1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elf Pro Elf Blitzer(s) advancement

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Isryion, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Isryion

Isryion Member

Country Flag:
    In a league I'm in (PC version) I just got incredibly fortunate advances on both of my blitzers. One gained +Agi, the other +str on the other.

I'm curious at to thoughts on how to develop them and also, how quickly. I'm kind of thinking that I should try and get them advanced ASAP but am worried that it will be to the detriment of the rest of my team.

I currently have kick on a lineman and pass block on a catcher. On my other players (lineman and catchers), I'll be going wrestle, dodge and dodge,wrestle. My focus for all of my players is defense because elves have no real problems with offense with a decent passer and the starting skills we have on catchers.

My plan for both blitzers next is dodge (I'm actually feeling kind of naked without it on either blitzer right now). After that, I'm just not sure where to go after that, though I guess both of those advances are a ways down the road after that... Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated but here's what I'm thinking:

Agi guy: dodge, leap, sure hands....?
    Str guy: dodge, tackle....strip ball (though not a huge fan of this especially later in the league)?

Thanks again for any thoughts.

EDIT: As I noted that some posters like to see league make-up, our website is here. Old World Football League: Where blood hits the turf.Click on "schedule." My team is the Asuryan Globe Trotters. If you click on them, you'll can access all my team info. Unfortunately, I can't link them directly.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    If you want more defence, then leap + strip ball + side step on the +AG dude and frenzy/tackle + side step on the +ST dude.

3. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    leap and tackle (depending on the other teams in the league, if there is no dodge its wasted). If its the str4 guy you should get 2 dice on most caged ball carriers if you do it right.

4. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

He's a Pro Elf, he already has Side Step on both players as a starting skill.

My skill picks would be Dodge on both, Guard on both (if you roll a double), Leap on +Ag, Tackle/Frenzy on your +Str.

As for how quickly you'd get them, I'd focus on getting their second skill (for Dodge) to protect them but after that let your other players catch up.

5. chef

chef New Member

Country Flag:
    I would hold off on leap and do dodge instead. Gets in the 3 TZs of a cage 75% of the time with ag5. I wouldnt say hold off entirely, I just think there are better choices. Like dodge and strip ball.

6. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Im with Netsmurf. Leap+stripball for the +AG makes a lot of sense. Then dodge... if you can stomach the delay for dodge... If you want a strong defensive play leap gives you much more agressiveness than dodge. With leap you will be able to mazimize the MA7 of the blitzer as you can go pretty much straight line towards your objective route while dodge forces you to walk around and waste some precious tiles. Leap also allows you to blitz carriers at will (dodge is still tricky as a caged carrier will force you to 2 or 3 TZ... with still 25%+ chances of failing the approach as mentioned above) and it also allows you to jump into a lose ball and move away with it far enough to even keep it screened. I have 2 +AG leapers in my pro team and it allows me a constant harassment of ball carriers turn after turn, after turn... I find +Ag leap enourmously powerfull in keeping the pressure up.

On the +ST I think Frenzy is a must... then you can go either dodge, if you want more mobility and protetcion, or tackle. I would personnaly go dodge first then tackle, as frenzy already increases the chances of of knock downs reasonably well. In addition A ST4 blodge piece is not only a good blitzer but also a powerfull ball carrier if need be. Side step is already built in these beauties! No need to plan for it. It goes without saying that in cases of doubles for this guy one should pick MB and not Guard!

Only comment to this build is that by going this route you are letting behind the mainstream build for pro elf blitzers which is the dodge/diving tackle/tackle doctrine. This is meant to harrass the carrier by marking after knocking down a cage corner. But if you have leap in your blitzer you can harass the carrier by direct blitzing instead which is even better...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Some good suggestions here. I will point out though that +ST does make a standard marking build even better as they are even harder to hit. As it also makes him better at blitzing as well then Tackle is great.

Personally I think I would still get Dodge first on both of them unless you have Dwarfs coming up soon after on your schedule.

8. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Oups, forgot what kind of elf blitzer this was about:eek:

9. Isryion

Isryion Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks so much for the thoughts so far. You guys have made it even tougher for me to figure out!

I'm going to go with dodge on both of them next, mostly because I think it will increase their survivability. My recent opponent took every opportunity to foul them when they were on the ground, so keeping them off it will be my main goal, and there is already much talk about them in the league, so I'm going to have to play it safe. This made me rethink leaping a bit as well, though I may pick it up down the road with one of them (more likely the agi 5). My TV is high (thanks mostly to those guys) so I'm going to be giving away a likely bribe each game for at least the next couple games...ouch

My schedule is pretty varied from here on out. Next few games are nurgle, amazon, amazon, undead, dwarf, nurgle, dwarf, high elf, orc, chaos, wood elf, amazon.

So, I like the idea of using the STR 4 blitzer to clear a cage corner and then mark the ball carrier. That should make him a proper pain. Tackle will be my third skill after dodge, and perhaps frenzy after that. Leap would be incredibly interesting on this guy, but I'd predict his career would be a happy one, but very short (and may be anyway!).

The AGI 5 blitzer I'm still not as clear on if I hold off on leap. With late season games against a few elf teams, I may pick up tackle there as well after dodge and then consider leap. Doesn't seem like anyone was up for the sure hands idea? Lots to think about.

Thanks again for the feedback! If you have other thoughts let me know what you think as well.

10. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    Personally I'd go

Agi guy, unstoppable force, the idea is to make him as difficult to stop as possible - give him leap first, always leap first with AG 5, then dodge, now he can go anywhere and noone can stop him. After that tackle, after all, what better use then hitting someone that doesn't want to be hit, finally I'd take frenzy (or guard if anything showed a double) allowing him to hit harder and with leap and sidestep you can let an opponent pin him to the sideline and then giggle as the tables are turned.

St guy - immovable object, with ST4 and sidestep he can be very hard to get away from a ball carrier, plus block. First skill then is dodge to complete the set and create a great strong all rounder, once that's done, diving tackle, then tackle, the idea, simples, park him next to someone that wants to get away, they now cannot get away - ball carrier is top choice here though sometimes a receiver will do. Final skill? guard on a double of course, on a normal I'd go for shadowing, just in case someone gets away.

11. Isryion

Isryion Member

Country Flag:
    Just an update on these two guys. I've made it to the conference finals in my league and both blitzers are level 4.

My agility blitzer actually has been the better all-round player. His AGI 5 had made him far more versatile on both offense and defense -- can't tell you how many pick-ups he's made in traffic and his AGI 5 means easy passes and dodges through defenders. He's never the focus of the offense but seems to be in the right place at the right time. I went with dodge and then tackle. Tackle was a very big team need and he remains my only player with it. Leap is next with him and that's only 3 points away.

My str blitzer acquired dodge and draws a lot of attention but he's advanced slower. He just gained +1 Str again for STR 5. Couldn't pass it up-- he should have no problem busting into cages and marking ball carriers, but now I need to get him tackle...

12. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    First of all an Elf blitzer with +1 Str that survived, I envy you, now +2 Str, I'm just jealous as all heck! :D

13. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    LOL... a ST5 blodge sidestep elf! Love it!

14. Isryion

Isryion Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, he advanced after my last playoff game and I was just as excited about that roll as the win!

I think the thing that kept him alive with STR 4, besides careful play, was following it up with dodge but also being lucky enough to get a +Agility blitzer at the same time.

I do a decent job of limiting my opponent to one block a turn, so it seems opposing coaches loathe to use it on STR 4 sidestepping blodger in the first place, since it means getting at least another player -- maybe two-- to support the block and if it's missed the blitzer could end up in better position due to sidestep. Instead. I think they like to go for the squishier AV 7 line elves in hopes of whittling down my numbers. That's my theory anyway, and I may just be getting lucky.

Now, though, he'll be an even bigger target and I may have shortened his lifespan, but hopefully the STR 5 will keep him on his feet more.

15. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    You make a good point and where you're able to reduce the blocks like this I definitely agree. Its not always possible to keep it that simple especially trying to break a cage or where a dodge fails mid-turn to leave you marked, but with the increased strength he would be better for the cage breaking role regardless, since he won't need the assist of a lineman placed at risk.

16. Isryion

Isryion Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, stuff happens regardless of the preparations made, and there are times when I mark up a ton of the opponent's players because I'm about to break someone into the open or try and pop the ball loose. But in general, I try to keep blocks/turn low, even if it means a recovery turn after an early turn over (maybe not ideal D position but enough so that I can get guys safe). Usually the opponent either scores then or tries to delay some more, which allows me to get back into position or even surprise him by knocking the ball loose. If that makes sense.

I only wish I could see my next opponent's face when he sees that guy.

17. Isryion

Isryion Member

Country Flag:
    Final update on this. I finished my season making an insanely good run in the playoffs and winning the championship (the league was 48 with a 16 game season). I'll try to repeat next season but doubt that I'll be as lucky. My offense was unstoppable, never failing to score on a drive except their first. And, in all my playoff games I forced a defensive turnover (though it was often more due to a failed pickup) and TD, which ended up being the difference in each of the four playoffs.

There's no doubt that these two blitzers, the subject of this thread, were keys. My now STR 5 blitzer cleared holes and tied up opposing players. The Agility 5 player ended up finishing with 6 TDs (multiple defensive TDs) over the course of the playoffs and now has leap. The attention these guys got often allowed my catchers less dedicated marking.

Anyway, they're definitely on next season's most wanted list, so we'll see how long they last....

18. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    I just wanted to say that a MA7 ST5 AG4 AV8 Block/Dodge/Side Step player is an abomination and should be killed, his body burned and the ashes spread around the land (to reduce the chance of him being resurrected).
    Thank You for Your attention.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  19. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nonsense, that is outrageous! Why spreading the ashes around the land when you can just dispose of them in the nearest garbage can?