1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Rockets aim for the sky!

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Purgatory, May 4, 2011.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Been meaning to start one of these from my club's last season, but failed to get it off the ground so to speak. Prepare for loads of failure, but on the other hand, I hope any reader might have a laugh or two instead.

My Wood Elf team, the "Red Rockets" are now starting their fourth season, with the second run in the A-tier league of the club with all the experienced players and all the bashy goodness. Last time I made 5th out of 8 with 2-3-2 (WDL), though I almost nabbed a spot for the play-off, with a couple of the draw matches being very close. My goal for this season is to make the play-offs at least, hence aiming for the "sky" and not the "stars".

Nuffle was very kind to me in the qualification game for staying in the A-tier, which I played against Wood Elf - though his team was far less developed than mine. I soundly out-CAS:ed him, and from thereon it was quite an unfair, though easy, victory 3-1 (4-0 CAS).

My team before the league, from memory;

Wardancer - Strip Ball, Side Step, Jump Up, Tackle
    Wardancer - Guard, Stand Firm, -MV

Catcher - +MV, Block, Side Step
    Catcher - Block, Side Step
    Catcher - Wrestle, Tackle, Dauntless, Leap
    Catcher - Naked

Thrower - Accurate, Safe Throw, Dodge, Niggling Injury

Treeperson - Grab

Lineperson - Block, Dodge, Side Step
    Lineperson - Wrestle, Dodge
    Lineperson - +ST, Block, Niggling Injury
    Lineperson - Naked
    Lineperson - Naked

4 RRs, 8 FF, 2 Cheers, 2 Coaches, Apoth.

TV: 2110

I was going to post the player names, but some of them are less-than-PG13 (anyone familiar with South Park will probably figure out where the Team Name came from and the player names are a bit less subtle). In any case, my new models arrived, which means that I got an extra 10k gps (house rules; complete team = 10k, painted team = 10k, team sign and coaching staff = 1 FF), so I decided to spend some cash on a new Lineperson since I didn't want to go into the season with just one substitute.

The first match was against Norse, with a line-up something akin to this (from memory):

Snow Troll - Block
    Blitzer - MB, Piling On
    Blitzer - MB
    Catcher - Side Step, Dodge
    Catcher - Side Step, Dodge
    Thrower - ?
    6 Linepeople, 2 with +AG, 2 with Tackle, 1 with Kick, 1 Naked

4 RRs, 2 Cheers, 2 Coaches, Apoth

He got two bribes (oh dear...) and off we went for the premiere of the season.

First half!

He won the FAME, and the roll for first turn and opted to receive. I promptly rolled Boxcars for the Kick-Off table and managed to down four of his lads, the Snow Troll among them, and he only managed to down two, while not even opening up a hole in the line. He got the ball and started to beat in the heads of my players, quickly CAS:ing my +MV Catcher for MNG, which I elected to not use the Apoth on, saving him for something worse.

The worst was yet to come, as he scored three more CAS:s over the course of the game, and killed the other Sidestepping Catcher (Apoth'd MNG). He also gave one of the naked Linepeople a Niggling Injury, meaning he'll sit the next one out as well.

I actually knocked the ball loose with my Strip Ball Wardancer, but I failed to deliver it to his end zone, and I was down by 1 setting up for my turn 8 in the first half. He rolled a High Kick, I caught the ball with my Thrower and prepared the one-turn TD with a couple of chainpushes. I fail to get a "Pushed" result on the first block dice (the first time I ever swore at a :pow::pow: result), but I could save it by moving in some more players and getting another push, and I elected to make the pass first in order to catch the ball with only the Disturbing Presence modifier, and not while in any TZs. I fail the catch and we were off to the second half.

Second half!

I receive in the second half and I choose to go for a quick 2-turn TD to then try and knock the ball loose with either my Wardancer or my Wrestle/Tackle/Dauntless catcher for a defensive TD and the win. Over the course of the half I fail two 4+ passes with Pass and a 3+ (without the re-roll, I had to use that to get a player into the end zone before making the pass). It was amazingly frustrating to see my team always with five or six players in the KO / Casualty boxes and then almost making the TD for an equalizer anyway, but failing a crucial die roll. By this time, my untimely bad rolls, forcing me to use my team Re-Rolls on stuff like GFI:s coupled with the heckling from another player from the B-tier watching our match over all my injured players, caused me to completely tilt and play sloppily. I think, looking back, that I fumbled a Pass on a 2 with my Thrower, but forgot that he had Safe Throw in the midst of it. Awful.

In the end I kept forcing myself to do dumb things like opening a turn with blocking with the Tree, leaping with the Wardancers etc. simply because there were no better alternatives. Overall, I did not play very well, especially not in the second half, while my opponent played very well, and rolled at least decent enough not to cause as many turn-overs as I did. I also got two Illegal Procedures which certainly did not help.

Final Score: 0-2 (0-4 CAS, 3 of the CAS:s made by his MB+Piling On Blitzer)

Overall it was a catastrophe from my side, I failed to acquire a single SPP over the game, aside from the MVP which went to the Dodge/Wrestle Lineperson, so no skill-ups for the game. Not a single completion, no TDs, no Casualties caused on his team.

Next week, I'm up against a crazy leveled Chaos team with a line of fearsome Chaos Warriors and a 100+ SPP Minotaur. My team value for the match is 1750 plus a Loner. It will probably be rather bloody...

EDIT: I wrote a haiku commemorating the loss.

Facing Norse is tough
    Elf armour made of paper
    Piling on, roll ten

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Love the Haiku and now I really want to see the player names. Can't you edit a South Park-style disclaimer at the start of the blog?

Funnily enough I had a Red Rocket team in my div in the UKBBL, but that coach went with characters from the show rather than the presumably disgraceful monikers you chose...

This blog sounds a lot like my experiences with Wood Elves. I've heard some people say they're overpowered, but they bloody aren't when I play them.

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    (Ugh, I typed up a proper response for this, but my browser f'ed up, pardon my brevity).

Regarding the player names: They are not named after South Park characters, like that other one. When I first started playing I wanted to try WE (this team that is) because I had some old WFB models that I hoped to convert into a proper team and my friend jokingly questioned the sexual preferences of the Wood Elf players as a whole, and I just went along with that joke. It's as simple as that.

Regarding the team as a whole: Certainly there are games where I just toss the lads downfield and roll some dice for a win, but in other games, like the one yesterday, when a string of bad rolls makes for turn-overs, leaving my fellas in base contact with his, the frailty of the team as a whole really starts to show. Overall, though, I'd say that the downsides (AV7, pricey players) of WE are far outweighed by their upsides (AG4, MV7+, Treeperson, Wardancers blah blah) making for a solid team as long as you don't get bashed to bits :)

4. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    My playing schedule for the season:

W1: Crazy-leveled Chaos.
    W2: Crazy-leveled Skaven, featuring awesome 144 SPP Gutter Runner.
    W3: Slann.
    W4: Dark Elves.
    W5: Crazy-leveled Khemri.

Week 6 is an automatic w/o for me, which is nice because that means that all my lads will be up and at it in the quarterfinals (if I make the play-offs that is...)

5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Just got back from the game against Chaos. His team is an awesome sight with three quite fearsome Chaos Warriors with things like Block, Tackle, MB and Claws (the fourth with just Block), a Minotaur with over 30 inflicted CAS (our league's top killer) and over 100 SPPs, and some very neat Beastmen with +AG and Sure Hands, Block/Guard everywhere etc. etc.

My team was soundly beaten by Norse last week, so I had no less than 370k to spend on Inducmenets. I got Jordell Freshbreeze and another Apothecary and we were off.

I rolled Fame+2, and also won the roll, and elected to receive. Picked up the ball deep in my own End Zone and planned to rush through with one or two players and then stall for a couple of turns. Naturally, with my imbalanced offence, he rolled a Blitz and proceeded to screw me over. I still managed to get through with one of my Wardancers and Jordell, and I finally had to score in turn 5 because he was getting too close to my ball carrier with too many players for me to actually be able to protect him for another turn. Jordell did the hand-off to my Wardancer, and I was up 1-0.

I kicked and the rest of the half was spent just running around his players trying not to get beaten to death. Jordell was CAS:ed somewhere around here, and he also got a couple of KO's.

In the second half, he received and started to slog down towards my End Zone rather slowly but surely, and I had a hard time keeping my players on their feet, let alone get to the ball carrier. My players were getting fewer and fewer but he finally left a gap open to his ball carrier. I Leaped over his Minotaur with my Guard Wardancer in order to get an assist for the Wrestle/Dauntless/Tackle Catcher, but despite a re-roll I fail the Leap.

The Wardancer apparently lands on his head because his armour breaks, he is CAS:ed and my opponent rolled "Dead!" on the casualty table. I send in one of my Apothecaries, but he rolls another "Dead!". Unfortunate, I don't know the odds for Leaping and getting killed, although another club member remarked "You're an elf, it's like 50/50". The dead Wardancer was my only Guard player at the moment, though he had a -MA injury and only 22 SPP:s. Still a bit of a downer. :/

In any case, my Catcher proceeded to avenge his death in the following turn by heroically leaping into a side-cage, failing the 2+ dauntless roll despite a re-roll but still managed a triple Arrow result on the block dice. The crowd decides it'd be fun to toss the ball into the giant brawl in the middle of the field where it bounced around for a bit before landing next to just one Chaos Warrior, where my other Wardancer picked it up and he was off to safety way beyond the reach of any Chaos warrior. I scored the 2-0 touchdown in my turn 8 of the second half, the last turn of the game.

My opponent got seemingly frustrated towards the end and started to gang-foul the rest of my players, and actually managed to get a Niggling Injury on my Treeperson. The other Apothecary did his job well, however, lowering it to Badly Hurt. He also CAS:ed my Thrower, my S4 Lineman, the Journeyperson and an unskilled Lineperson, but the rest of the results were just BH.

Final result: 2-0, 0-6 CAS

I rolled a 3 for the winnings, and elected to re-roll (I always re-roll 1-3 and never 4-6), and of course rolled a 1, but with the FAME cash and with the cash I had in my treasury I had enough to get a replacement Wardancer with 10k to spare. MVP went to Lexington Steele, my S4 Lineperson, who certainly deserved it after getting pushed around by some ten block dice without getting knocked over, and surviving a +4 gang foul despite his Niggling Injury. My 54 SPP Wardancer scored both touchdowns and aside from a single pass from the Thrower, those were all the SPPs I got. No new skill rolls, that is. I really need a kicker, I should try and level up a Lineperson.

Aside from the unfortunate death of the one Wardancer (you will be missed, Samson Biceps - if you don't know the name, don't bother googleing him, I guarantee that the results will be NSFW), all the other injuries were just Badly Hurt.

Next week I'm up against Skaven, a vendetta of mine. The same player (and team) managed to score the -MA injury on Samson Biceps in my very first Blood Bowl league game, and I'm 0-0-2 against him in league games overall. However, since none of the other injuries were bad, I can sport a full squad agains the Skavens, coupled with my good catchers who were sitting this one out.

My team, as of now:

Wardancer - Naked

Catcher - Block, Side Step, +MA
    Catcher - Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap
    Catcher - Naked

Treeperson - Grab

Lineperson - +S, Block, Niggling Injury
    Lineperson - Dodge, Wrestle
    Lineperson - Niggling Injury
    Lineperson - Naked

4 RRs, 9 FF, 2 Coaches, 2 Cheers, Apothecary

TV: 2060

Here's to a nice, vengeful match against Skaven - Red Rockets away!

EDIT: Oh, and I wrote another haiku in the honor of my opponent's Chaos Warriors, whom are all definitely of the Khornate variety;

Kill maim burn, kill maim,
    Kill maim burn, kill maim burn, kill,
    Blood for the blood god

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    My game against Skaven went down very much like the one last season. Though the game was more even than the final score may show, it was definitely a blow-out in the end.

He won FAME (20k vs 22k, our matches are always very popular :p) and I won the roll for first turn and elected to receive, my plan was to hug the ball tightly and let my Tackle players Blitz for all they are worth in order to get a player advantage. The plan went quite well up until I was about to score when I suddenly caught a case of the Elf disease and started to roll a lot of double 1's.

Skaven then did what Skaven does best, nagged the ball and scored. This went on over the course of the game, I rolled fairly well up until the point when I was about to make a hand-off in order to score the dice started hating on me.

Final Score: 0-3, 1-3 in CAS:s

I should state that I had no high hopes of winning the match, our teams are usually quite evenly matched, but his is better and more developed where it counts (the Gutter Runners). He has the ability to quite easily score a one-turn TD with his MA10 Sprint, Sure Feet, Block, Side Step GR, while I need to jerk around with chain pushes etc. in order to do that. He also has another nasty GR with MA10, Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle and a third with Block, Side Step, Guard, AG5, topped with two great Blitzers with about 50 SPP:s each. The fact that my Linepeople overall might be more skilled than his Linerats made little difference, since, well, MA10, Sprint, Sure Feet is hard to stop.

I should also note that he didn't really have to use the one-turn scorer since he was on defense for almost the entirety of the game, and just had to mark up all my players and wait for me to fail.

My opponent played really well, however, and that coupled with ability to save the bad rolls for the worst times made it a sure deal for him. The match was very enjoyable to play, despite the result, and had some really good moments (my Treeperson blitzing his Rat Ogre, badly hurting him, for example, or him fouling my good Wardancer like five turns in a row, breaking the armour every time and never rolling anything worse than Stunned).

No skill-rolls either, though my Block, Dodge, Side Step Lineperson is at 49 SPPs and my Treeperson is at 15, so I'm hoping for new skills quite soon.

So that's 1-0-2 (WDL) so far, next week I'm up against Slann, and I've won both of our previous League games, and he usually gets nuffled pretty hard. It should make for an interesting game full of turnovers, however :D

7. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Thats why I love to play rats:pow:

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Skaven vs. Wood Elves makes for some very interesting matches, I think. As soon as anyone fails at anything, usually the margins are so small that the entire situation changes. The ball can be moved over the entire pitch quite reliably by both teams and no ball carrier is really safe against either my Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap Catcher, my Strip Ball, Tackle Wardancer or his AG 5 Gutter Runner, his Dauntless, Wrestle, Tackle, MA 10 Gutter Runner.

Overall, when getting stuck like I did and failing some of those 35/36 rolls to score is extremely frustrating, but I can't help but laugh at how much the match sways back and forth every time we play.

9. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Just returned home from a match vs. Slann, here's how it played out:

We both had exactly 2060 in TV, so no inducements on either side, and I believe we both had 13 players on our rosters.

I tried to write a more in-depth review of the match, but I can't remember enough details because I was trying to play as fast as possible (my opponent had to leave pretty early).

Some highlights;

* My Strip Ball, Side Step, Jump Up, Tackle Wardancer being completely awesome, Jump Up is so boss, you don't even know.

* My Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap Catcher being completely awesome, Leap is so boss, you don't even know.

* Half of my team ending up in the audience due to his S4 Blitzer with Frenzy. It's hard to protect your peeps against a crowd pusher with S4 and Leap :(

* My S4, Block Lineperson got killed, despite using the Apothecary. That's the second time in three games where my opponent has rolled dead-dead on two CAS rolls. He also got the MVP which would have put him on 31 SPP:s :( Rest in peace, Lexington Steele.

* My Dodge/Wrestle Lineperson getting killed by the crowd after a long and faithful service to the team. Rest in peace, Big Jim.

* My Treeperson rolled like three K.O.s, but not a single CAS in his injury rolls. Still at 15 SPPs, damnit.

* My new Wardancer scoring two touchdowns and gettin a level (1+3 - Side Step)

* My opponent scored a really nice 2-turn TD, the fact that his Catchers leap on a 2+ always gives me the fits, especially when he can mark up many of my players with his Blitzers with Diving Tackle and then leave me with only like two or three players to mark his Catchers.

* Overall, I rolled a lot better than my opponent, which I think is reflected in the final score.

* I re-rolled into a 6 for the winnings :D

Final Score: 4-1, 0-2 in CAS (both frags)

My team as of now:

Wardancer - Side Step

Catcher - Block, Side Step, +MV
    Catcher - Naked

Treeperson - Grab

Lineperson - Naked

9 FF, 4 RRs, 2 Coaches, 2 Cheers, Apoth

TV: 1830
    100k in the bank

2-0-2 (WDL) this season, 16-5-6 overall.

Now, the question I've been pondering is: My Linepeople have not done well for their survival this season, three of them have perished so far. I have 100k in the bank, and the question is - do I buy any more Linepeople?

My game next week is against Dark Elves, and I expect many of my players to get shanked by his Assassins... However, buying a single Lineperson would put me way too low to replace any other more important player should they bite the dust instead. His team has also taken quite the beating against Norse and probably will against Chaos, so I'm not expecting any inducements coming my way for the match.

Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Red Rawkets away!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Played a game against Dark Elves yesterday and it ended 3-3 after a very enjoyable game. The match was rather bloody, true spectator's game. I used 70 of my 100k to get another Lineperson, then I fired a coach to get 100k in inducements (Wandering Apothecary).

Highlights:

* My favourite player on the team, the Wrestle/Tackle/Dauntless/Leap Catcher got Stabbed to death in the game's third turn, though the Apothecary actually did his job for once and made it a MNG instead. It's a shame he won't be playing though.

* My Thrower got -MA, the naked Catcher -AV, and a 0 SPP Lineperson got killed. I believe all three of these injuries were from his Assassins. In return, my Treeman gave one of the Assassins -AV.

* He gang-fouled my Tree with five assists and rolled a double 1. No bribes, no Sneaky Git.

* I got two skill rolls, though both were normal rolls. The Treeman got Guard and the Block/Dodge/Side Step Lineperson will get Fend I think.

The team after the game and for the upcoming final game of the league (my last game before the play-offs is an automatic W/O):

Wardancer - Side Step

Catcher - Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap, MNG
    Catcher - Naked, -AV, MNG

Thrower - Accurate, Safe Throw, Dodge, Niggling Injury, -MA, MNG

Treeperson - Grab, Guard

Lineperson - Block, Dodge, Side Step, Fend
    Lineperson - Naked

3 Journeymen

8 FF, 4 RRs, 1 Coach, 2 Cheers, Apoth, 80k in the bank

The last game will be tough, it's against an awesome Khemri team which is playing its sixth season or something like that, and it's a real shame that the leaping Catcher is missing this game, since the Strip Ball WD is rather useless against his Sure Hands Thro Ras.

11. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Played the final game of the league earlier today, and unfortunately it's a loss against Khemri.

I fired the rest of the support staff, in order to get 370k in inducements, which went to Zara the Slayer and an extra Apoth. My plan was to stall until like turn five or six in the first half, leaving him with too few players in order to score.

Zara was awesome in the game, getting a couple of KOs and a CAS, and both of my Wardancers each CAS:ed a Skeleton. This meant that I actually had a player advantage towards the end of the first half, but he kept marking my ball carrier well, which meant I had to risk a pass. I handed off the ball to a Lineperson and screened him, but he was able to blitz the Lineperson with two GFI:s ending up in a 1D-block successfully. I knocked him over in my next turn but had to burn my re-roll in order to pick up the ball, and then rolled another 1 for the pass.

0-0 in half-time, and he was to receive. I managed to hold him off for most of the half, with him caging the ball with a couple of Skeletons and Tomb Guardians. I had no way of retrieving the ball, however, since the best I could manage with my Wrestle Catcher sitting this one out was leaping into the cage with a WD. I elected to harass the corners, and finally managed to get a 1D block with my experienced WD, which meant I knocked over the Thro-Ra, but the ball ended up in two TZs.

By this time the numbers were evening out, he actually CAS:ed my Tree (broken neck, lol) but since my next match is an automatic WO, I decided not to use the Apothecary.

A particularly heroic Lineperson managed to dodge away, pick up the ball, dodge and GFI out of there for a quick 3+ pass to safety. He got to roll an Interception with a Tomb Guardian, which if course was successful. Of course, after my hero Lineperson's string of good dice, the 6+ was due for my opponent.

In his last turn, he blitzes the hero Lineman, knocking him over (god, I HATE tackle...) and then runs into my endzone with two GFI:s.

I then fail the one-turn TD because I had to re-roll a :skull::skull: on the chain push dice, which meant there was no way in hell I'd manage a 2+ pass and a 2+ hand-off (let alone two GFI:s for the score) without a re-roll.

I actually managed to out-CAS him however, which is a pleasant change of pace for my team. Aside from the -AG on the Tree (null'd) there were no bad injuries on my team either.

Final score: 0-1 (3-2 CAS)

MVP went to Zara, unfortunately, but with Zara and three Journeypeople, the chance of the MVP landing on one of them was quite large after all. I fired the -AV Catcher with 3SPPs, and got no new skill-rolls from this game or the WO.

My team, at the end of the league:

Wardancer - Side Step (13 SPP)

Catcher - Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap (48 SPP)

Thrower - Accurate, Safe Throw, Dodge, Niggling Injury, -MA, MNG

Treeperson - Grab, Guard

Lineperson - Block, Dodge, Side Step, Kick
    Lineperson - Naked

7 FF, 4 RRs, Apoth, 200k in the bank.

TV: 1620

Not sure how to spend the 200k in the bank, but I need at least an 11th player. I think I'll get a new Catcher or another Thrower, but we'll see. The rather poor record of 3-1-3 this seasons means I'll likely miss the play-offs. My opponent from round 2 has sadly forfeited all of his future games, which means that the Norse player (my opponent in round 1) gets another free win in his last round. He's at 7 points (to my 10) and he's the opposition for the last slot in the play-offs. He needs to lose his next two games by at least 5 goals in total, but then again his games are against Slann (who creamed the Norse team last season) and Skaven (reigning champion).

If I don't make the play-offs, it's likely that the qualification rounds will be the last game with this team, as I plan to switch before starting the next season. We'll see, however.

12. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Just received news that the Norse team lost to Slann by 5-1, so unless he at least ties with Skaven (reigning champion, most broken team ever), Norse is out and Red Rockets are in!

The dream of making the play-offs is still very much alive! :D

13. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    So I didn't make the play-offs, the Slann team did, and it went on to lose in the finals (8-1 to the ruling champion Skaven team, apparently the match was quite the laugh). I had my mind set on playing Underworld for the next couple of seasons, but many other players with higher-tier teams decided to re-boot with new squads, so I eventually settled for keeping my team for another couple of seasons, to make sure that there are at least six players with teams worth more than a million in the A-tier.

My squad, pre-season looks like this:

Wardancer - Side Step (13 SPP)

Catcher - Block, Side Step, +MA
    Catcher - Naked

Thrower - Accurate, Safe Throw, Dodge, -MA, Niggling

Treeman - Grab, Guard

Lineperson - Niggling
    Lineperson - Naked
    Lineperson - Naked

7 FF, 4 RRs, Apoth, 40k in the bank

TV: 18-something

The leagues are not yet set, but likely I will be up against 2x Skaven, another Woodies squad (with a S4 Lineperson and a S4 Wardancer), Khemri, and one or two Orc teams. Looking to be a fun season, at least if I get the opponents in a decent order.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  14. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I think that I would get rid of the niggling lino as fast as possible and also think about the future for the thrower:powdodge:

15. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I really have two options when it comes to the Niggle Lino:

1. Let him have LOS-duty until I run into Orcs or Khemri and the problem "solves itself" :skull:

2. Fire him and replace him with a fresh Lino asap.

Both options clearly have different pros and cons, #1 is more cost-effective in the short run, and since I'm only at about 40k right now, getting a WD killed would suck. However, having 70k worth of TV which is likely to sit in the KO or CAS box all game, even moreso than the average WE Lino is also tough.

#2 is more costly, but also the better long-term plan. It'd suck if he got an MVP now, or even SPPs in any other way.

Also, the schedule for the season is done, and though I didn't make a clear enough mental note for it all, my first three weeks looks like this:

W1: Skaven (reigning champions)
    W2: Automatic wo
    W3: Skaven (new team, about the same TV as mine)

Then inbetween here I have Wood Elfs and Orcs and I finish off against Khemri. There is a lot of prestige in the W3 game, and I do have a bone to pick with the first Skaven coach. Thankfully, I'll only have to play one game with my wounded, broke team before I get some more cash from the wo game. Also, the LC finally listened to our pleas and allowed Wizards for this season, I'll surely enjoy frying some rats. :D

The first game will, our schedules withstanding, be played tomorrow afternoon, I'm extremely excited after an entire summer with no blood bowl! Go, Rockets! :pow:

16. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Just came home from the first game of the season, which was against the reigning champion Skaven team, full of nastiness, such as a one-turn scorer, two GRs with +Agi, a +S Blitzer etc. etc.

I got 680k worth of inducements, and decided to go for Eldril, Wizard, 2x Apoth and Babe, leaving 30k for candy for the mere 12k fans who showed up to support the Rockets (compared to his 21k). He won the roll and elected to kick and from there on most of it is a blur. The games between our teams are often enjoyable to play, but today we were more or less competing in punting plays. He rolled worse than me, though.

Highlights:
    * Eldril being completely awesome. Hypnotic Gaze opens up so many offensive plays, although I tried hard not to rely too much on him rolling 3+. He never failed me even once though.

* Me only using one Apothecary to bring back my second WD (MNG). I felt that the minimal risk of him getting more injuries was worth it to keep him in the second half.

* Him failing to pick up the ball at the sidelines, which resulted in his non-side stepping GR to stand at the sidelines with the ball right behind him, getting crowdsurfed and netting me a defensive TD.

* My Thrower doing decently well for once, despite his MA of 6 nowadays.

* Tackle, bloody tackle everywhere.

Final Score: 4-2 win (1-1 CAS)

Overall, I'm very happy with the result, I haven't beaten that team before, and I still have a bit of a grudge against it from my first ever Blood Bowl league game where he CAS:ed six of my players, netting one of the Wardancers -MA. No serious injuries from the game to either team, so all is well.

I also rolled for next week's WO match, and one of the MVPs from it landed on a Rookie Lino, thankfully not the injured one, however. I didn't get too much cash over the course of the two wins, however, should a WD die in the next game, I can replace him.

I rolled for three levels, all normal rolls, which netted my second WD Tackle, my rookie Catcher now has Wrestle and my Veteran Catcher has Diving Tackle. Sacked my old Thrower, since his -MA was a bit of a handful, got a new one with the winnings (go go risky spendings!) Here's the squad in its entirety:

Wardancer - Side Step, Tackle

Catcher - Block, Side Step, +MA, Diving Tackle
    Catcher - Wrestle

Thrower - Naked

Treeman - Grab, Guard

Lineperson - Niggling
    Lineperson - Naked
    Lineperson - Naked (5 SPP)

7 FF, 4 RRs, Apoth, 20k in the bank

TV: 18-something (can't remember)

Next match is against another Skaven team, a less seasoned one, the one after that against Norse, then Orcs, Wood Elfs and Khemri in that order.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  17. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    My third game for the season was played today, again against Skaven, but a less-experienced team and less-experienced coach. He had 200k inducements against me, since his AG5, Wrestle, Leap GR was sitting this one out, as well as a Wrestle Linerat. He took a babe and a wizard and we were off.

He won fame and won the roll to choose, and elected to kick. I hugged the ball with a protected Thrower, and blized my way through his line with my Wardancers.

His Rat Ogre decided that it'd be a good idea to blitz back and went Wardancer hunting, which, with my Side Stepping, meant that he ended up on the sidelines. He sent down a couple of rats to chase the ball carrier, and I started my next turn by caging up well along one of the sidelines. I moved up some more elves and finished off by moving in a Lineman on the sidelines next to the Rat Ogre and blocked it with my Wardancer which had just danced away from him. -2D, but I thought "what the heck, anything but a skull on either dice means he's going down or off the pitch."

I rolled :pow::pow: (lol) and the Rat Ogre was flung into the crowd, CAS:ed and promptly killed off. This is this player's second Rat Ogre dying in three games, and this one had only played a grand total of 17 turns. The previous one had a -AV injury and two levels, I believe, since before and was killed by the other WE player's S4 WD.

Since it was so early in the game, my opponent decided to not use the Apothecary, for fear of a serious injury on one of his GRs, and since he had more than enough funds to buy a new Rat Ogre.

Bearing a grudge against the Wardancer that had killed the Rat Ogre (or technically, just gave him a nudge in the right direction), my opponent focused some of his attention to my WD's demise. This allowed me to quite easily punch a hole through his line and score 1-0.

I then make a mistake in my set up and after a quick blitz with one of his Storm Vermin, his MA10, Sprint, Sure Feet GR does what it is supposed to do and scores in one turn. 1-1.

This goes on back and forth, and he casually burns his wizard trying to break a side-cage by aiming a bolt at the ball-carrier, one of my Catchers. He failed to even penetrate the armour and the ball landed clean in-between my two cage corners where it is unreachable to him, since one of the corners also happens to be a tackling Wardancer. I pick it up again, and score 2-1.

He makes a somewhat more convoluted one-turn-TD, 2-2.

I then cage up again, and continue to beat the snot out of his little rats, finding them increasingly soft as my Wardancers and Dauntless/Tackle/Wrestle Catcher goes to town on them. Somewhere here I roll :bothdown::skull::skull: with the Tree for the second time in the game, and he decides not to use Wrestle, resulting in my Tree not standing up for a couple of turns, but he also managed to fall on the poor linerat who was in the way in the block and managed to get a Niggling Injury on it.

I then make a safe 3-2, not worrying about neither Wizard, nor AG5 GR.

The following kick-off result is Pitch Invasion, and with him having the FAME, he manages to down four or five of my lads while I fail to roll even a single six. He therefor does not even have to blitz anything in order to run in for the 3-3.

For the last three turns of the game, I just cage up safely, under an 11-8 player advantage, and then I score in my turn 8 for the 4-3, leavning him with no turns to respond.

Final score: 4-3 (2-0 CAS)

No skill rolls, but one of my naked (unwounded) Linepeople and the new Thrower both scored a TD each, which means that I have the Thrower and two Linepeople needing a single TD or a Completion for a skill-roll. MVP fell on the Tree, which was a laugh since he was rubbish all game, but at least he's on 26 SPP now.

My opponent thanked me for the game and promptly bought a new Rat Ogre, and named the new addition "Wardancer", in honor of the two players that had taken it's kins' lives.

With the automatic W/O, this places me on 9 points after three games with a +5 TD result. No new skill rolls for this game was the only bummer, other than that it was a good and very fast-paced game. :pow:

18. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Why on earth would he use a lighting bolt within a cage:confused:

19. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Well, it was a side-cage, so I think he was hoping that the ball would fly out in the crowd. Not risking the coin-toss fireball might have been the right call, but I don't think I'd use my wizard there and then anyway.

20. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Hmm.. 3/8*5/6 to get the ball off the field with a lightning bolt = 31% which is pretty close to 2/6

The chance for a fireball to get the ball off the field would have been about 18% or somewhere about half the chance.

The fireball would have had a greater chance at leaving the ball in a reachable position with a single blitz.

On the other hand, the ball is it were should have been possible to poke loose(r) with a blitz - and if he didn't have any players available to capitalize, then any magic sounds like a bad idea. (Unless it's the last turn or something..)