1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on new competition format for BBT (BB2)

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by Ilgoth, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Heya coaches,

I have been planning on creating a new competition for our community (in BB2). Right now we have ...
    # Big Crunch 2 (long term dedication, many seasons. minimum time 9 weeks)
    # Munch Cup (shorter than BC2, but I think. minimum time 5weeks + x) @mamutas pls inform

The way I see it, we are lacking our own short time span competition. I think we all here have pretty long nerves (lol we actually play blood bowl), so some might see Munch Cup short. But to be honest it is still medium regarding time.

We have our waiting lists for all seasons with our big leagues, and while some coaches have no problem waiting - there are those who do. In the end, we need engagement here to keep the newcomers who happen to show up around MD1 of BC2, just to find out its gonna be two months until they have chance to join the fun.

Munch Cup does service here, but it still takes dedication. Granted we have guys who play COL, BC2 and MC (I am like that). Some go further, have a season in another community league, but we have our limits and there can be only that many big leagues in your weekly schedule.

What I have been thinking is a very light-minded tournament which I would start hosting. To make it simple:
    # Knockout -format
    # 8 players
    # Rookie teams
    # No Kick-off events

With 8 players, it would last 3 weeks if we approach it with 'match per week' -pace. This doesn't seem too much to me, and something like this would be pretty decent fun. To be honest, I think this could be flexible since after first week - only 4 teams left and there must be moments when scheduling happens faster.

(Now I see that some races would be stronger than others in this format, I got couple of foolish ideas in my sickened storage space of my brain. :skull:)

These are the basics, and now I am asking all of you - would you be interested in this kind of tournament? :confused::D:eek:

williamspd and Orielensis like this.
  2. notorious noob

notorious noob Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I would be thinking along the lines of a 1 day event (2 to 3 days works as well) straight knock out. Every once in a while, rules adjustable to your liking.

Ilgoth likes this.
  3. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    Can you actually switch off kick-off events?

Edit: I wouldn't have time for another tourney, between BC2 and Champ ladder I play plenty already.

Ilgoth likes this.
  4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'd be interested in this kind of thing for sure, particularly in BC off season/OFL off season. Good idea! However, more than one game a week would be asking a lot so I'm in favour of the match per week format. No harm in doing both of course.

Ilgoth likes this.
  5. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    I'd probably be up for it. Only concern would be the proposed format imo really limits the potential teams to play to have a shot at winning with a rookie team.
    There is an option to disable kick off events so that's not a problem. But if you are trying to reduce randomness, playing eg the obvious example Nurgle, with no skills, you are going to be very reliant on rolling good dice.

Ilgoth likes this.
  6. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yeah since it is such a short comp, the timing of it can be decently adjusted. It can take place after the big leagues have started, or towards the end of them (provide small testing ground within BBT) or like @TravelScrabble said, off-seasons.

The race question is bit of a problem, as we cant do much with those. I feel bit bad about the idea of excluding races. Though of course we could everynow and then have theme tournaments - I name the races available and people choose from those. But on a main premise, I would like to keep it open. More the options, more happy people I figure. In the end, regardless of obvious strong and weak races, people keep choosing against it due different reasons.

And I like 1-day too @notorious noob - maybe the tourney could mainly be a match per week but then sometimes hold those as well.

7. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Munch Cup round robin takes either 7 or 5 weeks + 3-4 weeks for play offs. It is usually longer as there always delays and deadline extensions.

I was thinking to introduce Nibble competition for next Munch Cup for new teams only for those who are not ready or not willing to commit to the whole Cup. The idea is not finally formed yet so I had not announced it. But it seems you are proposing something very similar to what I had in mind so I'll step aside and let you run with that. Besides, I'd rather not to add one more division for me to admin. :D

Thumbs up!

Ilgoth likes this.
  8. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking about starting something like the RPS division of death. It's basically like Big Crunch, but divisions are only 4 teams, so each season is only 3 games. If you want to play long term, your team can carry over from season to season. If you want to play more casually, you could jump in for one season and be in the bottom tier, probably with other new teams.

Or maybe I should just go over to RPS and sign up for DoD in addition to the other leagues I'm in. I'm kind of waiting for Chorfs to come out in Bb2 before signing up for any new leagues though.

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    You can take chorfs in UKBBL @Znarx (unless they're delayed I guess).

Really like the idea @Ilgoth .

I guess farming teams to a preset spp or tv allocation before starting would be too hard to organise?

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Like Ori said I think some skilled teams would be ok provided they'd only played in BBT leagues. You could take ex BC or MC teams within a preset TV limit - say max 1500 TV one season and 1800 another for example.

11. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I thought I heard that RPS has a higher fraction of US-based players than European based leagues, which would be helpful for me. Scheduling games with an 8 hour time difference gets hard sometimes.

12. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Hmmm what would be a modest range for minimum and maximum TV limits? Would like 1200-1500 bring too much variation?

13. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    It would be nice if Cyanide implemented a system where you could start with rookie teams but pick 100 TV odd of skills, like in TT. As to TV range really depends on the teams tbh. On the original proposal if they were in the game I'd take Amazons:)

14. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yes, and on top have the singleplayer league options for multiplayer...

15. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    This was kind of what I meant. You can do this by setting up a preparatory comp and arranging match ups where the two teams then farm the right number of spps to be ready to transfer into the real competition. You only need one human player.

People do it then enter the cyanide open ladder with super teams! :D

But would be an extra layer of pre organisation.

16. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    A breakdown of my current thoughts.

Tournament will be named as "The Mighty Mithril Cup". As a basis consensus, TMM Cup will be match per week fun with an exception of TMM Championships which will be 1-day tournaments for the coaches of BBTactics.

# general
    - knockout format
    - 8 coaches
    - no kick-off events
    - no stadium enhancements, stadium can be leveled 'for looks'
    # team rules
    - teams must start / have 11 players (as a base rule)
    - [ if team made its debute in The Mighty Mithril Cup, dont use it in other leagues (for future purposes) ]
    # the prize
    - a kewl trophy on BBT forums?! drawn by me

## The 1st Mighty Mithril Cup
    - will be for rookie teams only
    - starts either 15th or 22nd of February, purpose to serve fun between season 5 and 6 of Big Crunch 2

## The 2nd Mighty Mithril Cup
    - will be for teams with TV between 1250-1550 *if the set TV range is an issue, it can be revisited
    - starts in March 2017

## The 3rd Mighty Mithril Cup
    - will be for teams that have retired from Big Crunch 2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lore :rolleyes::rolleyes::
    After many years of Mithril Spike! tournament struggling with attracting viewers to the games, chairman of Bloodweiser Buddy Grafstein, introduces the fans of blood bowl The Mighty Mithril Cup. Special event that will be held periodically at the legendary Goadmalice Park, the home stadium of Oldheim Ogres. A knockout tournament of 8 teams, battling for glory and bragging rights for the Q2 of year 2505. In a recent interview, chairman Grafstein teased Cabalvision with a special rules applied to different tournaments for a maximum hype train without breaks.

:powdodge:Some interesting, cup specific rules, that I have been playing with and might be introduced some time:powdodge:
    - rookie teams only, must own 10 players, no more or less
    - in every match, team must foul twice or its eliminated (technical issue though)
    - rookie team with preset roster provided by the league admission
    - a cup with limited race choices
    and so on

My goal is to provide some little fun for us all, and that the experience is tweaked a bit everynow and then. Lets see if it gets some traction.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Regor likes this.
  17. Tack

Tack Member

Steam Username:
    Tack
    Country Flag:
    With TV, I don't think there's any point to impose a 'lower limit'. The BB2 friendly cookie-cut teams are 1600, so that seems like a good upper limit for cup #2

18. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Assuming all goes to plan once Legendary Edition is out we should be able to do this, which will be great for future tourneys!

slanesh and Orielensis like this.
  19. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yes I was very happy once I read that bit @Ravers . :)

mamutas likes this.
  20. williamspd

williamspd Active Member

Steam Username:
    williamspd
    Cyanide Username:
    Wilhelmus
    Country Flag:
    Did anything come of this? I'm still finding my way around here, discovering what comps are going on and what I might get involved in.

I like the idea of anything that helps newbies to feel engaged and to give them something to do while they wait for other leagues and cups etc. Seeing as I am a newbie ;-)