1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Optimal bench size?

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Tusak, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Tusak

Tusak Active Member

Steam Username:
    Tusak
    Cyanide Username:
    Tusak
    Country Flag:
    So, how many substitutes are optimal for tv based matchmaking? More is more, but TV bloat needs to be considered.

I guess this will depend on the race and tv rating, so I'd appreciate your thoughts and reasonings behind them.

I'm currently playing necro, and I have currently 2 zombies on the bench. TV is around 170, so I haven't faced that many true killer teams yet though.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    2 zombies on the bench sounds about right for Necro could maybe even drop to 1 but around 170/ you can get really nasty orc and chorf teams, built to kill. At around 2000 TV you might consider 3 to combat killer chaos/nurgle, you could even get 4 and foul a lot.

3. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    As you say depends on the race etc. I'm not really used to necro but TV MM is generally about TV efficiency, the higher your TV the more likely you will run into a scary Chaos team. I'd probably just go with 1 sub zombie unless you like to foul a lot.

4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Do you play in the champ ladder?

I think 2 subs is the minimum for an agi 2/3 team at that tv. The vast majority of your games will be against other bash, especially chaos, nurgle, chorfs and khemri. You're just going to get diced into too many frustrating defeats if you don't have a reasonable bench.

5. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    If you don't run ghouls or have some MNG then you could run less subs due to everyone having regen.

6. TwoScoops

TwoScoops Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    MSG Musculo
    Cyanide Username:
    TwoScoops
    Country Flag:
    I played necros last champs ladder season with 3 extra zombies on the bench after I hit 1500. I liked to foul a lot with them and I almost always had 2-3 go down and/or out during a game, so that seemed like a good number to keep on the sidelines for me.

7. Tusak

Tusak Active Member

Steam Username:
    Tusak
    Cyanide Username:
    Tusak
    Country Flag:
    This is a concede fest aka an Open Ladder team. But yea, it seems majority of opponents are bash there also. Team is 14W - 3D - 5L record overall, with last month 7-1-0.

But yeah, I think I may get an extra zombie as there will be killer teams coming up as tv rises.

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Country Flag:
    As others have said, there's no general answer to this, it depends on your team and meta.

I don't play Necro, but I would have thought the cheap Zombies would make a deeper bench more appealing. You're not wasting much TV by keeping a Zombie on the bench. On the other hand, a Zombie isn't all that great even when they are on the pitch. How much worse off would you be with only 10 or even 9 players? And do you have the tools to reduce your opponent's numbers too, so you wouldn't necessarily be outnumbered?

TravelScrabble likes this.