1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCC: Archons of Malice

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Anglakhel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    gratz!! When do the gods play their game?

2. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    The Killer Swedes are set to face The Gods Themselves on Tuesday at 22:00 GMT. The Gods must Win if they want to capture 2nd place back from the Archons of Malice.

Archons vs Nocturnals wasn't pretty or conventional BB. We weren't playing to Win, we were playing to Win by 3 TDs. The Nocturnals weren't sure what to make of our unusually aggressive tactics and their will to stop us was no match for our will.

They became more and more discouraged despite the Archons missing out on several golden opportunities including a dropped pass at the end of the first half, a failure to stop the Nocturnals score, and a blown chance to create a late game sack.

Still, the Archons blew three good chances to set up a 3 point Win only to secure it in the final moments of play with a highly improbable play and no Team RRs remaining.

Hopefully Nuffle continues to lash out at our enemies and guide us back to Division 1.

3. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Congrats for doing what you needed to do! I hope you make it back to division 1 - always nice to have a BBTer up there.

4. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Archons Update after Season 12 in Division 2A.

Archons of Malice
    10 Players
    TV: 1900 (Level Ups Pending)
    RR: 4
    Apothecary
    Cheerleaders: 0
    Assistant Coaches: 0
    Treasury: 130k

Blitzers:

05 Tharghast Darkhowl: Super Star (135 SPP): Block, Diving Tackle, Dodge, Side Step, Tackle, +1 Strength, -1 Strength
    02 Urukh Irontower: Star (65 SPP): Block, Diving Tackle, Dodge, Side Step, Tackle, -1 MA
    01 Thakthin Lost-one: Star (59 SPP): Block, Dodge, Guard, +1 Agility [NORMAL ROLL]
    04 Mharlakh Bloodmourn: Experienced (10 SPP): Block, Dodge

Runners:

09 Rhiklan Ragewind: Star (54 SPP): Dodge, Dump-Off, Wrestle, +1 Agility [6+5]

Witch Elves:

03 Trikh Terrorsong: Rookie (5 SPP): Dodge, Jump Up, Frenzy

Lineelves:

10 Vharrik: Super Star (91 SPP): Dodge, Jump Up, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Wrestle, -1 MA, Niggle, -1 Agility
    06 Telthel: Emerging Star (42 SPP): Dodge, Guard, +1 Strength, Niggle
    12 Khyros: Experienced (21 SPP): Dodge, Wrestle
    08 Aedthel: Rookie (12 SPP): Dirty Player

So, the two Players that are the future of the Archons of Malice hit Star in our final game of Season 12.

Thakthin Lost-One has shot up to 65 SPPs, which means his next level should come soon, and rolled a Normal Roll on his pending Skill Up. My plan has been to take Leap and I don't see a lot of really tempting other options that would offer me the unique possibilities of having an Agility 5 Leaper with Guard. Would be happy to hear ideas though.

Rhiklan Ragewind also hit Star and now has 54 SPPs. Rhiklan has Wrodge and Agility 5 at the moment. I was very tempted to take Leap and then possibly follow up with Strip Ball to make him a Defensive threat. He could forgo Tackle in favor of pulling the ball loose.

Nuffle has thrown a wrench into my plans though and gifted Rhiklan with a [6+5]. More Agility! Do I take it? Agility 6 doesn't make him a better Passer, but I don't count on him as a Passer anyway. Where it is intriguing is the possibility of him making some insane Dodges on a 2+ and having an ability to really scoop up the ball in traffic. He should be far off from Super Star at which point I could find another skill to really help him out. Leap may be a bit non-optimal though if I take Agility 6. Unless there is a solid wall to bypass, Dodging through will often be as easy (2+) and more dependable with a built in RR (Dodge, unless they have Tackle).

What should I do with these future Druchii All Stars?

5. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Hmm.

I guess I'm wrong about TD +/- being the first Tie Breaker.

I just looked at the Rankings in Cyanide and despite having a +6 TD Differential compared to the Mighty Bulldogs +5 TD Differential, I'm being placed at 3rd in the Rankings while the Bulldogs are ranked 2nd.

Maybe it takes Head to Head results and I'm 3rd because I blew my match against the Bulldogs.

Depressing.

Looks like I'm staying in 2A no matter what happens with The Gods Themselves.

6. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    It probably depends on the league rules more than Cyanide rankings. In my league in-game rankings are completely disregarded and the admins decide according to the rules established at the beginning of the season. So I wouldn't give up hope right now :)

7. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    The OCC goes with the ingame Ranking, despite it's arcane secrets.

So unless the game revalues our ranking when the week is concluded, hope is lost for this coming season.

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Final evaluation seems to change upon "day forward" according to the discussions in Div 1 (Where Lizards and Orcs share points for #1)

9. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Damn.

Sorry to hear that mate :(

10. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    As far as I'm aware it's TD difference based on games that were actually played, so discounting any admined games. Does that make any more sense for this division?

11. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    I'm hoping that might be the case, but I haven't noticed this kind of difference before in the expected rankings. I can usual match between BB Manager and expected Rankings in the Cyanide client pretty well.

Which makes me think so other rule takes precedence in this case.

I don't think either of us were affected by an Admin game.

The Bulldogs crashed when facing us and we reset the match, but I don't think either of us suffered from or benefited from Admin'd matches the rest of the season.

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, the tie-break system in the game client is hard to understand at best!

On the plus side we might finally get to play each other next season. ;)

13. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah.

I did everything I could based upon the understanding that the first Tie Break is TD +/-.

However, I'm still showing as 3rd in the client despite having a better TD +/-.

The Gods Themselves did Lose their match 0-1. I should be celebrating pulling off a miracle and ascending back to Division 1, but instead I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what criteria were used by the client to break the Tie.

It has been speculated that Admin games are not properly counted into TD +/- and the Bulldogs had an Admin Draw that might be screwing up the ranking, but it doesn't make any sense to me why that would propel them past the Archons.

Oh well.

14. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Correct me if I am wrong but moving on to the next division or not is not handled by the game client no?

It is the OCC rules that dictate who moves on or not, irrespective of what the client says, and the admins seed the groups manually at the start of a season.

And I would swear there is a thread in the OCC forum about the rules of the league that includes tie breaker criteria, which should favout better TD +/- ... lemme see if I can find it...

EDIT: found it here http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index...-of-tie-breakers-for-bonus-promotions-in-occ/

This tie breaker thread linked above is about "bonus" promotions (the ones that happen when there are teams re rolling or retired) but there is no reason why the same principles should not be applied to the normal promotions when there is a tie.

You mentioned above that there are no artificial TDs due to admin´ed games in your total TD so it should be pretty straight forward in this case. I think you better ask for a clarification to Pidpad and/or Dode just in case?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  15. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Hope it works out for you, Anglakhel. Can't really understand the logic of using head-to-head results AND TD-difference at the same time, but who the heck knows what kind of mess Cyanide has made in the code.

Good luck!

16. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Would be sad that a promotion in D1 would be decided by Cyanide's stupid system... but anyways, should you remain in D2, Im sure you'll do well and maybe that's the occasion to rebuild the team before geting back to D1!

17. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    The OCC uses the client's results unless there was an error by an Admin. For example, a game was awarded to the wrong team or a Draw should have been a Win for one team.

In this case, there seems to be a client error due to the Admin Draw, but there is no way to prove that since no one knows for certain what the actual Tie Breaks are in the Cyanide client.

It can't be Head to Head since Caracarn is tied with us on points, but beat both our Teams and TV doesn't work either since his TV was higher than both of us at the start if the season.

18. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    You 100% sure of this? I have not been able to find that rule in the OCC forum, maybe I missed it. It is certainly not stated as such in the OCC Rulebook thread, tie breakers are actually not explained at all: http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php?/topic/70-the-occ-rulebook/

In case it is really true it would be very sad that it is left to the upredictability of the game client to decide who gets promoted! :mad: Surely a topic for discussion with the admins if it has not been discussed yet?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  19. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    There are no tie-breaking rules because there are no ties. Cyanide league system will place all teams in order of success (in the way Cyanide algorithm decides to) and so all teams will have an assigned spot.

One place where this is said straight out is here: http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php?/topic/5338-matchday-9/page__view__findpost__p__82455

20. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    From what I remember it actually favours the team with the higher TV at the start of the season, so the decisive tie-breaker could well be TV! ;)