1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play of the day

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Narly Bird, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    You will all be pleased to know that the CCC has signed on John Maddmen to write his play of the day ("POTD") article for season VI of the CC.

So what we need coaches to do is to nominate a particular turn during their match where something spectacular happened. John Maddmen will then look over the nominated plays and select one for his play of the day article.

Whilst the CCV final POTD was focused on a particularly smart series of moves/blocks/positioning, to set up the score (see http://bbtactics.com/forums/crunch-cup-courier-9-a-t1110/#post17680 if you haven't read it), the CCVI POTD does not necessarily have to be along those lines and instead could be a serious of particularly brutal smack downs during a turn, or a flying player to the head of the ball carrier, or anything really.

So if you had something happen during your match that you think could be worthy of coverage, then either post here or pm me with the details - match day, coach names, the turn it occurred in and a brief summary.

2. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Don't forget to let us know if you have a turn in your MD1 match where anything awesome/weird/lucky/brutal/hilarious/game-changing happens! After all, what could be better than being featured in the Crunch Cup Courier? Actually don't think too hard about that one...

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, if nobody comes up with anything, I can suggest the first two turns of my and Strobinators match, just because it did a lot to decide the game.

My third block on the los was 2 skulls, rr, 2 skulls, and my Mv 7 Guard wight takes himself out of the rest of the game against a zombie. (Injury, cas, bh, no regen)

Then I get a new lease on the game when Strobinators third block also skulls out (but Cytokine Storm isn't even stunned)

I start moving up as good as possible but am somewhat disorganized in the face of Strobinators counter-advance before he started rolling blocks in his turn one.

Then his turn Strobinators finishing move after having marked my ghoul is to dodge loose a skeleton and blitz, pow and stun my poor ballcarrier..

Well, after that I was sort of in "dire straits" :D

(Although I'd probably have lost anyway - but it felt like a very defining part of the game :p)

4. Hoverdog

Hoverdog Active Member

Country Flag:
    Not a play, but rather an antiplay of day, was the work of Hernan Cortes, my saurus. First block of the second half - :skull::skull: reroll :bothdown::bothdown: and the stupid lizard goes badly hurt, not even scratching the opposing beastman. That action cost me the win.
    My kroxigor went stupid for four turns straight, but it's far from the damage Hernan made.

5. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    There were a few highlights from The Green Nationals game versus DDRX.

My opening drive in the second half where my Black Orc kills Ghandi and one of my blitzers Seriously injures another lineman.

Turn 12 when Wardancer starts living up to Dance Dance Revolution X team name dodging and jumping through a number of tackle zones to sack the ball carrier. I think a similar (if not more spectacular play) occurred on turn 14 but the Wardancer only managed a :pushback:.

Another 'highlight' was mistakingly moving my Blitzer into the Tackle zone of lineman and then dodging out on turn 15, before forming a tight cage ...:rolleyes:. And then on Turn 16, rolling :skull::bothdown: before rerolling :pushback::powdodge: with a Black Orc Badly Hurting a lineman before scoring a typical prop forward flop over the TD line. It was hearts in mouth stuff!!

Just to add to this that Ghandi also got the MVP for DDRX!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sounds like some nice plays and its just a shame that we can only choose 1 to cover. It will be hard deciding which one!

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'll try to come up with something better than just a "quad skull injury and skeleton dodge + pow" 'til next issue ;)

8. Avatar111x

Country Flag:
    Not wishing to blow my own trumpet, but that turn 12 was awesome

9. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Blow away son, blow away! ;)

10. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:

Yeah, just make sure you dont break your back. :p

11. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    Since we're doing this, I'll have to suggest two moments:

1) The first turn blitz made by Moguai in our game, where his Wolf ended up getting BH after a :bothdown:/:bothdown: RR: :bothdown:/:bothdown: against my Skaven Thrower.
    2) The Turn 12/13 play I made, where I managed to make two wacky and silly plays work out in a combination play. Basically, I used all 9 squares of movement, and then a GFI/Pick-up to GFI/Dodge/Long Pass which failed at the catch. Then the next turn, I used 8MV; Pick-up; dodge; GFI to score.

12. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys and be sure to keep them coming. We only do a POTD every 2nd week in the full edition of the CCC, so please don't think i am ignoring you.

As the last 2 POTD have been quite educational, i thought i might run with a couple of whacky hero-plays (perhaps covering a hero play from several matches) for the next one.

Submission date is Monday, so you have until then to post any further suggestions (or if you are shy :eek: then just pm me).

13. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    I'll be sure to try some of these in my match against FTJUK's orcs. Go Go Goblins! :D

14. Avatar111x

Country Flag:
    Might I put forwards the Dance Dance Revolution 2nd score against Let There Be Blight? Happened at the end of the first half and saw a wizard fireball break the cage, and elf pick up and cage - ending with a last turn long pass to a catcher escaping his marker in the end zone

15. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    My nurgles very first turn against Strbinator! 1 Si on a mummy, 1 zombie KO´ed and the last mummy fouled out to the KO box:D

16. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Both my Rotter TDs in Matchday 2 against Moguai was rather unlikely to succeed heroplays, so if you're looking for success-by-luck-rather-than-skill plays they might be worth looking at :p

17. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    The whole sequence of events leading to my gobbo TD in the match against FTJUK's orcs was pretty funky. It included accurate inaccurate bomb throwing (with the bomb stranded back to its original destination), charging trolls, goblins trying to fight black orcs, a myriad of failed Catch rolls, and desparate stunty throwing the ball outside of everyone's reach, with some classic goblin hero play in between.

There was also this funny event when my Fanatic blocked my Troll and came up with :pow::pow: re-rolled into :skull::bothdown: . Where are the pushes when You need them? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  18. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I had a nice/lucky turn 11 against Melnibone. He had the ball down my right hand side with my defensive line looking a bit thin and a lot of my players tied up including all the AG3 players, so I took a chance and threw some 1d blocks. A Lineman took Nekbrekerekh down with :pow: and stunned him after a Gutter dodged out to assist. That let my Horns/Wrestle Gutter blitz the Wolf ball carrier, where he rolled :pow: and stunned him too. The same Gutter dodged out of a TZ to pick the ball up, then another 1d block on a Zombie with a Stormvermin freed up a third Gutter to mark up the other Wolf to stop a free blitz straight away which meant he'd have to use a dodge if he wanted to blitz my carrier next turn.

It was a pretty important turn as it let me go 2-0 up a couple of turns later, but if the early block dice had failed me I'd have been in bad shape!

19. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    I'd like to nominate my turn 6 against Slyspy in MD3.

I fireballed a 3 corner cage near my endzone taking out 3 including the ball carrier, picked up and threw a 4+ pass (needing a reroll), made a succesful 3+ catch, 3+ handoff and had the ball safe within scoring range.

20. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    That was a good move, as I said at the time, but I can't help but feel that a move needs to end in some kind of "full stop" event in order to be truly impressive.