1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Nuffleween

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by dodger, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, I just learned of a TT tourney near enough to me, in less than 2 weeks! I may end up going. I was wondering about suggestions for a team build considering a) the only minis are have are a dark elf set, and b) the special rules for team building here:

http://bothdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013-Nuffle-Ween-Tournament-Rules-Packet.pdf

One of the rules is that I could hire any of the undead star players as part of my regular team, since it's a halloween themed event, but I'm unsure if they'd allow me to sub a DE mini for that guy...

P. S. Anyone on bbtactics going to this?

2. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    Paint some bones on him like a skeleton suit, bam! hallowe'en themed mini

then just put whatever name you want on the bottom

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  3. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Basically I can have a 1100 TV roster, then I can add 1 skill to some players, at 20k per regular skill, 30k per doubles skill, total of 150k in skills.

So, I can have 5 doubles skills, 7 regular skills, or 6 regular and 1 double, etc.

The tourney is 4 games, after each game someone loses a skill. In a loss I can pick who, but they lose the skill for the remainder of the tournament. For a tie or win, a random player with a bonus skill loses that skill for the next game.

Also worth note we're using a custom weather table that could have the affects of blizzard and pouring rain at the same time, or very sunny and sweltering heat at the same time.

Here are some of the options I'm looking at, all with 3 rerolls. Your thoughts?

4 blodge blitzers
    blodge witch
    multiple block assassin
    5 line elves - 1 with kick or maybe wrestle?

4 blodge blitzers
    blodge witch
    2 runners - 1 catch, 1 pass?
    4 line elves

4 blodge blitzers
    blodge witch
    1 runner with pass?
    5 line elves - 1 with guard

Am I on the right track, focusing on basics that should be good in all cases, instead of going after the more situational skills like tackle, strip ball, etc?

4. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    strip ball is the opposite of situational, there will be very little surehands, and plenty of ballcarriers

stripball means you have the ballcarrier more often :)

5. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Maybe put it on a blitzer instead of dodge?

6. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    it's a toss up between Blitzer and witch, witch can get to the ball easier, blitzer can get the better -2d block (if it's necessary).

7. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    also, you can't get sweltering heat and sunny...

The weather table shows that result on a 1, which is impossible on 2d6

(player cost/skills cost)
    2 Blodge Blitzers (200/40)
    2 Block/Tackle Blitzers (200/40)
    1 Juggernaut Witch! (110/30)
    2 Wrestle Linos (140/40)
    4 Linos (280/0)
    2 RR
    apo

OR

1 Blodge Blitzer (100/20)
    1 Tackle Blitzer (100/20)
    1 NoS runner (80/20)
    1 Sure Hands Lino (70/20)
    3 Wrestle Linos (210/60)
    4 Linos (280/0)
    Eldril Sidewinder
    1 RR

Crazy Gaze, cagebreak, retrieve and handoff to the runner!

OR conservative:

2 Blodge Blitzers
    1 Guard Blitzer
    1 Tackle Blitzer
    1 NoS Runner
    2 Wrestle Linos
    4 Linos
    3 RRs
    apo

This gives you 7 skilled players, with some overlap. If the runner needs to egt hit you'll often have a 2+ pass, 3+ catch to retain the ball. You'll have 3 RRs (notice that you can't GAIN rerolls from kickoff events, only lose them) the guard blitzer can give you a chance on the LOS, the tackle on for sacking the ball, and the blodgers for marking.

That being said, i'm crap with coming up with workable teams for these events. If the roster resets (deaths/perms don't carry over), then drop the apo for 1 AC/CL/FF and swap a lino to an assassin? If just to absorb blitzes and scare the opposition.

8. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I believe 2 Witches and 3 Blitzers tends to be favoured these days. Dodge all the Blitzers and Block / Wrestle the Witches.

Leader on the Runner (no other reason to take him or give a skill imo).

Guard on a Lineman is solid too.

The link to the pdf isn't loading for me but I assume all the above should be fine based on other replies.

9. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    leader is the only banned skill Coach

10. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Well it is good to see the mighty coach mostly agreeing with my instinctual approach. I do have to say Lim's suggestion of Juggernaut on a witch seems a bit tempting. The runner was basically becasue I had the TV for either a runner or an assassin or a lineman in that position... and I thought one more player at MA 7 instead of 6 might give me more options on the field.

I'll have to play with the numbers some more and consider a 2 witch roster.

11. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, looks like 3 blitzer, 2 witches, 6 linemen, and 3 rerolls meets my exact TV allowance.

Then I can Dodge all 3 blitzers, Block and/or wrestle both witches, have guard on a Lino, and have one more normal skill for a lino. Lots of good options for that last skill...

Another option is to take guard on 1 lino and 2 blitzers... then dodge on 3rd blitzer, and block/wrestle on the witches...

I can't well blitz and run with two witches every turn... so if I'm going to have to leave one in base contact at the end of my turn to get a block with her the next, I like the idea of having more guard around her...

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    Guard is great to have, but Dodge makes you more manoeuvrable and saves rerolls. Not to mention the extra protection it gives vs most teams.

Juggernaut is also nice but not better than Block or Wrestle, again for the protection and you may not always be blitzing. I do generally prefer Block on them both but you need some way to deal with Block + Dodge players so Wrestle on one fits the limitations best, especially with Frenzy to give you a second chance.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

13. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Well... 3 blitz 2 witches 6 linos still leaves me with 10k to spare on TV...

I could go with a runner and 5 linos, and put wrestle on the runner so I can blodge both witches. But the runner wouldn't have dodge to help him get there or frenzy for the second chance.

14. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    put tackle on one blitzer and put dodge on the runner.

1 tackle might go a long way towards dealing with opposing blodgers, especially if you can't free a witch...you'll still have 4 blodgers with 2 witches and 2 blitzers having it.

15. Coach

Country Flag:
    Only reason to take a runner would be to get Leader imo. Three rerolls and lots of Dodge should be fine though. You will also prefer to carry the ball with a Block + Dodge player.

Rather have Wrestle on a Witch and Dodge on a Blitzer than try to fit in Tackle, teams without Dodge are popular in tournaments. Tackle Blitzer isn't as mobile as a Wrestle Witch who also has the benefit of Frenzy. Not to mention Dodge is going to be useful a lot more turns than Tackle would be on the whole.

You are more likely to free a Witch than a Tackle Blitzer!

16. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I didn't place top 3 but I went 2-0-2 for the competition and won best offense for the most TD's scored, despite an uncanny ability for my opponents to break AV 8 armor.