1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Netsmurf, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Since so many of us play this game why not make a thread about it. I will try to keep spoilers in spoiler tags, but forgive me if I forget it:powdodge:

Overall I find that the start of the game is great, I get the same feel as I remember from the good old days when playing Baldurs gate and some of the other RPG´s. Though this is much better looking and with more interaction to the surroundings. The fights have to be carefully chosen and remember to save often:D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    What are some positives/negatives? I know I'll be buying the game eventually anyway, but I'm curious.

Where's a good video to watch to get the general feel of the game in a few minutes?

Are there standard fantasy races/classes, or does it deviate from the norm?

3. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Classes are pretty much your standard classes. Im still working out how to set the combat settings to my likings, there is a lot of options and I have not found the one that I like yet.

So far I have managed to get rid of the crashes by freeing some RAM for the game. Still have a little issue with the sound, but it is much better than before. I run on 32 bit Win 7.

Pros. It is a huge world and with lots of side stories/events that you can dwell on.

Cons. Damn this shit is harder than I remebered:p Once I figure out the right combat settings I think that Im all good and positive about the game. I really like that some of the stuff from the kickstarter is implemented.

Im all for this game so far:D

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I really like a lot of the tweaks they've made to classic BG gameplay. For example, you don't get experience for just killing enemies only for killing enemies you've not encountered much before. That means there's no disincentive to try to find clever ways to avoid fights through sneaking etc...

They've basically divided hitpoints in two, endurance regens immediately when a fight is over whereas health damage carries over from fight to fight. Most damage and healing affects endurance with only a small portion carrying over to health If a character loses all their endurance points they are out of the fight and if your whole party does its a wipe. What this means is that you can have a tough fight where you almost die but you don't necessarily need to rest. You only need to rest when you're low on health, which happens less often (or when you're fatigued after travelling a lot which is also a nice touch).

Reputations are more flexible varying from place to place and faction to faction and being determined by your actions and covnersation choices. There;s some neat new classes and ability ideas too but like Net I'm still getting to grips with combat.

I agree thumbs up so far. Seems a rich detailed world both in terms of mechanics and plot.

5. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    To expand a bit on what Netsmurf was talking about with attributes and combat etc.

Basicly all classes use, to one degree or another, all attributes (Might, Constitution, Dexterity, Perception, Intelligence, Resolve). So dumping a stat or two compleatly, anyone of them for basicly any class, is not really a good idea in this game when it comes to combat.

So dumping Might is bad for everyone because you do less damage with everything... and yes, that includes magic users (I do asume this also means how powerful heals are). Low Intelligence is also bad, since it lowers all your characters AOE size, and effects for anything does not last as long. And this does include pure melee characters (although, for the Fighter I built he does not really relie on Int at all... so far). Low Dextarity and it will take your character forever to do every single action they do in combat.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Because all attributes tend to effect atleast 3 different aspects of combat... and most classes do to one degree or another use, or are effected by, all of those aspects in one way or another. So you can't just dump a stat or two and think that it won't matter, like in most other RPG's out there. In my mind, anything lower then 10 is not desirable at all.

What I put in stats for my first (and only) character, a Fighter, is 16 on 1 attribute (Might), 14 on 3 of them (Constitution, Perception, Resolve), and 10 on 2 of them (Dexterity, and Intelligence).

Granted, I did miss that Dexterity effected action speed when I put him together, and Dexterity is usually an attribute I do tend to put points into in most RPG's. So if I had noticed that when I made him, then my 16 might have turned into a 14, and one of the 10's into a 12. Not sure if Dex would have goten the 12 or one of the 14's instead though. Int would have stayed at a 10 though.

One other build I have considered is where I put 14 on 5 of them, and one is at an 8... but I do not really like to have an attribute lower then 10, since 10 is the amount where you have an effect of a +-0... lower then 10 and you start getting minus in the various things. For the kinds of melee warriors I tend to build I think Int would in this case be the one that got the 8... all other classes would probably get the 8 on Constitution. Heck I have even considered giving melee warriors the 8 on Constitution (due to that it does not really come into play as much outside of combat, from what the game tells you when you read about Constitution), but I guess that could be a bad idea for combat if your a melee warrior. XD

But yeah... unless I run into some serious problems with my current character, I don't think I will start over just yet.

Here below is a image, that I put together for another page, of my character after having spent 15 hours playing (according to the save at the time atleast, usually the time games tell me I have playes is not accurate, and it can actually be as high as 50-100% more then what it claims). Currently I am 22 hours in (according to the game), with about 2200 more exp, and some better equipment, and a 5th companion).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  6. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    "Meadow Folk"?

7. Smakapotomus

Smakapotomus Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Smakapotomus
    Country Flag:
    I'm totally intrigued with the game. However, I am still playing through Divinity: Original Sin so I'll wait a while for the price to drop and some bugs to be repaired then I'll give it a dive.

8. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I love how your characters got several pints of beer with him, as that's surely the most important item in any adventurers inventory! lol

Meadow folk is the place hes from all races have back grounds which provide a minor buff of some kind.

I think the mechanics are interesting without a doubt Wizards wearing armour being a unusual and bold choice though it seems to work being as it reduces your action speed at the same time. I've barely touched the game though I'm going to play some more shortly but it seems like there's a lot going on in the world and its going to be a good deal of fun exploring.

9. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Yes... It's one of the subraces of Human.

There are 5 races, and then a 6th one which is "special". The race choice will give certain pluses, and possibly minuses, to attributes. Then each race has 2-4 subraces that you choice after the race it's self. The subraces do look different from each other in various ways. Also the choice of subrace will give you a unique ability (from what I can see all of them are passive), for some reason though the 3 human subraces all get the same ability. These choices can have an effect in the game once you start playing (how much I do not know though).

Human subraces:
    ¤ Meadow Folk
    ¤ Ocean Folk
    ¤ Savannah Folk

Aumaua subraces (the big and strong race of the game):
    ¤ Coastal Aumaua
    ¤ Island Aumaua

Dwarven subraces:
    ¤ Mountain Dwarf
    ¤ Boreal Dwarf

Elven subraces:
    ¤ Wood Elf
    ¤ Pale Elf

Orlan subraces (the very small and very perceptive race of the game):
    ¤ Hearth Orlan
    ¤ Wild Orlan

Godlike "subraces" (befor birth a god has blessed/cursed them, depending on how you see it):
    ¤ Death Godlike
    ¤ Fire Godlike
    ¤ Moon Godlike
    ¤ NatureG odlike
    --- After the subrace choice for Godlike you then pick what bodytype they have (Human, Aumaua, Dwarf, Elf or Orlan).

There are also 2 other "fluff" types of choices that you make later in the character creation. Although they are not just fluff, they do also effect your character in numerous ways as well... even once you have started to play they can have some effect on the game (to what degree I do not know though).

One of them is the "Culture" your character grew up in (in the image, in my previous post, it's the first part writen at "Background"). There are 7 of those. The effect from this choice gives a +1 to one of your attributes. And also the choice of Culture, plus your Class, determins what body armor and weapon/weapons, and possibly a shield as well, that you have at the start of the game.

The other one is "Background" (this is the second part writen at "Background" in my image). There are 17 of those, which background your able to pick though is determined by which Culture you picked. This one gives you either a +1 on two skills, or a +2 on one skill. Then once you start playing you narrow down your Background a little bit more by picking one out of 3 or 4 different answers to a question you get at the start of the game. Not sure if this part has any effect on the game later on at all though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  10. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    That is one thing I have always found really strange with a lot of rollplaying games. Ridiculous even.

That wearing armour somehow would make magic less effective, or not work at all or something (not sure exacly how it is in for example DnD).

Like in the first Swedish pnp rpg series, Drakar och Demoner, where if a magic user has physical contact with iron, or is carrying more then 0.5kg (~1.1 pounds) of iron... he/she is compleatly unable to cast any spells at all. All weapons magic users use in DoD has to be of other material due to that... like Bronze for example.

So, the fact that in PoE your magic users can actually wear normal armour is awesome, and as it should be in my opinion.

Not that I would start playing a magic user because of that though... I still think playing a character who uses magic is one of the most boring thing there is in games. I don't mind having them in my team... but "my" character will almost never be one. No give me a heavily armoured (none magic using) warrior, with a sword and a shield... any day of the week. That is where I find my fun in fantasy games.

11. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    My current character is a Pale Elf, and my surroundings react to that, with surprise to see me so far away from my homeland and some comment on that - so I does seem to matter what you are:powdodge:

12. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah. My choice in race, and probably subrace mostly, has probably not made all to much of a difference that I notice... since I think where the game takes place (or atleast up untill where I am) might be an area where Meadow Folks is a majority.

But it is nice to hear that it actually can, and does, make some difference atleast. And even if that difference might only be at the surface, it's still nice to see. But hopefully it will also make a more significant difference at some point or another, where it matters what race and/or subrace you are... we will see.

I do asume to one degree or another that the Godlike might be the ones who will have the most noticable reactions in the game... especially when talking to the NPC's. I have seen one place so far though where being a Godlike might make a difference... what kind I do not know. During that first dungeon you do shortly after starting the game. It was actually a part of that dungeon that I somehow managed to miss, and only realized I missed it after I saw a Twitch streamer play the start of the game a few days ago. I think I know why I missed it, but I can not be certain (did not have a torch equipt on anyone... did have some in a characters inventory though... maybe the character who interacted with the things did not have torches in his inventory).

13. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'm playins as a moon godlike and it hasn't had any huge impact so far

14. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Have you guys found a sell all funtion? When trying to depart with surplus items from the stash:confused:

15. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    No, the stash system is a questionable design system in general

16. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    And after installing the new patch I cant launch the game:confused:

EDIT: Took more than 20 mins to install, but now its running again

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  17. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Now done with act 1, and have to venture down to level 7 of the dungeon:D

18. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I think the Stronghold will screw me over... just based on what kind of a gamer I am, and how I play games.

The income you get from the Stronghold (Taxes and companions doing Stronghold adventures/quests) are based on you doing quests... where as the salery you have to pay for hirelings is based on the progression of ingame time (which does include sleeping and traveling between areas).

So since I tend to be the kind of player who take my time, sneak everywhere (just in case there are enemies, or items to be found), check out every single piece of area in every single location, tend to do a lot of timeconsuming detours, wait around observing enemies patrol patern if they have one, etc etc etc... means that I will be paying for my hirelings at the stronghold more often then how often I get money from taxes or unused companions stronghold quests.

So far I have goten one income from the Stronghold... got about 125 coppers, but only 25 of those actually made it's way to me, since the rest was stolen by bandits. But since I have had to pay salery for my hirelings 3-4 times already... and I think it was 400 copper each time.

Seems like I will have to basicly stop doing anything with the Stronghold, and fire all of my hirelings. Because otherwise I might just hamper my self to much with never having any copper on me. It pains me though to possibly have to do that... since I never like to leave things behind me undone.

I think the Stronghold will probably be allright for "normal people" or people who play compleatly opposit to me... since they will be finishing a lot more quests in the time that I do. But even there I am not compleatly certain that it will not be a money spunge for them as well.

19. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I also find money isn't really an issue in this game, just loot everything and sell everything

20. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Im almost done with all upgrades to the stronghold and I still have over 50k in the bank. Just finished with second act and now I face a dilema that I dont like any of the solutions to. Will see if I can make it a Tri-lema - but have little hopes that I get to do that.