1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[OCC]Lost Wolves

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Basilisk9466, May 6, 2013.

1. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    From the sewers comes a new horror... monsters with sharp teeth and chittering cries, whose only goal is to hunt you down and feast on your flesh...

...and maybe play with a ball if they get bored.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Behold, my first OCC team ever! Interesting times lie ahead. Our tier 'newsletter' predictions put as coming out 5th - seems like a reasonable baseline target to work for...

As to the rest of my division...

Total Bloody Mess (Dark Elves) - Rippys
    My MD1 opponent, who thoroughly outclassed me. All the dice were in my favour - except, rather importantly, the injury dice. Combine that with a poorly judged first half, and loss was inevitable - although some last minute scrappy dice nearly earned me a win, or at least a draw.

Predictions put him as 2nd in 7C - I personally wouldn't be surprised if he takes the pole position. No matter. He is no longer my problem :p

Bits'n'Bytes (Lizardmen) - Vatsch
    My MD2 opponent, fresh from victory over our resident 'flings. He was able to buy an apothecary with his winnings, but got no rank-ups, had a saurus die, and is currently missing his Kroxigor.

Combined with Rippys killing one of my goblins, I'll be looking at 70k in inducements against a badly mauled team. Pretty confident about this one - saurus are no joke, but his lack of Block will let me tie up Saurus comfortably with my troll, and some skink hunting (Nuffle willing) will severely hobble his ability to control the field or the ball. Rippys relentless destruction of my goblins has certainly given me some new tactical ideas...

Win Some Lose a Lot...!!! (Goblins) - Saffon69
    My MD3 enemy. Will have to see how he emerges from MD2, but if I can get some decent rank-ups from Vatsch, I'll hopefully have some tackle and/or MB to eviscerate people. Not taking this lightly - he went with a maxed out team, so his inducements are minimal, but the last time I faced gobbos with Underworld, I took brutal amounts of casualties. 4-0 win wasn't much comfort. Still, shouldn't be too bad.

Dead Man's Hand - TNG (Undead) - Doomy
    MD4, and my fellow BBT'er. From a purely stats point of view, third in the league behind Rippys and Moncap. This match will heavily depend on how the previous two matches went, I feel. If I can scrape a decent skill advantage, I'll be in with a chance. Undead don't feel like a terrible matchup for UW. Just have to deal with those Mummmies...

House of Scales (Lizardmen) - GravesEye
    MD5. 7C's second lizard team has yet to play, and from the sound of it will be missing MD1 entirely. Seems to be a rookie coach. Not hugely worried, but will keep an eye on things.

Moot Maltesers (Halfling) - Brother Kane
    MD6. Ahh, 'flings. I've never actually played against Halflings in my entire BB career. They lost their first match, but the amount of inducements they'll have could make things tricky. Not looking forward to playing with no rerolls. Fingers crossed I'll have enough skills to somewhat make up for that.

Nolgum Vompay (Necromantic) - Moncap
    MD7. Tipped to win the division and has the lead in stats by some margin, but lost his first match and may not be as dangerous as he first appeared. Will be watching this one like a hawk. Notable for starting out with a no-ghoul build.

Afroskulls (Chaos Dorfs) - Nickzilla
    MD8. This threatens to be brutal. He got a +Str Hob from his first match, and I have little doubt that he'll be pretty well developed by this point. Not sure whether I'd have preferred getting him early. Will also be watching this one carefully - not least as he beat Moncap, the supposed favourite.

De@d Poets' Society (Khemri) - Asprice81
    MD9. I hate, hate, HATE playing against Khemri. More than even dwarves, chaos dwarves or a full CPOMB chaos team... I hate Khemri. Asprice is a pretty inexperienced coach, but if he gets any amount of team development done by this time, I'll probably be chewing the carpet for this match.

Updates as they come, folks. I'll be doing more indepth stuff of each match as it approaches. Until next time...

2. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    So GravesEye is apparently being substituted. What this means, we'll have to see.

The showdown with Bits'n'Bytes is set for next Saturday.

3. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I'd actually go for a different tactic against the lizards. When I played against rookieish lizards in my first UKBBL season I found tying the saurii down with goblins works a treat. They need a pow to knock them over and leaves all your stronger players free to hunt the skinks.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. Spartakus

Spartakus Member

Country Flag:
    Hey Basilisk,
    Welcome in the few and proud OCC Underworld coachs !
    About Lizzies at low TV, i gotta agree with 20's. Gobs makes good Saurii markers when these big boyz are rookies. But don't do it every turn or it'll be painful. About your Troll, don't rush him near Saurii. I try to leave him in the center of the pitch (no on the LOS in defense), and "engage" when the opponent choose a side. Then you can use him him to put some pressure on saurii and deny him the other side of the pitch.
    For 70k, da bomber could be useful vs Lizzies.

5. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    I won't spoil the surprise regarding the substitution, but you might like it.

Nice write-up, and I feel our match could be a handful. ;)

6. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, first thing I checked when I worked out the TV difference was whether Bomber would fit in. That was the clincher for me about whether or not to replace the dead gobbo.

Speaking of gobbos, marking saurus with them is a good trick. Got wary about it when Rippys so ruthlessly smashed them, but then again, he had four dudes with block. I don't tend to commit the troll to the LoS anyway except in a few circumstances.

Doomy: I've been wondering about the sub. I know there was a Nurgle team sitting around until Moncap finally applied, which I wouldn't be hugely keen on...

7. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    The one final note of caution with gobbo marking is it only requires one assist to make it a 3d block which of course increases the likelihood of the gobbo going down. Overall though I think this is a very winnable game for you

8. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    GravesEye has indeed been kicked, which apparently leaves me with...

Full Scale Rampage (Lizardmen) - Zunova
    Lost to Doomy for MD1, apparently taking a few hits but no deaths. Not seen his stats, but being an admin and long-time OCC member, I'm expecting a challenge. Will be keeping an eye on him.

9. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    Trust me, being an admin and long-serving member is no guarantee of coaching ability. I've been in OCC since it started. ;)

10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I heard you played in Tier 2 last season and gave a good account of yourself? ;)

11. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    I certainly turned out to be the best Undead coach in 2D, for one week anyway. ;)

12. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    The tier newspaper is out, with MD2 predictions. I'm predicted to get a 1-0 victory over Bits'n'Bytes - personally I'm hoping for more scoring than that. As well as getting a harvest of lizard meat... my little monsters do get so hungry...

13. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Pretty brutal match. Lining up to kick with a pack of goblins on the front line, the first half was a meatgrinder of blocks exchanged. The Lizards drew first blood, smashing a goblin into next week, and then taking a both down on a 1db with a saurus against the might of Smiley KO'd the troll. Skinks and one saurus were brutalised in return, and the ball was briefly knocked loose, but a scrappy pickup attempt allowed it to be collected by a skink, who dashed in for a turn 6 score - but not before dealing a heavy blow to Talon, who was carted off the field with a broken arm.

With the choice of a risky TTM score, or some elfy passing play, the Wolves hedged their bets and set up both options. Smiley decided he'd rather start counting his toes than pick up the goblin next to him, though, so it was up to Scraps to sit in scoring range.

Bits'n'Bytes closed in on the Wolves line, but failed to knock the ball loose. Some carefully applied brutality courtesy of Reaver cleared the goblin to dart up to Scraps, who snatched it up and buried it in the lizard endzone. 1-1 at half-time.

The opening to the second half had an overexcited spectator hurl a chunk of carved warpstone at a skink, who fell to the ground mutating into a pile of goo. Both sides had taken losses at this point, but the lizards had a small numbers advantage. Grabby collected the ball, and settled in the back field while a swarm of rats flooded past the saurus to be in receiving positions. Evidently a little overwhelmed, the lizards tried to cover everything at once, but Grabby was out of range, and crucially, Scraps and Reaver were both marked by a single skink, which Scraps happily pummelled. The ball soared upfield into Reaver's claws, and he charged off to sit in the corner of the field. Smiley and his goblin chaperone were pinning down three saurus, Eyestealer and Bonethief were similarly pinning lizards down... the ability of the Bytes to counter was extremely limited. The match was stalled for another three turns before Reaver finally decided to score with two saurus looming, kicking a skink off the pitch into the welcoming arms of the crowd before scoring the touchdown. 2-1.

The last few turns were an exercise in brutality. Despite having fewer players on the pitch, the Wolves felt like they comfortably controlled the pitch, with two saurus rendered completely useless under the watchful eye of Smiley. The main action was in the form of four rats against three saurus and three skinks - despite the numerical disadvantage, the ball was held pinned in the Bytes half. Although a skink escaped with it briefly, it was intercepted and smashed by Grabby - but unfortunately, it was too late for the Wolves to do anything with it for a final score.

Two casualties and two scores - Scraps and Reaver both levelled up (with Scraps taking the MVP second week in a row), taking Wrestle and Tackle respectively. Liceguts having died on the pitch, the Wolves prowled the goblin breeding pits and plucked out a drooling little freak by the name of The Unusually Spiky. They'll still be going into their next match two men down, both Talon and the Baby Nibbler recovering from their injuries. We'll be doing some spying on the goblin 'team' once they've played their MD2 game...

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  14. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    So... goblins.

Win Some Lose a Lot...!!!, apart from having disturbing punctuation, aren't a hugely intimidating team. With a 15-strong team, he's got quite a bench, along with both trolls and all four positionals, plus two rerolls. What he doesn't have is any level ups, or even a touchdown to his name - both the Khemri and the Necro teams have committed total massacres, with 2-0 and 3-0 respectively.

What he is is pretty foul heavy - and I lack the brute strength and resilience of both of his previous opponents. The fact that Talon will be sitting this one out only makes things worse.

I do have some assets, however. With team captain Reaver picking up Tackle, he can put gobbos on the ground consistently and decisively, and Scraps taking Wrestle gives him some more blocking options. It's also worth remembering that although I'm down a rat, I've still got a reasonable number of S3 players. Just need to watch out for the trolls - those could be a nuisance.

The next question is whether to pick up another goblin. By my calculations (which could be off, I screwed them up against Bits'n'Bytes), I'm sitting on 9 active players - plus 140 for two journeymen gobbos will put me on 1010 TV, as opposed to his 980. By the look of it, he'll have enough money for a bribe if he empties his treasury, without giving me any inducements. Grabbing another gobbo will put me on 980, and give me a bench when my two MNGs return. If he does splash out for that bribe, though, all I could get would be a Babe... worth it?

Otherwise... I'm going to try and let him come to me. Giving him free blocks is just an invitation to get fouled, and that's something I can't afford. He's got a better bench and (mostly) cheaper players.

15. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Journeymen gobbos only cost base value (journeymen being players that take you up to 11 players) so will only add 80k to your TV.

16. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:

*facepalm*

Well, that answers and explains a few things ¬¬

17. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    Well gobbos without bribes and such are much less scary, though don´t let them have their 8 turn drive.

18. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    Well, with some recalculation, if he does splash out on a bribe, I can get Bomber, which should provide some entertainment and even the odds a little.

19. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Bloody, brutal, and full of weird moments... but ultimately an absolutely crushing victory with little in the way of losses. Bonethief unfortunately bit the dust, and Eyestealer was saved from death by thrown rock by swift apothecary intervention. Perhaps most frustratingly, Reaver took an MNG.

Rank-ups all round, though, including an all-important MVP on Smiley the troll.

Now the threatened total brutality of Doomy's Undead...

Hopefully things will work out?

20. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Two matches in as many days! Whew...

Compared to the random violence and scoreathon against Saffon, this was a very tight and tactical match - which may have been my downfall, as despite some careful caging and valiant attempts to break the Undead line, I didn't even make it into Doomy's half. A few crazy risky plays might have changed things, but then again, they might not have.

The second half was a pretty forgone conclusion. Although my casualties were fairly minimal, I had enough players off the pitch to make any kind of solid defence unlikely. A turn 14 scare where I managed to blitz Smiley into Doomy's cage forced him to stop stalling, but I had nowhere near enough players to do anything except a 1TTD - gobbo fluffed his landing, putting paid to that idea.

My next match is against Zunova, our substitute, who's been something of a punching bag so far. Will have to see how he fairs against surprise up-and-comer Vatsch, who recently held division favourite Rippys to a draw.

Zunova has a 1-0-2 record as of MD3, and no less than three players with -MA - not an ideal situation against a speedy team like Underworld. He also has no rankups, no TDs scored, and a small smattering of casualties for points. We'll see how his match goes - for the moment, cautiously ranking his threat rating as Average.

An encounter with the Moot Mafia for MD6 will be the last of my 'easy' matches - division favourite Moncap, unholy chaos dwarf abomination Nickzilla, and finally my personal nemesis - a Khemri team, which already has one Guard TG.

Some more indepth analysis will be on hand once MD4 is finished.