1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwarf Playing against Amazon

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Rav3n73, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Hi All,

Me and my cousin have brough a load of teams and are playing two leagues each containing 5 teams.

I'm a complete novice and my cousin has loads of games under his belt via the PC.

He won our first match 2-0 Norse Vs Humans (I was Humans).

Our next match will be between my Dwarfs and his Amazons. Can anyone give me any advice on how to set up from kick off and any general tactics.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lee

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    First up, welcome to the forum!

Amazon's big advantage early on id that all their players have Dodge. Being Dwarfs with lots of Tackle you should be able to negate that fairly easily.

Your armour is also a lot higher so get stuck in and try to hurt them.

When you say you want help for setting up for kick off, do you mean when you are kicking or receiving? The latter somewhat depends on how the opposition have set up.

3. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    There aren't any big guys in my league at the moment so I've decided not to take any troll slayers.

Knowing that the Amazon's have a large number of dodging players, I've decided to take the following.

2x Runners. I've found that they have the best chance of actually picking up the ball.

9x Blockers, with there tackle skill they should be able to counter the dodge skills.

I've also got 4 re rolls.

My tactic is as follows.

Hopefully I'll kick off to them. I'll set up my dwarfs as follows

Two blockers on each wide side and 5 in the scrummage line. My runners will hang back to pick up any players that squeeze through my inital defense line.

Nowing that my dwarfs are not very fast, I'll try to take out his movement advantage by targeting his thrower and Catchers when the oppertunity arises.

My main thinking is try to stop him from scoring during the first half and try to take out as many of his players.

Hopefully when the second half comes I should have the numerical superiority.

4. Marlow

Marlow Member

But Frenzy is so good. Push the Amazons off the pitch with your Blitz!

No Blitzers either? They have AG 3 so can handle the ball if the runner gets injured. Amazons may not be able to dodge your Blockers but they will outrun there puny four movement.

I would take -
    5 Blockers 350k
    2 Runners 160k
    2 Blitzers 160k
    2 Slayers 180k
    3 Re-Rolls 150k
    Exactly one million gold.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  5. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    I think you're probably right, I spoke to my cousin last night and he has brought a Yehti, 2 xBull Centaur's, a troll and an Ogre. He's obviously planning on including big guys in his teams at some point so the Troll Slayers will be nessecary at some point.

I'll take your recommendations and let you know how the match went last night.

I think I need to up my game when it comes to blocking so I can max out my assists.

6. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Match Report

So my dwarfs had their first outing yeterday against the Amazons.

Unfortunately we lost 1-0. It was a close game, they won the coin toss and elected to recieve. We managed to keep them at bay for most of the half. Through some very lucky rolls, they managed to keep most of their player on until the last couple of turns.

The half was pretty much going to plan until about turn 6 when my dwarfs began to get stretched and the MA disadvantage started to show.

With only 3 turns left I started having dwarfs that were too far up the field to actually be effective in the defense and so they started to foul any Amazon players we came across, during the next 3 turns we manged to remove 3 of their players (They will miss the next game).

On the last turn of the half the Amazons manged to sneak into the end zone for that vital touch down.

Second half, I got my Dwarfs to cage up and painfully slowly move up the field. I think this is where I lost the game. I played way to causiously, I had a 9 man cage moving up the field only moving one space at a time.

With only two turns left it was obvious I wasn't going to make it in time, so I threw the ball to a blitzer for the pass completion SPP's and broke formation.

In the ensuing melee that lasted for the last two rounds, Amazon bodies were being teared a sunder. At any one time nearly half of them were on the floor prone. I managed to remove another Amazon to the injured box with a 63.

So in hindsight, I should have been more aggresive and taken it to the Amazon's earlier on and just kept a five man cage.

Still, I guess the main thing is that I learned not to be overly cautious with my dwarfs. My cousin also demonstrated how to slow a cage down and I actually finished the game with a higher TL than the amazon's even though I lost.

In a couple of weeks time, I'm playing Orcs against the amazons, so I'm guessing It'll be pretty much more of the same, except I'll be a bit more experienced and he'll have four journey men in his side (One of which will be replacing a catcher).

I gave my MVP SPP's to my blocker who removed an amazon via a block, this gave him 7 SPP's and so I brought Guard for him.

Lee

7. Marlow

Marlow Member

The slow grind can be difficult. A nine man cage sounds a little over the top. You want to get as many blocks in on the Amazons each turn as you can.

A lot of slow teams go for the 2-1 win. You let the opponent score quickly and then have five-six turns of their half to score. In the second half you have a slow cage that takes eight turns to score giving them very little time to equalise.

First half you should probably have been fouling every turn with a Blocker who had at least one assist just to get rid of Amazon players. I usually do this every turn of the first half until the fouler gets sent off. Sometime you are unlucky at it is the first hit, often it will not be until turn six or later. A couple of KO's or a single casualty on a skilled player makes it very worthwhile.

8. Coach

Country Flag:
    A 9 man cage sounds really bad as well, you shouldn't do that it takes too many of your players and isn't really any more effective.

Read the cage basics article again for a refresher.

9. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Hi All,

The next opponents for my Dwarf team are a vanilla Elf Team.

I believe their starting line up is: -

Thrower x 2
    Catcher x 3
    Linelf x 4
    Blitzer x 2
    Reroll x 2

I have all my positional players and one of my Long Beards has guard.

Anyone have advice on how to play them?

10. Coach

Country Flag:
    Force them to do lots of rolls and hit them as much as you can. Get into base contact, to make them dodge away, they will use up rerolls doing this with loads of players, or maybe even fall over and break.

11. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Coach,

Thanks for the advice, after turn two my opponent had used all his re-rolls. :)

I managed to draw this match, although I suspect I don't go on the offensive as much as I should.

As he usually put a line two deep in front of my cage, I decided to have two cages running down the pitch and my runner swapped between the two. At this point he couldn't block both cages with only 8 players so I managed to score on my eigth turn. I didn't help that I wasted one turn trying to pick up the ball deep in my own half so, it wasn't until my third turn that I actually managed to cage up on the half way line.

Couple of questions.

1. How many dwarfs need to have guard? I have two longbeards at the moment with guard.

2. During the match after I had done all my important moves in a turn, I found that occasionally I had a couple of one die blocks available. Should I have taken those, as I had block and elf didn't?

3. I have brought an apothacary and I'm now saving up for another long beard. Once I have done brought my twelth player, what do I do with my winnings. Should I start saving for a fourth re-roll or start buying cheerleaders and additional coaches? It's very rare that I need another re-roll at the end of the game.

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    1) I'd get as much Guard as possible, Dwarfs really need it with no one ST4 or higher.

2) If you have a reroll spare still then I would certainly do it, you only fail with a skull result and it can hurt the opposition, both giving you numerical advantage and also gains SPP. If you don't have a reroll you need to weigh up how bad rolling a skull would be. Also even if you have a reroll do that anyway, sometimes you may decide to take the skull to save your rerolls. Check out the One Die Blocks article for more.

3) I'm not really a big expert on Dwarfs, getting a coach and cheerleader can be great for denying the opponents a reroll even if you don't need it. I'd get a max three, but players and rerolls are more important imo. You may have a player die between now and then anyway.

13. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    Hi All,

As my dwarf team rumbles on, tonight we are playing a wood elf team.

The wood elf roster is :-

Thrower (Strong Arm)
    Wardancer x 2
    Lineelf (Guard)
    Line Elf x7 (Four of which are journeymen)

My Dwarfs are as follows :-

Troll Slayer x2
    Blitzer x2
    Longbeard x5 (Two with guard)
    Runner x2

A part from the usual tactics as per your comments for the Vanilla Elf game, anything else I should think about?

I'm going to try and eliminate the Wardancers and Thrower early on.

When I kick off, should I go for a 3, 4, 4 set up to make it harder for them to dodge through.

I'll try this tactic too, every chance I get.

14. Coach

Country Flag:
    Standard tactics should work well in this case, he doesn't have Stripball on his Wardancer yet which would be your biggest problem usually.

15. Rav3n73

Rav3n73 Member

Country Flag:
    arghhhhh I really really really hate the dwarfs some times!!

Well lady luck, well and truly turned her back on me last night.

The Wood Elves scored their obligitory quick TD. Next they kicked to me and my Dwarf runner failed to pick up the ball until the third turn! thats a 1,2,2,1,2 (With Sure hands) what were the odds! Before we knew it, we had wardancers swamping us and they took a 2-0 lead into the second half.

As we roll on the kick off table for the second half, there is a riot and the half moves on a turn, so I now have only 7 turns from kick off to get a TD. Eventually we manage to drive all the way to the endzone and a sprint on behalf of my runner manages to get us a TD for 2-1 lose.

Through out the match the wood elves kept passing their dodge and armour rolls whenever I put them on the floor. Not one casualty during the match and I only KO'd 4 throughout the match, who all passed their rolls to come back on again.

I guess rule number one in blood bowl is "No matter how much you plan, those dice can really flush the game plan down the toilet".

Never mind, I've got the Dark Elves to look forward to in a weeks time. :(

16. Hasdrubal

Hasdrubal New Member

I've had the same experience against Wood Elves, those games can be very frustrating.

You somehow need to plan for that when setting up to receive the ball, keeping a couple of players mi-field to move towards the ball and protect it against un-sure hands.

17. Coach

Country Flag:
    3 turns in a row is just very bad luck, I've had it happen to me before

The best thing to do is to assume you are going to fail and move the rest of your team to cover for the failure. Of course if you need to score quickly then you have to take more risks and may have to forgo doing that.

Good luck in the next one.