1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattigans Brave

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Netsmurf, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    So I have started a skaven team to play in the club for fun and exercise.

Roster looks like this:

1 Rat Ogre
    2 Blitzers
    2 Gutters
    1 Thrower
    5 Linerats
    3 Rerolls
    10k left for the apoth.

Played one game last night against a rookie woodelf team and I won 3-2, most exelent. One of my linerats caught a dose of dead and another was BH, but I managed to deal out a -MA and a BH so it was ok.

The match started in pouring rain and I choose to kick. The weather change to sweltering heat:eek: He is surpriced by my gutters ability to move very very fast and leaves me with a one dice blitz on the ball holder. That was a clean hit and I score next turn. A riot takes place and the match is one turn longer now. He scores in turn 5 with a long pass I didn´t intercept.

I take my time and scores in turn 8 with a blitzer GFI to go one up. 2nd half and I recieve and I score very fast as I have one gutter, a blitzer and my thrower in reserves. I only had 4 players on the pitch but my rat ogre was stable and prehensile tail forced the elfs to take longer routes so it was a dodge and I was 2 up.

For the final drive he puts 3 of my players in the reserves and I only two of his. My rats in KO desides to take a leave and I can only field 6 players versus 8 elfs. I manage to knock the ball lose in his turn 7 as he fails a dodge out of my rat ogres TZ. One of my gutters set up in the endzone and the other one dodges and tries to pick up on 3+ but fails with a reroll:mad: The elfs manage to get the ball and pass it and score without rerolls:confused: So the match ended with 3-2 to me and 70k in winnings = a doctor comes along and I still have 30k for my next gutter.

One gutter got a normal skillroll, thinking about dodge for the little bugger but if you have an idea then speak up.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Gutter Runners start with Dodge and you can't take it twice! Think you probably meant Block or Wrestle, I would certainly give him one of those two.

I'm interested to hear how you get on with the Rat Ogre, I normally don't bother with one and start with all four Gutter Runners and an Apothecary.

3. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    That was a little brain fart:eek: I mean block of course. Think I will go with block as I don´t like the idea of my stars on the ground.

The Rat ogre is a very good threat. I set him up in the middle of the pitch and with move 6 he can surf either side. This made it very easy to control were the woodies had to attack. Thus I could place him and his tail among the easy routes. At the same time it gave me a huge advantage as I could dance near the side and he had to blitz and then GFI to get away from surfing distance.

Must say I love to only lose my move on a failed nega-trait and still have my TZ.

4. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    For me, Rat Ogres dont seem to perform so well against the bashier teams. They often get marked out of the game by an Orc Lineman or taken down and gang fouled off the field. They are now 10k cheaper under LRB6 rules, but i still dont know if they are worth it...

By the way, I would go with wrestle as the first skill. It makes him much more effective when sacking the ball carrier. The hardest thing for Skaven is defense, so i feel this is the 1st skill to take. Take block on the 2nd or 3rd GR and he can be more of a receiver/ball carrier option.

Congrats on your strong performance from the 1st game.

N.

5. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I plan to use the movement advantage of the skaven to play the defence. Being faster than the woodies - EXTREME - helped me to make things very difficult for him. I will wait for a linerat to get a skill before I take wrestle and then use it for defence blitzing. My blitzers will do the job until then and after that they should get guard to help the linerat or the Ogre.

Rattigan (the Ogre) fears no bashers and it would be very nice for me if my opponent spends a lot of time on him. He is also in the game to free up some of the little rats. If he is tied up by a simpelton I try to get two assists and start the surfing process. It only takes one or two turns and then we either have a brawl near the sideline and normaly my movement will leave me with better surfing chances or out of fear for his player going into the crowd, they stay down and Rattigan is free. (Its the plan - what reality turns out to is a big ????)

Besides I just love big guys and must have them if possible.

6. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

I personally like Rat Ogres as well. He just brings a lot of things to the table that Skaven don't normally get (strength and frenzy being the top two) especially early on. Sure he has his down sides but I think he is definatly a worthy pick on a starting roster.

*Not like you needed me to tell you that but hey, I have to throw in a bit of support for the poor RO.

Anyway good luck with your games, Netsmurf.

7. Ork from Mork

Ork from Mork New Member

My Skaven team performed much better after I got rid of my rat ogre. I liked my rat ogre at first because he caused casualties and frenzy was good for making holes in my opponents line, but as the teams I faced had more and more mighty blow and guard, he became useless to me because he was always getting KO'ed or injured out of the game. Plus, as my gutter runners skilled up, they started to get expensive and my Team Value was getting high and having a guy that cost 190k (he had two skills) that was almost always in the casualty box just wasn't worth it. Plus, I had a string of games were he was constantly rolling 1's for wild animal rolls and I lost one of them partly because he failed me. I fired his ass after that and not once have I ever regretted it. My team was much more streamlined and reliable and I started winning much more often.

Personally, I think it's incredibly foolish to start a skaven team with a rat ogre and only two gutter runners. Gutter runners are what make Skaven good and to not have all four from the start is just silly. I've seen a lot of people doing that on FUMBBL lately and I laugh every time their rat ogre gets badly hurt and then their two gutter runners quickly follow. When you only have two runners, it's so much easier for your opponent to take them out than if you had four. With no runners, the Skaven team quickly falls apart.

8. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Time will tell if disaster lurks ahead, its the first time I try out with skaven and after match one I´m hugely satisfied with Rattigan and the two gutter combo. And gutters being very cheap I figure that no later than match 6 I will have all 4.

9. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Played two matches with Rattigans Brave.

One was a very even rematch vs the woodies. Ended 1-1 (I failed a 2+ pick up with reroll). We had strange weather and passing was not an option for most of the match. No disaster and the winnings was enough to get Gutter #3.

The next was against Chaos Dwarfs. They are evil. I had 5 players left at the end of the game. Bulls have AG 2 from hell, they did 5 dodges (2 away from Pre-Tail) with out failure. But the speed of my rats and Rattigans brilliant blitzes meant I won 3-1.

This game would have been a nightmare if I did not have a Ratogre. He got the ball on the ground four times. He didn´t make any cas but KO´ed all the hobgobs - 4 in total. Not bad and very important for the match. I love my Rattigan. One gutter got 2 skill rolls so I figure, block and dauntless, but is dauntless any good on strength 2?

10. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Dauntless is good on Runners, it's one of the few ways to make up for their weak strength, and since normally you're going after Str3 guys it's not that hard to make the Dauntless roll. Of course your Runner with Dauntless is less able to take Str4/5 guys then a str3 guy with dauntless but that doesn't make it that much worse, after all that's not normally your Runner's job.

On the other hand I don't know if I would take it as my second skill. Side Step is awfully tempting on Gutter Runners and I have a hard time saying no to it. I also prefer Wrestle but I can understand why one would pick Block (who doesn't love fouling a down Runner right?).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  11. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I always go Block then Side Step and Wrestle then Side Step for the first skills on Gutter Runners. Side Step is far more useful than Dauntless is.

12. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Side step it is then.

13. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Rattigans Brave lost their first match. A miserable performance resultet in a 0-2 defeat. Good thing was that Rattigan made 3 cas, a blitzer got the mvp and a gutter made a completion for skill ups. Played against amazons, but they were harder on my team and made 5 cas - no kills or anything nasty.

I gave the ogre Break Tackle, want to try that instead of guard and see how it works out.

The blitzer got guard, to support the ogre, instead of M-blow.

The gutter rolled 5+5, so I went with horns, that way I can be very agressive in my ballhunting. Took me a long time to deside.