1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Netsmurf, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Trust me... I am... it's a thing I do, religiously, in all games. XD

Does not matter what kind of game it is really. I never leave anything behind if I can help it. I will even go out of my way to bring back items with a value of 0, not to mention that I will run multiple times back and forth between the location and ones "home" or a store to make sure I got everything (this of course being not needed with Pillars though, since I am playing it with the setting of unlimited loot space). The only reason I would not bring items back with me is if I somehow missed them, or is at the time unable to get to them, or if it is impossible to come back to a location later on. And in those cases I will make sure I bring the stuff I really want on top of the stuff that has the best sell price vs weight and/or slots. I have even been known to create Excel sheets for things like this... so I can quickly check what items I should bring back with me. XD

Anway... even though that I still feel like I am constantly out of money in Pillars. So far, as I mentioned, I think it is because I take so much time on doing everything. Maybe it will be better once I max the Stronghold... or I have just not hit the areas yet where you earn huge amounts of money. I guess I will have to wait and see.

2. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Just got this game a week before going on my business trip, really looking forward to spending more time with it when my schedule calms down (probably over the weekend and next week).

I like the system, although I am still trying to figure out what optimal class combinations are.

You absolutely have to min/max in order to do well in combat on hard difficulty and above, and even medium is not necessarily a walk in the park. That means your tank should dump intelligence to the min, for instance, because a lack of AoE won't phase him/her much. Might is pretty much the only stat I would hesitate dumping, because the difference between doing 1.3x base damage vs 0.7x base damage is remarkable, especially where it comes to penetrating damage reduction. Unless it's on a character that will never swing anything.

I do like the fact that combat is not always mandatory - that's a nice touch.

The story seems pretty decent so far, albeit all I managed to do was get out of the starting dungeon and talk to the dwarf animancer.

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Story is actually really compelling once it gets going. I'm playing on medium and figured I'd found my stride, hadn't had a party wipe for a good long time, then I started act 3 and walked into an ogre cave full of ogres and ogre shamans and my 5 man party got its butt kicked 3 times!

4. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I must say the fact that its suggested u min/max to a new extreme is the only part of the game I dislike, with it being recommended u drop ur 2 drop statistics down to 3 and then pump everything into the remaining. However the thing I love about the game is the sound effects and scripting, its little bits where they have really paid attention to detail that makes the game so immersing.

5. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Must confess that I now remember why I did not play Baldurs Gate to the end. It just goes on forever, just with a little harder monsters to fight. I have run out of joy and will most likely shelf it for a while:powdodge:

6. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Just finished a first playthrough, I actually felt it could have gone on a bit longer (end-game missions aren't that combat focused) and I really liked how the endings played out.