1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human OCC - Dazed and Contused

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by NieA7, Sep 1, 2014.

1. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    S1, MD8: Hoodcrow Tzars (Ama_Nesciri, Norse)

No cunning plan for this: I'm faster, tougher and more agile than the norse with more bash skills, I'll be looking to smash the AV7 weaklings back into last season. Stomp, kill and destroy, while scoring touchdowns as quickly as possible assuming there aren't a load of KO's waiting to come back.

Time to take the loin cloths to the cleaners :cool:
    [​IMG]
    Contused won the toss and chose to receive, hoping to cause a few scrimmage casualties to get things going. Only they didn't as the Norse decided to blitz the cocky humans instead, stunning Broken Ribs the blitzer on the right and getting their MB berserker next to the ball as the rest of the drunken loons marked up everyone they could reach. Caught off guard Contused's response just about qualified as competent, gathering the ball into a cage on the scrimmage but failing to break armour on any of their knockdowns. The Tzars continued to pile on the pressure, surrounding the cage and badly hurting Tennis Elbow the thrower, though an attempted foul on Broken Ribs didn't break armour but did get the lineman sent off. Feeling the clammy hand of fear on their backs Contused completely borked up their "cage" after failing to knock anyone over, leaving most the Norse team in contact with it - while the Tzars didn't manage to down Detached Retina the thrower they did knock over half of Contused and left the poor carrier sandwiched next to two noresemen, and ulf and the Yhetee.

Basically, things weren't looking good for the humans. Detached Retina managed to block his way free, killing a lineman in the process (apo'd to badly hurt) but the Norse were still all over the "cage" and sure enough pulled it to pieces the following turn, opening a one dice hit on Detached Retina from the MB berserker. The first dice came up :pushback: but critically the second was a :skull: - the humans could escape. Darting upfield to the left three of the blitzers and Brain Trauma the ogre formed a screen for Detached Retina to hide behind, hotly perused by the norse who broke through but couldn't get in front. With the KO's racking up Contused made their play, handing off the ball to Torn Ligament the blitzer who ran it in for the score on turn 5.

Between sendings off, injuries and KO's it was 10 v 9 in the Tzars favour for the second drive, but thanks to the ball landing right in their endzone the norse split their team with most of them pushing forwards while only two went back. Things started picking up for Contused with one of the Ulfs injured out of the game on a block as two blitzers lapped round the Norse screen to pressure the ball: with only a couple of players free the Tzars put together a very loose screen in the middle of their own half, opening up a two dice hit on the carrier that downed him and spilled the ball next to Contused's blitzers. The norse managed to recover but disaster struck when their Yhetee double :bothdown: against a lineman and injured himself out of the game, turning them over before they could shore up their defence. There was a chance for Contused, albeit a slim one: Brain Trauma ran forwards to assist Torn Ligament in a one dice hit on the carrier that spilled the ball into a norse tacklezone. As Shattered Pelvis clambered to his feet and dodged into the endzone Detached Retina sprinted forwards, grabbed the ball from under the norseman's nose and made the short pass to Shattered Pelvis who caught it without batting an eyelid, all with no team re-rolls left - 2-0 to Contused.

With the Tzars doing nothing worse than exchanging harsh yet incomprehensible words on the final turn of the first half the tables were turned at the start of the second with it now being 10 v 8 for the humans. After a riot the ball landed deep in the norse half again, only this time they flubbed the pickup early in their turn giving Contused a chance to strike. Compressed Fracture the blitzer ran forwards and KO'd a lineman on his way towards the ball, with Torn Ligament and Shattered Pelvis hot on his heels. Hoping that the humans had overcommitted to the attack the Tzars made a successful passing play to their Ag4 runner who sprinted into the humans half, but with no support it was easy enough for the blitzers to jog back and knock him out. A scramble for the ball followed but the norse could only make it over in dribs and drabs, letting the humans deal with them one by one. By the time the dust had settled Contused were comfortably in control with only 3 norsemen left on the field, allowing an easy run in on turn 13.

With some brave souls waking up to face the grinder again the Tzars received on turn 14 with 6 drunken loons facing 9 sober loons. The depleted norse recovered the ball and tried to form a cage, but when the remaining ulf proved as adept at dodging as you might imagine they turned over before they could secure the carrier and he was swiftly surrounded by Contused's blitzers. An ambitious pass from three tacklezones was fumbled letting Contused steal the ball again while simultaneously flattening every Tzar left on the field: with only one turn left the norse threw in the towel and didn't even stand up, letting the humans run in their fourth as the full time whistle blew - 4-0 to Dazed and Contused.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled 6.9 on the D6 (52 rolls) and 15.6 on the 2D6 (42 rolls) with 49% successful blocks (87 dice) at an average of 1.93 dice per block with 1 turnover
    Hoodcrow Tzars rolled -10.7 on the D6 (45 rolls) and -9.7 on the 2D6 (42 rolls) with 60% successful blocks (102 dice) at an average of 1.92 dice per block with 4 turnovers

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The first drive was incredibly close - a blitz and some aggressive play form the norse, coupled with poor block dice and stupid play from me, lead to a very ropey touchdown that very nearly didn't come off. After that it was a kerb stomp, with the rapidly dwindling norse having no answer for the superior array of players and dice at my disposal. 31SPP from the match saw three players level up, and with the MVP landing on the ogre that's a slightly silly 9 MVPs without a single one hitting a lineman. Good times all round then, sitting unassailably at the top of the table with some squishy looking skaven for dessert. Who fancies some rat pâté?

2. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    The three levels from this match are on the guard/MB blitzer, the MB/Ag4 blitzer and the block/KOR thrower, with the two blitzers rolling a normal and the thrower a 6+4. I was um-ing and ah-ing about fend or accurate for the thrower with neither seeming revolutionary, so I'll take the extra move there - 10 squares when receiving is nothing to sniff at. The MB/Ag4 blitzer gets guard of course, which leaves the guard/MB blitzer.

With the other support blitzers having Ag4 I'd normally look to take skills like stand firm and grab on the Ag3 one, on the assumption that I'm more like to block with him than try to dodge away for a blitz elsewhere. Of course by getting Ag4 the other two blitzers are one skill behind, and with the surprisingly humble linemen (9 SPP across all 5 of them) and the putative sweeper-thrower nixed by guard for his second skill I've got no wrestle or tackle anywhere. I'd much prefer tackle on the Ag4 pieces but with MB and guard as essentials it'll take a while to get it, leaving me with no cover in the meantime - with rats up next and who knows what next season it's got to be tackle for him, despite his relative lack of mobility.

3. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    S1, MD9: Dumpster Palace (andregabowl, Skaven)

Much as before the plan here is simple - murder everything, then score, then murder everything again. AV7 with no universal block or dodge should be squishy as hell with this much MB and guard, if the Norse and Amazon's suffered bad the rats should be even worse.

This is what happens if you leave the cheese out overnight:
    [​IMG]
    Palace spent their copious inducements on a wizard, babe and bribe. Contused won the fame and the toss and chose to receive in the sweltering heat, recovering the ball behind a strong scrimmage that utterly failed to hurt any rats despite getting seven hits in thanks to a quick snap. Palace broke through the human screen and got a marker onto the carrier, but Contused brushed him aside and rebuilt a stronger formation just inside their own half. So it continued for several turns: Palace's attacks were repulsed but Contused only shuffled forwards a few squares, all the while failing to inflict any damage despite throwing multiple blocks with mighty blow every turn. Getting ever more uncomfortable at their near-complete inability to get rats off the field Contused distractedly handed off the ball to Broken Ribs the Ag4 blitzer and jinked the cage to the left... Then suddenly realized they'd been misreading the clock and had only one more turn to score. With most the team having moved already there was little they could do - a lone lineman sprinted downfield but was easily marked out by Palace, making the score 0-0 at half time after a drive so spectacularly mishandled it hadn't even drawn out the wizard.

All the KO's recovered but the heat did for a gunner and a linrat, making it 8 v 10 in Contused's favour. Palace got off to a poor start when their rat ogre managed to :skull:/:bothdown: his block before the deep ball was recovered: sensing a chance but not wanting to over-commit the humans marked up everything they could reach and ran a couple of blitzers deep to threaten the ball. The rats were happy to take their chances though and went for a huge string of passes, hand-offs and dodges that came off without a hitch (save the final linerat KO'ing himself dodging away), leaving the ball in the hands of a lightly screened stormvermin mid-way down the edge of Contused's half. Forced to throw dice of their own the humans managed to engineer a two dice hit on the vermin - the first came up double :pushback: which would be enough to squash the rat against the sideline, but with the possibility of the crowd doing them a favour with the ball the hit was re-rolled, inevitably to double :skull:. It was simple enough for the rats to clear away the remaining marker giving the stormvermin an easy run in, making it 1-0 on turn 11.

With one rat staying KO'd and a stormvermin and the rat ogre succumbing to the sun it was 7 v 9 in Contused's favour. Things started well for the humans with the ball recovered and screened and a linerat getting injured out but with three gunners on the field their numbers advantage was largely spent caging the ball, giving the rats plenty of space to work in. On turn 13, after the humans switched to a screen while running through on the left, Palace finally unleashed their wizard to down the carrier before running one gunner downfield and leaping another over the ogre, onto the ball, grabbing it and making short pass to his waiting teammate. The carrier was completely out of reach so Contused contented themselves with failing to beat up the rats left behind giving an easy run in on turn 15. With two turns left a consolation touchdown was theoretically possible, but true to form Contused set up badly, achieved little with the ball and ended up just pushing rats around ineffectively before shuffling off the pitch shame-faced: 2-0 to Palace at full time.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled 7.3 on the D6 (41 rolls) and 10.1 on the 2D6 (51 rolls) with 64% successful blocks (91 dice) at an average of 2.07 dice per block with 1 turnover
    Dumpster Palace rolled 10.4 on the D6 (54 rolls) and -1.5 on the 2D6 (31 rolls) with 62% successful blocks (55 dice) at an average of 1.90 dice per block with 2 turnovers

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A spectacularly bad match from me there: I was aware of a load of mistakes I was making during the game, and watching the replay highlighted several more. Stalling out a full 8 turns on my own drive deserves a medal of some sort (not that it's the first time I've done it), while my positioning was bad throughout - scared of a fireball I left more than enough space for the rats to attack conventionally, allowing them to save their wizard until it really hurt. The dice didn't help much - my 2D6 may be +10 but I only managed two injuries over seventeen armour breaks, all but one of the rats KO's woke up at the first time of asking, while their D6 never went wrong despite dozens of naked 3+ rolls - but I didn't deserve to win either. A very disappointing end to the season all round.

4. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    One level from that match, a lineman who picked up the MVP. With a normal roll as the first lineman to gain a skill there's several ways he could go - wrestle is always useful, kick is handy while a dirty player or two would be a big help dealing with AV9 players. With only one sub at the moment I'm leaning towards wrestle, but I'll wait until I get a good look at the TVs and match order of the next season.

Broadly speaking there are two types of lineman I want to build - one a scrimmage nuisance with wrestle, fend, tackle/dauntless (probably three of these), the other a dedicated fouler with dirty player and wrestle (maybe a couple). I'd like to get frenzy into the side somewhere and I don't want it on the blitzers so I may give it to a lineman instead, maybe with wrestle, frenzy, tackle, fend. Planning that far ahead for a lineman feels more than a little ambitious though.

5. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Season 1 - Where Are We and How Did We Get Here?

9 matches, 6 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. No permanent injuries, 178SPP (around 20 per match), two Ag boosted blitzers and a block ogre. Pretty good start all round really, though humans do start out strongly then fade away so it'll be this coming season that's the really difficult test.

Tactically speaking I essentially played as a bash team - when it worked it worked well (particularly against the norse and the 'zons), when it didn't work I immediately run out of ideas and tended to skid unconvincingly towards draws and losses (the iron rats highlighted this in particular, when they didn't die my only response was to try and make them die harder). While that's OK against a load of rookie teams it's not going to work now everyone's getting more developed: humans don't have the stamina to go toe to toe against real bash teams so I'm going to have to get a lot better at their running game. On the plus side I have the tools in place to do it: the two +Ag blitzers should be very handy to keep things mobile and the +MA on the thrower makes a nice carrier. Actually playing that style of game is another thing though, I'm used to it with necro but without super-blitzers available I'm struggling a bit with this outfit.

Let's take a look at the lads:
    [​IMG]
    The pending level on the lineman is a normal so that's 1560 with 12 players - not too bad considering the skills on hand but I need to start work on the catchers. Hiring both of them would take the team to 1700 though, which is definitely excessive. Depending on the match order I'll pick up one up as soon as possible, but the other will need to wait a while yet (assuming that not everybody dies).

The ogre's coming along nicely, I'll be tempted to give him the ball on a touchback given he's 3SPP away from levelling. Guard then stand firm on normals, dodge on a double (always wanted a blodge big guy), +ST if he gets it. Similarly the throwers are both solid as they are with good development still available - fend for each of them next, then tackle for the guard (dodge on a double) and accurate for the runner (probably dodge on a double, maybe guard). I'd like leader somewhere but I'm not sure when and how to fit it in, if it turns out I need it I may just buy another re-roll instead.

The blitzers are coming along well thanks to a lucky run of MVPs (10 in the season, 5 between the blitzers) and casualties (19 over all 5, with Broken Ribs getting 8 on his own). Compressed Fracture will become a killer, piling on next then either guard or tackle with jump up on doubles. Torn Ligament is going to become a blocker type thanks to not rolling +Ag, stand firm next then probably grab or dauntless. Any stat would be useful, with AV over MA, and dodge on a double. I'll probably slightly split the two Ag4 guys - Mighty Blow for Shattered Pelvis when he gets there, then one with tackle and juggs and the other with stand firm and tackle. Dodge on doubles and again any stat, though it'd be a tougher choice between AV and MA.

The "downside" of getting virtually all the SPP on positionals is a bunch of scrub linemen, which isn't exactly the end of the world even though there are useful skills they can take. I don't want more than 5 so I'll probably turn a couple into scrimmage fodder (wrestle/fend), a couple into foulers (dirty player/wrestle) and one into a frenzy blitzer (wrestle/frenzy/tackle). I'd like to fit kick in somewhere too, though Nuffle knows where.

Onwards!

6. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Dazed and Contused, Season 2: Tier 5B (season 25)

Divisions are confirmed so the schedule's up, let's take a look at our opponents in match day order:

MD1: ToveriV - Moldy Sandwich - Nurgle

10 players at 1570TV make up a pretty nasty looking nurgle squad, including a SF/block beast and four well developed 'gors with 2 killers. The warriors are nothing much but ToveriV's got a good record: this will be a tough match.

MD2: Rymdkejsaren - Quantum Sufficit - Necromantic

11 players at 1270TV including all the positionals but only 40k in the treasury for replacements. There's nothing special in the squad yet, with a golem, both wights and a ghoul yet to level.

MD3: Doomy - Pittzburgh Stompaz Redux - Orc

13 players at 1620TV, but again with only 40k in the treasury - with any luck he'll have suffered some damage against the dwarfs on MD2. There's a +ST/block black orc and 2 other lvl 3 black orcs but only 2 levelled blitzers, and Doomy's coming off the back of a pretty grim season.

MD4: Rubick - Irn Bru Athletic UK - Dwarf
    13 players at 1490TV, with no individual star but solid development across the whole squad. There's only 1 slayer at the moment but that could well change by this match.

MD5: Tribble - Boom Boiz - Goblin
    11 players at 1240TV, including a +Ag/block gobbo and an impressive block/pro/guard/Break Tackle/+MA troll. There's a fanatic and loony so the squad so they could get badly undermanned with some quick touchdowns, though Tribble has a reasonable record given he's coaching gobbos.

MD6: YaratMx01 - Pustules and Polyps - Nurgle
    10 players at 1360 with a completely empty treasury, this team's clearly gone through the grinder. The basics are in place but it'll only take a couple of bad matches for this squad to enter an inescapable death spiral - here's hoping!

MD7: pinkie - Paws for Effect - Necromantic
    13 players at 1420TV, with several stat ups including +ST/block zombie. The basics are covered although there's no guard yet. Contused pretty much dominated our previous match with it ending 1-1 only due to an idiot 1TTD I conceded, it'll be fun to have a rematch with the squads having grown a bit.

MD8: SSNC Luck - Tokyo Angels - Amazon

13 players at 1300TV, nothing special yet but there's a decent spread of skills across the team and SSNC is coming off a good season.

MD9: caracarn - The Hungry Swedes - Halfling

15 players at 960TV with a massive treasury, along with a +MA/Sure Feet 'fling, a block tree and a +ST tree. Caracarn's got a good record for any team never mind 'flings, I have a feeling this will be a nasty match to end the season on.

As the first half of the season has more higher TV sides than the second I'll pick up a catcher now, given ToveriV will get a loner rotter even with my pending skill it won't be enough to get him anything. With most the high AV sides up first I'll go for dirty player on the lino - time to chase the golden boot.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  7. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    S2 (OCC25), MD1: Moldy Sandwich (ToveriV, Nurgle)

Across various leagues this is my third match in a row against Nurgle, and coming off a draw and a loss I'm not overly hopeful. Sandwich are a nicely developed team with most the basics in place while ToveriV had an excellent first season with them: while Contused are well developed too they don't yet have the fast running game that would be helpful against these slowpokes. In an effort to help out on that front I picked up a catcher before the match and took dirty player on the lion that levelled, making the TV more or less equal. The plan, such as it is, is to stall out at least one of Sandwich's drives, hopefully leading to at least a draw, while swatting the MB/claws 'gor at every opportunity. Cunning stuff I know.

Well frankly that sandwich tasted appalling:
    [​IMG]
    Contused won the toss and chose to kick, with sandwich setting up asymmetrically mainly on the right flank with a single 'gor on the left. A riot met the kick off, and by the time the dust had settled the ball was far back in Sandwich's endzone. Not a side known for their adaptable plans the nurgle lads went about their business regardless, with the warriors flattening the scrimmage (KOing one in the process), the killer 'gor stunning a blitzer, the beast cuddling up to as many players as he could reach and the sure hands 'gor recovering the ball. Contused's response was remarkable: all the blocks and blitzes failed to knock anyone over while nobody could escape from the beast. This set the pattern for the next few turns: having stayed on their feet Sandwich were gifted numerous blocks, all of which would knock a human down. In response the humans would stand up then completely fail to punch anything, with more and more of them getting sucked next to the black hole of the beast.

Thanks to a combination of universal :pushback: and multiple foul appearance failures it was turn 4 before Contused managed to get a player down (they made up for this by turning over on a double :skull: on their next hit), and it was turn 5 before Sandwich "failed" a block and left a human standing. The black hole beast never went stupid and by turn 6 every human on the field within 2 squares of his tentacley person, allowing the carrier to sprint down the left flank screened by a couple of teammates. By turn 7 there was only one option left for Contused - the tactically sound and carefully rehearsed Bullshit Elf Play. Shattered Pelvis the Ag4 blitzer dodged away from his marker, sprinted across the field, dodged passed the carrier screen then made the GFI to get a one dice hit that knocked the Pestigor down and spilled the ball into the crowd. Eventually it was thrown back in around the middle of Contused's half, where Broken Ribs (the other Ag4 blitzer) failed to recover it. Sandwich took this wobble in their stride though, pushing the human away from the ball, recovering it and making the GFI needed to score. Contused tried a 1TTD with their new thrower but the first block came up :skull:/:bothdown:, shortly before a petty vengeance block came up double :skull:.

The teams lined up 11 v 11 for the second half, the only thing not having gone Sandwich's way being the human armour and injury rolls. Showing a surprising degree of competence contused flattened the nurgle scrimmage, screened off across the centre of the field, recovered the ball and handed it off to their new catcher Shin Splints towards the left. This was as far as their professionalism held. To round off what had otherwise been a good turn the dirty player got sent off failing to break the armour of a ST4 rotter, before Sandwich swung round to screen off most their half while also getting a warrior next to Shin Splints. Given most the Nurgle side were in base to base contact there was a great opportunity to do some punching, but inevitably the two dice blitz to remove the warrior next to Shin Splints only resulted in a double failed Foul Appearance, leaving enough humans trapped that the needed assists couldn't be moved into position. Shin Splints made it to the middle of the scrimmage anyway, only to be met by another warrior and a 'gor as Sandwich continued to press in.

There was a chance here though. The black hole had gone stupid for the first time in the match, while the rest of the nurgles had pressed in close around Shin Splints - if Brain Trauma the ogre could swat a rotter out the way it would be comparatively easy to escape with the ball deep into Sandwich's half with enough teammates to screen. Of course Brain Trauma instantly went stupid himself, not only leaving the rotter in place but also blocking the route through with his inert bulk. Some panicky chain pushes improved the situation only slightly, giving Sandwich a two dice blitz on Shin Splints that killed him stone dead (Contused's coach could be seen forcibly restraining the team apothecary, alternately gesticulating towards his star blitzers and the clawed pestigor).

The ball was on the ground but just out of reach, allowing the humans to pull off their second Bullshit Elf Play as Broken Ribs dodged into a tackle zone, out into space and down the field as Shattered Pelvis Dodged away from his marker, recovered the ball in a tackle zone, dodged away again, dodged a third time past another 'gor before making a GFI and an accurate short pass to the waiting Broken Ribs, who caught it with ease. It was still easy for Sandwich to blitz the carrier down, which again they did without managing to recover the ball. Seeing that Bullshit Elf Plays were clearly the way to go Shattered Pelvis dodged through a tacklezone and away to get a one dice hit on one of the 'gors next to the ball, pushing him onto the ball which obligingly bounced closer towards Sandwich's endzone. The killer 'gor pushed Shattered Pelvis away but his teammate completely flubbed the pickup, setting off a string of failed catches that finally left the ball in a single 'gor's tacklezone. There was a comparatively safe 3+/2+/2+ sequence available for Contused to steal the ball and score, but with no re-rolls left and based on past performance this option was rejected as far too sensible: rather the killer 'gor was blitzed down allowing Shattered Pelvis to run into the endzone as Detached Retina the thrower made the GFI, 4+ pickup and 5+ throw needed to chuck the ball to him, which he caught like a pro - 1-1 on turn 14.

With a couple of turns left either team could score, though a kick that landed right behind Sandwich's asymmetric scrimmage line dance put paid to Contused's hopes early. Fortunately the shock of the sheer bullshiteness of the human's touchdown had clearly stunned the nurglers tiny minds, as on turn 15 they only moved one 'gor within reach of the endzone. With him sent to the deck it was all over bar the kicking, leaving it 1-1 at full time.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled -0.7 on the D6 (83 rolls) and -5.8 on the 2D6 (30 rolls) with 57% successful blocks (63 dice) at an average of 1.70 dice per block with 3 turnovers
    Moldy Sandwich rolled -10.3 on the D6 (29 rolls) and -6.6 on the 2D6 (56 rolls) with 72% successful blocks (108 dice) at an average of 2.00 dice per block with 0 turnovers

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I don't think I've ever had such consistently awful dice throughout an entire match. The fact that they came up as 0 only shows how outrageous the Bullshit Elf Plays were - I failed a third of foul appearance rolls, a third of bone head and I don't even want to think about the number of pushes and skulls that came up. ToveriV played like a pro too (and a sympathetic one at that - he suggested I used a D6 instead of a D1 around half way through), with his luck only failing him with the flubbed pickup. All that said I was incredibly lucky to suffer only one serious injury, and a draw against a team I reckon could win the div isn't too shabby a start. No levels out of the game and the MVP landed on the catcher of course, let's hope next week's Necro are more profitable.

8. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    S2 (OCC25), MD2: Quantum Sufficit (Rymdkejsaren, Necro)

I play a lot of necro, and I know the pain of a young team. Quantum Sufficit are still very much young, with no players of note and nothing much for me to worry about - I have more players, more guard, more mighty blow and more speed, I just need to press that advantage early, get a few of them off the field then steamroller the rest. I've got the tools, only question is can I use them right.

So was it enough?
    [​IMG]
    Sufficit picked up a wizard with their inducements, then won the toss and chose to receive. The ball landed half way down the left flank where it was recovered by a ghoul as the rest of the necro screened off that half of the field. Contused opened their account with Compressed Fracture the blitzer killing a wolf so hard it didn't come back, before consolidating across the scrimmage leaving no gaps to run through. All Sufficit could do was move the ball towards their own screen: capitalising on their hesitation Contused sent two blitzers behind their lines seeking to pressure the carrier. This sent the carrying ghoul sprinting down the right flank where he was screened by a couple of zombies and the other ghoul, very nearly out of reach of the humans. Very nearly wasn't enough though, as the two harassing blitzers chased after, KO'd the screening ghoul and marked him. Definitely worried now the ghoul dodged away and sprinted towards the endzone but he was left perilously open with only the remaining wolf for company. On the plus side a golem managed to badly hurt Compressed Fracture the supposed safety, heartening the little cannibal no end.

With the ghoul only 3 squares from scoring it was time to act: one of Contused's linemen sprinted back to get a tackle zone on the ghoul, Torn Ligament the blitzer gave the zombie marking him and Broken Ribs a groin strain, Broken Ribs ran back and managed to down and stun the ghoul while Shattered Pelvis the blitzer followed close behind, getting three tackle zones on the ball and double marking the wolf. It was a lucky string of rolls but it left the Necro attack in pieces. A dodge and a blitz from the wolf bounced the ball a little more open but it was still in a tacklezone and the pickup proved too much of an ask. The puppy was swiftly KO'd by a counter blitz, allowing Shattered Pelvis to grab the ball and run it upfield as Nasty Splinter put dirty player to good use by smashing the collarbone of the remaining ghoul. A wight got his hero on by dodging into a tacklezone, knocking down Shattered Pelvis on one dice, catching the ball and sprinting back downfield between the golems, but his only reward was to be badly hurt by Broken Ribs who then caught the bouncing ball just to show off. His cockiness was short lived when he found himself on the business end of a lightning bolt, but Sufficit couldn't recover the ball allowing Contused to grab it again. With only 4 players left on the field Sufficit ran out of steam, and Contused pulled off a passing touchdown on turn 8.

Sufficit could only muster 7 players for the second half, 4 of them zombies, to Contused's 10. The result was inevitable: the humans simply piled through the middle of the Necro lines punching and fouling everything they could reach, albeit to little effect beyond another injured zombie. Sufficit did what they could but they were all downed or marked by turn 10, with a simple hand-off play in turn 11 securing Contused's second touchdown. The second flesh golem managed to wake up this time leaving Sufficit with 7 players again, though Contused were back to 11. As if sensing the Necro's mood the weather changed to rain. Sufficit moved forwards as best they could while their wolf recovered the deep kick, angling down the left flank with the wight and a zombie. Contused immediately waded in and pressured the wight, causing the wolf to run diagonally across the field to the right wing in the hope of escape. It wasn't to be though as a two dice block brought him down, bouncing the ball into the hands of Ingrowing Toenail the lineman. Sufficit didn't have enough left to recover the ball so chose to spend the rest of the half cuddling the turf, giving the lucky lineman his second touchdown of the game and ending it 3-0 to Contused.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled 13.2 on the D6 (41 rolls) and 8.3 on the 2D6 (61 rolls) with 68% successful blocks (98 dice) at an average of 1.96 dice per block with 0 turnovers
    Quantum Sufficit rolled 2.3 on the D6 (36 rolls) and 3.2 on the 2D6 (30 rolls) with 59% successful blocks (55 dice) at an average of 1.62 dice per block with 3 turnovers

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm not going to lie, my dice won me this - everything worked from start to finish, from blocks to injuries to passes to dodges. It pretty much wrecked Sufficit too, they've only got 30k in the bank and now they need a new wolf and a ghoul, it's going to be a long season for them. Contused continue to grow well through, with two blitzers, a lineman and the ogre all levelling from this match, just in time to face the second of the three high TV bash teams, Doomy's orcs.

9. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    The Ag4/Guard blitzer rolled a normal - I debated tackle for a minute but with orcs and dwarfs next I went for mighty blow instead, giving the team 5 block/MB players. The ogre got a normal and took guard while the lineman rolled normal as well and took wrestle (I'd love kick but I think it belongs on the block/guard thrower, otherwise sorting the scrimmage out could get difficult). The mighty blow blitzer rolled that most open of results double 5. If any of the other blitzers had rolled that I would've taken +AV, and if any of the others had rolled a double I would have taken dodge. This guy's meant to be a killer though: I considered ignoring it for piling on but in the end went for jump up instead, at least partly because I've not used it in years.

Speaking of killers Doomy's orc squad are pretty nasty, featuring multiple mighty blow players of their own in addition to two strength 5 black orcs and a troll. Luckily for me their game against some dwarfs was pretty brutal, leaving both the levelled blitzers MNG. That does give him 210 inducements to play with, but overall it still rates a :D

10. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Expect fouls. A lot. Oh, and have fun. :D

11. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Ah, that kind of coach huh? Interesting. I'll have to keep bunched up and hope I can kick him before he kicks me...

12. ToveriV

ToveriV New Member

Country Flag:
    Glorious new career

Hi, found your team blog by chance. Nice report on our game on MD1, that was an enjoyable match, and your luck was indeed abysmal- except when it really counted on those bullshit plays.

I promised to keep you updated on Shin Splints' glorious new career as a rotter, so here goes: He's been on permanent LoS duty since joining Moldy Sandwich, and in the two games he's participated in he has suffered being stunned twice, Ko'd once and and badly hurt once. So, good rotter material. ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  13. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    To echo Barristan, Doomy's last team was named Dead Man's Hand - TNG, where TNG stood for "the next gang foul". If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will :) .Expect a good chat with an equally good dose of brutality. Btw, the only time I played Doomy, he came in with a battered team and then fouled himself out of what looked like a comfortable draw, so just clench your teeth and let him do what he does, while you keep doing what you are doing :) .

14. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Thanks ToveriV, I'm sure Shin Splints will perform wonders for you. I cross post the reports at the OCC forum, though I cut out all the team blog bits so other people can't see me complaining about how terrible my dice were :D

S2 (OCC25), MD3: Pittzburgh Stompaz Redux (Doomy, Orcs)

If I've got a bogey team it's orcs. I've heard the argument that they suffer at high TV due to having no defence against claws - this is lovely for those coaches that play teams with claws. Everyone else? Not so much. Doomy's missing his two star blitzers for this game so I won't be able to pick up a catcher without giving away a stupid amount of inducements - basically I'll have to play a medium-fast running game and hope to take out players one at a time with mighty blow and dirty player, then pray I've enough players on defence to disrupt his drive.

Orcs. Why does it always have to be Orcs?
    [​IMG]
    The Stompaz laid out their table by picking up a babe and a dirty play lineorc with their inducements, before winning the toss and choosing to kick. The kick-off was greeted by a small asteroid hitting the scrimmage, KO'ing a lineorc, badly hurting Compressed Fracture the (supposedly killer) blitzer and knocking out the referee for most the first half. The ball landed fairly short and was gathered behind a screen as the rest of Contused set about failing to hurt any orcs. The Stompaz weren't so wimpy, immediately smashing the ankle of a lineman with their first hit of the game, so Contused opted for a dive down the left flank (while continuing to not hurt anything). The Stompaz pushed their black orcs through the screen but left themselves in a position to be blocked away, resulting in one of them getting his collar bone smashed (sadly fixed by the apo) while the other was downed and gang fouled. This set the pattern for the next few turns: the orcs would come in, the humans would push them back then gang foul the downed black orc. Three times the dirty player kicked his head in, with at least 3 assists each time: twice the black orc was stunned, once his armour didn't even break. The only up side was the utter failure of the ref to spot any of this.

The orcs finally committed to an attack and blitzed down one of the Ag4 blitzers before trying out their own gang foul. Contused jinked the screen towards the centre and ran Brain Trauma the ogre into the pack, resulting in him getting instantly counter-blitzed and badly hurt on yet another foul. The humans managed to KO a rookie black orc in response, but things were starting to get a bit sticky - it was 8 v 7 in Contused's favour but they were notably out-strengthed by the remaining Stompaz. The last three turns played out to the Yakkity Sax as the carrier ran left and right across the field while his teammates screened him, before finally handing off to Broken Ribs the Ag4 blitzer who ran it in on turn 8. The orcs single turn saw the weather change to sweltering heat, a possible 1TTD spoiled by a deep kick, a foul that achieved nothing and a fumbled attempt to earn 1SPP - standard orcy stuff.

Between the heat, KO's, sendings off and injuries the teams lined up 8 v 10 in the Stompaz favour for the second half, though that lasted all of a turn before the wrestle lineman was fouled out and the remaining DP line orc sent off. With only 7 players left a standard defence felt like an invitation for death and sadness, so Contused left four players in front of the orc front line while sending three players deep to harass the thrower, who'd hardly moved after recovering a deepish kick and was screened by a lineorc and a blitzer. The plan wasn't exactly fool proof as one of the deep runners failed a GFI even and stunned himself, but the orcs didn't have the speed to completely contain the attack and left a blitz open for Broken Ribs who managed to down the carrier, though Contused followed this up by turning over as one of their throwers failed a dodge to grab the ball. The Stompaz had no better luck as they managed to fumble an attempted downfield pass, allowing Broken Ribs to dodge away from his marker and run next to the orc thrower, hotly pursued by Tennis Elbow who blitzed the orc down and went for a pickup. Despite his supposedly sure hands he managed to fumble the ball, letting an orc blitzer grab it and make a quick pass to a lineorc who scuttled away.

From here there was little Contused could do beyond a series of hero blitzes, each slightly more desperate than the last. It was 6 wimpy ST3 humans vs. 8 orcs, three of whom were ST5 and another ST4 - the result was inevitable. Despite successfully downing the carrier on a couple of occasions the ball never bounced where it could be recovered: worse, as the orcs were lurking in the corner of the field even a successful blitz left the human responsible open to a crowd push, one of which smashed Broken Ribs' hip (though at least that was better than the initial smashed collar bone). The orcs were never quite comfortable but never really under threat either, and they eventually took it over the line on turn 16. The last turn of block and fouling achieved nothing of note, leaving the scoreline tied at full time.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled 0.5 on the D6 (40 rolls) and 11.4 on the 2D6 (35 rolls) with 81% successful blocks (46 dice) at an average of 1.77 dice per block with 0 turnovers
    Pittzburgh Stompaz Redux rolled 3.2 on the D6 (44 rolls) and -5.5 on the 2D6 (47 rolls) with 70% successful blocks (79 dice) at an average of 2.14 dice per block with 1 turnover

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ugh. I have a problem: I find it very difficult to let go of what is almost certainly a lost cause. The two Ag4 blitzers have been the backbone of the team to date, and now one of them is consigned to MA6 due to some hero antics that were never likely to achieve much. It wasn't worth the risk, but in an attempt to win I took it anyway. Bah. That aside the game was fun, albeit frustrating for me - losing a blitzer on the first kickoff was just a prelude to a whole series of KO's and casualties, while the orcs remained utterly impervious to every punch and kick aside from the one injury that was successfully apo'd. The injury dice tell the story of the match really - the orcs suffered 10 injury rolls and got 2 KO's and 1 casualty, while the humans suffered 12 injury rolls and got 1 KO and 4 injuries. I got sloppy giving away the foul on the ogre so easily, but apart from that I think I did pretty well to keep it to a draw, albeit a frustrating one. Dwarfs next, though at least they've been pre-minced by Mouldy Sandwich for me.

15. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    S2 (OCC25), MD4: Irn Bru Athletic UK (Rubick, Dwarfs)

Rubick's dwarfs were one of the teams that looked most likely to both beat and maim my puny humans, but as luck would have it their recent encounter with Mouldy Sandwich left three of their stars missing the game (and one of them missing all their subsequent games too). I was planning on a fast running game, but with the core of their power missing I reckon I could go toe to toe if needed and not necessarily come off worse - it'll depend on how things are going.

Ah, dwarfs. It's at times like this I wish I had pass block:
    [​IMG]
    Rubick picked up a blocker and a deathroller with his inducements, then won the toss and chose to receive. Contused set up in a massive huddle in the middle of the field, allowing the deathroller to blitz in and mark three players on Athletics' first turn as the ball was recovered behind a massive screen/cage in the middle of the field. Brain Trauma the ogre was called into action and managed to KO the warmachine, leaving the dwarfs fighting to hold their position. Gritting their teeth they pressed on, but it was an uphill struggle that saw them giving away a lot of hits while making little progress. By turn 4 the dwarven screen had been pushed back a couple of squares, allowing a blitz round the back that didn't manage to knock the carrier down. With their cage collapsed Athletic knew it was time to take some risks: one runner jogged down the left, allowing the other to sprint after him and make a hand off after a couple of GFI. Contused managed to first mark the carrier then get a two dice hit on him but again only managed a push. This still left him sandwiched on the sideline, making it desperation time for the dwarfs: a one dice block opened up a route for a blitzer to dodge through to assist the runner (using a re-roll), who downed his marker before dodging away from another human and making the two GFI needed to score - elfball, dwarven style.

The humans still had three turns to equalize, but two things were against them: first it started to rain, and second their idiot coach thought they only had two turns. This lead to an otherwise inexplicably aggressive push through the dwarf lines, followed by an overambitious throw that was inevitably fumbled in the damp. Hardly believing their luck the dwarves piled into the humans and marked or punched everything they could reach, leading to two further turns of inconclusive pushing and shoving while Detached Retina the thrower failed all four of his pickup rolls: 1-0 to Athletic at half time.

The teams lined up 10v10, Contused having lost a blitzer (the ever-injured Compressed Fracture, who was immediately badly hurt on his first hit of the match. Not sure jump up was a wise choice for such a fragile little man) and Athletic their Deathroller and a MB/guard blocker. The rain cleared up and the kick landed short on the right, so Contused built a strong screen across the middle and right of the field allowing Detached Retina to FAIL TO PICK UP THE BALL AGAIN OH MY GOD. The dwarven runner showed him how it was done, picking it up in a tacklezone before dodging away behind his compatriots with a couple of GFI. A one dice blitz only managed a :pushback: even with a re-roll, allowing Athletic to move the ball behind their lines and hand off to their other runner, who sprinted over to the left flank. Taking no chances Contused sent a couple of players deep to cover the breakthrough before Torn Ligament the blitzer risked a couple of dodges to get a one dice hit, which finally managed to down the carrier. Even then the ball scattered out of reach, allowing the runner to quickly recover it. Rather than risk another uncovered advance the dwarf carried the ball back behind his teammates again, but with most of them tied up it was easy enough for Torn Ligament to run behind and get another hit on the carrier that again only managed a :pushback:. With the humans spread thin Athletic made another break down the left, but a failed GFI stymied their chance to mark the sweeper who downed the carrier on two dice. The ball scattered badly, but Nasty Splinter the lineman managed a dodge to pick it up and run into semi-cover.

Time was running out for both sides. Rather than risk a double GFI blitz with their loner blocker Athletic consolidated their position in the middle of the field, injuring a blitzer along the way, and marked the carrier. Contused blitzed him free (using their last re-roll) before running both him and Torn Ligament down the field on the left, successfully handing off to the blitzer at the end of the turn. The dwarves managed their own two dice hit on the carrier that failed to down him, giving Contused the chance to blitz him free before running the ball diagonally across the field to the centre where it was handed to Twisted Ankle the catcher. A dwarven desperation dodge had a predictable result, letting Contused finally run it in on turn 16. A round of punching and kicking from the dwarves achieved little leaving it 1-1 at full time, in a game where the dwarves were outbashed and the humans outrun.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled 2.9 on the D6 (48 rolls) and 5.9 on the 2D6 (51 rolls) with 56% successful blocks (118 dice) at an average of 1.87 dice per block with 1 turnover
    Irn Bru Athletic UK rolled -1.1 on the D6 (37 rolls) and 1.1 on the 2D6 (34 rolls) with 48% successful blocks (83 dice) at an average of 1.73 dice per block with 2 turnovers

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A game of three drives, two of which I was pleased with, one of which I handled so badly it cost me a win. The inability to either pick up the ball (I made 2 out of 9 attempts) or down the carrier on a blitz (twice out of five or six hits) didn't help of course, but ultimately that was all manageable - what wasn't was the useless attack I put together at the end of the first half. I probably should've fouled more too - I managed one good one that ate the apo, but even that clustered up my players enough the dwarfs started slipping round the side so I didn't dare do it again. Still, no serious damage done, and a draw against the top of the table side - not a bad day at the office. Just for added giggles the new catcher won the MVP and picked up +MA - now I have my very own Ag broken gutter runner to play with.

16. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    S2 (OCC25), MD5: Boom Boiz (Tribble, Goblin)

I've played a bit of gobbos myself and I always found Humans to be one of the toughest teams to beat, so I'm quietly confident about this one. Best route will be lots of bash and lots of touchdowns to get rid of the secret weapons - it's tempting to grind against stunties but again I found fast scorers to be much harder to deal with. Should be fun either way.

Maiming gobbos for fun and profit:
    [​IMG]
    The Boom Boiz picked up some bribes and Bomber Dribblesnot with their inducements, then won the toss and chose to receive. The ball went very deep so the gobbos split up, most of them pushing into Contused lines while a couple went deep to grab the ball. In their enthusiasm they left a little gap round the side that Compressed Fracture the blitzer could sprint through to blitz the chainsaw loony which badly hurt the maniac - after some deliberation the Boiz used their apo to keep him in the match. The stunties did their best to run the ball into the middle of their lines but their stumpy little legs weren't up to the job, leaving the gobbos on the right with the ball and the trolls in the middle surrounded by humans. Pausing only to break Dribblesnot's ribs on a foul Contused built a screen between the two groups of Boiz, forcing the gobbos to run backwards to keep the ball safe. Contused followed close behind, marking up the cage and smashing the collar bone of a random gobbo.

With only 4 normal gobbos left on the field the Boiz were running out of options: using their own fanatic to push their carrier out of harms way nearly went badly wrong on a :skull:/:pow:/:pow: but a re-roll saved the day allowing them to run to the left wing. The trolls were still separated from the action allowing the humans to continue bullying the gobbos, completely surrounding their sideline half-cage. An early failed dodge finished off any chance for the gobbos, allowing Contused to injure two of them, recover the ball and pass it to their catcher before KO'ing another gobbo on a foul that the ref unsportingly spotted. A hero blitz from the troll managed to down and injure the catcher, spilling the ball into the crowd who threw it into the middle of Contused's half, but with no gobbos in range Contused recovered and made a running hand-off to score on turn 8 (though the Boiz did manage to KO their own fanatic on a :skull:/:skull: when he hit one of their trolls, so it wasn't all bad news).

The ball landed short behind the scrimmage for Contused's drive, allowing them to cage up easily. The attempt to mark the bombardier went wrong on a GFI, leading to a spectacular turn for the Boiz: a troll gave a lineman a serious concussion, the fanatic pushed Contused's cage into a big lump and the bombardier threw an accurate long pass that downed four humans in the cage, stunning one and injuring two of them. Suddenly the tables had turned - it was now 8 v 8 and the ball was looking vulnerable. Throwing caution to the wind Contused ran deep into the gobbos half to get away from the trolls, though doing so meant abandoning the lineman marking the loony who was promptly sawed out of the game. Broken Ribs the blitzer evened up the numbers by killing the loony on a double dodge/double GFI blitz as the carrier sprinted down to to the endzone, and the Boiz didn't do much to help themselves by killing one of their own gobbos on a throw. Once against the Bombardier turned the tide, throwing and accurate long bomb that flattened the carrier and bounced the ball next to the sidelines. The thrower clambered back to his feet but failed the pickup, bouncing the ball right into the corner of the field.

Sniffing a chance the Boiz moved both their trolls up, blitzing down the thrower and bouncing the ball into the crowd, who threw it next to the sidelines a little further upfield where a gobbo recovered it, ran next to the trolls, failed a GFI, injured himself and dropped the ball one square next to where it started. With two massive lumps of troll in the way Contused couldn't grab the ball so they contented themselves by knocking down both the remaining gobbos (by now it was 6 v 5 in the humans favour, with the Boiz reduced to their bombardier, a gobbo, both trolls and the fanatic who was spinning off into the distance), leaving the trolls isolated. Not that this bothered them: both passed their stupid rolls and one of them even managed to pick up the ball, though the other rather blotted his copy book by :skull:/:bothdown: his blitz and turning over. The humans had just enough strength to down the troll and recover the ball, and a final ditch attempt to blitz the carrier down failed on a dodge letting him run it in unopposed on turn 16. The TTM attempt for the Boiz didn't work out despite a friendly kick and an extra re-roll, leaving the score 2-0 at full time (with a total of 12 players injured in the dugouts, 5 of whom would never play again).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dazed and Contused rolled -1.2 on the D6 (50 rolls) and 8.6 on the 2D6 (43 rolls) with 58% successful blocks (71 dice) at an average of 2.15 dice per block with 0 turnovers
    Boom Boiz rolled 9.7 on the D6 (114 rolls) and 14.2 on the 2D6 (31 rolls) with 39% successful blocks (51 dice) at an average of 2.22 dice per block with 2 turnovers

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hell of a stunty game that. Tribble had good dice but was always running out of normal gobbos on the field, though his trolls (who hardly ever went stupid even when unsupported) and secret weapons (the fanatic didn't do much damage but always managed to end up somewhere useful until the end of the game, while the bombardier had an insanely good match raining down death and destruction from afar turn after turn) nearly made up for it. I managed to do a lot of damage in the first part of the game, but from turn 12 on I didn't even break armour despite multiple triple dice MB hits. Luckily even with my reduced numbers I could keep the ball under control even if not in possession, and though I couldn't score quickly due to all the injuries I'd suffered the result wasn't really in doubt from around the middle of the first half on.

17. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    What a carnage. I played Tribble in T4 and it was tremendous fun. We ended up drawing 1-1, he had only 3 Trolls and a Gob left on the field but my Orcs refused to score a 3-turner. One of my more memorable OCC games, he knows his stuff so this is a good result.

18. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Er.. svrbb and Dalryk have bene to T2 with gobbos, Dalryk even T1. Those are players that know something. To my knowledge Tribble's never been past T4.

He's a fun opponent, but he's not the worst opponent you can get.

19. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I have to agree with Dreamy here.
    I have played both Dalryk and Tribble and Dalryk is far harder to beat..

20. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I didn't say he was the best out there, but he seemed to me he knows how to coach Gobs - far better than I would anyway ;)