1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other games I play

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Netsmurf, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Hola guys, seeing as we are all almost geeks;) I was wondering what other games do you play besides BB and DB?

I play:

Zombicide and have it all except for 1 survivor.
    - it is all players against an ever increasing zombie invasion and so far it has proven to be very well balanced and quite hard to win the games all the time

Starwars X-wings the miniture game:
    - I love the movement system and the utter chaos that can happen if two swarms clash. A very fun game and a must for any fanboy​

Formular D:
    Being a F1 fan it is something I just love to play, we have made houserules to crash even more and it is rare to have more than 4 of 10 cars to finish​

Im waiting for Kingdom Death: Monster but is has just been pushed to Q2 2014 so I will have to be patient:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Excellent first topic for the new section.

I've been working on something on this very topic soon to be announced.

There is a board game club locally which I go to fairly often, so get a chance to play all sorts of things.

3. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Two games for me:

Spartacus - Play this with my friends as we're all pretty good at stabbing each other in the back ;)

Necromunda - Bought this again recently and play the odd game down at the local gaming club when I get the chance. Probably my favourite GW game

4. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Warhammer been playing for 20years.. though not played in a while still like to horde mins.

DeadZone well its turning up this week so I will be playing it but I am writing my own rules system as I do not like the released version at all (enough that I am willing to write an entirely new version) but the models, setting and scenery are fantastic. Got into this because I was looking for a replacement for Necromunda - especially after Jake Thornton ruined my Scavvies :p

Dreadball: Good fun very very different from BB but close enough I knew I would like it. Fast paced, and quick to learn. Also I have a special 3-6 player pitch for finals with massive robots or monsters. My teams are the Insectoid Z'zors and the tentacled Crustaceans of the Nameless. Though the game needs more Skill options and more death IMO but thats apparently coming in season 4.

RPG's: World Of Darkness Mage, Vampire,.Hunter games based in the Darkages, Masqurade and Requiem. Iron Kingsdoms 3.5 edition, D&D 2nd,3rd (+3.5), 4th and Next, Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd & 3rd edition (My number 1 rpg systems), Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader (My fav of the 40k setting rpgs by miles) Starwars Edge of the empire, and no doubt numerous I have forgotten!

I am currently backing the 12 Elements of War Kickstarter Twelve Elements of War by Sword & Board Games — Kickstarter which looks fantastic as it combines a table top skirmish with a RPG and looks to be an improved supported replacement for Mordheim!

I used to play BFG and Epic but no longer have my minis though I am interested in a game of like scale.. All Quiet on the Martian front by Alien Dungeon looks cracking especially since I love the setting but I am waiting to see what happens regarding there planned expansions for Moon and Jupiter aliens before committing.

Smurf I am utterly jealous of you getting Kingdom Death, I missed the Kickstarter but was offered bronze/silver or a gold pledge on friday but I physically cannot afford to keep up with the expansions or model releases they do especially as they are all limited runs that sell out within 24hours. Though that game looks beautiful and I would love to play it at some point (;) hint hint ;) )

No doubt I have forgotten some really blatantly obvious systems but that gives you an idea that I rate 10/10 on my Geekiness scale!

5. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I used to play a fair amount of 40k (and a little of Fantasy, LOTR and others), but fell out of it due to a hatred of gamesworkshop.

I used to play wow for a bit, but my guild disintegrated after it lost two raid leaders to nervous breakdown, and as I was looking worrying like I might be next in line for the job I got out while the getting was good.

I also run a DnD/pathfinder game (though going a bit slow due to scheduling difficulties) and am about to start a homebrew RPG campaign. Also play a few board games.

Play a few PC games as well, RPGs and strategy game mostly (Though rarely RTS, I don't really enjoy them.)

I join Crimsonsun in the envy over Kingdom Death, I wish I could try some of these kickstarter games (especially the ones with nice minis...) but overseas postage is usually a bit to much for me :(

6. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    The one I linked is based in Aus mate! lol :p

7. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nice thread Netsmurf, although i have to admit that i thought it was about pc games.

I used to be a big donor to GW, playing all of Warhammer (Dwarves), W40k (Orks), Bloodbowl (Skaven & Dark elf) and Necromunda (Goliath and Scavy). I dropped out of Warhammer and 40k because it was becoming too expensive. BB I stopped when I moved to Japan (nobody plays it here) and Necromunda I stopped once I realised that the rules were heavily bias towards the shooting gangs.

I love the universe though, so am glad things are gradually coming out on pc. I'm currently hanging out for Armageddon (scheduled for release next year). Although my dream game would be a pc version of Warhammer (which will never happen as then everyone would stop buying the miniatures).

8. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    lol, so it is! I admit I just glanced at that one and was thinking of most of the others I've looked at. Interesting, overseas postage fromaustralia is only $5 more than within it. If other Kickstarters overseas postage was so little... (Though I assume that they calculated costs based on shipping overseas a lot in the first place.)

9. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I mainly play online games these days, as my 3rd shift schedule keeps me from doing much TT gaming except once a week. Dungeons and Dragons Online, Diablo 3, Battletech, DnD 3.5/Pathfinder ( 4th is an abomination), anything World of Darkness, RIFT (both the palladium game and the MMO ), pretty much anything pen and paper im willing to try and play. Played WOW , but raiding became a part time job, and the grinding got old FAST, along with the talent change making me dislike the game. Played Warhammer 40k (Necrons/Tau/Thousand Suns) years ago, and my favorite army ive seen was a Necron army painted in rainbow with a Monolith modded to have a lighted disco ball inside. No one wants to lose to the gay robots. ( This was well before they updated the army, I wish I could play with the new units) Mine was rusted. I figured they came from a tomb world where the roof had leaked.

Id be open to a skype/online RPG game if anyone runs one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Yeah thats true normally companies charge a fortune for postage, but these guys stated that they are going to make up the rest of the costs to keep it reasonable, and unified.

11. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    I used to play a lot of epic scale board games like Twilight Imperium 3rd edition, Arkham Horror and World of Warcraft (the boardgame) which could take 6+ hours of game time, but as I age and the availability of friends who can spare those amounts of time dwindles we've focused on more "Euro" type boardgames. Typical favourites are Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Age of Steam, Factory Manager, Agricola, Game of Thrones, Terra Mystica and Mage Knight (ok, this one takes some time). We still play the occasional game of Talisman as well but that's more of a social thing than "real" gaming ;)

I'm also part of a couple of Vampire: the Masquerade campaigns and have played copious amounts of other RPGs over the years too. Back in the late 90's I played some Warhammer Fantasy Battles (Skaven), 40k and Epic, as well as a bit of Necromunda. I even play Heroclix regularily so it's fairly safe to say that I'm firmly in the nerd lair too. :D

I also play a lot of video games with the main focus being on strategy games but sometimes also fun action romps like Borderlands and Left For Dead.

12. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Cant see why not to also add other PC games we play! I dont play much TT nowadays.

TT-wise my favourite game of all time would have to be Republic of Rome, from Avalon Hill, now republished under a different house whose name I cant remember. I actually still have the original box, all I need is other 4 or 5 players to play with!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NcPR96mDq4[/ame]

@Netsmurf, given we are in the same town etc would you know if there could be enough interest in this game among your TT buddies? RoR games are awsome, if you think you still had some friends before playing this, leave all hope behind. :D This game is excellent for a rainy day pizza/beer afternoon/evening.

Regarding PC I am an addict to both L4D2 and Natural Selection 2. NS2 being specially attractive due to its combination of RTS (leading other players, not AI) and FPS.

I also have my eye on the upcoming Star Citizen from Chris roberts (Wing Commander, Privateer, Freelancer) and I am now undusting my Joystick...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gZES2pTWk[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  13. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    My wife and I get in a bit of gaming. There are more games on the shelf than we can get regular use out of though :( Currently in the rotation are; Risk Legacy, Neuroshima Hex, Dixit, King of Tokyo and BB Team Manager. In the hopper for the holidays are Tooth & Nail, Omen (both by Small Box Games), Battles of Westeros, Twilight Struggle , Ticket to ride and Memoir 44.

Sad to say my time spent gaming has taken a decline since I moved to nova scotia a few years ago, but plenty of good times are had whenever I go home on vacation.

14. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    ROFL! Love it! :D

15. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I also used to be a GW groupie - WFB (Skaven, Undead), 40k (Eldar), Necromunda (Orlock was it?) and I've played quite a lot of different rpgs over the years (Star Wars, Warhammer, D&D 3rd, Drakar och Demoner, LOT5R...) I also helped to write a commerical rpg (Gemini) but it didn;t get very good reviews.

Now very occasionally I convince friends to play games like Settlers of Cataan but we're talking a couple of times a year at most since none of my Candian friends are in any way gamers. Did join a boardgame group but my first kid was born the same day the first session was scheduled which was prophetic.

PC wise I played a bit of WoW but got bored with the grinding soon after hitting the level cap and played SC 2 for about a year but was never much good (diamond Zerg was my peak). Now I mostly enjoy single player rpgs and strategy games. Looking forward to Wasteland, Project Eternity and the new Elite game.

RPGs are still where my hears is so hg, if a skype game was starting up I;d be interested though it would likely mean dropping a blood bowl league.

Pen and Paper

16. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    @Viajero, we are playing Game of Thrones on Dec. 15. It should also be a bit of a backstabber as far as I know. If you have the time it would be cool. Then talk about Republic of Rome and then we can lure them in;) Must be in the spirit of the game:powdodge:

PnP Roleplay I only think that one system is still cool and that is Earthdawn - I would love to see that as a PC game.

Kingdom Death could be fun to play during a weekend. I get it all with all expansions and all the pinups - I could not resist them, they look so beautiful:) It is cheap to fly to or from London or Manchester:powdodge:

17. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Let me know how that game plays out - since we like the backstabbing here i'd be interested to hear if this holds up to Spartacus levels of chicanery

18. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Travelscrabble - Diamond in SC2 was really really good - top 15% of all players, most of whom are kids with superconducter reflexes who play 24-7. Don't believe the negative bullshit you get in the forums.

My creaking 35-year-old synapses got me to plat playing mech terran only, and I was really happy with that.

19. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I probably play too many games, which is why my research suffers :( .

Atm Blood Bowl is the only game I invest any considerable amount of time in.

I played Xcom, and got the recent expansion, but lost interest in it after one playthrough - yeah, it's kinda cool, but not cool enough to re-play after beating it. I already beat the base game on Impossible.

I used to play WoW back during Wrath and Cataclysm. Was a raid leader for over a year, and we had a really nice group of people, but when Pandas came out I bowed out to focus on completing my thesis. I had to quit wow to get work done, but raids were fun, probably because I liked the people I raided with.

Also used to play Civ, but never got Brave New World. Did play the "vanilla" Civ 5 quite a bit a while ago.

I like the Heroes of Might and Magic series, but stopped at 5.

Master of Orion 2 is probably my favorite space strategy game - that one is ooooold. I liked the original Sins of a Solar Empire. Gal Civ was well made, but I didn't really like the space combat - too rock-paper-scissors, not enough intricate ship design like MOO2 offered.

I do get together with a group of coworkers to play board games every other week - we play just about anything, although we stay away from Twilight Imperium, as it takes more time than we have (usually 2-4 hours, depending on how many people come and how energetic we are, as it is Friday night). I really like that game, but was only able to play through it once. We do play Arkham Horror a fair bit, as well as other misc stuff (Puerto Rico, for instance, if we only get 4 or 5 to show up).

I like Paradox games. Crusader Kings 2 was fun. Hearts of Iron 2 was fun. Hearts of Iron 3 was too annoying and I gave up on it. Europa Universalis 3 was fun. Have not touched EU4 yet - not enough time to get into that quagmire. Never touched Victoria either, though one of my friends swears by it.

I actually like chess - must be a Russian thing. I am not particularly great at it, and there is almost never anyone who wants to play, but I do enjoy a game if I can find one.

I am sure there is other stuff I am forgetting - this should be a representative sample, though.

20. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the boost Everblue. The SC 2 community was hyper competitive and negative, it was one of the things that made me drift away and part of why I found blood bowl so refreshing.