Rules Official Mercenary Rule/Text?

Ondusi

Rookie
Country Flag
Hey, first time poster here:

Looking for some help rules wise. It's a long story, but the short version is that I can't find any official wording in the rulebook or online that Mercenaries (that you hire through Inducements) have to be from the same race that you are playing (ie if you play Humans you can only hire Human Mercenaries). Unless I'm wrong and you can (ie hire a Dwarf Linemen if you're playing an Amazon team).

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Hello, and welcome to the forums. Feel free to drop by the introductions section and say hi in earnest. :)

As for your question, page 69.

Unlimited Mercenaries said:
The normal limits on the total number of players allowed on a team and in each position do apply to Mercenaries (so they aren't truly unlimited).

It's the "Normal limits" that are the magic words - the Normal limits for a human team is 0 amazons, 0 dwarves and 0-4 Human Blitzers for example.

Ondusi

Rookie
Country Flag
Hi Nikolai, thanks for the quick response.

To me, yes, I would take that as you said. The argument I'm being presented with is that you can't exceed the normal limit of players on a team (ie can't have more than 16 players) and can't exceed players of each position; as in you can't hire 5 Orc Blitzers for a Human team, but you could hire 4 Orc Blitzers because that position is 0-4.

The only spot I see in the rules about only having players from only your team roster/type is in the Creating a Team/Buying players section.

It's really a rules lawyer thing lol. I'm saying "logically it doesn't make sense to hire Mercs from other team rosters" but others say "it doesn't specifically say you can't hire Mercs from other teams, only that you can't go over 16 players and can't hire more than that position allows on X team roster (ie 4 Orc Blitzers)".

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
In the few cases where coaches are to stupid to comprehend that common sense is still useable in this day and age, then it is up to the league comish to deside the rules and explain them to said less than brilliant coaches.

Though they try to find loopholes and cheat so they could also be praised for playing the game as intended:p

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Phone ate my attempts at quoting the rulebook, so that will have to wait until I get home. But p. 25 has a sentence about it being your roster's normal limitations that apply for inducements.
And if that doesn't help, page 24 has a paragraph about the commissioner being in the right to always be right.

The corollary of the p.24 rule is that if you'd prefer to be able to hire any race mercenaries, then that is fine. Just don't expect to be able to do it in other people's leagues.

Darkson

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
Darkson
Country Flag
Ask your coach where it says on the human roster they can have 0-4 Orc Blitzers (for example). It doesn't, so therefore their limit is 0. There is no player called a "Blitzer". There is a "[race] Blitzer", but not a "Blitzer".

I wouldn't even call you coach a rules lawyer, as his attempt is so bad.

Ondusi

Rookie
Country Flag
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm in your boat with this. Will have to wait and see next year though as the season is already underway.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
It would mean a lot less wizards around.
Would any non elf/skaven ever take a wiz over a wardancer.
It would be completely broken.