1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other games I play

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Netsmurf, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    You need to check Star Citizen by Chris Roberts then... (Wind Commander, Freelancer).

You ll be blow away and it is still only in development!

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
  3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I don't play many games these days outside of BB, as I just don't have the time for it due to family, work, etc. I have been playing some xcom recently though and enjoy that from time to time. I did play some SC2 for a while, but never got beyond Silver Protoss. I like the game, but much prefer a turn based format to rts, where the speed you do things is more important than the actual strategies and tactics employed (in the lower tiers at least).

@akirilus I can give you a game of chess sometime. I used to play a lot over the board in tournaments and team leagues in different countries for a number of years. Nowadays I only play some 5 minute games online every now and again, but I still enjoy it when I do.

4. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Computer game wise my tastes run to pretty much exclusively strategy with a smidgeon of RPG.

I started out with the LOTR mmo when it was launched up to the first expansion and to this day it is still the most fun i've had playing a PC game. I dabbled with WoW for a year or so as its what my RL friends played but also played a few others that were launched in including WAR and GW2.

My steam account is mostly games like Civ, XCOM, CK2, Total War games etc but my second highest game time to BB are the football manager games. I've played football management games right through from Premier Manager 3, through the Championship Manager era and on to Football Manager after the split. Its fair to say I love them :)

Most looking forward to whatever Sega has cooking with the Warhammer franchise and high on my wishlist is EU4.

5. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'm guessing hobbit minstrel (or hobbit burglar) as your main?

6. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    No my main was an elf loremaster - until the point I quit I was the second highest ranked loremaster in PvP and part of one of the first kinships to take down the Balrog on our server. My second level 50 was a hobbit minstrel though ;)

7. XanderV

XanderV Member

Country Flag:
    I'm an ex-WoW semi-hardcore progression guild leader. God I'm glad that part of my life is over. Talk about having a second job but getting zero money from it. Only stress.

I backed Zombicide S1 and 2 (just got 2 last week! Sooo...many...minis...to paint...)and also backed Myth (can't wait to play that one) as well as Kaosball. Felt KB would be a good compromise to play with my gaming group, which despises BB.

8. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Seriously, I hear you. My guild (actually, it wasn't technically "my" guild, just my group of raiders) was semi as well, we raided 2x a week every week for progression, and 2 out of 3 weeks (on average) had a 3rd raid for either farming old content, gear farming, or more progression training. That's 10 hours a week of just raid time, not to mention a lot of prep work and the occasional "political obligations", and we are easily talking 15-20 hours a week with zero pay and a bunch of responsibility, and that's just to keep the raid group working smoothly, forget dicking around in game for fun.

9. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
  10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You a supporter too? Did I lure you in, or did you find it on your own?

-

As for other games.. I've played many in the past, but not so much now.

Some Europa Universalis IV on the computer (also some X-Com and Shadowrun. And Nethergate:Resurrection and Civilization V)

Some Twilight Struggle, Smallworld, Deadwood Studios and Primordial Soup on the boardgame.

(And plenty that get less time, both on computer, phone and table)

11. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I cant say, at that time I just pledged to any game looking like a space exploration game. I have stopped kickstarter as I simply spent to much money. I just pledge for expansions for games I already have now, though I almost did back Shadow of Brimstone:p

12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yes, Kickstarter is an expensive pleasure. :eek:

13. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    But... I have a 12 kilo box of goodies in transit towards my house for delivery today and that makes the expense less of a blow. I will say though that I get a percentage of my christmas/birthday gifts from my family put aside for me to spend on Kickstarters so I use that to front a good percentage of any pledges I make and keep my overall backing down to a max of 1-2 'big' kickstarters in a year as a maximum.

14. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:

Excellent! A fellow chess player! I'd love a game sometime - although I will probably lose horribly, as it has been at least 3 years since I've last played. But I remember the rules! :)

15. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I got the Designer Edition OGRE last month.

That was a big box..fills half a couch (sofa) while still in the box.

16. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Just found one of the good old games yesterday - ROBO RALLY, damn that is still a very funny game.:D

17. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I recently just started playing Kings Bounty: Crossworlds. Imagine Heroes of Might and Magic, but no income/resources and only a single army to manage. That said, even Normal isnt exactly easy, and there is still 2 more difficulties. Im liking it to the point where im considering getting Warriors of the North version next.

18. Capt Charisma

Capt Charisma Member

Country Flag:
    PS3 - Pro Yakuu Spirits (Japanese Baseball) and NFL Head Coach

3DS - Layton and Animal Crossing New Leaf.

I might get GTA5 at some point as I liked GTA San Andreas.

19. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I picked up Guacamelee over the holidays. That is a very very fun game. It is a upgrade/ location unlock game similar to Metroid. But it's set in a Day of the Dead/ Luchador stylised world. Just fantastic.

20. Merihim

Merihim Member

Cyanide Username:
    Merihim
    Country Flag:
    Oh lets see, lets see.

Just moved to Guelph so Table top is out of the Question. Though I used to play a lot of Risk and Axis Vs Allies with friends over beer and chips and such. Been playing Risk since I was very young, but there wasn't really ever a "scene" in my city for actual Table Top or Pen and Paper RPGs.

I did (do?) play Warhammer Fantasy and 40k as Skaven and Tyranids respectively, with a bit of Imperial and Lizardmen for set up. I prefer to paint and assemble and mod the models as opposed to playing the game now a days. I have a little Diorama of Homemade Terrain and A Tyranid swarm attacking an imperial bunker. I prefer the artsy aspect to it.

Like most people I played WoW and I never really got into Raiding. I led quite a few for my Guild in Burning Crusade but never particularly enjoyed it. I spent most of my time In Arenas and Battlegrounds and from time to time I miss my rogue, but the game has degraded so much from what it once was. Used to be on Ursin as a tight knit group where everyone knew everyone (including the enemy) and the game was a friendly place, built on rivalries and competition. With the ever increasing anonymity through Battlegroups, and Dungeon groups and even Raid groups now, it's just a bunch of Dickery and Min Maxers and trolls.

For PC (and Xbox) I play quite a bit of Skyrim Role-playing my way through it, and whenever I die I delete the Character and start over. Recently got the Witcher 2 and I've put some time into it, and enjoy it. Xcom both EU and EW; and enjoy it, despite being bad at it (or just nuffled) can't seem to make it very far and the one time I got a strong foothold, and was headed into a great late-game I got a Satelite/Abduction glitch which made that save unplayable.) I also customize all my characters and find that they have their own personalities (like Snipers with 80+ Offense who almost never hit or Rookies with 55 who hit every shot) leaving out the min-maxing sometimes makes it more interesting for me.

I also play quite a bit of Dota 2 with the Girlfriend when we have time, Civ 5 is a favourite though its a week (month) long endeavor sometimes. SC2 gives me neural melt-downs as playing Master League (Grandmaster for a month!) literally burns all my synapse to play it and I'm left looking like a freshly awaken coma patient after more than 2 hours of it and as such I no longer play it. Path Of Exile and Diablo III on and off, but mostly I've been playing Bloodbowl recently. :)

And I still return to my beloved The Secret of Evermore for the NES time and time again, as well as Final Fantasy 9 for the Ps1.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014