1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCC - ApocaBlitz Now!

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by danton, May 4, 2011.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If you don't want to induce loner linemen at 100k a pop, then option 2 is probably the best way to keep as many players as possible on pitch. (Using apo also on BH, I suppose?)

2. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that would be the idea. Use the extra Apo on the first BH regardless of who it is on. I already have two rookie linos, so getting a couple of additional loner mercs doesn't appeal much to me. I'd rather have the two babes, as they can make a big difference.

3. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I like option 2. The numbers game will be crucial and he is going to get players off the pitch more than likely.

4. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    I would go with option 2 as well. Options 1 & 3 are the more risky game winners for this game but you possibly need to think more long term in protecting your team and option 2 is the best one for that.

5. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
    i would think about sidewinder if you have stripball on your team. with no sure hands on the chaos side you could get yourself some easy steals.

he is like a wiz and an extra player combined :p

other option is 1 loner and 2 babes.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, Sidewinder certainly opens up some options for getting at the ball, but he is quite fragile too and a failed gaze on a CW with MB can mean the end of the game for him!

I think I'll more than likely go with the Apo and Babes. Thanks for the feedback!

7. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    First of, congrats for the first 2 games. I couldn't watch the whole replays since they bugged (probably due to the update) but it seems you pretty much controlled the games perfectly :)

For that upcoming match, I'd go against the majority and take option 1. I know the wizard is always a bit random but it also allow some plays that would be impossible otherwise.

Option 2 is appealing but you'll probably have to burn your first apo on a rookie lineman in the first couple turns... I'm not sure that'll be that helpful.

Option 3 seems horrible to me. I hate hypno gaze and Eldril is too fragile for that kind of game.

8. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    I really like option 2 as it seems the most consistent of the 3 choices. Especially since youre currently at 11 players (right?) for the match. Keeping your players healthy, even rookie line-elfs, will be extremely important. Also with that amount of mighty blow, the bloodweiser babes will be worth their weight in gold come kick off!

9. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    As a Woodies coach, I always regarded Eldril to be one of the best star players in the game (TT that is, with more to choose from than Cyanide), Hypnotic Gaze is certainly an awesome skill on Elves.

However, I don't think I would take him against a bashy team, AV7 and no Block means he'll eat dirt pretty quickly. I say option 2, for staying power and long-term protection for your players.

Good luck in the game! When is it due?

10. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys. The game was played on Saturday and I'll try and recap it as well as I can with a little help from the BB Manager log.

I went with option 2 (Apo and Babes) and I would probably choose the same option again if given the choice now. I won the toss and chose to kick first, lining up with an asymmetrical formation despite still not having a kicker. The kick was high anyway and the main ball carrier beast had no trouble reaching the safety of an LOS cage on turn 1. One of my rookie linos was Badly Hurt by the Mino on the first round of blocks and after thinking long and hard I decided it was worth bringing him back with the extra Apo. His killer beast blitzed Death, but luckily only managed to stun him and didn't use PO to try and make it worse, probably fearing he would be exposed to a gang foul next turn.

Next turn I formed a screen in front of his cage before blitzing his other agile beastman with Hecate. She Badly Hurt him thanks to his Av 7 and both teams were down to 10 players. Exposing his other agile blodging ball carrier to such an easy blitz that early was clearly a mistake by my opponent, that I was glad to be able to take advantage of! He kept his cage tight after that, using Tentacles and DT in combination to trap some of my players. His killer blitzed War and KO'd him, reducing me to 9 players, but next turn Medea blitzed his niggled Wrestle beast and KO'd it too, so parity was briefly restored.

His cage edged forward again and another blitz by the killer beast Badly Hurt Malice, although he ended the turn with a couple of my players in contact with the front of his cage, relying on his Guard, Stand Firm and high strength to keep the ball safe. Death's Guard proved invaluable, as it meant that I could get a 2D blitz on a Stand Firm warrior with Medea, who had his ankle smashed by her! The Chaos Apo offered a smashed hip instead and suddenly the Chaos line shielding the ball carrier was looking a lot weaker and it was 8 v 8!

Next turn they could only stun a lino and their killer beast failed to knock Death over. He helped Medea to blitz him and she penetrated his armour, stunning the beast, which was all that was needed. Death then dodged round the back and got a tackle zone on the carrier. The agile beast carrying the ball went into panic mode and dodged away from Death, burning a re-roll in the process thanks to Tackle, before blitzing Vitriol in my backfield, only managing to push him though. Next turn the lino Rage escaped the mino's tentacles and assisted Vitriol to knock over the only beast supporting the lone ball carrier. Hecate came crashing in from the right and tackled the beast directly into the KO bin, before scooping up the loose ball herself. Meanwhile both Death and Medea ran forward into the opposing half to act as receivers.

The Chaos team used up a re-roll on a GFI to get an assist on Hecate, before another warrior barreled forward and made a GFI to blitz Hecate. She used Dodge, SS and Fend to get away from him though and was in the clear next turn. I created a pocket on the left flank for Hecate to try a 3+ pass to Medea in the clear and she made the pass after using a re-roll, but Medea dropped it and was KO'd by the killer beast next turn. He was alone and isolated in his own half though and Hecate and Vitriol combined to take him down, while Death scooped the ball up and ran forward. The Chaos team were out of re-rolls, but the killer beast was still able to get up, make two dodges (4+ and 3+) and 2 GFIs to blitz Death into the turf. Fortunately he couldn't break his armour despite Piling On. On turn 8 I was left with a 2+ pick-up with re-roll in hand for Hecate to score. 1-0 at half time!

Both my KOs came back for the second half thanks to the Babes, but so did both of my opponent's unfortunately and I had 10 players versus 11. Vitriol collected the kick and passed to Medea deep in my half in order to get to 16 spp and ensure a level-up. I had to blow a re-roll on a rookie lino blocking on the LOS, but it was worth it as he KO'd a rookie beast. Hecate only managed to wrestle down a Stand Firm CW as the last action of the turn. The Chaos team repositioned to mark up my players and the killer beast tried to blitz War, but could only push him despite using a re-roll. Then I had a bit of a set-back, as the first move of my next turn was a failed 1+1 dodge! The ball was still safe in my backfield, but it left a lot of my players exposed, resulting in two of my players getting KO'd next turn.

Medea surged forward with the ball and blitzed a rookie beastman that was threatening, sending it off the field Badly Hurt! Death managed to get into the opposing half as a potential receiver and he got blitzed, but stayed standing and was promptly marked by three players. Rage took down and stunned a warrior trying to threaten the ball and then I rolled 1+1 again trying to hand off to Vitriol in the safety of a three quarter cage! Death subsequently had no chance to escape his markers and was finally Badly Hurt by the killer beastman, before Medea was KO'd on the blitz. The agile beastman dodged into a TZ and picked the ball up in a TZ and my position was not looking great.

Horror KO'd a beast and then Rage dodged to blitz the ball carrier with 2 dice, managing to wrestle him down with the help of a re-roll. Hecate then risked a couple of GFIs to get another TZ on the ball, before War escaped his marker on the sideline and made it into scoring range. The Chaos team failed to clear the TZs on the ball, with the Mino blitzing in, but only managing to push a lino out of the scrum. The Chaos turn then ended early with a failed 1+1 GFI by the killer beastman trying to join the fray, but ending up face down in the mud!

The Chaos team still had a DT beast next to my runner Vitriol and my options were limited, but there was a chance to capitalize on the situation! First Hecate took down the rookie CW on a 1 die block, clearing the only TZ on the ball. Then Horror dodged away from the Mino and blitzed the DT beast with 1 die, needing anything other than a skull. He broke the tentacled embrace and was able to wrestle the beast down, freeing up Vitriol! If he had failed to escape the tents I still had the option of a 4+ dodge with a rr in hand to escape, but this way was better! :) War dodged away to the endzone and then Vitriol needed a 2+ dodge, 2+ pick-up, and 3+ pass, which all worked without needing to use the rr! 2-0!!

2 out of 3 of my KOs came back and I just sat most of my team deep in my half for the remaining turns, while the Chaos team Badly Hurt a lino and failed to get an spp on their rookie CW despite three passing attempts! So it ended 2-0.

I felt that the Apo and Babes helped me to stay in the game to a large extent, greatly helped by the three casualties caused by my two witches, who both made vital contributions. During the first half there were many turns where I would have loved to have had a wizard, due to the large cage employed by the Chaos team, but there is no guarantee that it would have had an impact on the game. I thought that I defended well in the first half and was quite patient, while waiting for the right opportunity to engage the cage. In the second half the two snake-eyes rolls put me on the back foot, but some good dice towards the end of the drive saved the day.

The only player to level up was the runner Vitriol and I'll probably give him Accurate if he rolls normally. The good news is that I should also be able to afford to buy a replacement blitzer now!

11. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Solid win and nicely done defence for the initial lead.

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Gallows. Just realized that the pass for the second TD, was actually 4+ (Long Pass). Was still reasonable odds to make it thanks to the Pass skill and team re-roll in hand all the same.

Knowing he was about to level up I probably just assumed he already had Accurate! :eek:

13. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Nice write-up and congratulations on the win. Also congratulations on getting enough funds for the new Blitzer! I say name him Avarice, it's relevant to the day and age we live in, as opposed to Plague. :)

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Purgatory. I'm quite sure I once had a lino named Avarice on the team before, so that rules that out. I'm quite set on the name Plague and intend on making another DT blitzer out of him, so his name may turn out to be quite appropriate if he lives for long enough!

15. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You should make a list with the help of old BBM reports, then. Because if you are going to let "Quite Sure" stop you, then either you'll miss names you only thought a lot about but then let slide in favor for something else - or you'll finally reuse a name without intending to. ;)

16. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    That sounds too much like hard work! :p

Don't worry, I have quite a good memory... well, I am quite sure I do anyway... I think... what was I on about...? :confused:

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You were just about to add a lineman called "Avarice" :p

(Or Miser, to go back to the old book, or is that on the "history" list as well?)

18. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Hell, I'm going to name a lineman "Avarice" anyway :p

I like to keep a personal record of past players, both dead and retired (case in point, the first post in my Underworld Blog).

19. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Everyone else is welcome to name one of their players Avarice!!

I gave Accurate to Vitriol and bought a rookie blitzer called Plague!! :D

Only 20K left in the kitty unfortunately... :(

The team as it stands now:

[​IMG]

20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Still looks like a very solid team, despite Pestilence's departure.

It's also nice to see that new tabula rasa Blitzer, just waiting to be shaped into something new. :)