1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoffs Format

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Rusty, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    How exactly are the playoffs working this season? Are you seeding everyone who qualifies from 1-16 and then having 1vs16, 2vs15 etc? Or doing more of a World Cup draw (1st group 1 vs 4th group 2, 2nd group 1 vs 3rd group 2 etc)? Or something else?

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Jrpeart you are needed in this thread:pow:

Jrpeart has a clever system and it is by that the seeding will take place. As far as I can remember it will be a world cup thingie, done so that you will not risk meeting any from your own group before the semis:)

3. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Okay, that's good. I prefer that to the straight seeding thing and it's still fairly simple to do. I have no idea why Cyanide messed it up so badly.

4. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Well, if you are using the model I suggested then you basically seed everyone from 1st to 16th. Then 1st plays 16th down to 7th plays 8th.

Seeding would be based on Points then TD difference then TD scored then flip a coin if there's still a tie.

The main advantage of the clever system was that it allowed seeding into a second group stage in a fairer and more diverse way, plus every game and TD counts as it could make a big difference who you play in the KO stages.

Having said that I do like a World Cup type system as well where you avoid your own groups as much as possible and could probably work that system out as well if preferred.

PS However we work it out no matter how badly we do it, it will be a mile better than Cyanides abortion of an attempt.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Does Cyanide allow a league admin to insert their own seeding into it then? I did not realise it was possible :eek:

6. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    That's a good question. I'm pretty sure admins can force seed a starting league or cup, but I have no idea how it handles a playoff situation.:confused:

7. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    If we - and by we I mean they - can do it, I've got a WC-based system I've used before that will keep teams from the same group apart until the semi finals at least.

If it can't be done within the cup on Cyanide, would it be possible to have all the teams withdraw from the competition and join an open league to play the appropriate matches as organised? Not ideal but still better than Cyanide's default playoffs.

8. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I think I can set the seedning, personaly I would prefer a system, where we awoid the same group adverseries until the semis, part of playing in the CC for me is the chance to play different coaches and teams:pow:

9. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    As long as we don't go back to the default system either seems good to me. The merit-based seedings are great for me because the record matters and every game becomes important. I also think the prospect of teams being matched up with teams they've played before would be cool, which could happen under that system but not often enough to be boring.

The second is fine too.

I probably benefitted the most from the cyanide system since ultimately I ended up in the quarter finals despite being stuffed in the first group by Max and Strobinator. As I recall their reward for their excellent play was being stuffed in a group of death while I got a very nice draw in the second group. That was a big relief from my point of view, but very unfair.

10. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    I would much prefer a world cup style system so you have groups A-D and placement 1-4

A1 v B4 : winner is1
    C2 v D3 : winner is 2

A4vB1 : winner is 3
    C3vD2 : winner is 4

A3vB2 : winner is 5
    C4vD1 : winner is 6

A2vB3 : winner is 7
    C1vD4 : winner is 8

Then you do

1v2 winner is W
    3v4 : winner is X
    5v6 : winner is Y
    7v8 : winner is Z

then the semis are WvX and YvZ

Then you can only play someone from your group in the semis, with 4 going through from each group no way to avoid that as in principle you could have 4 teams from the same group in the semis.

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Something like what Etheric posted is what I'd have suggested too, so I'll just agree with him. :powdodge:

12. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yep, Etheric posted pretty much exactly what I was going to post. Great minds think alike, and so do me and him...

13. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Are you sure its not, "fools seldom differ"? :p

Not that my vote counts much, but I also vote world cup style as its more fun playing against new coaches (CCIII and CCIV i played virtually identical coaches in 1st/2nd rounds).

I know that the admin can choose the initial seeding for first round of the playoffs. After that im not sure if Cyanide will take over or if the admin will keep being able to choose? I guess we can cross that bridge when we get there.

14. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Okay, new question:

When is the first playoff match?

I'm on a trip 18-22/8, so next week I'll only be available for playing Monday-Wednesday. So I should need matchmaking pretty soon - like as soon as I know if I've passed on.

15. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Can we confirm we are doing it this way? There are a few different ones that result in you not being able to play someone from your group until the semis, this particular one I like as it gives

A1vA4 and A2vA3 again if everyone from group A gets to the semis, similarly for group B.

And group A=group 1 etc. on cyanide, but calling them ABCD makes it a bit less complicated to explain here.

16. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    This is how we will do it, if Cyanide lets us:pow:

17. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    Good news for you if we can do that Netsmurf, you'll probably be playing me and I'll probably lose 4-0 again. :D