1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurgle OCC: On Pestilent Tides

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Squall, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    Played some particularly violent Orcs:

[​IMG]

Decay meant the death of 2 rookie rotters (WOE IS ME!) but also a MNG on the Kraken. 2 Players pasted their regen to make the game a bit more interesting but I did go in with 15 players. Jack's claw and MB got the no result but no cas in the game. A risky first half TD for him gave me the advantage as he dropped the ball on a GFI and I scooped it up throw it a long way an caught it. Another failed gfi meant I ran in the TD to make it a 1-0 half time lead (defensive TD).

2nd Half a blitz threatened to hurt my chances to score but some hero work managed to get the ball save and then a bit of battering made a hole for the ball carrier to mostly untroubled make his way to the end zone for 2-0. The rest of the match was a joke with me getting a blitz but then him picking up the ball in 1 tz dodging out then a long throw to a player in my half inside 2 DP. Then I managed to get the ball back anyway but lost it etc etc. In the end a double skull stopped him scoring. I weird one but I will take 2 rotters dead and MNG BoN with a 2-0 (considering how the other Nurgle team faired :S)

Fun Fact: I had 9/14 GFI passes and he got 8/13 pretty dire all round! (His troll's 7/13 really stupid didn't help him much either)

2. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Ouch, a MNG on my Beast of Nurgle would have me
    kind of worried, but not as much as I just got a ST 4
    Block Pestigor roaming the Astrogranite now...

3. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    So I ended season 25 with a loss (3-5-1) which meant I just missed out on promotion to div 1!

I start this season vs some beat up WE (bjj hero's). Turn 0... rock killed my str 4 block pest... no regen ofc... a rock also takes out sidewinder lol. I grind my way up the pitch while elves leave it pretty fast. His stripball WD get too close and a swift foul takes her out of the match and the ball is picked up again. A fireball is used but only 2 of the 5 cage go down and the blitz fails on a gfi (bh too). I score turn 8. He picks up the ball for the 1 turner... it is nearly impossble but a quick snap and a 6 catch (3 tz and 3 DP) means he scores a 1 turner without a rr to help (dice 4 4 5 6 5 5 5 after some 1D and -2D blocks). 2nd half a failed dodge stuns the other WD and a failed throw (2 dp) put the ball on the ground. After that I fouled and blitzed my way easily to the end with only 3/4 players to play against. 2-1 to the Tide.

So a fun match with a 7+ cas award and 4 of my rotters sent off (1 bh 1 ko and about 9 stuns). Now I have to make a do with the block pest for a ball carrier and hire a new rookie.

4. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    So my str 4 wrestle tackle pest has rolled a double.

Sensible choices: two heads, dodge, jump-up

Different choices: mb

Mad choices: leap

I am weirdly tempted by leap.... talk me out of it :D (vll next level)

5. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I think that Dodge, and the Two Heads next level is going to get you the most milage. Nurgle is very good at tying up the opponent, but very bad at chasing after fast, lone runners (or receivers), if they manage to break away. With a mobile Wrackle Pest, you've got the best insurance you can get against that - with Two Heads and Dodge he can even dodge through a TZ, if necessary, to get to his target. Additionally, Dodge provides decent protection, even if you don't have a lot of it, because it's much less common to have a ST4 Tackle piece on the opposition, than it is to have a ST3 one.

I don't think it's a sensible route for a ST4 Wrestle piece to become a Leaper. You are giving your opponent way too much of an incentive to foul, if you actually take the both down result. Besides, you don't need +ST for the role you are implying (at least against 95% of teams).

6. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah leading the way is Jump-up and dodge atm, both would be followed by 2 heads I think.

Leap is fun but yes maybe if he didn't have the +str.

Decision is a very hard one though. Dodge is something a team rr can mostly solve where jump-up is something totally different

7. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Greetings from Southern California, Squall...Hands
    down one of my favorite blogs here. Always great
    to hear about the success of another Nurgle coach.

8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Taking dodge means you've got a rr for the blitz when it comes up :pushback::pushback:

9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'll be kicking myself in a while, but..

A wrackle ST4? Leap of course. Then he gets long legs or rolls AG and becomes the corrupted wardancer everyone wants or fears.

10. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    hmmm I seem to have left the blog unattended again. Well somehow I have managed to battle my way up into the top division but I don't have much of a team to make an impression.

My Beast died last match of 2D (2d no mb or claw or po... straight dead no regen ;)) - Do I buy another or use a loner beast in some games... I will look at my first match up of course.

NW's All have block but only 2 have guard. One is level 2 so might get guard on lucky mvps. one is 3 spp off a level (didn't get 1 spp last season) he is block guard and sf so I guess mb is next. One is str 5 block DT and tents, I couldn't not have tents on the str 5 guy. I wish I could have the dt as dodge though. The last one is a mv 3 ag 1 block guard NW (MNG) one spp off a level. I guess I have to keep him as one of my 2 guard pieces!!

Pests. Ag 4 sure hands block Ball carrier is good. Str 4 2 heads tackle wrestle pest should help on the defence. Then I have a mb guy and a block guy.... they need levelling but teir 1 is hardly the time to be doing that.

Rotters... 1 guard, 1 dp, 1 dp wrestle. 2 of them are mv 4...

All in all a pretty work in progress team. Only thing I have is some str advantage but the lack of guard will tell I fear.

11. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    You could just sack all the positionals and make history by playing the first all-rotter team in div1

12. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    Why thank you for the insight division rival :D

although that sounds fun (actually no it doesn't) I think I will attempt to cause an upset or two :D

13. skullashtray

skullashtray Active Member

Country Flag:
    I'm trying a no beast roster in the bc I also have a some really expensive pieces tho like a +str blodge legend killer pest. Most people are seem to think the beast is mandatory but I see it as a TV dump honestly

14. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I'd wait until you know what your match order is though I do rate the Beast as its effective simply doing nothing though I also guess its dependent on inducement effects as well. I wouldn't be surprised however is you notice a increase in damage taken when you don't field the beast because its a high damage soaking but threatening target.

Actually I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage your going to be at in the Division, going though the teams it looks like most of them are stuck together with sticky tape and that's being generous! Last Season I felt Aki's Necro were only a mid runner in terms of team development compared to injuries carried but this season his team is light years ahead of most of the contenders. Dio's squad is just as battered as yours and is carrying a fair number of niggles, Tubrag's necro are a mess, Loophole and Errant are carrying some massive injuries, Guysa has the skeletal remains of a team - seriously he must be a very good coach because his team does nothing I'd be concerned about. Flyscarface does have 11 fairly solid players but a total of 2 guards as the heart of his team was utterly gutted last season and 2 of those 11 are rookie warriors. As regards to highly competitive teams, Moncap's Necro look good though I feel its missing some control skills, Aki's team look cracking compared to the opposition and its breaking my heart and bringing me to tears to say it but Gcar's Wood Elves are one of the strongest teams in the division and have a lot of Guard for wood Elves, they are however going into match day one missing 4 key players including that ag & Ma boosted catcher.. As I see it those 3 teams are the 'Biggest Contenders' purely based on the squads though I wont make any statement regarding coaching abilities within the division...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah I will take the buying of the BoN game by game... if I can induce him that might be a plan... then I can lob him into areas and not give a crap about him. Although with 1 mill ish bank I don't think money is my biggest issue (and considering my low tv so low SE).

Next question is block or claw for my MB pest when he levels...

16. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    It almost has to be Claw, doesn't it? At this point, you are unlikely to be exposing him to rampant hits, and most of the things you are going to attack will have Block or Wrestle anyway, so the only thing Block adds is re-roll conservation when that double-red blitz pops up. While I will trumpet loudly about how I love giving all my beastmen Block or Wrestle asap no matter what, in this case I think Claw will serve you better (I will probably regret this advice, but what the hell - it's the right thing to do :) ).

17. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah I was thinking claw. Need will I have to get him some special... We with loners would be good lol

18. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    I have GUSYA! and his Khrone up first. He is sporting 1750TV so I have brought a rookie BoN and rotter to bring me up to the same. Maybe I will also pick up another rotter so the 14th player.

He has now only 3 guard on mv 5 or ag 2 players. 0 dodge so my one tackle is a waste. He seems to be a very good player but also slightly insane. Very committed to winning games and will use apoths on bh/ko alot and also take the risky dodges. 1 killer and 1 ballhandler to really look out for and attempt to murder. Should be a pretty even match with my team not in the best shape also but I'm hope that some stardard dice are thrown which should mean his crazier of actions fail.

I will be streaming on Steam broadcast (User Squall/lee.banfield) it is open to all not just friends but add me if you like. Ofc it should be possible to view in game also.

19. NoPoet

NoPoet New Member

Country Flag:
    I love this site and its community, but this blog is the reason I actually joined and decided to write my own. My blog is a tribute to yours. Thanks for making me laugh this much and for dragging me kicking and screaming into the world of blood bowl!