1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Elf (OFL) Greater Ulthuan Exiles

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Remthar, Aug 1, 2019.

1. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I had a torrid tims with HiE, they are a tough team I think requiring quite a unique playstyle, of course Mardead did great with them in OFL so he's probably the coach to look at. His playstyle relied a lot on screens and passing behind them. I eventually came to the conclusion that this is the right way to play them. Pros and woodies like to send a couple of cathcers forward and spread the opposition, HiE are stronger when they stay together, but they also don't grind upfield like dark elves cause they generally lack the blodgestep.

2. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I concur with this take, when I played high elves in BB1, I was aided by having 3 blodge guard linemen, but my general game plan was getting into the opponents half and screening off the ball but keeping all my elves closer together for the most part.

3. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Interesting. I agree, I generally keep my high elves more together than I would wood elves, it does seem to make sense, especially with the four guard I have. Hope I can get them all to blodge like yours, Street! I feel reassured that you both see the gameplan the same way. I suspect things will seem a bit better once I have some more basic skills on the team and, dare I dream, a bench.

MD8 Brackish Brawlers (Lizardmen coached by Darken Rhal)

The rain is pissing down and the Lizards decide the Exiles are receiving. Fereldon, a lines elf just needs an SPP pass, so while the ball is pretty well defended we try to pick up with him, fail, and don’t reroll.

We lose a guard line elf badly hurt to the blitz, and the Lizards are able to dodge and GFI a skink next to mark the ball. Their sure hands one fails a dodge however and falls down. We retrieved the ball and decide to risk a loner lineself dodging away at the end of the turn to try and two assist foul him.

The lineself fails the dodge and badly hurts himself. Oh dear.

“We really need to get away from these god damn loners,” said Leonas, tapping on the table in the dugout.. “Fucking amatuers.”

Remtharion just kept chewing on his tea-cup with increasingly wild eyes.

We’re generally bullied by the pair of STR5 MB frenzy Saurus, and go first left, then switch right. I make a mistake, and could have mark and blitzed a Saurus instead of caging near him, maybe making the switch stronger, but didn’t see it until too late. Another loner risks a single GFI and is K.Oed for his audacity.

Tathron (MA8 blitzer) is still on the left marked by a single skink. The skink is blitzed away, Alanalanath makes a few fancy 2+ dodges and a pass, Tathron makes a 3+ catch in the rain and we’re away. A skink tries to one dice him with a friend, but gets push skull! Nuffles shines down, and Tathron scores on turn 8!

In the second half our K.O didn;t come back, so we’re down 2 men defending. The Lizards quickly add a third to that, and we spend most of the half just running around trying to Minimize hits.

An opportunity for a Leaping sack does happen though, but Neon Deion snake eyed the dodge needed to get away from his marker. This leaves Elixion in contact with a blockless Saurus, who pows and gives him a serious concussion.

“Fix him!” Remtharion shouted at the elf maiden, lifting Elixion off the stretcher by his collar.

“He’s kind of a dick though?” said the elf maiden. “Maybe he should just, I don’t know, kill himself?”

The rest of the game is humorous music playing while Alanalanath tries to run away from a horde of Saurus. As a final dick move from nuffle, the 5 SPP line elf is badly hurt just before the lizards score, so can’t try an SPP pass to level on our last turn. Nessendont does cas a loner skink now it doesn’t matter though, so at least he still has some violent instinct still in him.

A 1-1 draw against one of the best coaches in the league with a very scary team isn’t bad, but the game left me feeling annoyingly helpless afterwards. In hindsight I’m pretty happy with my offense. I made a couple of mistakes during it, but importantly even when I felt pressured I didn’t panic for once and was able to score late with a bit of luck.

Second half basically came down to Neon Deion getting the snake eyes at a bad time. His leap was the only way I was touching the lizard offense. It would have been a long-shot to recover the ball anyway.

Elixion (Thrower with blodge and 20 SPP) is now AV7, but I don’t see much choice but to keep him in the short term. I can’t afford to be sacking players, and he’s better than a rookie or a loner by a long way. Just a pity, he was shaping up pretty well. I guess at some point we’ll hire a second thrower. I do wonder If I've not been passing enough and should have gone for accurate and left him back more on offense, the same rough strategy as before but with the ball back instead of in Alanalanaths hands right from the start. Forcing my opponent into splitting focus a bit more. But I'm always nervous of the snake eyed pass doing that, and I just so desperately need block/wrestle and dodge...

4. Remthar

Country Flag:
    Mid Season Hire

“Okay assholes, time to wake up and snap out of it!” High Scout Leonas walked into the Grand Meeting Chamber of the Greater Ulthuan Exiles. It was styled after the council chambers of the Phoenix Kings, only more gaudy.

“Excuse me?!” said Prince Alanalanath.

“Maybe Al, as long as you buck up your act. We’re not in the Snotling Soda Tournament here! This is the big leagues, people! We’re meant to play properly!”

“Al?! I am Prince Alanalanath, and you will-”

“Listen Al, who sets the LOS rotation while the High Coach is still hiding under his bed?” Leonas put his arm around Alanalanaths shoulders.

“I… suppose Al is fine for my very close friends, of which you are one.”

“Thank you Al. Now, as all of you are aware, we suck.”

“I don’t suck…” said Elixion, from inside the mass of bandages surrounding his head.

“Then why did that saurus hit you, idiot?”

“That wasn’t my fault, it was the new guy! He was meant to get the ball, but…”

“Don’t pick on Neon because he’s new,” said Leonas, walking over to Neon Deion and patting him on the head. “I fact you could all learn a thing or two from him!”

“But he hasn’t even been close to sacking anyone!”

“Have you been! When was the last time we sacked anyone?! Neon cost a lot of money, and he’s still adjusting to the team!”

“Well maybe we would have if morale was higher! And maybe Morale would be higher if our Apothecary was actually a doctor!” Exilion glared at the angelically beautiful elf maiden lounging on a sofa and reading a trashy human romance novel. “The only person she’s willing to heal has been Tathron!”

Leonas rounded on the elf maiden. “Yes, in fact, why are you even-”

She gave him a dazzling smile.

“Well… I mean, Tathron is the only one that does any work around here, so obviously he gets the best health plan. Obviously. Stop being a dick, Elixion.”

“But I-”

“Shut up. Since the High Coach is living under his bed for the foreseeable future, I’m now in charge. So there are going to be a few changes. People are going to shape up, and we’re going to stop pissing about with mercenaries on cheap work-exchange programs. To start with I’ve hired another catcher. Meet Indomita everyone.”

An elven woman in catchers armour that looked remarkably similar to Princess Reinira’s came into the room and stared the team down. “I am INDOMITA. Fear me.”

“High Scout? A Question?”

“Yes Neon?” Leonas took him aside.

“I think that’s a witch elf.”

“Is she wearing a metal spiked bikini?” said Leonas.

“Well, no…”

“Is her hairdo two feet tall?”

“No.”

“Is she currently bathing in the blood of the innocent to maintain her dark beauty?”

“I mean, not right now…”

“Then you have no reason to suspect that, do you,” said Leonas.

“But she’s started whipping Alanalanath…”

“FOOL! We need only one catcher, and it is INDOMITA!”

“That's just enthusiasm,” said Leonas. "Something we need more of around here."

TravelScrabble, Borke and Supa like this.
  5. Remthar

Country Flag:
    MD9 vs Black Masque (Dark Elves Coached by Voltron)

The Black Masque have been having a rough season and only have seven players on their roster, with their only three positionals being blizters. A rookie, a blodge guard, and a AGI 5 leaper.

So naturally I’m expecting disaster as a badly mauled team has nothing to lose.

They hire Hubris Rakarth, surprising me as they had to drop 40k of their 80k cash to do so. Guess I don’t get a game without a MB hitter after all.

I received and have to spend a reroll for lineself Fereldons SPP pass as usual. Still, he makes it and it levels him. We then zig-zag around a lot, I switch sides and find myself in a bit of a mess, but push up and have the ball caged in socring range.

...Though in the hands of the rookie catcher. And with none of the corners covered by any of my four guard players. Huh. Dumb. The leaps goes in, downs Indomita and gets the ball away. They pass it and screen, but Neon Deion does his job and brings the ball carrier down. A lot of dark elves being pushed onto the ball later and a little bullshit and we have it back… only to immediately lose it again and the Dark elves pass it over my team to escape with it. Sad.

We foul Hubris out K.Oed, but he comes back for the second half. We also niggle the rookie blitzer, but the APO saves him.

The Dark Elves push down the side, but we;re immediately able to leap in and relieve them of the ball. Then Alanalanath is sacked in turn, the ball passed over our heads and the dark elves score anyway.

Then the Dark Elf luck turns. Their players start to get K.Oed and we progress up the pitch. We almost lose the ball as we’re already out of rerolls and Indomita fails a dodge, but then Fereldon makes a random block against the AGi5 leap blizter marking him… and kills him stone dead.

This basically ends the Dark Elf team, as he was the one that did everything. We score, and have two turns left with the Dark Elves receiving. They don’t make much progress, their morale lost. Alanalanath then murders Hubris Rakath blitzing past him to get into scoring range. It turns out he has a very mean two footed kick to the ribcage when scared.

The Dark Elves just try and foul a loner to restore some brief joy to their world, and Neon does his job yet again this match and steals the ball… only to catch it himself. Dumb, he shouldn’t have followed up.

Game ends 2-1 to the Back Masque.

A pretty miserable match. We get out-agi5-bullshited, which was supposed to be our thing, then kill a team that was already dead. A play-off appearance is looking increasingly unlikely with our 2-3-4 record. Hard to say how unlikely as I’m not sure how many wild card spots there will be, but the odds aren’t looking the best they could.

Still, we didn’t lose any players ourselves, and the two MNGs came back. We even got more SPP than expected this match due to causing 3 Cas, though not on the right players. Alanalanath is 1 SPP off leveling, a few others are pretty close as well.

[​IMG]

A few questions for the wise minds:

1. What skill should Alanalanath take next? Wrestle, or Block? In Wrestles favour, it will make him an amazing sacker option in the future, and with two AGi5 leapers I’ll be able to cover the pitch well and have a lot of flexibility. In blocks favour it keeps him on his feet more, therefore safer. Maybe. Leans him more to being the one to scoop up the ball and run away with it.

2. Feledon’s second skill. Kick or Dodge? Due to rolled skull/bothdown on approximately half of all blocks rookie lineselves have made made me prioritize getting some block out there instead of the usual Kicker. Also in my experiance being a kicker seems to be a death penalty on my elf teams, but now he will already have block to keep him a little safer. Or I could just have another blodger and get kick on the next rookie line elf to level.

3. Stadium Enhancements. I got to start with a level 4 stadium for free, which as far as I’m aware does nothing. The enhancements seem to cost 100k, so I have the option of buying one soon. Should I get one, or save up for a couple more line elves (Or maybe a line elf and a second thrower) to get out of loner territory and have a bench? If I do get one, I’d guess it would be the wizard?

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I would take wrestle on the catcher
    Dodge on the line elf.
    Kick is good but you don't want your guard on the line if you can help it (or your AG5 leaper).
    So that means the block guys are needed for LoS duty.
    That does mean a wait for kick until you get up to 12 players and bench the rookie catcher on D

I would get line elves next and save the stadium upgrade for later.

Remthar likes this.
  7. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Im divided on Alan. Normally think I would take block on Alan, then leap and surehands. You have Neon but you need someone to recover the ball, it's ideal if that person is a blodger. Or is it? On HiE does the person recovering the ball always just pass it to safety? In which case wrestle gives you a backup sacker which is great. Or do you want blodger sh to help against other elves?

Sorry I'm not helping.

Remthar likes this.
  8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I've thought about it a while, and I think I'd lean towards Block for Alanalanalanathhh. You already have a great sacker (who has AV8 on top, so not as likely to get injured after the cage dive). Sure, he doesn't have the range of a Catcher, and I'd say eventually you want a cage diving Catcher, but it doesn't have to be one with AG5, in my opinion. Cage divers die, which is why getting one as a Free Agent is great, and why I prefer to build them straight up Wrestle -> Leap -> Tackle on High Elf teams (i.e. no Dodge). They're not going to last too long, so why give them hope and defensive skills? Block/SH/SS will make Alanananalalath amazing and a solo threat to any loose ball. I don't think he wants to be a sacker.

Remthar and sbr32 like this.
  9. Remthar

Country Flag:
    MD10 Vs The Kleevland Klaw Killas Coached by Gunter Dorkson

“Are you sure It’ll be okay? They are Orcs.”

“Don’t worry High Coach, don’t worry…” Leaons coaxed Remtharion onto his Coaching Throne in the dugout. “They have a lot of goblins on the team and no killer, it’ll be fine. The team’s coming on well now, thanks to my new hires…”

“Alright, I’ll try. But Rifeldin, have my bed brought out so I can hide under it if things go poorly.”

So we start of kicking, and things go pretty well. Sulion displays the value of block on the LOS by staying upright against three push/bothdown rolls, and no one died. We transition into hedges and our only loner is K.Oed as the Black orcs move into aggressive contact.

At this stage I take a bit of a risk and move up my guard to block the black orcs. This is risky due to two of them having sidestep, very unusual, but very concerning of this sort of action. However, my plan was to blitz one with a wrestler if they stayed upright in an awkward position, so it seemed worth a try.

We are rewarded for fighting directly with two knocked down black orcs and a K.Oed line orc. A sack attempt is open, but the team reroll was already used on a double skull, so we just mark the carrier instead.

The Orcs manage to blitz their carrier free and move to the side, but set up around Nessendont for a gang foul, then turn over on a blockless block before they can. He and a guard line elf are able to get a free 2 dice hit on the ball, knock it free, but it bounces in the middle of three orcs so we can’t risk a pickup.

After a fight with all four guard, we manage to get the ball in only a single tacklezone, then fail a 2+ pickup with Neon and a black orc catches the bounce. We try to fight it off of him in a massive brawl with far too much contact for my liking, but several block on block bothdowns stall us and we can’t get it loose. Though in a shock, Alanalanath levels by MNGing a rookie orc blitzer in a an end of turn two dice block to avoid contact. Their Apo brings him back, but this is now the second time we’re seeing a surprisingly violent side to Alanalanath.

“Get away, you beastly orc! I will not be pushed around! I will not be threatened! I am a PRINCE! I WILL NOT BE THREATENED!”

“Is he… alright?” asked Remtharion, leaning down for the High Coaching Throne.

“He’s just been like this since Indomita joined the team,” said Leona. “She’s been a good influence.”

“PROVE YOUR WORTH, FOOLS!” screamed Indomita. “Are you elves, or mice?!”

The black orc is finally able to escape the scrum, but it takes a dodge for him to do it. Indomita brings him down and catches the ball, so while we protect her as best we can Alanalanath starts sprinting for the endzone.

Then Adventurous Fereldon, previously to slowest learning of the Lineselves MNGs the orcs only tackle blitzer! This does come at the cost of not protecting Indomita properly though, and she is knocked down. The other cost is Elixion is killed.

“Send in the Apothecary!” shouted Remtharion.

“Him again?” said the Elf maiden. “Really?”

“We could just let him die,” said Leonas. “I mean, I’m just saying he’s kind of broken already…”

“DO IT!”

“Oh goddess, fine, I’ll heal him.” The elf maiden mopped Elixions brow with a delicate handkerchief. “He’ll just die again though, I don’t know why I bother…”

Elixion is just MNG again. Well, not like a high elf team needs a thrower, right? I made this decision right down at the wire, but ultimately I didn’t want to lose a blodger, so I took the risk. Maybe not the right call.

Neon is required to leap in for a 3+ pickup, then dodges away and passes to Alanalanath for a touchdown. There is an extra LOS, but we survive and our pair of K.Os come back.

In the second half I balls up my offence a bit. Indomita has the ball going up the side, but the Orcs are able to block the way a little more than I expected. I try to block a way through, but a run of pushes leaves things stuck. Indomita(Rookie Catcher) had to make a 3+, then 2+ dodge as well as 2 GFIs to get through. The first dodge eats the team reroll, but I say fuck up and rick the naked GFIs across the endzone.

By divine miracle, there is somehow no tripwire and she scores. I got impatient on the offense again, now that my apo was out I wanted the game wrapped up with a 2-0 lead and then to hide for the rest of the match. I should have played it cooler, but nuffle covered me this time.

It's the orcs on the offense again, and they rush forward potential receivers, obviously intending to risk it for the win. But they leave an opening, and Alanalnaath plus Tathron are able to rush through and sack the thrower on his own in the backfield.

Unfortunate my dodge dice disappear in the followup, and the orcs recover the ball, but fluff a pass. Neon gets the ball, and is caged. As the last action of the turn, Extraordinary Illgoth tries to dodge away from a mass orc orcs, falls, and kills himself! That’s one of our Guard elves dead.

The orcs swarm Neon in his little flimsy gace, but then he just jumps over them and passed the ball up to Indomita for a third touchdown!

On the orcs last drive we just hang back as much as possible to preserve elven life, and the match ends 3-1 to the Greater Ulthuan Exiles!

Overall, a good game. I was in a lot more contact for this game than I would have liked, and a dead guard Line elf and MNG thrower was probably not unexpected. The dream of having a bench continues to be a dream, we’re still on loners for the bit at least.

We did get three levels though, and very welcome ones!

First, Alanalanath, who rolled a normal. I thought very hard on this one, and appreciate the advice I received from you all. I could really see the argument both ways, but in the end I went with wrestle.

My reasoning goes that when I have successfully extracted the ball after a sack, I do in fact almost always manage to pass it away or make a screen. I’m sure this will not always be possible and I will likely lose my next game to Alanalanath being wrestled down while escaping with the ball. But with his higher speed Alanalanath gets a great deal of sacking opportunities beyond just leaping in suicidally, so I think Wrestle fits him better. I think having more sacking opportunities forces my opponent to play more carefully or make mistakes.

This doesn't mean I won't take more expendable wrestle catchers in the future, I will and will hopefully let them take the risks if something happens to Neon Dieon. The potential of having Alanalanath wrestle seem worth it more than a safer ball carrier. The OFL isn't exactly crawling with elves, and when against them I prefer to aim for a shoot-out for the SPP gain anyway.

He also soaked up yet another MVP this game, along with a Cas and touchdown, so he’s well on the way to leap already.

Second, we have Adventurous Ferledon, a block line elf who now has kick. With the death of a Guard Line Elf, there is more room at the back for him, so it seems worth it to have a kicker instead of a blodger. I’ll just have to make sure I remember to use him.

Last is Indomita, a rookie catcher who rolled a double! So she now has Mighty Blow! Rapidly feeding her until she has block as well is now a priority, but it will hopefully help my feeling of being bashed off the pitch if I’m taking a few more people with me each match.

Fits the fluff nicely as well. Good one, nuffle. Worth the sacrifice of a guard elf, hopefully.

[​IMG]

140k Gold. I had been leaning toward buying a batch of line elves, but now that wouldn’t get me to twelve players anymore. I could just buy a stadium enhancement and continue with loners for a while longer. But I just really don’t know what to make of the Stadium enhancements. The wizard one seems likely to win me games, but maybe at the cost of shortening the lives of my players as they’re hit by lightning bolts. It’s just such a strange feature that it's hard to tell whether its even a good move or not!

TravelScrabble likes this.
  10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    How important is the players name to you?
    I would save the cash for another match and buy a loner if he gets the MVP.

I don't think the stadium is a huge advantage for elves so wouldn't get an enhancement until I have 13+ players which may take a while.

11. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Great to see, I love MB Catchers! Perfect placement of that double (though to be fair, any double is a great double for High Elves).

And I agree with Tys, I wouldn't go and spend gold on rookies until you are well over the 150k limit. And maybe the fact that the OFL needs team manipulation to happen anyway will make changing those player names possible, if you do happen to pick up a 5 SPP Journeyman.

12. Remthar

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I'd buy a loner. Not every player can have a great name like Alanalanath. Saving for a lump purchase of bulk line elves seems the play then.

13. Remthar

Country Flag:
    MD11 vs The Old World Black Magic (Necromantic coached by Zectorman)

We have three loners for this match due to death and MNG, but hey, perfect number for the LOS. A big plus for us in this match was the Magic’s Tackle MB weight being MNG thanks to a successful hit by the Blight town Tunnel Creeps last game.

Leonas stood in front of the open sewer grate, and counted out the money to the mutated goblin. The smell was terrible, the green slime was disturbing, but the business was very good.

“And remember, double that again for every one of the norse killers you take out next week.”

Fereldon, our new kicked gets a chance to prove his worth at the start, and kicks shallow.

[​IMG]

...and it bounces straight into the hands of Wight Howard.

“Fire him! Fire this failure! You’re fired!” Screamed Remtharion from the sideline.

But the rookie flesh golem both downs, and stuns himself before a cage has been fully formed! Fereldon K.Os the zombie that marks him, opening the way through for Tathron and Alanalanath. The sack goes off, the ball is on the ground, but positioning along the sideline is… precarious. Only the strong amount of guard and some aggressive positioning from Neon Deion and a lot of loner marking makes surfs unlikely.

But Alanalanath is badly hurt by a dodging wolf, who collect the ball. Neon does is job though, and the wolf is wrestled down, with Indomita collecting it and running like mad. She is zapped by a wizard and knocked down, but unhurt!

“IS ALL YOU HAVE, WIZARD?! IT DOES NOT STOP INDOMITA!”

The block sure hands ghoul gets the ball, but Neon is really getting into this whole sacking thing, and pows him down with help from Tathron. Indomita runs in the ball.

“I take it all back Fereldon, it was all part of the genius plan!” shouted Remtharion.

We kick again and…

[​IMG]

“How twice?!” shouted Remtharion, clutching his head.

The Magics K.O Fereldon this time, and cage forward. But Neon goes in for a 50-50 one dice sack, and wrestles Wight Howard down. He is good at catching, not so much holding.

Nessendont is a cheeky fucker and makes a 3+ dodge and pick up, as well as a mess of other 2+ to get the ball without needing the team reroll. He survives a blitz from the ghoul next turn and has to 3+ 2+ dodge to sprint away. After that his luck runs out and he is K.Oed by the MV9 wolf. After that an early double skulls eats our reroll for the turn and we’re forced to largely back off once the ghoul has the ball in a cage, but by now the Necro don’t have time to score back, and we go into the second half up 1-0

At the start of the second half the K.O rolls favour the Exiles, and despite Alanalanath being out, we’re up a man 10-9. However I get greedy and try to both hit the los AND run deep into their half with the ball. This is… moronic. Indomita is actually open to be hit. I do not know what I am thinking.

[​IMG]
    No, I don’t know what the hell this is meant to be either.

Still, after Indomita is sacked the MV9 wolf and the ghoul are both on the sideline, so Neon has a good opportunity for a surf… and snake eyes for the GFI stunning himself. Which is probably deserved at this stage.

The necro clear the ball and the block wolf picks it up. But he can;t get anywhere safe, and a Tathron Sulion combo pows him out K.Oed. The bounce is perfect, and Indomita again sprints away. The ghoul fails a 3+ dodge and we’re in the clear, but with a clear numbers advantage decide to stall.

A couple of turns of hitting later, I consider scoring, but turn over with a last greedy loner hit. The Necro’s next turn is solely their ghoul going skull, reroll skull on a loner, and the ghoul killing himself. I again plan to score this turn, leaving two turns to maybe steal from a weakened necro team, but Tathron MNGs the last wolf, who regens.

Tathron is now 3 SPP from a level, so I change plans, and safe pass to him for the full 8 turn stall and the level. The loners all survive the last hits, having been impressive resilient all game. Feledon somehow misses Weight howard with the kick this time… instead bouncing the ball off a zombie give a touchback, for an impressive 3/3 at getting the ball into the opposition hands.

Exiles win the game 2-0!

Tathron levels to finally get dodge. He really has been the heart and soul of the team, whenever someones done something, he’s usually been there with his MV8 and guard helping. So it’ll be a shame when TS kills him next week anyway with all his Frenzy tackle MB.

Turns out Alanalanath is unnecessary to the team, and we did better than average without him around. He will thus be receiving a pay cut, and the money going to Indomita, who doesn;t let little things like being struck by lightning slow her down.

Good gold roll and I buy the Loner that got the cas on the ghoul. 10k short of buying two more and thus gaining a bench, so we’ll have one loner for the game against killer norse and a sense of emotional and physical vulnerability.

[​IMG]
    Team looking pretty good. Biggest weaknesses are no block on Indomita and no accurate on Elixion. Also need tackle or strip ball on Neon Deion and Alanalanath to deal with blodgers, but that's a longer way off.

And here are TS’s terrifying one percenters, so the above picture of our team above will likely soon be framed with the caption “The good old days” underneath it.
    [​IMG]

Our scouting for their game against the Blight Town Underworld saw a murderous slaughter of goblins and rats in the first half. Then some kind of comedy performance after half time that had the crowd in stitches as the norse failed to handle the ball for eight entire turns and the Underworld played dead.

A team of contrasts.

“Leonas, find out what kind of ball that was. I want one for our match.”

sbr32, Borke and Ilgoth like this.
  14. Remthar

Country Flag:
    Shorter Reports, because I’m getting behind.

MD12 vs BIllionaire Babies (Norse coached by Travelscrabble)

It was good to play TS again, just like being back in the good old days of the first seasons of the big crunch again. Still, the scariest team we faced in a while, lots of tackle/MB/frenzy and a piling on berserker as well.

We start off with a mistake, kicking long. We then get a blitz, and cant reach the ball. I fail to open a hole, and don't risk Alanalanath and/or Neon going in along where they would probably have been killed. But the norse fail their first pickup, so that was a big missed opportunity from nuffle to win the game right at the start. Doh.

We then lose Sulion, block line elf killed off the LOS. Actually one of my favourite players, just very reliable, but against this lineup there's no way we can use the apo on him this early.

There's a fight over the ball, and we get it loose, but can’t run off with it. I maybe could have punted it a short way off, not out of reach, but enough to make life more difficult for the norse.

In the end they cage the ball, but we’re able to make a decent screen on turn seven, though I hold back a reroll on a lineself GFI that would have made it much stronger in hindsight. Saving it for the OTTD attempt or retaliation score if the norse failed a roll on turn eight. But TS is able to get the ball carrier free from marker with good pushes, and he just needs two GFIs to score, which he makes.

Perfect defense stops the OTTD attempt.

In the second half we get off to a good offence with a couple of lucky K.Os. this plus a stun gives us an opening to push through and stall safely… but on the turn I want to score, Indomita snake eyes the handoff and the scatter leaves us in a position where Alanalanath has to collect the ball from a tacklezone to score. He does, and Indomita continues to stubbornly refuse to earn SPP despite me hitting with her all game (A risky play without block, but damaging norse back is one of the best ways to deal with them.)

It’s 9 vs 11 for the last drive, but a pitch invasion takes down 3 of my backline defenders for no norse down, then the LOS stuns another. This leaves me with 3 players in a position to even move safely, and no chance of defending the touchdown. We try some bullshit, but there's not much chance and can’t defend the touchdown to lose 2-1 to the Billionaire Babies.

In the end, we took surprisingly little damage, the only Cas suffered was the Death on turn 1. The APo was never used. We didn’t really cause any damage either, despite constantly hitting AV7 with MB bliztes, so just a gentle game all around, apart from the fans.

We get a good gold roll, but are just 10k short of buying a bench for our next game.

15. Remthar

Country Flag:
    MD13 vs the Blighttown Tunnel Creeps (Underworld coached by Littlebits)

Underworld with a tackle/claw killer and a standfirm tentacle troll. Concerning, but theres not really anything they can do to stop Neon jumping into their cage--

OH! It turns out there's is, and that's a fan beaning him in the head with a rock turn one, only for a K.O thank nuffle, but that's still most of our defensive strategy out in a oner. Balls.

Fereldon displays his kicking talents by landing the ball right on a player who catches it AGAIN. And thus begins out defense with involves Indomita trying to hit goblins and skaven linemen, powing pretty well, but failing to hurt anything. The skaven blitzer is not as gentle. He cases out Tathron, and K.Os a couple of others. In the end we can’t stop the undamaged Underworld, and decide against risking Alanalanath on a longshot involing 4+,3+ dodges and max GFIs of a onedice hit.

We then stuff up our OTTD attempt stupidly. Lack of practise hit me there. I’ve actually not had that many chances to even try this season. Still, Indomita kills a goblin. That's something.

Our offense looks okay, K.Os are all back, so we’re only a man down. I make some SPP passes with Indomita and Glorfindon (Newly hired line elf, hired because we were over the cash cap, so might as well.)

Then I just go bonehead and leave the Underworld an easy push for an open blitz on Alanalanath, who is badly hurt. The ball is loose. Indomita had a chance to hit the goblin that picks it up, but then snake eyes the GFI and cripples herself. Fortunately, the Apo likes her and she is saved from -AV. Still, that's the game over bar some feeble attempts at hurting goblins.

We lose 2-0.

So what can be said about these two games but “Fuck the fans”? A pitch invasion and thrown rock crippled my defenses, not much could be done. Still, I also made some boneheaded mistakes that did the real damage. Bad kick choice against the norse, not rerolling the GFI for the better screen. Terrible offensive positioning against Underworld and messing up the OTTD.

Still, it's all learning. The rust takes a while to shake off. And The team is in pretty good shape. I’m pretty sure I’m out of the running for a play-off stop now, but with no standings anywhere it’s hard to be certain. I know the chorfs in my division have had a rough season, but I don’t know exactly how bad, or hope the nurgle and Brettonias are going at all. Maybe if I sweep the last three division games I’ll have a chance? I don’t know. Not really expecting it at this stage.

[​IMG]

Now, Shining Glorfindon got an SPP pass and the MVP in his first game, then rolled double 6(Definately a good arguement for gett a preemptive SPP pass on all line elves). I took the strength, because you do, though now I am wracked with doubt. A STR4 elf is amazing without doubt, but that's ANOTHER elf that will need to be fed SPP until they reach their potential later. Also a STR4 elf is most ideal as a blizter to open holes on offense or defense, and that's when I want to be hitting with Indomita for maximum effect. Hmm.

Also either he or the guard lineelf now has to stand on the LOS. That’s... unideal. Or I leave, say, Elixion off the pitch on defense, but that feels like a waste of blodge to have it sitting on the bench. Too many (Potentially) good elves, not enough average ones to hide behind! Maybe I should have just taken block/Wrestle or guard…

In more clearly good news, I can at last afford not only 11 players for the first time in ages, but a bench! Now, the question is do I hire another line elf, or maybe the second thrower? Thrower is more expensive, but Elixion has an armour break and could well die at any time. Maybe starting on the second thrower earlier rather than later could be smart? It’s only 20k more, and they could go accurate right from the start as an offensive option.

16. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd take the lineelf and bench the thrower on Defence.
    If you take the thrower he will be lining up on the LoS for a few of games which isn't the best way to spend an extra 20K.
    IMO having 3 players you are happy putting on the line is more important than starting to level up a new thrower.

17. Remthar

Country Flag:
    Yeah, that makes sense.

18. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    OFL is all run through Discord, right? Do they have some sort of bot that records/displays results? Because if they do, maybe that bot can also report standings on request.

Remthar likes this.
  19. TomSchnizz

TomSchnizz Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Tom Schnizz
    Cyanide Username:
    Le Bread masqué
    Country Flag:
    There is a spreadsheet with the standings pinned in discord

Remthar likes this.
  20. Remthar

Country Flag:
    I just realized this has been updating! Derp >.< Thanks for the heads up.

There were complications with the bots due to custom teams being recreated and the league moving through 4 different competition rounds in separate leagues. I believe we are moving to a slightly simpler system for next season.

So the standing for my division (I play each of these teams once now) are

W/D/L (points) 1 pt for a win, .5 for a draw, none for a loss. Top team in division goes to the play-offs, there might be a couple of wildcard with the highest points that don't win a division.

1 Uldreg Touch of Gray 5/4/4 (7)
    2 DeToX86 Visionaries -OFL 5/2/5 (6)
    3 McClane The "Mad" Hatters 5/2/6 (6)
    4 Remthar Greater Ulthuan Exiles 4/3/6 (5.5)

The visionaries have a game in hand.

So we're not complete out of the running, but our fate is not entirely in our own hands. Likely we'll need to win all three games, and someone else will have to beat Uldreg as well. Wildcard is very unlikely without a lot of second place teams completely crash for all their last games.

Borke and TomSchnizz like this.