1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Rockets aim for the sky!

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Purgatory, May 4, 2011.

1. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I wouldn't sack the tree, as it's useful for protecting your LOS players at high TV.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, no sacking trees unless you have spare cash enough to replace it (and preferably still be able to afford a new wardancer as well)

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Indeed, I would never sack it before I could replace it. It is a decision for another day, however, I need to practice my winning rolls :)

4. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    There will probably be a match for third prize this sunday against the other Skaven player, who lost to Norse in the semis. I have a Wardancer and my Diving Tackle Catcher sitting this one out, but I sill have 12 players, which is fine.

His MA10, Sprint, Sure Feet, Block Gutter Runner (his most favorite player by far) was killed in the semis, so he will not be as likely to pull off a one-round score against me as he was in the match we played during the regular season. I won that encounter 4-3 by the way.

However, the player indicated that he might have to just give me a walk-over, since it depends on his schedule at work, but if we do get to play, here's what his team look like:

Gutter Runner - +AG, Wrestle, Dauntless
    Gutter Runner - Block, Side Step, Guard
    Gutter Runner - Block, Side Step, Guard
    Gutter Runner - Naked

Rat Ogre - Naked

Stormvermin - Guard, Mighty Blow
    Stormvermin - Guard, Tackle

Thrower - Naked

Linerat - Kick
    Linerat - Wrestle, -AG
    Linerat - Wrestle, Niggling
    Linerat - Naked
    Linerat - Naked

4 RRs, 10 or 11 FF, Apoth

This is from memory though, so there are probably several discrepancies when comparing the above to the actual team.

In any case I have to decide on the skills for my Catchers until Sunday, Guard is hard to pass up, but I'm thinking that the Wrestle/Tackle/Dauntless/Leap Catcher could do well with Grab as well.

Here's hoping that it'll be a good match, and any match at all for that matter!

EDIT: Also, the reigning Champion Skaven team beat the Norse in the finals 5-3, making it their fourth consecutive championship (!). A funny (or sad) bit in the game was when the Norse player blocked the Skaven player's MA10, Sprint, Sure Feet, Block, Side Step, Leap Gutter Runner (220 SPPs, our league's only Legend), knocked him over, CASed him and killed him, despite the Skaven player using the Apothecary. So that's two one-round-scoring rats that the Norse team have killed in two games, and in both instances the Apoth was used. Also mirroring the semis, the Norse player apologized as he picked up the CAS dice to re-roll them when the Apothecary was declared.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Heh. Mean norse. :p

I'd also usually get guard on WE catchers on doubles, but for that guy grab sounds reasonably useful.

6. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The match for third-place against Skaven (same opponent as W3, I won that match 4-3) was highly uninteresting and a crushing victory for me. In the semifinals of the league, the Norse team managed to, as I've written before, kill the MA10, Sprint, Sure Feet Gutter Runner. I won't say that this guy is over-reliant on his one-turn TD:er, but needless to say, he had scored the most TDs of all the GRs by far. In our game during the league, all of his three goals were one-turn TD:s with the GR in question.

I had both my +MA Wardancer and my Diving Tackle Catcher sitting this one out, so we were both at 1770, meaning no inducmenets either way. He won FAME, I won the roll to receive and chose to do so.

I receive the ball deep, pick it up with my Thrower, protect him with a screen and beat some rats. I get a CAS here somewhere in the first couple of turns, a crummy Linerat is BH'd and a Gutter Runner with Guard, Side Step, Block is also BH'd which he Apoth'd.

I score in my turn 5, after getting another CAS with the Tree, and I then set up a Ziggurat defense with the Side Steppers in the wrong place (how the hell does one muster a proper defense without five Blodge, Side Step pieces?). Not to fear, however, I roll a Blitz! and get the ball easily for a quick defensive 2-0.

He KO's a couple of players, one of whom fails to return, and we're off to the second half.

He receives in the second half, I set up a more proper defense and roll Perfect Defense which means I can properly adress his lopsided offense. I get the ball eventually and score a 3-0.

The next kick-off results in a Throw a Rock, which he wins and he MNG's my Side Step Catcher (this is not carried over to the next season, so I decided to not use the Apothecary). I CAS a couple of more rats, my Mighty Blow Wardancer is dunkin rats left and right.

He has to risk a pass, despite the sunny weather, and I make the interception for a 4-0.

The next Kick-off gets me another Blitz! and I manage to sett up a full cage of players on his side and catch the ball with a Catcher. 5-0.

Final Score: 5-0 (8-1 CAS)

The dice were really, really unfair in my favor the entire game. The first kick-off got us both a re-roll and I still had all of mine left by turn 7, while he was down to his last. I broke armour constantly, getting a bunch of CAS's (all BH sans a killed Thrower), and 3 KO's, while all he got were 3 KO's and a couple of stuns. I did get a lot more rolls against his armour, but still... That said, I've had a couple of games this season and the last where I was nuffled hard. It seems that sometimes you get those games where you have to work really hard to play through the shitty dice, and sometimes you seem to never fail at all. It was great getting one of the latter games this time :)

The match was a good ol' SPP-farming session, one of my naked Linepeople who was on 3 SPP managed to make a Completion, a Touch Down, a CAS and the interception, meaning he got one of each and a level. My Blodge, Side Step, Kick Lineperson got two CAS's (killed my opponent's level 1 Thrower) and two TDs, meaning he is on like 68 SPPs now. My Thrower got himself two Completions and a level and the Tree got a couple of CAS's. Among other stuff :D

My unskilled, Niggle Lino also got a CAS and an MVP, meaning he got a skill-roll as well. I might not sack him now, he gets LOS duty instead :)

I've named one of my Linos after a friend who seems to make it his personal mission to gang-foul my Super Star Wardancer whenever we play. As such, since the Lino leveled up, I chose Dirty Player. I told my friend I was going to do so a while ago, and he seemed rather annoyed. Fun times!

My team, for the next season, beginning next week:

Wardancer - Strip Ball, Side Step, Jump Up, Tackle, Mighty Blow
    Wardancer - Side Step, Tackle, +MA, Niggling Injury

Catcher - Block, Side Step
    Catcher - Block, Side Step, +MA, Diving Tackle, Niggling Injury
    Catcher - Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap, Grab
    Catcher - Wrestle, Guard

Thrower - Block

Tree - Grab, Guard, Mutliple Block

Lino - Dirty Player
    Lino - Wrestle, Niggling Injury
    Lino - Wrestle
    Lino - Naked
    Lino - Block, Dodge, Side Step, Kick

11 FF, 4 RRs, Apoth, no Coaches/Cheers

TV: 2210

The team is looking awesome right now, got a couple of levels on even the Linos, and together with the extra cash I got for placing third, I now have 120k in the bank, in case something happens to one of my stars. Also, having 13 players on the roster for the first time all season is great. The one down-side is the trio of injured players, but they all have Block or Wrestle to protect them, so hopefully they won't be getting too many rolls against their armour next season (knock on wood).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    That is a beating of rats seldom seen - Congratulation:D

8. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    I think I am long overdue "one of those" games! :p

9. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the comments guys.

The new league starts tomorrow, we're doing a short league before christmas to try out a new system. There are only four people in my tier this season, and my team is now the oldest at the club, with the rest of the veterans resetting in the lower tier.

I meant to try Underworld myself, but didn't get down to re-register in time, oh well. Here's my schedule, by the way:

W1: Lizards, team at around 1500, just a couple of levelled Sauri, a couple of Diving Tackle Skinks that I will make sure to get off the pitch asap, a little guard, a Catch Skink and so on. Nothing too threatening on paper, but the player in question is really good, perhaps the best at the club, so I expect a tough game, considering he'll probably make good use of the 700k+ I'm giving him.

W2: Humans, team value about 1600. Same player as the legendary Dark Elf matches a couple of seasons ago, and the team has some very neat skill rolls, +ST Blitzer, +ST Thrower among other things. Another tough, but hopefully very enjoyable game.

W3: Orcs, team value roughly 1600. Same Orc team as last season, and since then he hasn't rolled to many levels, and he also has a -MA injury on a Black Orc to boot. I had a player advantage all last game thanks to some amazing armour rolls on my part, here's to a repeat of that victory!

By the we'll be well into the middle of December, so there will not be any play-offs this season.

10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Does indeed seem as if that Skaven coach wasn't really used to having to have contingency plans against you stealing his ball before he had time to score. A shutout is still nice :)

Well, good luck against your future opponents, and Merry Yuletide to your team, since you are probably retiring them then?

11. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    It depends, I like the team alot, and I have great fun playing them, so it is mostly up to how many developed teams that will play in the next season.

12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    What is better? More or fewer developed teams?

13. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Well, enough teams to get a proper tier with some good matches at least :)

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ah. Stockbowl does things differently, so all teams always get games. High TV teams will be handing out plenty of inducements most (all) of the games :p

15. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    We used to have two tiers (now we have three) with teams grouped based on qualification games, but often teams have been bumped up due to high TV.

16. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    First match of the season was played today, against Lizardmen. His team is not really well-developed just yet, here is his line-up:

Saurus - Naked
    Saurus - Naked
    Saurus - Block
    Saurus - Naked
    Saurus - +ST
    Saurus - Block

Skink - Side Step, Diving Tackle
    Skink - Side Step, Diving Catch
    Skink - Side Step
    Skink - Block
    Skink - Diving Tackle

Krox - Naked

However, the team has so far a 6-1-1 record, and as I said in my previous post, the coach is very skilled. I was thus expecting a tough match (partly due to being hung over :p).

He had 680k worth of inducements and to Lottabottl, Slibli and two Apoths.

I won FAME and the roll to receive and did so. He set up a symmetrical defense and I tried to pierce the flank where the Saurus did not have Block. My MB Wardancer blitzed a DT Skink, but failed to knock him over.

I stall for a couple of turns with the ball deep in my half, before I see an opening to score with my 28SPP Catcher, and go for it. I also KO a Skink on the way, 1-0.

His KO doesn't return, but for the match he has 14 players, so it's all good. I kick the ball deep and he brings it up field with Lottabottl and hand it off to a Skink. I fail the Leap roll with my +MA WD, despite using a re-roll, the WD is KO'd and he scores because the turnover left me in a bad position. Several elves got stunned during the drive, but no worries. The WD also returns.

I receive another kick, and I have two turns to score. I manage to get the ball up-field and I go for the score in my turn 8, but I fail the GFI despite using a re-roll (nice weather too, so 1/36 chance of that happening).

1-1 half-time.

He receives the ball and try to move up towards my right flank. I set up some elves in position to defend, and he ties them up with a bunch of Sauri. I make a Leap away from his Krox to blitz the ball carrier and KO the Skink, leaving the ball marked by only Lottabottl. He is promptly CAS:ed by my MB WD the following turn, and the same WD picks up the ball and runs downfield, stalls for a turn and then scores 2-1.

He has two turns to equalize, and manages to penetrate my defense (down to 10 players now, two of my Side Steppers are in the boxes) and I give him an opening by failing a 2+ Dodge with my MB WD (god damn you 1+1). He manages to pick up the ball (3+) and two GFI (2+, 2+) but then fail to Catch the ball (3+) with another Skink, despite using up a re-roll. I CAS the same Skink with my MB WD for a couple of extra SPP:s the last turn, and that ends the game.

Final Score: 2-1 (4-2 CAS, all BH)

I rolled a regular skill for my Catcher, so he gets Diving Tackle too I think, or Sure Feet. It's not extremely useful against the teams I have left this season (Humans and Orcs), but still, for future games. I rolled a one, re-rolled into a two for winnings netting me +/- 0 in cash for this game. :( The MVP landed on the Tree, bumping him up to 41, and I think it was well-deserved, he stuck to the field three times over the course of the game, but on the other hand he was tying up Sauri and the Krox like it was nobody's business.

Overall, I'm very happy with the outcome of the match. I've played against this coach twice before, in my first league he kicked my ass 0-3 (0-1 CAS) with Dwarfs and in the following league the game against him ended 2-2 (0-6 CAS) with the same dwarf team. I recall having four players on the pitch by the end of it, and having to set up Wardancers on the LOS :)

My team, post-game:

Wardancer - Strip Ball, Side Step, Jump Up, Tackle, Mighty Blow
    Wardancer - Side Step, Tackle, +MA, Niggling Injury

Catcher - Block, Side Step, Sure Feet
    Catcher - Block, Side Step, +MA, Diving Tackle, Niggling Injury
    Catcher - Wrestle, Dauntless, Tackle, Leap, Grab
    Catcher - Wrestle, Guard

Thrower - Block

Tree - Grab, Guard, Mutliple Block

Lino - Dirty Player
    Lino - Wrestle, Niggling Injury
    Lino - Wrestle
    Lino - Naked
    Lino - Block, Dodge, Side Step, Kick

11 FF, 4 RRs, Apoth, no Coaches/Cheers

TV: 2230

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nice game. Lucky he didn't go for Helmut, Hemlock, three bribes and one apo this time, instead making sure his team survives unharmed to become a stronger team next season. :p

I actually set up two wardancers and a tree on the LOS once, despite having reasonably unskilled players around. It was 4-3 to me vs High Elves, last turn of the game and he had a side-step sprint sure feet catcher. (And a ST4 leap blodge catcher to make any opening blitz with)
    Only my dancers had sidestep, so they got to join the tree just to make sure there wouldn't be any one-turners stealing my win away. It worked, and the ST4 dancer even survived the gangfoul afterwards (despite me having no apo left) :D

18. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, he's the more honest type of BB players. He CAS:ed my Dirty Player Lino in the first turn he was on the pitch (LOS duty), which was actually good because that means I didn't have to foul him. We played a gentleman's game of Blood Bowl today, simply :)

That said, the Star Players he did grab were quite the handful, especially Slibli made it so I couldn't just stick Side Steppers on the flanks like I usually do, and I had to be careful about sticking them next to the sidelines. I almost got Stevie Slamdunk (MB WD) crowdsurfed, but he failed the last GFI to hit him, after moving in another player in front of the WD.

Ah yes, the tactical T16 gang foul :D

19. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    My W2 match for this short pre-christmas season was played today, and it was against a Human team, coached by the same Dark Elf coach whom I've had a couple of games against in the past (all ended in bloody, but even games, with even scores at T16). My memory is a bit fuzzy, since there was so much awesome, so the drives might be in an improper order here, I'm not sure.

He had about 530k for inducmenets and he took (drumroll) Griff Oberwald and Puggy Baconbreath! So awesome! I just couldn't wait to punch the little half-man with my MB WD.

His team otherwise is a fairly standard Human team, an Ogre with Break Tackle, a couple of Blitzers with Guard (one with -MA), a Blitzer with MB and a Blitzer with +ST. One Thrower with Tackle and another also with +ST, a Catcher with Block and Sidestep and a Catcher with Block and Fend, and a few linemen, a couple with Wrestle, and one or two unskilled. Together with Griff that meant three S4 guys on the field for him, and I wondered if wasn't just playing against Orcs.

I won FAME and he won the roll to start and elected to Kick. I picked the ball up with my Thrower deep in my half of the field and start grinding up towards his end zone, not wanting to pass the ball since it was very sunny. In the third or fourth turn, my +MA Wardancer Blized his +ST Thrower and knocked his head clean off, but the Apothecary was able to re-attatch it, putting the Thrower in the Reserves box. Luckily for my opponent, I didn't get any more serious injuries on my CAS rolls.

We both try and beat up each other's teams, and Puggy KO:s one of my Catchers, before I elect to score with him having four turns to respond. 1-0.

My Catcher returns and my five Blodge/SS dudes give him a bit of headache. He picks the ball up from my short kick and tries to give it to Puggy for an awesome Ogre toss. The catch is failed, it bounces on the Ogre and then back to Puggy who makes the second catch. After consulting the rule-book we conclude that this is not a turnover, but the Ogre fumbles the Halfling, and the ball scatters again on the Ogre, who drops in right in between himself and the MB Blitzer.

My MB Wardancer blitzes the Blitzer after getting some help, picks up the ball, and heads for his end zone, screened by a couple of mates. He manages to get to the Blitzer anyway and after some dogpile wanking and a crowd toss, the ball finally ends up in one of my Side Step Catcher's hands. He is Blitzed and the ball plops down right in front of him, while he is pushed up against the sidelines by two players. I Blitz one of them after my opponent Jedi Mind Tricks me into losing a re-roll, but I make the 3+ dodge, the 3+ pick-up, the 2+ dodge and the three GFIs needed to score without even having to use my Dodge or Sure Feet skills. Tech. 2-0 and half-time.

I kick at the start of the second half, and he BH's one of my Wrestle Linos. The weather changed, by the way, from Very Sunny to Blizzard which means the equalizer score is somewhat more convoluted. It takes him to turn four or so to TD, but with no more serious injuries to my team, I'm all ok to fix it all up with a better +TD difference.

I receive and grind upfield again, not wanting to make any more GFIs. The Kick-Off got us both a Bribe so my Dirty Player Lino tries for a GFI to get a +2 foul on one of his Blitzers, but fails despite using a re-roll. The ball is secure in a side cage anyway, so it didn't matter.

He blitzes one of the cage corners and starts to move in some dudes, but can't reach very far without the GFIs, so I manage to score in my turn seven or so for a nice 3-1. A CAS from my MB WD, on Puggy, and a CAS from my Treeman on his Ogre (BH) finishes the game off with me firmly in control.

Final Score: 3-1 (3-1 CAS)

Overall, the game was very enjoyable, as is customary when me and this coach face off. The dice were quite even, Griff rolled a :skull::skull: once, and I never rolled a double-one, though my Elves' Dodge skill came in handy more than a few times, so there were close calls for TOs. I didn't give away anything that way, however, and I actually got three Illegal Procedures, a new low for me, I haven't had that many since my very first season. :mad:

No skill-rolls, but I raised my Fan Factor to 12, and re-rolled into 70k for winnings, which after spiralling expenses nets me 150k in the treasury. This is really nice, I haven't had that much in ages. No serious injuries on either side, which is also very nice since I am up against an Orc team in the final match for the season.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The last game of the season is scheduled to be played tomorrow evening, but I'm already locked in as league champion of the short pre-christmas season since I'm so far 2-0, the Orcs are (similarily but reverse) 0-2, and the Humans and Lizardmen are both 1-1-1. As such, my game vs. the Orcs are more like a formality (though it is expected to be a bloody formality).

So yeah, go Red Rockets, league champions!

Some might say it doesn't count because the league was so short, only three games.

Some might say it doesn't count because my team was much more well-developed than the others (giving away 500k for inducements each game!).

Some might say it doesn't count because nobody else took the season seriously because of the reasons mentioned above.

I say, bollocks to that! Red Rockets! League champions!

I just hope my squad will be spared from serious injuries tomorrow, knock on wood.