1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage and right play

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by patbou73, Oct 1, 2020.

1. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    So I just had a match, Dark Elves mirror. Opponent opted to receive the kick, and scored on his turn 7, so I had two turns on the clock to score the equalizer.

To prevent a two-turner, he used a classic chevron setup. Best way to gain ground was in the centre. So I pushed the LoS to right and left, blitzed a player to widen the path, and pushed with a cage and the ball carrier.

TBH, I didn't put the ball in the right hands. The ST4 Kicker needed 2 GFIs to score, but since I couldn't get a cage without basing some of his players, I thought ST4 was a good protection against a blitz on carrier, if opponent managed to break a corner.

After opponent played his turn, the field looked like this :
    20201001154358_1.jpg

In the end, I managed to score a TD. But opponent was really mad. He's a good player, and his team had a record of 6-1-0. Mine was 4-1-4 (should have been 5-1-4, but due to "Internal Server Problem", a good game was never recorded). I have a good record with Dark Elves (60% win rate, IIRC), but I haven't been lucky at all with this team, except for the skills and upgrades (main reason why I keep playing this team).

Anyway, opponent ended up telling me that there was no point in finding the right play, when I could just roll dice like a monkey. When I genuinely asked him what the right play was, his reply was, and I quote : "You just made me quit Blood Bowl. I have better things to do than tolerate getting styled on by retards trying to sort out their mental difficulties". To that, he just logged off, and I had to wait 5 minutes to get the concede result.

Well, I'm always eager to learn, and I want to retain something positive out of this. So, in your opinion, what was the right play? Below is what I did... Feel free to comment and tell me I was stupid, I only want to keep learning. :)

MY SOLUTION :
    1) Moved Guard in front of Dodger.
    2) Blocked (intending to push to the left ; I rolled a POW) + Follow the rookie Lineman with MA+ Wrestler (yeah, I know I should have taken Dodge... I had a brain fart, thinking it would be nice to have 5 Blitzers on the team).
    3) Move carrier back one square, and handed the ball over to Witch Elf.
    4) Blitzed the marked Dodger with carrier (Witch). If I could knock him down on first punch, I would have pushed him to the right. If not, push him in Wrestler's tackle zone for the second punch. Then, dodge through what's left and roll 2 GFIs.

It turned out I had to use my reroll to hand off the ball to the Witch Elf. First punch was a push, and then a POW. I then had to Dodge and Run (3+, 3+ and 2+ with skill reroll, and two GFIs without reroll). Odds of success were 47%, and the dice were in my favor. Not the best odds, but I just can't see what would have been a better play.

Maybe keep the ball on Kicker, blitz, dodge and go for it with him? That way, one less roll on the hand off (that burned my reroll). But then, I had less chance of knocking down the Dodger, and it would have been a lot harder to get throught without the Dodge skill.

I'm clueless. :(

2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    All in all I think I'd say two things.

1. Ignore the colourful responses from your opponent, try not to let it get under your skin, even if you had perfect dice (and you didn't), even if it was a 0.1% chance (and it wasn't) that's just Blood Bowl. Some people will get aggressive over even the slightest perceived luck, nothing will change them, so don't sweat it.

2. In terms of play, you made good choices. The defence were well positioned, getting through was always going to need some great dodging. You could have avoided the hand off, but all that did was replace the dodgeless carrier with a dodge witch, so you ended up with no impact there and the possible need for frenzy was a good reason to make that decision.

All in all, well done and ignore the haters :)

mamutas and patbou73 like this.
  3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Not a lot you could have done differently. The hand off to the witch was the right call as you get an extra reroll for the dodges you need.
    You could have blitzed with a blitzer instead to save having to reroll a double BD but if all you get are pushes then the witch saves you an extra dodge.

One think you can't tell from this picture is whether you could have made more GFI's on turn 7 as you have 3 rerolls left.

4. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    I actually was saving the reroll to handle the ball (pick up + hand off), but it wasn't needed there. Prior to that, I had moved a few players to the front of the cage, without GFI. My strategy was, if handling the ball failed, but I could recover on turn 8, I wanted threats in scoring range. Maybe I should have tried a GFI on each of the 2 players at the front of the cage, but it seemed risky to me.

Then, I moved the carrier as far as I could inside the cage, and closed it with 2-3 players behind. Doing GFIs then was pretty pointless.

5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I was wondering if there was a play to hand off to the witch and go left having moved the opposition witch out of the way first, but in the end I think not.

6. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    I tried to toy with different moves going to the left and blitzing the witch to minimize the dodges, but they need an initial dodge 4+ and end up in similar probabiities.
    I think the move you did was right.

I second what Gallows Bait said about not giving it too much importance.

7. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I was confused, and thought there was another better play that I couldn’t see, given what my opponent said. Seems not. All plays were risky, butI think I did the right one, given the situation I was in. Maybe I could have been better positionned if I had played the previous turn differently, but then turning over on failed GFIs would probably have denied me the possibility of scoring on this turn. ;)

8. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    People who react like that are usually spouting nonsense. Sure sometimes the dice just favour your opponent, if you can't handle that, why are you playing a game where that is a possibility?

That being said, it's never a bad thing to look back at a turn or a game and look for ways to improve. The better play in this case would have been for him to try and score in turn 8 and only leave you one turn to score.

mamutas likes this.
  9. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    LOL! I like that a lot! :D

10. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    As others have said, your opponent's comments seem like a gross over-reaction on their part. Definitely don't pay any serious attention to them.

In the scenario you show above I think your choice is probably about as good as you could have hoped for. I am fairly certain you could have improved the previous turn though, because it looks like you used your blitzers to block on the LOS and left them behind. If you had used your linemen to do the blocking on the LOS and then moved your faster players through the gap you could have positioned the cage further up field.

Another option against the chevron defence could have been to wedge a Guard in at the side and blitz through to form a sideline cage with additional support from players up the middle. The chevron defence leaves four of his players quite far away from the other side, so that might have been better.

Silfuin, patbou73 and TravelScrabble like this.
  11. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    I don't know why everyone is telling you to not pay attention to these comments. You should pay extra attention, and by that I mean send memes to your opponent:
    [​IMG]

patbou73 likes this.