1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Change in Little Crunch Format

Discussion in 'Little Crunch' started by Znarx, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    After some discussions with the Munch Cup admin team, we are considering making some changes to the Little Crunch league format. We would like to solicit feedback from current Little Crunch coaches and any other coaches that are considering joining us. The primary goal here is increasing the number of teams participating in Little Crunch to ensure we have enough teams to keep the league going strong.

The format we are considering would be a move to a Wissen (or Swiss) format, probably with a 5-game season. There would probably be one Swiss competition for new teams, one for experienced teams, and a separate champions division for the top teams from the previous season.

We would still limit this to the normal team races (no combo teams). In an effort at increasing the number of teams involved, we are considering opening this league to other bbtactics league teams, not just Little Crunch teams. So potentially, your Munch Cup, Muncher/CTA2, Little Crunch and maybe even retired Big Crunch teams could participate. We would likely allow coaches to simultaneously participate in the new team competition and the experienced team competition, so you could start building up a new team while still playing one of your more developed teams.

Season 6 of Little Crunch will be played under the old format. No final decision has been made regarding whether or not we will change to the new proposed format. I would like to hear whether you think this is a good idea or bad idea, and any suggestions you have for the new proposed format, or tweaks to the existing format.

Azura likes this.
  2. Mynimo1

Mynimo1 Active Member

Steam Username:
    mynimo6
    Cyanide Username:
    Mynimo1
    Country Flag:
    I think a change in format would be good - do something different than BC (LC is just BC but fewer games). So I am just going to throw a few ideas here - lol:

- Championship decided by a playoff
    - Set up in either 2 or 3 divisions. Option 1 - Set up Divisions by region to help with scheduling i.e. Old World (UK/Europe) & New World (Americas & the rest), Option 2 - Set up in 3 divisions with 2 Experienced Team divisions and 1 Rookie division.
    - If we do a playoffs for Option 1 obviously top 4 from each division play in a seeded knockout tourney to decide the champ. If Option 2 (depending on number of teams - lets say 10 per division) Top 6 teams from each Experienced team division and top 4 from Rookie division play a 16 team KO tourney to decide the champ.
    - I like the idea of being allowed to play in both the experienced and the new team league - but where does that get you still 1 division deciding the Championship. If you want to could kinda do what REBBL does with a preseason 4 week get started league (Swiss style) to build up teams to put into LC divisions and everyone has a chance to win the title.

Don't get me wrong I like the way things are run in Big Crunch - that title is definitely earned playing all those games working your way to the top, but just think LC could offer a different format while still keeping the perpetual part alive if you want and the title is not so far out of reach if you choose to re-roll. One of the things I don't like about the NATTS system is that you have to start over each season, but I like playing there as well because it is a different format and they do allow your experienced teams into the Continuum to continue playing them. Just my 2 cents - hope it helps

3. RK Blaze

RK Blaze Active Member

Steam Username:
    rkdblaze
    Cyanide Username:
    RK Blaze
    Country Flag:
    I like the sound of this. I say give it a shot.

4. Korrova

Korrova Member

Steam Username:
    Korrova
    Country Flag:
    I think moving to a new format would be interesting and would be something different than other leagues I've been involved in.

I do have one concern (admittedly from the bridesmaid of two seasons)...

At this point I believe that the teams in Little Crunch have had a max of 15 games to develop and build. You have mentioned the possibility of outside teams being allowed to join in, including retired Big Crunch teams. I would prefer not to see an influx of 30 to 40 game old teams join and smash those who have worked hard for the last 4-5 seasons of Little Crunch to obtain the top spots.

Just my thoughts

5. Scaritus

Scaritus Active Member

Steam Username:
    Scaritus
    Cyanide Username:
    Scaritus
    Country Flag:
    I like Little Crunch short little seasons. My opinion is keep it as it is.

It’s easy to drop in and out. There’s less fatigue from playing long seasons. Your always moving up and down the tiers. Newcomers to BBTactics leagues don’t have months to wait to join a competition.

Goatee likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Goatee
    Country Flag:
    I agree, no massive changes required, it’s nice not to have to commit much time up front.

I do like the idea of new and old worlds though (to make scheduling easier) with a playoff game to decide a champion.

Scaritus likes this.
  7. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    I personally like Little Crunch, because of its smaller divisions and thus shorter seasons.
    Changing format to Swiss would do fine, as long as we won't increase the season length too much though.
    Splitting it by time zones surely sounds nice for scheduling, but it limits the coaches you are going to face off. I guess we can give it a try though and see how it feels.

Scaritus likes this.
  8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Allowing retired BC teams in would give me an incentive to play

Ilgoth and mamutas like this.
  9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I second Travels, after hearing that I am like that old cat who finally feels will to move again.

10. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Allowing of old teams should allowed! There are tons of Munch Teams out there waiting for more action.
    Getting all sorted out by TV or number of matches played is a bit a challenge, but doable though.

11. Deithwen

Deithwen Active Member

Steam Username:
    Deithwen
    Cyanide Username:
    Deithwen
    Country Flag:
    I don't consider myself experienced enough to offer a valuable opinion but allowing retired team might be a good idea. As for the format, it seems to be fine as it is.

12. YsengrinSC

YsengrinSC Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    YsengrinSC
    Country Flag:
    I think swiss could sort out the TV issues pretty nicely- and I think they would be very helpful. Even a 4 game season is pretty good for separating out <32 players (though the preponderance of ties makes things a bit trickier) so it would be easy to drop in and out, and lower skilled players can probably have a better experience. Even though I don't have any old teams, I'd be happy to learn about the old legends.

Perhaps having 3 brackets- Swiss for new players, a middle bracket, and a top 6 doing Swiss (so there would be one "dodge"). Not sure how feasible that is to set up, but I guess that's something to try and figure out too.

EDIT: Looks like 10 is smallest division you can do in a Wissen format, which is a bit of a bummer, but possibly workable.

13. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    So we have a couple of votes for keeping it the same, a couple of votes for Swiss, one vote for a cup championship, and several people interested in being able to bring back old teams who didn't express a preference for format.

I'm not particularly interested in running a cup style competition. We already have the Munch * events for that. And having run Crunch Cup in BB1 for a while, I found that interest drops off during the playoffs, since some of the coaches don't get to continue playing. So maintaining interest from one season to the next is more difficult.

I take the point about Little Crunch teams having far fewer matches than retired Big Crunch 2 teams. If we were to open things up to outside teams and move to a swiss-style competition, I'm thinking we could break teams into groups of less than 5 games played, 6 to 20 games played, and 20 or more games played. Or wait and see what teams show up and see if it makes sense to break the group up in a different way. After this season, LC teams that have been in all 6 seasons will have played 18 matches, which is the same as a BC team with two seasons. So we could separate moderately developed LC and outside teams from monster outside teams with a very large number of matches played.