High Elf (OFL) Greater Ulthuan Exiles

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
The standings spreadsheet has tabs showing which teams are in playoff slots at the moment, 8.5 looks like it could be enough.

upload_2019-11-5_11-46-12.png

Of course you do actually have to finish second too!

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
MD 14, 15 and 16.

“Run for it, that's an opening! No, not there, there! Protect Alanalanath! Not like that, over there!” roared Remtharion. “Stop dying, you cowards!”

“Flee! Flee for your lives!” screamed the lineselves

“Alanalanath is already ahead of the game I see, I think he ran right through the stands and out the stadium,” said Leonas

“Coward! Get back there and get the ball!”

“Don’t worry boss, Deion has it… okay no, now he’s under a pile of men being kicked.”

“Why will no one preotect Alanalanath?!”

“Because you keep order them to do other things instead?”

“Has no one else on this team heard of multitasking?! Where is Indomita?!”

“Crying in frustration and beating up our own line elves because she hasn’t hurt anything in weeks.”

So, as people may have guessed from the radio silence for the three weeks, things have not gone swimmingly. I mean, in the end we drew with Uldregs Nurgle, lost to Detoxes Bretonias and beat Mcclanes Chorfs. So it could have been a lost worse, but in addition to some last season didn’t-make-the-play-offs blues I just played really really badly in a few places. Alanalanth got unnecessary blitzed while holding the ball in all three games and I was just a mess of chasing after the ball the entire time.

The game against the nurgle was in the rain and just sucked. They had a STR5 warrior with Tentacles as well, which didn’t help. I pushed through an opening, but miscounted players and left Alanalath just completely in the open. Only reason Nurgle didn’t win with a defensive touchdown was a well maintained tripwire on our endzone.

We lost Tathron (+MA, dodge, guard free agent blitzer) because I missed jump up on a pestigor. That was his only skill as well, but pow dead, dead.

“Apothecary, why didn’t you heal him?! I thought you were dating!”

“Yeah, we broke up,” said the elf maiden. “I mean, he was kind of diapointing. Like the rest of you?”

Bretts was a least a 3-2 loss where no one died. With no tackle and a STR4 AGI4 blizters to carry the ball for the brets, we couldn’t really touch them with leap. We just scored fast, and they did the same.

Against the chorfs we got a fair amount of luck. Double skulls absorbed the chorf rerolls and when it mattered most they couldn’t pick up the ball or knock over the elves with the ball.

Alanalath finally got leap in time for this match, and put on a show with Neon Dieon, leaping over the entire chorf team together to sack the ST$ hob together and sprint away with the ball.

Win came at a cost though, with our brand new STR4 line elf niggled and Indestruction (our last guard line elf with 13 SPP) -AV.

We didn’t make the play-offs, and I’m disappointed in how I played for the most part. Maybe High Elves weren’t the best reintroduction to bloodbowl after a long break, the team is pretty strange really, and pretty hard to play. There are so many things the team could do, it’s harder than average to tell what it should do. I think my main problems are:
  1. Trying to do too many things at once, or changing the goal mid turn. I keep panicking and trying things that maybe I don’t have to.
  2. Greed. This one is a little harder to get a grip on a solution to. High elves need SPP to live and build, every player needs a couple of skills to do their job right, and even more when they start with a stat or double… I am very sure I would have won more games if I just scored with Alanalanath, but I've been trying to level Indomita and others where possible. I have weakened my positioning for SPP passes and to try and get the ball to the right player for the touchdown, which usually hasn't worked out anyway.
Playing worse than I know I can has been more draining on my morale than swings of luck or player deaths, which is a pity because It’s also drained my creativity for fun fluff. If I was starting this league again, I would not go High elves again, at least not with where I am skill-wise right now. But it would be a waste to reroll them now, right when I have the making of a genuinely good team. Hopefully a break for a few weeks while the play-offs are done will let me recover and come back with a better run.
4rSr9XgwKjy75yVhPbH75D4Ha55OEdijiHVqe75t2gYg7cwFlTNbu-rvQ82GujE2TCx9y5ZcgmcQk1sIDOQhBtn-7_T0TitaVN6_CoOmvLmpkU3hilX5QY0KvKSZaY24mwT_43Vy

We have 12 players on the squad, though some are a bit broken.

Elixion (thrower with blodge and -AV) leveled and roll a non-double ten. Accurate or +move? Not sure about the move on the armour broke player. Though hilariously it does turn him into a wood elf thrower.

STR4 6spp line elf, with a niggle. I regret taking the strength on this guy. He is yet another elf that needs to be fed SPP before they’re good and needs to be protected! And now he’s niggled as well. I’m considering just firing him.

Indestructaron, (guard 13 SPP). Lasted longer than I thought he would with that name. Probably worth keeping even with AV7?

Welerion. Rookie line elf with -AGI. Kept him around for the last few games in the hope of maybe having a bench. Only had a bench for one game all season. Keep or cut?

Affecting all of this are the offseason rules. I will get a rookie line elf for free, and maybe a free level up on him. Very welcome! I will then get a random MVP and MNGs will be cleared for the new season. So there is some reason to maybe clear out a bad player or two before the MVP lands. I do have 70k gold and could buy an extra line elf to make numbers as well. That or maybe save up for a new FA a couple of games in.

So, sorry for the silence on this and I hope I’ll do better on that next season.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
"kind of disappointing" was worth the wait for that line. HiE are a hard hard team which does give me a lot of respect for Mardaed (as a coach anyway) but your team is still in decent shape with the two ball threats. They are your main weapon at the moment (at least in games where you can't get wizards) so you're going to have to lean on them even when it puts them at risk. Just turn the opponent's offensive drives into a scramble. I think trying to spread spp around is a good idea so don't stop that. Aim to score in 5 turns on your drives and use the remaining to harass the ball hard. GL

Remthar

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Aim to score in 5 turns on your drives and use the remaining to harass the ball hard. GL

I think this succinctly states what I need to be aiming for. Now you say it, I think you gave me this advice when I was learning High elves the first time, and I recall it helping a great deal actually. Thanks TS.