1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next CC

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Fallowheart, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Now I want my money back! :mad:

2. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    That is why I paid only to change to Div 2 ! Its more "explainable" and GB can't make Div 2 into the higher TV without mucking up logic ! :D

3. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Argh, bested again... I have much to learn from you, Lebe!

4. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Good that you recognize this fact Nordic pupil !

Yet you did teach me that playing Skaven is dangerous ! :p

5. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:

that lessons been going around a lot lately :rolleyes:

So being new i'm guaranteed to be in Div 4 then huh? Is there a Div 8 for the hopeless like me?

6. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    3 or 4, depending on how many rookie teams there are, unless its a team coming in from CTA which can sometimes be 2, again depending on numbers.

7. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    hmm...

well I suppose I should try to get a few games in with my Skaven. (NO lebe, not you, or your accursed Nurgle!)

8. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    I'd suggest rejiggering the divisions so that div1 plays (old) div 4 first in the playoffs. I'd like to incentivize keeping the same team from season to season rather than re-rolling for an easier ride through to the final. Plus, the seedings would make more sense that way.

Div1: highest TV
    div2: lowest TV
    div3: 2nd highest TV
    div4: 3rd highest TV

9. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The problem there I fear is that it tends to imply Division 4 gets roundly smashed up by Division 1 rather than changing the eventual path of the top group to the final. From my own personal point of view, the Cup is attempting to both cater to those who wish to continue with their team and those who wish to try something new.

We as a community, and as a site, and I hope, by extension, as a league, exist for people to learn and to try and progress as Blood Bowl coaches.

10. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    Except, that someone from the lower tiers is eventually going to match up with a much higher TV team anyway. There is certainly no reason a lower TV team can't beat a higher rated one.

11. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Have to agree with Gallows, really. The game is balanced around giving the higher TV team a hard advantage - Darkson said so, so it must be true! :p

With that in mind, I prefer the idea of keeping the low-TV teams together for as long as possible so they have a fighting chance of making the final, which is how it's been since the Crunch Cup went perpetual in CCVI. Since then we've had a ratio of three winners from the veteran bracket to one from the rookie divisions, which seems about right to me.

TV means skills, and skills are an extremely valuable advantage; if this wasn't the case, nobody would ever be bothered when a player got crippled or whether their team progressed at all. I'm not sure why you'd need any greater incentive for keeping the same team beyond being able to keep the same team :rolleyes:

12. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The earlier reasoning was that "rookie teams might fluke one win against much higher TV, but are unlikely to manage two - thus they shouldn't have to meet much higher TV before the final to make it reasonably exciting for them as well"

So there you have it. Besides, this isn't OCC - you can reroll one season, then bring back your experienced team the next one.

13. Flanks

Flanks Member

Country Flag:
    I didn't ditch my roller to try and drop out of div1 though :p I dropped it to stop giving away an extra free wizard on a borderline useless big guy!

14. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Also I was in your div that year, and it didn't backfire horribly, iirc you won the division and if I don't you weren't far off.

15. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    I saw your "Oh No" comments when you saw you'd "fallen" up into Div 1 ! Don't deny it ! :D

But as far as Big Guys go its a bloat for sure... if it were not secret weapons it be way cooler !

16. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    So rather than start a new thread i'm just going to put this here.

I have a horrible time deciding on what to play for CCX. It seems to have always been this way with me, where I waffle back and forth between any number of different choices. Blood Bowl is no exception (perhaps worse?).

I'd like to play Skaven, but it seems that Skaven are very well represented and very very fragile; which would appear to be a poor combination for a coach that is new to the CC.
    I am not too keen on Orcs, and i've gotten my Dark Elf fix with my current league. I started with Necromantic and I have a certain love for a team where regeneration is the norm, but the call of Nurgle seems very strong. The only problem there is that Nurgle is so godawfully slow to develop. No skills, not even block to start. I thought about Chaos but that's the same problem as Nurgle, but without the regen.

I just don't know. Choosing a team that has no survivability for a newer coach is a big mistake I think (that's why Orcs are always suggested, they have great armor and strength; same with Undead, regen everywhere). AV9 is just incredibly strong. I suppose I can get destroyed with any team (and with my luck thats likely to happen) but it seems like hedging my bets is better. First team in... i'd like to survive!

17. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    1st... Chaos is not Nurgle with no regen... CWarriors have agi 3 and are overall faster. Its a common mistake due to their apparent similarities. Chaos also need more skills... Nurgle have a more defensive mindset and are more capable in thwarting elves.

I'd say that the main factor is what will be more fun for you... a team you'd play 2-4 seasons with. Skaven can be frustrating and one bad game can set you back to worse than MD1. But they play well right out of the box.

CC is not as long term set as OCC. So its possible to play teams that will never morph into full blow claw POMBers. So fragile teams in CC fare better than OCC too.

I feel Necro are more flexible than other options... but they are not as newbie friendly due to frenzy as strange positionals.

18. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Well the good news is there's still time. Are you aware you can play warm up games in our open league CTA? Up to 6 in fact. So you could try a team or a couple of teams out and hedge your bets so to speak. Be aware that teams break in CTA too, and that teams that do well in CTA don't always do well in the competition proper.

I'm all for diversity but not at the expense of enjoyment. I took High Elves last time round and in all honesty I kind of suck with them, but I enjoyed the experience and there's plenty of people willing to give advice.

If you're talking about a team that is durable and forgiving for a new coach I would suggest Dwarfs but nobody will thank me for that suggestion. It's slow and grindy but all that block and tackle can make mincemeat of opponents and most people you face will struggle to deal with it if you are careful and budget for the lack of speed. Undead are another good choice and faster to boot. But neither of these teams are going to give you anything like the Skaven playstyle, so if you wanted something similar with a better chance I'd try Wood Elves who are a little more durable simply because they can dodge away from the fight. Also I'd recommend lizardmen, another long term team really, but their strength and speed means they can do well in a competition like this.

19. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:

of course you're right, 5MV and 3Agil mean chaos wars can actually handle the ball, where nurgle wars are agil 2 and MV4. Rotters with Nurgle too. They feel similar in my mind I suppose. The big guys are totally different as well.

The 'one-bad game' is what's stopping me from going Wood Elves/Skaven.
    I've had a pretty great season with my Darkies so far and put a serious hurt on a couple of the coaches with low armor players as a result. The Skaven team I actually forced him to drop over 300TV. From one game that's incredibly costly, and after the first outing with you i'm certain i'll fall into that trap before I get to a point where I can hold my own. (lets be honest i'm a good coach against my current league peers, but here i'm bottom barrel).

I love frenzy and tend to use my assists well to limit the risk with those pieces. I've really only had it bite me once, but of course it cost me the game and ultimately a place in the final last season. Necro are fun.

20. Fallowheart

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    haha! everyone hates dwarves for the starting skills they have. Those blockers are right out of the box complete players for their role. They really only need one skill up to get Guard and be perfect.

Lizardmen are a team i've experimented with a bit. I like their speed.

I know CTA is a good place to try things out. I put two teams in there and have only been able to play a single match (which ended with a new team being made as Lebe killed two of my players). i probably should have forgone the Recruitment Fair to concentrate on figuring out a team for CCX, but with all the posts on it I just couldnt pass it up. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.