1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slann / Kislev Circus New Slann - inducements and kick-off questions

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by happygrue, Aug 24, 2010.

1. happygrue

happygrue New Member

Country Flag:
    I'm starting a Slann team in my local league, and I'm pretty excited about it! I went with the high-reroll/no Krox team and my league allows two starting skills, so here it is:

1 Blitzer (with Wrestle)
    1 Blitzer (with Block)
    2 Catchers
    7 Linefrogs
    4 rerolls

The teams in my league are mostly a few hundred points higher in TV than my starting team. I am mostly worried about the bashing teams, and I was wondering weather a merc Krox or a wandering apothacary/merc linefrog would be a better option for my first game or two (until I can get an apoth on staff)?

My biggest question is about setup when kicking though. There is one Chaos team in the league that is 150K more than my team - so no Krox. They have 4CW and 7 beasts, and mostly have skills like Mighty Blow - there is no block at all. I don't think that winning against this team will be hard - if I have any players at all left! So how should I setup my frogs when kicking to have the best chance to keep them alive? I have been thinking something like the following (LoS is the left edge, 3 on the LoS and the rest are one space off the LoS), with the thought that if they fumble or I get a Blitz roll I might be able to really take advantage of the situation. What other options do I have?

--------------------

.L

.B
    L
    L
    L
    .C.........C
    .B

.L
    .L

.L

--------------------

EDIT: replaced spaces with dots so they'd show

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

For your Inductments, yes, I would pick up an Apoth as there is nothing worse then loseing your very expensive Blitzer first game. If you get a merc frog put him on the line and use him to tie up your enemy's big guy.

As for your line ups...

Something like this for receiving:
    [PLAY-CREATOR]6673[/PLAY-CREATOR]

And like this for Kicking, perhaps:
    [PLAY-CREATOR]6674[/PLAY-CREATOR]

Of course it also depends a lot on how your opponent sets up and all that but these are just examples.

One thing though, if your men are not on the LOS then you probably want them at least two squares back, not one, in case the enemy gets a quick snap kick off roll (which lets the offense move one square before their turn and get hits off on you on their first turn).

3. happygrue

happygrue New Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks, those are very helpful thoughts! With regard to the 2 spaces though, that would only matter while kicking I would think? Wouldn't I want to setup one space off the LoS in the wings, since there is no fear of quick snap (and maybe some benefit from it)?

Also, regarding those lineups - is it worth considering any danger to the catchers from something blitzing it with strength 5 (IE a 3-die blitz)? Or is that a crazy move that doesn't really pay off and isn't worth defending against?

And should the Blitzers be more protected? I would be tempted to nestle them into the line a bit more. Do you have the blitzer catcher combo out on the wings to give them a chance of getting into the backfield, or is there some other reason?

I am also curious how to defend against orcs (assume I have about 300K of inducements). I may or may not have an apothecary at that point, but there is a bashing orc team with the throw team mate threat that I'm wondering about. How can I best stop that turn 1 threat?

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    You can't protect everyone on your team when setting up.

Regarding setting up against the one turner this is only really a consideration on the very last turn of one of the drives usually.

If you just spread your players out about 8 squares back across the pitch. If the Goblin lands in one of the tackle zones it makes his landing roll harder, if he hits one your players and has the ball (which he will for TTM) then it is a turnover. They will then have to dodge through your line of players as well.

Regarding Inducements if your priority is to not get too badly beaten up then take a couple of Apothecaries and 2x Babes. If he is low on rerolls a Master Chef is handy though expensive. The former will help against losing your players and costing you money and also help to prevent from getting too badly outnumbered.

5. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Well if they are paying attention Quick Snap shouldn't help you either (as they will be staying 2 squares back as well). Still, yes, you don't need to fear a quick Snap when you have the ball, in fact if you're trying to be really agressive having your men on the mid field line is doable. Still, Slann don't strike me as that agressive of a team what with the lack of strength or block.

*Edit: It should be noted that when you're recieveing you get to place your team second anyway so you really should be placing your men to counter his rather then any set formation. Still it does help to have a "standard" and those are some of my standard formations.

Generally Strength 5 characters are either not that fast, ie. Mummies (and thus not likely to reach your Catcher well if he's back a couple squares) or usually put on the LOS, ie Trolls, Beast of Nurgle, ect... After the first turn it could be possible for him to blitz you and if that happens then it happens, it's almost impossible to fully defend against things like that and usually not worth it even if you can.

I tend to put my fastest players to the outside, both to get into the backfield or to find choice blocks/assists but also because if I need to shift my men from one side of the field to the other, they are the fastest players to go across the field with.

As for protecting your blitzers, it's hard to say. On one hand your blitzers are the only men currently on your team with Block/Wrestle, meaning they can survive getting hit better then your linemen. On the other, if they do get hit, roll poorly, and get taken out, then you're down a much more valuable player then say a lineman. I could see either being a solid argument so it's really more about what your feel is best.

If you're lineing up on turn 16 (or turn 8) and you know he only has throw teammate as his last option then just deploy your men deep and force him to make all the dodge rolls and throw/catch rolls to do it. There isn't much more you really can do. Now if you mean mid game, well if you're really worried about it, keeping a catcher or a blitzer int he back field playing safty works alright.

For general pointers, don't try to play the fighting game with him. Make use of your leap to stay away from him and only allow him a single block each turn (via Blitz). That plus your superior movement should hopefully see you through the worst of it. If you must block then try and make sure you have superior numbers in that area (leaping will help here as well).