1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurgle [OFL] Rise of the Depesticons

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by 20phoenix, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Battle? Slaughter more like it. :p

2. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    The battle had been brutal. From the moment Onslaught had shot the eye out of what the Spawn had called "Elves" the battle had rapidly descended into a rout.

The elves had arrived first and deployed a screen to protect the shard but Onslaught's early shot had created an opening for Vortex and Spawn to break through the elf lines. An elf had tried to toss the shard away from the closing Depesticons but had been put off by Spawns foul presence. Vortex had guarded the shard where it had fallen while Onslaught took the most direct route through another elf before securing the shard. With elves closing on their position and no help at hand Onslaught had eluded his adversaries and ran to the rally point only to see the shard ripped from his hand by an unseen force. Once again the Depesticons had managed to secure the shard as the elves were beginning to lose numbers. Vortex it was who this time had carried it into the rally point after Onslaught had tossed it to him only to yet again see it ripped out of his hands, this time behind the Depesticon lines. Vortex reclaimed it but the elves mounted a desperate bid to reclaim it, Vortex falling to the floor in the scuffle but Onslaught was there to keep the elves at bay and reclaim their prize. This time he handed the shard to Starscream. Seeing the hulking Depesticon with the shard the elves turned tail and fled leaving behind their dead.

Soundwave and Starscream scrutinised the shard intently. Contrary to the reports they had received this was not a shard of the Allspark but there were similarities. Soundwave could feel the power pulsing inside it but it was like none he had other known. Spawn broke off from his feeding frenzy and slithered over "A treasure isnt it? " he hissed. "Would you like to see a demonstration of the power these shards contain?" Soundwave stared at the beast intently, his red eyes burning. He still didnt trust these two creatures but Spawn especially had fought well, felling two elves, one of which never got back up. He sighted down his cannon as he offered the shard to the beast. "I'll burn a hole through your chest if you try anything" he threatened.

Spawns tentacles wrapped around the shard and he slowly slithered over to the elf he had killed. The Depesticons gathered round, curious about this power they had in their hands. Muttering at first, then rising in pitch, Spawn began to chant. As he began to reach a crescendo he thrust the shard down, straight into the chest of the dead elf. Lesions began to crawl out across the elfs flawless skin. Boils broke the surface and a fetid stench rose from the corpse. The elf suddenly lurched upright, turned to face Spawn and dropped to one knee. "I live to serve master"

When you draw the reigning champions first game with a top out of the box team you expect to get a hammering. Early dice fails from Dreamy were punished and elf armour was non existent first half. In all the dice made it not much of a contest but the rich haul of SPPs is just what the doctor ordered, 16 SPP shared out between the four rookie positionals. Onslaught leveled with a TD, cas and pass and rolled a +AG so I guess I know who's going down the ball handling route!

Thsins Meadowlark-less pros next week (thanks Ken) and i'm going to be facing a fair few inducements. Hope lightning doesnt fry their circuits ;)

3. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Beat Thsins Pros 2-1 last weekend although I played the first half like a fool. Gave the ball to a warrior after the ball went out of bounds only to get myself tied up in knots by pro elves that I just couldnt remove from the pitch. The wizard fireball on turn 1 wasnt a decisive one but four turns later I did eventually cough up the ball and Thsin scored on turn 6. I managed to pull one back before halftime because AG4 pests are awesome. His setup bizarrely left me an open run to getting 4 players in scoring range and after the sidestepper was removed from Onslaught he caught the ball, blitzed the final elf out the way and double GFI'd for the equaliser. Played much better in the second half as the Nurgle defence quickly squeezed the space the elves had to work in and they ended up sending the blodgestep blitzer through on his own with the ball. My blitz turned up the necessary pow and from there Onslaught recovered the ball and sprinted through a gap while his teammates ran interference eventually scoring on turn 16. No levels from the game but another decent gold roll takes me to 120k and 20k short of the third reroll.

Played MD3 against Ken yesterday due to scheduling conflicts next week and he provided me with a fine demonstration of what happens when the big guys won't cooperate. Crashers blitz attempt on Soundwave in turn 1 was stymied by foul appearance so I used the opportunity to tie her up with Hunvale and Spawn hoping the guard would keep her quiet. This worked pretty well as her attempt to get free next turn come up skull, failed loner and a couple of turns later was injured off by Spawn (apo used on BH to keep her in the game). Meanwhile the other bigs were failing there WA/RS checks willy nilly. Onslaught was KO'd fairly early after failing a dodge then getting fouled and he didnt come back for the rest of the game. The rest of the Nurgle force were closing in on Prancy Bellosi but a nice move from Ken created a gap for him to slip through and get into a loose cage in the Nurgle half. There was a downed rotter next to him though and I was able to get Vortex there to remove an assist to allow the downed rotter to 1d blitz Prancy which got a push rerolled to stumble and stunned him preventing a Dunce score.

Teams lined up for the second half with 11 v 10 in the Nurgles favour. The Dunce troll was KO'd off the LOS but a blitz turnover from Starscream meant I didnt pick up the ball in my first turn. Crasher and a marauder pushed down my left flank while Prancy threatened on the right. I made some blocks before pushing Prancy back behind the Nurgle line and Vortex picked up the ball, scrambling behind the bulk of the Nurgle forces. Prancy tried to dodge past the line but failed which earned him a boot but his armour held and the rotter was sent off. The Dunce forces were beginning to be KO'd conistently by this point and as the Nurgle pushed into the Dunce half the Dunce numbers began to dwindle. Another foul on the skaven yielded another send off for no armour break but by turn 15 the Nurgle were secure enough to attempt a hand off to Starscream who failed to hold it even with reroll. The ball fortuitously scattered back into the hands of Vortex who caught it. Vortex mas marked by a blitzing Crasher but passed the 3+ dodge the next turn to take the 1-0 lead. Dunce's then failed 6/6 KO rolls for the turn 16 setup. Vortex's TD gives him a level and Soundwave getting the MVP means I'll have two more block for the next game. Spawn also leveled from hurting Crasher so barring anything special will be adding BT to his armoury. The win guarantees i'll have enough money for a reroll but I want to see where Gusya's team is at before I do anything as doing so is likely going to give him a wizard/saw. Since Ken killed my bench (2 dead rotters including Eena dying for a second time this season) facing a saw could be nasty. May shelve the reroll and pick up the fourth warrior instead.

4. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I clearly must have stolen Niks level up dice as I rolled my second +AG in four skill up rolls on this team. However it was on the beast so got passed over in favour of BT. Now I have a fully skilled beast i'm happy to let him just behave like a normal beast again (sit around dispensing hugs :p)

5. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    The Depesticons are off to a impressive start 20P!

6. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I've been lucky for the most part. I think the game with Thsin was probably the only one where I felt I hadn't been given an auto win by the dice. Got money being thrown at me hand over fist as well. Can't complain though!

7. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Playing Itchen tomorrow and undecided about whether to buy a pest or not. Still havent bought the third reroll (20k short) but its not like i'm suffering without it and since i'm now up to 6 block the worst of the unreliability should be behind me. Itchen is currently giving me a babe and he has a twelve man roster v my eleven. I know he's going to foul, so considering postponing the reroll to give myself a bench. Thoughts?

8. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I did buy a pest but then had a pretty average game coaching wise. Playing first thing in the morning seems to make me sluggish as I over ran on a few turns early doors. Eventually lost 1-0 to the Skanks but the really big news is that Onslaught suffered a -MA :( What to do with an MA5 AG4 pest :confused:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  9. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    MA5 isn't a great ballcarrier. Give him 2 heads and he can get into a standard cage on a 4+ so unless both corners have guard that would be at least a 1D blitz on the ballcarrier 75% of the time ( with reroll )
    wrestle , tackle , 2 heads and hope for a double for dodge or leap?

10. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    He has block already but I guess the premise is still the same

11. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    The transformer grudge match was a bit of a farce after Barm took three dead blockers and a -MA on a blocker in the first 4 turns. No claw involved, two were from MB hits and a death from a foul. Barm nearly managed to pull off some shenanigans to score on turn 11 but his superstar bull failed a pickup with reroll when that was all he had left to do. In the absence of Onslaught, Vortex picked up the slack scoring twice in a 2-0 win.

Vortex picked up the MVP as well which gets him to level 3. Not sure whether to take sure hands and build a ball carrier or tackle as i'm going to need it in the second half of the season (remaining schedule is Chaos, Circus, Flings, Skaven, High Elves, Pact, Lizards, Pact, Pro, Woodie)

12. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    MD7 was a real grind against ScottishDuncs Chaos. Dunc brought a bribe and Max Spleenripper to the party but they were both gone by turn 3 when Dunc scored and promptly failed the bribe :rolleyes: A riot set the clock back giving me plenty of time to score but I could not break down the packed Chaos ranks. When I pushed harder into contact with my two guard pieces leading the charge some 1d blocks pulled the Chaos back into control and injured Spawn in the process (regen kept him in the game) by turn 8 we had got within range but with no pitch removals the Chaos had the whole of their squad set up in columns in front of the ball. Onslaught time. Starscream clears the front of one column, Onslaught is handed the ball and has a 3+, 3+, 2+ dodge sequence to make and two GFIs with a reroll on hand. Exactly 50/50. He burns the reroll on the second 3+ dodge, skips into the clear and falls at the last GFI. He would have made it without the MA bust. I blame Itchen :D

Second half and its a similar story - packed Chaos ranks not giving up ground, The muscle sent into contact to force the issue. This time the 1ds dont come off and a good round of blocks sees the Chaos ball carrier leave the pitch. A turn later a warrior follows suit and it is looking good for the Depesticons. Not enough time on the clock and not enough chaos players off to try for a win so Depesticons stall out until turn 16 to take a 1-1 draw. My new rotter Mean Machine formerly of the Autobeards stepped on the pitch for the first time in turn 16 to face his hazing. He didn't make it that far as Barmution had clearly snuck into the stadium and launched a rock at his former protege. Only a KO though

Post game Phenex takes block so we now have all four warriors with block and my free rotter from Dreamy, Wrena took the MVP and DP. She is looking forward to stamping on him in MD16 :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  13. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    A loss to Ging in MD8 followed by a win over RTSDs flings move the Depesticons to 6-1-2 for the season and still maintaining a 1.5 point lead over Thsins Pros.

Team development continues apace and I now have skills for all my positionals by which I mean block. Except this one pest who has rolled a double first skill. Worth taking dodge or just stick with block?

14. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    I'd grab Dodge. You can probably manage to get him to 16 SPP quickish and Blodge + SH is exactly what you're looking for in a ball-handler Pest.

15. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Dodge is what I took and it took 2 games to get him blodged up. Vortex is now block/MB/tackle to help me with those pesky elves. Sadly in those two games I lost my beast due to an unfortunate coming together with Ming. Charlies pact are up next week and its stocked up with blockless MB. I'm currently about the same TV but with 11 players v his 13. Buy a rookie beast and give up a wizard 9knowing Charlie that could well be a bribe/babe instead!)

16. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    11 players seems unwise considering the low speed of your players if you were to lose a couple. Get the BoN unless you plan on getting him as an FA later.

17. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Picked up the beast and he turns out to be a bit of a wuss. Struggled to knock people over and can't take a hit as he was killed during the game. Regen has given him a second chance though.

The game itself was a game of two halves. I received and struggled to make any impact on the pact, taking multiple blocks to take them down and not removing anything. My players left the pitch in dribs and drabs which eventually allowed Charlie to park his mino next to BC. Only way I could get the carrier into a protected position was to rely on him to AG3 dodge which didnt work at all. The pact recovered the ball and got it protected so i responded by failing a dodge with the same pest again. Half over.

Second half and both my KOs didnt return so I was a player down. Pact recover the ball with the elf but after a half where the pact went 17/18 on big guy checks the big guys decided to take a break for the second half. When the troll and ogre both went stupid in the same turn a blitz on the adjacent marauder made a gap for Vortex and Megatron to go through and mark the carrier while the rest of the nurgle tied down anything that could help. The linerat dodged free to 1d push Vortex away but the elf failed to break the tents which allowed me to blitz him with Vortex who injured him out of the game. Onslaught was then able to grab the ball in a tackle zone dodge and double GFI to get the ball away but the linerat came back for more and wrestled him to the floor. The scatter didnt help the pact so the nurgle set about clearing the ball and retrieved it again with Onslaught while Megatron got his tents on the nuisance linerat. A much needed pow on the blodge pest opened up a path for the mino to blitz Onslaught. Dice came up pushes (a theme for Arnie throughout the game) for the first block then the GFI for the followup was failed along with the loner roll to allow me to get clear and stall out the game. Still enough time for me to kill Matt Damon who will be added to the Depesticon ranks.

Glad to get away with a draw from that one considering the first half. Post game Soundwave took the MVP to level up and then rolled a double. I'm leaning towards taking dodge to make him a tough mudder to knock down. Next up - Dodes lizzies

18. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Dodes lizards was a game of two halves as he rolled over me in the first half while I returned the favour in the second for a 1-1 draw.

MD14 was Kens Pact and after a horrendous start where my pest failed three pick up rolls which allowed the Pacts MA8 rat to score a defensive TD we recovered to a 2-1 victory courtesy of some bad second half dice for Ken. Shame as the game had been a real nailbiter in the first half with Ken putting me in some tricky spots. Crasher had a good first half, claiming a couple of scalps including a -ST on Vortex which regenned. Hunvale had his best game for the Depesticons as he claimed two of his own including a collar bone break on the AG5 dark elf (apo'd from dead). Those two results mean the Depesticons clinch the division with two games to spare. Now its time to try and secure one of those top 2 seeds so I can save myself a game :p

Two serious injuries on rotters from this game - a -MV and a -AG on separate rookie rotters. Will keep the -AG for the LOS. Not sure about the -MV one though.

19. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    MV4 is crap. Sack him. Nurgle does NOT need to be even slower.

20. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Match report from wildcard round of playoffs:

Tough old game against Jounisii. Depesticons got told to receive and starte by fucking up straight off the bat as Rampage sat out the drive after a setup cockup. Went stun happy at first then failed to pick up the ball. Beyonce tried to shove a rotter onto the ball to make it easier to pickup but failed and Matt Damon taught her a lesson as he fouled her out of the game. Depesticons probed right and left but struggled to find a clear path to take although the elves helped as a loner elf fouled himself out trying to hurt Hunvale. Turn 7 Razorclaw found himself in a cage in range but the position was precarious as it was a straightforward blitz for Tina to leap into the cage and floor him. Thankfully the scatter left it difficult to retrieve which gave me a tough shot to score. A rookie rotter shoved one elf away, Spleenripper sawed the blodgestep blitzer off which allowed Onslaught to run in, grab the ball and hand off to the crippled Matt Damon. He caught it first time and took the 2 GFIs to take the lead. Shakers one turner then got scuppered by a pitch invasion with Depesticons having fame.

Second half a perfect defence put shakers on the back foot early on which wasnt helped by the block dice giving them little option but to take to the floor. A catcher was sent through as a scoring threat and stayed on his feet after a Rampage blitz. Tina hauled herself to her feet after taking a boot to the face and ran to help out the catcher but was then thrown the ball. Some cover was provided which prevented any blitzes from the Depesticons and when Hunvale KO'd himself on a double skulls Shakers managed to put in a two turn stall until numbers came back to help out.

A blitz on the final drive could have been more troublesome with a short kick but mercifully the elves could only harry. Megatron went to hug the two harassers and a little ruckus broke out in the middle of the pitch for a couple of turns. With two turns remaining Razorclaw burst into the Shaker half inside a cage. Delaying tactics were employed by Shakers but an untimely slip from the blodgestep blitzer left an opening which just needed Tina to move aside. Skull skull. Good job i had a reroll to sort that out but two naked GFIs left for the game.

TOUCHDOWN!!

Depesticons move on to the semis to lose to Dark Elves ;)