1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post permalinks retain page count

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Nikolai II, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    In the top right corner of each post there's a number that claims to also be a permalink to the individual post.

The problem is that the permalink includes "pagexx" in it's design, so people wanting to post a link to the post using the permalink will misdirect people who use a differing amount of "posts per page" than they do.

Can this be changed so it just links to the post? The forum understands it.

Compare the following three links

http://bbtactics.com/forums/big-crunch-bounty-board-t2983/page23/#221

http://bbtactics.com/forums/big-crunch-bounty-board-t2983/page12/#post96141

Big Crunch Bounty Board - Page 23

(The last one is how I think the permalink one should look like, since it works for all, unless the post has been moved to another thread which is decidedly uncommon here.)

(Edit: although amusingly the last one displays a page number, which to me is also wrong, but it still takes me to the right place)

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I have a mod installed that changes the behaviour from just linking to the post, to link to the post within the thread. Otherwise the default behaviour just shows the single post as a solitary webpage and you don't see any of the other posts from the thread with it.

I think I can change it to have a separate permalink and have the number going back to the forum software default if you'd prefer. Don't think it will cause any issues but I'm not 100% sure of that!

3. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I don't have any issues with the idea behind the mod, only that it does things wrong.

The third link in my post above does it right, so if your mod can somehow be changed to that..

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I've done what I outlined in the first reply.

It's the easiest thing to do, it doesn't have settings to do what you wanted from the looks of it.

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, the one you're using now works just perfect - it carries both thread and post number. Apparently the base settings got upgraded sometime. :)