Cyanide Recommended Race

jeffzcubfan

Veteran
Country Flag
So I bit the bullet and bought the Cyanide game. This is helping tons with getting used to the 3rd Edition style of play, and trying to figure out what is working best for me.

I've found that my instincts are taking into playing a bashing and possession type of team. What would you all recommend as the race to use? I've been playing the AI to get back in the flow and chose a chaos team. Didn't do well at first, but am doing much better in the Campaign setting now that my team is gaining on skills and TV.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Jeff Zimmerman

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Online or versus AI?

Against AI you can play as any race ;)

If you don't mind loosing a lot of games you could bring out the chaos team. Sooner or later the team will skill up and at the same time you will be on top of things at last. :p

Otherwise Amazons play a stable bashy possession game. And once you've played 10-15 games and start getting up against too many tacklers you can get another team. :cool:

jrpeart

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
jrpeart
Cyanide Username
jrpeart
Country Flag
A bashing possession game for a beginner would naturally suggest Orcs.

Dwarves could work as well but positioning becomes much more important and its harder to recover from mistakes.

jeffzcubfan

Veteran
Country Flag
Nikolai,

I don't mind losing on the board at first, as long as the team advances and we inflict a nice amount of casualties. Blood for the Blood God! lol There's a certain amount of satisfaction is leaving elven bodies lying in the casualty box even if the pointy ears put points on the board.

Jeff

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Orcs are a good balance at first, some good starting skills and plenty of strength and armour. Chaos are better on a long term basis due to their skill access and flexibility, but take a while to get the basics.

Another popular bash team would be Undead, with their access to two mummies, but having enough players to move the ball also. But they take a bit of getting used to for your slower stronger players to support your faster fragile ghouls.

jeffzcubfan

Veteran
Country Flag
The biggest plus on Chaos and biggest drawback I've seen is the Minotaur and its "Wild Animal" trait. You almost HAVE to move him first in order to be able to decide what everyone else is doing. If you hold him back to place a decisive blow, he inevitably sits on his butt and roars.

Jeff

Lollingsgrad

Rookie
Country Flag
Definitely orcs, reason being the high armour values. If you want to bash and grind your way to the end zone, then you're going to want to be able to eat a lot of hits and still come out on top. To me, that means armour.

Vusfnuv

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Take orcs, almost no other race is as good for a newbiew.
They are an essence of bashing. Being very cheap, very strong, most armored. Have quite good starting skills as well. Can't go wrong with orcs.

Undead are also quite good, but are less forgiving to mistakes. They've got two very good players, but everything else lacks compared to orcs. They are less hitting, more running team. Using them requires a little bit more skill, but having to use workarounds will teach you running/dodging aspects of the game.

Other good bashers are dwarfs. I wouldn't recommend them though. They require good positioning skills, which by its own requires knowlenge of what other races/teams can do.

To summarise - use orcs as a first online team. Once you've get used (or mastered ;) ) them, then try other teams as well.

Also start from reading these articles before going online:
Cage Basics | Blood Bowl Tactics
Cage Breaking | Blood Bowl Tactics
TV1000 Orc Starting Roster | Blood Bowl Tactics (this one if you choose orcs, otherwise a corresponding article for your race)

There are the basic need to know articles, but there are also lot's of other on this site. All of them are of very good quality.

Etheric

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Etheric
Country Flag
Yeah would suggest orcs as well.

Take the
4 black orcs
4 blitzers
2 lineorcs
1 thrower
3 RR
build, and bash.

Chaos are tough to start wtih as they do not have any skills at all, so you will get a lot of turnovers, and turnovers are a real killer for a starting player. Orcs have 4 players with block and a thrower with sure hands to pick the ball up. Don't try to pass unless you really really have to, just put the thrower in a X cage (4 guys around the outside and the thrower in the middle) then push up the field. Against another bash team you try to win 1-0, against an agility team you try to win 2-1 (they will score).

As was stated above undead are another good option, carry the ball with a ghoul in the cage and bash with the wights and mummies. Something like
2 mummies
2 wights
3 ghouls
3 zombies
1 zombie or skelliton
3 RR
is decent.

Anyway good luck with it. Orcs are a great team though, I just find them a bit boring, and a bit tough to get back too after playing too much elves.

Snap Wilson

Star Player
The biggest plus on Chaos and biggest drawback I've seen is the Minotaur and its "Wild Animal" trait. You almost HAVE to move him first in order to be able to decide what everyone else is doing. If you hold him back to place a decisive blow, he inevitably sits on his butt and roars.

...or goes down on a double skulls that you wind up not being able to reroll because of Loner. That's the reason I try not to rely on Big Guys for decisive blocks, period. Make your key moves and blocks with other personnel, and after that's done, let them do some hitting and hope Mighty Blow can remove some players for you. And if they're in a crowded position to start, most of the time I won't throw any blocks at all with them, and just let them be an irritating ST5 pylon (and Tentacles/Stand Firm is a great pylon build!)

For Chaos, I would wait to get the Minotaur until the team is established with some basic skills.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I was talking about Chaos versus Nurgle... but my MM coin stopped the conversation on the chat.

So in general... Chaos is overall better ? Regen vs Apotechary ?

Slyspy

Super Star Player
Country Flag
No guys, please don't encourage someone to become yet another Orc coach!

Deathbagel

Veteran
Country Flag
I think Orcs are the best team overall. Decent Agility, good Strength, good skill access, high Armor, good starting skills, decent movement for a bashy team...

My starting list is this, I like max bash to start! I want the troll there at the beginning in the hopes he gets MVP fast and gets guard (or if doubles block) quickly.

4 Blitzers
4 BO
1 Troll
1 Thrower
1 Lineman
2 x Reroll
10k to spare

Morgred

Star Player
Country Flag
Im a big advocate for Dwarves to learn with.

They teach a new coach the important skills for the bashy progression style of play. Such as; the importance of positioning, the value of guard in a brawl, how to assist well, how to move a cage with ST3 players and an understanding of grinding and stalling.

Plus their high AV and Thick Skull means players stay on the pitch, which is great for a learning coach. Plus their blocking ability offers a forgiving buffer for the learning coach which is second to none.

Besides, Orc teams in Blood Bowl are as common as Dodge on an Amazon players!!

Mico Selva

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Speaking of Amazon players - I recommend this team to start with. It's a great rookie team with Dodge everywhere and all players sharing the same stat line (no need to learn who's faster and who's slower - big help!) but diverse enough to teach the player about all types of skills. And, as Nikolai already have said, after 10-15 matches with Amazons, when they start to get in trouble due to abundance of Tackle, You'll know where You want to go now and switch to another team (probably).

They fit Your description of "bashing and possession type of team" with the added advantage of not being Orcs. :skull:

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
No guys, please don't encourage someone to become yet another Orc coach!

Orc 4 Life! :cool:

21 years of Orcitude and still always return to them as my comfort pick (hence CCVI after poor showings with High Elves and Chaos). :)

The Orc blood bowl team were the first wargames models I ever bought 21 years ago and I still have them now. :p

(On a side note being about £12 for 16 players, now they're like £40 for 12!)

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
...or goes down on a double skulls that you wind up not being able to reroll because of Loner. That's the reason I try not to rely on Big Guys for decisive blocks, period. Make your key moves and blocks with other personnel, and after that's done, let them do some hitting and hope Mighty Blow can remove some players for you. And if they're in a crowded position to start, most of the time I won't throw any blocks at all with them, and just let them be an irritating ST5 pylon (and Tentacles/Stand Firm is a great pylon build!)

For Chaos, I would wait to get the Minotaur until the team is established with some basic skills.

Just 1 assist and the mino gets a 3-dice block on blitzing. Thats only 1/27 chance of turnover.

Other big guys i would agree with you, but for the mino i would make an exception and wouldnt hesitate to blitz early if i can get that 1 assist and a 3-dice block.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Im a big advocate for Dwarves to learn with.

They teach a new coach the important skills for the bashy progression style of play. Such as; the importance of positioning, the value of guard in a brawl, how to assist well, how to move a cage with ST3 players and an understanding of grinding and stalling.

Plus their high AV and Thick Skull means players stay on the pitch, which is great for a learning coach. Plus their blocking ability offers a forgiving buffer for the learning coach which is second to none.

Besides, Orc teams in Blood Bowl are as common as Dodge on an Amazon players!!

For once I decide to hold off on both my 'beginners should play Dwarves' rant and my 'for Nuffle's sake don't tell him to play bloody Orcs' rant, only to find someone else doing it for me. Well, much obliged to you!

Orcs are the original cake-and-eat-it team, but more than that, they encourage lots of bad habits, such as becoming dependent on a strength advantage and not thinking about the risks of 2-dice no-Block blocks.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Well I think I'll have to switch all my teams back to Orc just to make up for all the Orc hate....hmm wait... Orcs in CTA, Orcs in FOL, Orcs in CCVI... guess I already have. ;)

But yes I'll admit they are 10 a penny everywhere, some newbies, some bash players and some of us just because under our pink skin there is green. :p

Getting very mixed fortunes with my Orcs lately.

In CTA I've played okay, only 2 games, but still no skills at all.

In CCVI they're going well and my 3rd double means I have 3 blitzers with dodge.

In FOL they're getting battered - 3 crippled & sacked in 2 games, but I've rolled stats. +MV blitzer +AG blitzer and +ST blitzer so far!

Barmution

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Barmution
Country Flag
For once I decide to hold off on both my 'beginners should play Dwarves' rant and my 'for Nuffle's sake don't tell him to play bloody Orcs' rant, only to find someone else doing it for me. Well, much obliged to you!

Orcs are the original cake-and-eat-it team, but more than that, they encourage lots of bad habits, such as becoming dependent on a strength advantage and not thinking about the risks of 2-dice no-Block blocks.
I'd rather play against orcs than Dwarfs any day, because of the limited playstyle Dwarfs offer (even as an opponent). I also can't imagine why playing Orcs would encourage more bad habits than Dwarfs? The progression of Dwarfs is so boringly predictable that I'd never want to coach them for fear of mental stagnation and detoriation. With Orcs you can at least try out a passing game, Dwarfs just encourage ye olde cage, stall, smack. Sure, Orcs are a dime a dozen in BB and I'm pretty tired of meeting them in the open leagues. Still, I can't help but feel utterly bored playing against most Dwarfs while it feels like more of an actual game against the greenskins.

Edit: Just noticed that this forum 'corrects' the word d o r f... :D

Last edited: