1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurgle [OFL] Rise of the Depesticons

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by 20phoenix, Jul 26, 2014.

1. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Shockwave stood atop the rise and contemplated on the recent events that had led them here. The final fight for Earth had shattered the Depesticons forces and had led to the loss of their powerful leader Megatron. The remnants of the Depesticons had fled and it had taken the combined efforts of Shockwave and Starscream to rally a group on the edges of Earths solar system. With Cybertron destroyed and Earth in the hands of the Autobeards a safe haven was required where they could rebuild. The Autobeards had discovered the rogue group though and scattered them once more. It was during this flight from the Autobeards that they had discovered the wormhole. The decision was made to take their chances and drop through it to escape the pursuing Autobeards. It was their only chance.......

This new land was strange. It was fertile, and early reconnaissance reports from Starscream indicated there were plenty of primitive tribes scattered through the world. This pleased him - you could never have enough slaves. A strange sensation was gnawing at him though - something he had experienced before but couldn't quite place. His entire frame felt like it was vibrating gently and it was putting him on edge. Quietly at first, but steadily rising in volume, he could hear the pulsing of Starscream's jets returning from a reconaissance flight. His radio crackled, "This is Starscream, there are creatures inbound to your location from the East - Depesticons mobilise!"

The earth shook as the eight Depesticons that had made it through the wormhole transformed into battle mode. Shockwave sighted down his laser cannon at the dust rising in the distance. Time to discover how much of a fight this world was going to give them......

The Depesticon Survivors:

Starscream - Nurgle Warrior
    Shockwave - Nurgle Warrior
    Vortex - Pestigor
    Shrapnel - Rotter
    Kickback - Rotter
    Bonecrusher - Rotter
    Dirge - Rotter
    Scavenger - Rotter

I initially drafted #47 of 56 but traded myself up to #17 before indulging in some major trade shenanigans including a 5 way trade to get me 530k FA cap with Chaos Pact as my first choice. I was sitting in #30 and it was all looking like it was going to plan until Charliebanks threw a curveball and selected the last LFC Pact slot leaving me my second choice - Nurgle.

Scouting the free agents I decided I wanted a good beast due to the elfy nature of the LFC and a leveled warrior was essential. There's a couple of each i've got my eye on so will have to see what lands in my plate during free agency. In order to get these though I have had to make some sacrifices - dropping a warrior and reroll. Depending on how the free agency pans out I may pick up the warrior afterwards but if I get what I want then i'll have to make do without.

Plan is to go into full on stymie mode. I intend on being an annoying bastard this era - plenty of stand firm and guard with hopefully, a healthy dose of tentacles thrown in for good measure. No idea how full of win this will be as i've never tested it but will be interesting to find out!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    It is interesting the way FAs force you to make some tough choices during team creation. For me I may end up going in with no Krox (despite really wanting one to act as a buffer much like a woodie tree) but with a Krox I'll be down to only 50k to spend on skills and no apo.

3. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    And the first of the tough choices is upon me......

Neither of the FAs I wanted are in the first set of FA's but in delicious mockery ALL the second best options are!

I'm willing to gamble with the beast - theres three good beasts there - the ST6 one and the two block ones so either of those would do. Out of a pool size of eight the chances are good at least one of those will figure (about 93%).

The warriors are a trickier proposition though - my preferred option is the blodge/guard/SF one but there is also a block/guard/SF/MB one and two block/guard ones (one with a broken neck). Both the block/guard ones are available this time. With thirteen warriors in the pool this isnt as straightforward especially if Michaels snaps up either of them. If they both stay in I make it an 83% chance at least one is available while if one goes that drops to 74% and both to 59%. Of course Michaels could take the killer and help me out too ;)

Decisions, decisions......

EDIT: Michaels has bid on the healthy block/guard warrior.....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Quick! Outbid him by one!

5. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I like the choice of theme, although I prefer my Crunch cup Khemris Transfemurs theme more.

I don't really understand the bidding system for FAs so I won't try to give advice other than a ST6 Beast sounds lovely.

6. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I don't want to commit to a purchase I don't think. However I did consider putting in a min bid just to try and get all four warriors to remain in the pool. However I think I may let him take it so I have free rein over the second batch tomorrow.

7. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Which seems like the same strategy Thul is going to use against me. Happily I have everything I wanted. Block guard blitzer and two dodge catchers should help to counterbalance the lack of starting skills somewhat. Means I won't be able to start with a Krox which sucks but I'll just have to buy him in soon as I can.

8. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    The Autobeards shall bring justice to your treacherous lot!

9. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Every time someone starts a new Chaos Beard team an angel gets his wings... chopped off... before being thrown into a blender.... and fed to Satan.... :(

10. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Time to provoke some debate - been pencilling out a rough development plan for the team. I want them to be as annoying as possible to play so this is what I came up with. The red are the FAs i'm after and may be different depending on whats available second FA period.

Beast: +ST/guard/grab/BT/SF
    NW #1: Block/Dodge/Guard/SF/MB/Tents

NW #2: Block/Guard/SF/MB/Claw/Tents
    NW #3: Block/MB/Guard/SF/Tents/Tackle
    NW #4: Block/MB/Guard/SF/Claw/Tents
    Pest #1: Sure Hands/Block/Extra Arms/Two Heads/????
    Pest #2: Block/MB/Claw/Piling On/Tackle/Frenzy
    Pest #3: Block/MB/Tackle/Extra Arms/Two Heads/Claw
    Pest #4: Wrestle/Tackle/Strip Ball/Two Heads/MB/Fend

I want to get some tail in there but not sure how. Maybe lose tents off a couple of the warriors. I've presumed all normals for all - doubles or stats makes some of the planned paths interesting.

Any thoughts - this is a draft plan so feel free to criticise at will!

11. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    It'd be nice to fit some grab in there too, it's an exceedingly irritating skill to have to play against. Given how often even ST5 tents fail I'd be tempted to replace them with tails on all the warriors to be honest. Doing that makes tackle a good skill for them though, so it doesn't really help with trying to fit things in - maybe lose claws on the warriors but build two killer pests?

12. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I've debated the claw/tackle thing a bit over the last week before eventually coming to the conclusion that while killer pests are lovely, warriors are better at dealing with high armour targets as they don't need to blitz to get ST4 hits and high armoured targets are more likely to carry extra strength. I'm still not entirely sure on this yet though.

The problem I was having with tails is that a tail requires either DT or tackle to be much use. This takes me back to what you were saying in your post - if you put put tackle/DT and a tail on a warrior you have to lose claw (BL/G/SF/MB being non negotiable warrior skills). This is why i've been leaning towards testing out tents spam. ST4 v ST3 tents is 58% chance to hold them - not great on its own but when you have to make those rolls every turn for lets says 3-4 players your movement is going to be restricted somewhat.

13. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Neither free agent target showed in the FA pool the second time either which is a shame but my second choices in both categories are both there so I'll be buying those.

Hunvale (Warrior) - Block/Guard/SF/MB - 57 SPP
    Spawn of Glaaki (Beast) - Block/Guard/SF/Grab - 71SPP

Not a bad starting point for the team. Leaves me with 90k left so will likely pick up a second pest. Its either that or a rotter and save 50k for a reroll/4th warrior but I think the pest makes most sense.

14. timdog

timdog Member

Country Flag:
    I think Wilds winning nurgle team (sternch of da feet, season 9ish?) made use of tents on the warriors to great effect - that's what my brain is remembering anyways.

Oh and that's a nice beast, Block and 7 spp from a level.

15. timdog

timdog Member

Country Flag:
    Well i was almost right - it was the winning team from Season 6 that Wild had a bunch of warriros with tentacle and liked it (most of em died by the end of it though, he had a bad run on warriors even though he did take the cup home).

16. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Good to hear as i've seen minimal anecdotal evidence from people who've tried it.

It seems from talking to people in OFL chat that people want to hear the theory behind tentacles spam so i'll explain a bit further.

For the sake of this discussion I am assuming I am play ST3 blodge elves. I am also assuming my warriors are already equipped with block/guard/stand firm.

For an elf to dodge away from a warrior with that build it is 97.2% likely that they will succeed.
    If I take tentacles next that becomes a 56.7% chance to dodge away
    If I take tackle next that becomes a 83.3% chance
    If I take a tail next that becomes a 88.9% chance
    If I roll a double and take diving tackle that becomes a 75% chance.

So out of the single skills that limits movement tentacles is the most effective when taking the narrow view. The other considerations that must be taken into account when considering tackle is that it has other benefits - a fail means a loss of a reroll or a turnover and armour roll. It also aids hitting power increasing the likelihood of a knockdown by 25%. When this is considered tackle becomes a superior choice. It should be noted that diving tackle also has the benefit of causing a turnover.

So i've taken tackle on my warriors now but what next?
    That elf is now 83.3% likely to evade my clutches.
    If tentacles is added that is now 48.6%
    If tail is added that is now 66.7%
    If I roll a double and take diving tackle is now added that is 50%.

Taking the narrow view again tentacles is once again the superior option. When additional benefits are considered again diving tackle does compare well (causing a turnover or costing a reroll) but the decision is much more marginal and assumes you have rolled a double. The benefits of tentacles is you remain on your feet and can block/move full range the following turn as well as only taking up one skill slot to be fully effective. Complimentary skills will increase its effectiveness but is not reliant on those complimentary skills to be good at what it does.

Writing this down has made me revisit the order i've skilled the warriors slightly. My FA warrior will take the NW #2 skill path with claw next so I have an answer for the bash teams besides annoyance. NW #1 then becomes Block/Guard/SF/Tackle/Tents/Tail.

The amusing thing is this whole debate is likely redundant as i'm not going to be racking up 4 superstar warriors in 48 games :p

17. timdog

timdog Member

Country Flag:
    Nurgle is an annoying defense team, so it fits. Nurgle can most ceratinly dish the pain, but they have more unique defense options due to thier starting skills so going more control and less pain is not a bad thing in my mind. Good luck with it :)

18. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Shockwave focused on the prisoners as he oiled his moving parts. They had put up much more of a fight than he had expected from creatures that appeared so....feeble. In appearance they were similar to the humans of Earth but they emitted a putrid green glow. Most were horrifically mutated in some form and most of them looked they were about to fall apart at any moment. Despite this they were fiendishly strong. Two things had caught his attention during the fight. When battle had joined a shot from his laser cannon had taken off most of torso of one of the larger mutated creatures. The creature had dropped down murmuring as he went and within seconds the flesh had begin to pull together and soon the area was as before but heavily scarred. The second was puzzling him though - the creatures seemed to be able to harness a raw power, one that reminded him eerily of the Allspark.

He stood and gestured at Vortex. "Its time to get some answers" he growled. Vortex whirred menacingly in response. Together they advanced towards the group of survivors. The largest of them, a giant creature with grasping limbs protruding from every part of his body, moved forward to meet them.

"What creatures can resist the power of the Great Pestilent One? You talk like humans but the stench of machinery clings to you. Your hides are of metal and magical fire pours from within you. Are you foul creations of the stunted ones? What is your purpose?" hissed the creature.

Shockwave bristled at the temerity of this creature, "Our purpose is to destroy the Autobeards and take back what is rightfully ours." His deep, mechanical voice reverberated around the canyon, "We will enslave this world and regain our power until the time comes for us to return and wreak vengeance upon those that have defied us"

Vortex took a step forward, his twin blades slowly whirring, "What power drives you? We kill but you do not die, we shoot but you are not hit. You have no energy packs or spare parts - how can this be"

The creature gurgled in an echoing mockery of a laugh, "We draw on the power of the Great Pestilent One, the Grandfather of Chaos, Papa Nurgle. He protects us from the pain and suffering of this world and in return we give him our lives, our souls and our prayers." One of the larger, more human shaped creatures behind him stepped forward and muttered to the speaker. The creature hissed.

"So it is power you seek? Raw, unharnessed power?"

Shockwave's eyes glowed an intense red, "Show us this power" he rumbled, "Show us and we will spare your lives. Betray us and even your......Grandfather.......will not be able to piece together your ashes"

19. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Divisions are up and anti-elf seems to be the way forward. I will be renewing hostilities with Dreamy again except i'm rocking a new pair of boots. I have to try and beat up Ken but only roll BH's so he can leave loads of nice pact players in the FA pool for next era and Thsin who is sporting a ST5 blodge/tackle/frenzy pro elf blitzer....

20. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Things had been moving along fast since the clash with the diseased band of renegades and the news was better than Shockwave had ever imagined. Shards of the Allspark were here! On this world! They had questioned the tentacled creature at great length about the source of the power on this world. He nearly spat oil when the creature described the cause of the worlds many battles - battles for control of small metal artifacts which imbued the wielder with great power. No mistaking the description of the shards and although new uses for its power appeared to have been found. Starscream's reconnaissance had located sixteen of these shards and they were now closing in on the location of the first. A local tribe were currently in posession of it. Battle was at hand.....