1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposing a new league to start with Legendary Edition

Discussion in 'Little Crunch' started by Znarx, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I posted this proposal a while back, but there wasn't enough interest then. With Legendary Edition around the corner, I'm going to propose it again. I would like to start a league structured like Big Crunch, but with 4 team divisions instead of 10 team divisions. I think we would need a minimum of 20 teams to make this viable (5 divisions of 4 teams each), but we could easily add additional divisions to expand beyond 20 coaches.

This would be a persistent league. Only new teams would be allowed to enter the league. Teams would carry over from season to season, and teams would move up or down divisions based on their record the previous season. So pretty much exactly like Big Crunch, but with much smaller divisions and shorter seasons. With the short seasons, every match matters.

If you are familiar with the RPS Divisions of Death league, it would be similar to that. We would run with standard 1-week turns instead of the 10 days of DoD.

The league would likely kick off about a week after Legendary Edition ships. So probably the second or third week of September if LE isn't delayed.

Please state if you are interested. You do not need to list a team race or name. Assuming there's enough interest, I will draft official rules and open up a signup thread. Also assuming there is enough interest, I will be looking for a couple of coaches to help run the league. I would like to have a committee run the league, rather than trying to do it all myself, to prevent administrator overload.

2. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I will participate in this league. :cool:

3. Tayrun

Tayrun Member

Country Flag:
    I'd be up for this.

4. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I would if it weren't for the fact I prefer to be playing in one league at a time and want to rejoin big crunch.

Otherwise I like the idea, would love it if Big Crunch had a reset to be honest but I know that would be unfair on coaches wanting to keep longer standing teams. If a second expansion does come out as rumored pushing for a reset then would seem slightly more reasonable.

Ill go down as a maybe on this though, if you get enough interest.

5. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I would not be surprised if we saw around 50% or more of the coaches participating in the Big Crunch of Season 9 rolling a new team. Not only do many of the new races hold great appeal, but it's also a very good opportunity to restart (regardless of which race you're going for) if you're getting bored of your old team, since the playing field will be quite even for that first season, and maybe even for the season following suit. I think it will be very interesting to see the effect it has on the league, and I reckon it'll be a positive one overall! Very excited.

@Znarx - Just putting this idea out there, but.. With such short seasons (3 matches), any chance we could perhaps see a play-off elimination tournament between all the teams that win their divisions Season 1, to determine a true winner? Or would the first season just be a pre-season/placement season? Either is good with me - I'm just curious about your thoughts on the matter!

6. Korrova

Korrova Member

Steam Username:
    Korrova
    Country Flag:
    I would be interested

7. williamspd

williamspd Active Member

Steam Username:
    williamspd
    Cyanide Username:
    Wilhelmus
    Country Flag:
    I'd be interested in playing a new team in this league :)

8. YsengrinSC

YsengrinSC Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    YsengrinSC
    Country Flag:
    I'd be interested

9. zectorman

zectorman Active Member

Steam Username:
    veratech_01
    Cyanide Username:
    zectorman
    Country Flag:
    i'd give it a shot.

10. Corkir

Corkir Member

Country Flag:
    I would be interested if you also kept the slower paced format. I dont have the time for another weekly league, and would want more regular games than a three week season will provide as one of my two weekly slots. I do wonder if the longer round format was exactly why the divisions attracted the numbers they did? If you are able to have a more regular commitment you probably would want a heavier schedule.

11. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Sign me up.

12. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    I'm not interested in starting a league that plays slower than once a week.

13. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    My preference would be that the first season be a seeding season, like was done in Big Crunch. My experience with Crunch Cup is that you lose a lot of engagement during the playoffs, because the majority of coaches don't get to play while the playoffs are going on. You can think of the second season as being the playoff for the first season, except everyone else also gets to play (and it still counts for promotion/demotion).

With only about eight coaches expressing interest so far, we're still going to need a bunch more coaches to make this viable.

14. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I'm not familiar with the format you are talking about. How hard would it be to pop in and out, not playing in every season?

I like playing here but there are just too many weekend games for me to commit to anything else real long term. Being able to play a handful of 3 game seasons then maybe sit one or two out when things get busy would be great. Not sure if what you are looking for would support that.

15. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Yes, you could jump in and out. However, there's no guarantee that you would be able to get back into the same tier as before, so you might drop ranks (potentially all the way to the bottom). And like Big Crunch, if you rest with a team, you can bring that team back, but if you reroll to a new team, the original team would be permanently retired. (We could potentially relax the last part, but if this league gets going, there's going to be a lot of admin work, and I'd like to keep the admin overhead low, at least to start.)

16. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    In that case I am definitely interested.

17. Martin ScoresEasy

Martin ScoresEasy Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Chickenfish
    Country Flag:
    I'd do this for sure!

18. Goatee

Goatee Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Goatee
    Country Flag:
    I'm in

Orielensis likes this.
  19. whitehot

whitehot Member

Country Flag:
    Count me in ;)

20. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    My count (which could be wrong) is 11 people interested. If we can get 12 actual players, then that's three divisions of four teams, which seems doable. But usually at least a couple of people drop out between expressing interest and actually creating the league, so we probably need a few more interested coaches before I will say for sure that we will start the league.

I have posted over on the RPS forums, since that's the only other place I'm playing these days. If folks could post elsewhere online or let your friends know about the proposed league, hopefully we can get enough coaches to make a go of it.

Also, I am looking for a couple of coaches to help run the league. This would be slightly more involved than being a division manager, as I am hoping that we can rotate the work of figuring out divisions between seasons to prevent administrator burnout.