1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCC: Archons of Malice

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Anglakhel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    That's a rough match. sometimes the dice don't go as planned, or even the players aren't as "well trained" as other teams of the same race (failing the simplest catches and GFI's repeatedly).

I hope your next match goest better for you.

2. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Ouch... yeah, that's just some nasty stats. Hang in there, tho. Luck that bad is statistically implausible to continue for much longer.

3. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Was going to cut Vharrik before my last game, but I forgot. He was helpful though.

About to face Dode's Hangmen.

Thinking I might finally retire Vharrik to the Coaching staff. He'd free up a lot of TV for some more Inducements.

His Wrodge would be useful, but no Tackle is really going to limit him against Dode's DaEs. I think only two players don't have Dodge. Plus he's quite vulnerable with his Injuries and Niggle.

A terrible season has me ready to cut players and regroup for a fresh start next season. Is now the time to cut Vharrik, or would he be more useful than Inducements against Dode's well skilled, but only 11 druchii roster?

Added a bit more of a detailed analysis:

About to face Dode's Hangmen.

We're both going to have 11 players. I will have 1 or 2 Journeymen.

Considering firing Vharrik before the match and letting him retire to the Coaching staff.

If I keep him, I'll have 130k Inducements with 1 Journeyman. If I fire him, I'll have 250k Inducements with 2 Journeymen.

Vharrik has no Tackle, so he's less dangerous against 9/11 Hangmen players. Plus, one of the two remaining has Fend, so no Piling On. That leaves one really vulnerable target, a Block/Guard/AV7 Lineelf. A tempting target for sure. But will Vharrik get a chance to hit him? Can someone else deal with him?

On paper, the Archons are quite outmatched. The Hangmen only have 11 and some battered players, but they have well spread skills with some very competent Lineelves.

The Archons have a Rookie WE, 1-2 Journeymen, and a number of Injuries.

Now seems like it might be a good time for a cut to Vharrik, but I'm a bit tempted to let him play to see my two All Stars square off against the two Hangmen All Stars.

Any thoughts?

I'm stuck in 2A regardless. Not getting a Promotion after my last two ridiculous losses. This one is just for pride.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    With nothing to play for but pride. and Vharrik's long and proud history with the Archons, my advice is to follow your heart and keep him for the remaining two games before retiring in the mid-season break. Hopefully he'll give another one of Dode's elves -MV, if he's a disaster, you can't be relegated anyway.

5. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Hmm, is a tough call. DodeĀ“s team is also quite battered. But in the end I dont think the MB/ Piling On alone is going to cut it. Elves can score with little pieces on the field anyways.

I believe the Wizard may be much more powerful by helping you score in defense or ensuring you maintain the lead if you have it.

He s got 4 AV7, for your only 2, but he s got 4 Guards for your 2 plus his 2 ST4, so careful on brawls, try and stretch a line while keeping the ball behind it in a tight cage.

Hit those AV7 (the witch is the real problem, target no1) while playing a running game and see if you can get some numebrs advantage. His witch is MB though so the numbers game is going to be a coin toss methinks.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Well, the Archons of Malice Win a smashmouth game of Druchii Blood Bowl going up 2-1 against Khaine's Hangmen.

Super Star Vharrik remained on the roster, despite speculation that the Archons would finally cut him due to excessive injuries. Rather than coming equipped with a Sorceress and Bribe of the Ref, the Archons settled for a Bribe. The Archons fought dirty throughout the match, looking for vicious hits from Vharrik and Dirty Play from Aedthel, all under the leadership of Tharghast Darkhowl.

The Hangmen won the coin toss and elected to receive the ball. While the Hangmen defended the ball, the Archons sought out opportunities to hurt critical Hangmen players. Early fouling proved ineffectual and the Archons were forced to use their Bride early in the match. The Archons were unable to stop the Hangmen from scoring about midway through the first half, but they had plenty of time on the clock and put together an effective scoring drive, after some missteps by the Hangmen, and in the process managed to get some critical KOs to get a player advantage on the pitch.

At the half, all the Archons KOs came back and the Hangmen started the half with two players in the KO box. The Hangmen didn't let them enjoy the numbers advantage for too long though as they launched a lightning fast Blitz against Archons. The deep Kick bounced out the back of the goal though and the Archons were able to get the ball into the hands of Tharghast Darkhowl at the midfield line.

The Archons sought to defend the ball near midfield and press their numbers advantage. The Leaping duo of Hera and Bia proved to be a constant threat though and the Archons were constantly under assault. As the scrum developed near midfield on one half of the pitch, the Archons moved the ball cross field and away from most of the remaining Hangmen. Seeing an opportunity to remove a few last threats though, the Archons brought their manpower back to scrum and nearly ruined their chances for a win. They set a Block against the obscenely strong Hades, but were unable to bring him down, leaving him in contact with Telthl, the Ball Carrier. A Gang Foul saw Zeus of the Hangmen meet his Death and go to Khaine, but the Hangmen had a chance. The set a hit against Telthel and knocked the ball loose. The Hangmen's Runner was able to recover the ball after some Blocking by the Hangmen and the skilled Guards of the Hangmen made it difficult for the Archons to bring a hit against the Runner.

The Archons sought to open something up, and finally delivered a Blitz against the Runner who attempted a Dump Off which sent the ball bouncing all over through the scrum with many failed Catch attempts. The ball bounced free though and left the Archons a chance to recover the loose ball, which they did, and tossed a Scattered Pass deep to the only Archons player in range of the endzone, Emerging Star Blitzer Thakthin Lost-One. The Hangmen had one last chance though and were able to free up Hades for the Blitz. He put Lost-One down and marked the downed Blitzer and the ball. The Hangmen did their best to cover and the Archons quickly realized the game all came down to Lost-One. The Blitzer sprang to his feet and slipped free from Hades and Bia, scooping up the ball and making a dash for the endzone, pushing himself hard to make the final cross into glory.

Archons fans erupted in celebration as they realized they were watching the future of the Archons franchise. Tharghast Darkhowl was awarded the MVP, but Archons fans are expecting to see big things from Thakthin Lost-One.

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nice one! :pow::D

8. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Good result there against a really good team. Nice to see you kept Vharrik. It's going to be really hard to click the x against his name.

9. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah.

I'm going to have a really hard time releasing either Vharrik or Darkhowl.

I didn't mention it, but Diving Tackle was a game winner for me on several big plays.

Next week I face another Druchii squad with a scary Witch Elf that just hit Super Star this week and now has ST5. Yikes.

I have a long shot at taking 2nd place.

If the current #2 loses this week and loses again next week, I could steal into 2nd with a Win next week.

It kills me that I've had some rotten luck and blown games with silly mistakes. I should have 1st locked down at this point. I can't believe I even have a shot at 2nd still.

It's a longshot though. Nasty, undefeated Chaos squad has to lose to Humans this week and I'm not sure who they face next week.

10. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Killed Zeus eh ?! How did that guy survive so long ?! 2 niggling ?! :rolleyes:

11. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah. Double Niggle is just asking for it.

He was on top of my Hit List, but I didn't get a chance for a Dirty Player Gang Foul until very late in the match. Still, I couldn't pass up +3 to the Injury roll.

12. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    As an update, the 2nd place team lost on Match Day 8. The Archons are now 2pts out of 2nd place. A Loss or Draw for the 2nd place Chaos team on Match Day 9 means its possible for the Archons to capture 2nd place with a Win on Match Day 9.

We play against a Dark Elf team with a scary Strength 5 Witch Elf.

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, best of luck then. :cool:

14. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Piling on on the bitch and if that does not work then FOULING - its your civic duty:D

15. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah. She's Target #1 for a Gang Foul if I can get a shot at her.

16. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    I would also make her Target #2 and #3 aswell for good measure.

17. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Things are not looking good for the Archons.

The Bulldogs Won their match 3-1. We were already tied in TD +/- and the next Tiebreaker was ranking the Bulldogs ahead of the Archons.

Even if the Gods Themselves lose their match, we need to Win by 3 TDs to ensure winning the Tiebreaker against the Bulldogs.

3-0 is not an easy result to achieve. We're going to have to play fast and aggressive and count on our Defense to stop and turnover the Nocturnals.

This would all be irrelevant if we hadn't blown our match against the Bulldogs and our match against the Severed Hand.

18. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    You'll only get a big TD difference like that if the oppo team is badly outnumbered... :(

19. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Guided by Khaine and their Emerging Stars, the Archons of Malice pull off a stunning 4-1 victory over the Nocturnals.

The Archons have put themselves in position to return to Division 1, but everything now rests on the Gods Themselves failing to Win their final match. A Draw or Loss will see the Archons return to Division 1.

I hope to write a full Match Report tomorrow.

You should check out the play I had to make on Turn 16 for the 4th TD.

Holy Nuffle, I needed that.

20. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Just watched the replay. It was a bit hard to follow because of the similar color but it was quite an interesting game! That's the kind of play I love with agi 5 all around ;)