1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Rockets aim for the sky!

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Purgatory, May 4, 2011.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Pro senes subpar when you never fail a Really Stupid check. Against the LC mentioned above, he activated the damn thing every turn in the game, and never failed a single time! ;)

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Then it makes sense :p

And with block he's only afraid of double skulls anyway. Still nice to have on "Always Hungry" and "Throw Team-Mate" though. That's why I feel he might as well have gotten break tackle instead of strong arm. But maybe his +AG gob came fairly recently..

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Just came home from the game against the orcs, and as usual the regular update will have to wait. I prepared myself by listening to rock music and my game plan was more or less the elvish "Score as quickly as possible, dodge away a lot and attack his ball carrier if I have re-rolls to spare".

He had a whole bunch of inducements and decided to take an Apoth, Ulgroth, Bribe and a Babe. I won FAME (mighty FF13 against FF5) and the toss and elected to recieve. I scored in two turns with the +AG, Guard, Block Lino getting him into MVP range.

He then more or less gave me the ball, that is, held it with a Blitzer protected only one one side with a marked Blitzer. I blocked the marking Blitzer with a Lineperson and sent in my +ST, Strip Ball Wardancer. The ball bounced around for a bit and I picked it up with my AG6 Catcher and passed it into a side-cage.

More or less the exact thing happened three more times, or he failed a pass, or a catch and I just nabbed the ball and sent it away.

The final score was 5-0, and we got a CAS each. The +ST Waradancer CAS:ed Ulgroth, and a Black Orc randomly CAS:ed the Tree and gave him a Niggle, although the Apoth (Carpenter) fixed him right up. I got four skill rolls, the +AG, Block Guard Lino nabbed the MVP, my fresh Catcher scored three of my five TDs, the Niggled Lino made a Completion and the S1 Catcher made a Completion and a TD for 51.

I rolled into 60k winnings, which meant that after Spiralling I went up 10k in the treasury :D

Team post-match:

Wardancer - Tackle, Side Step, Mighty Blow, Jump Up, Fend
    Wardancer - Strip Ball, Side Step, Mighty Blow, +ST

Catcher - Block, +MA, Guard, Side Step, -ST
    Catcher - Block, Side Step, Pass Block, +AG, +AG
    Catcher - Wrestle

Thrower - Accurate, Sure Hands, Safe Throw, Leader
    Thrower - +AG

Treeperson - Guard, Grab, Multiple Block

Lineperson - Sneaky Git, Niggle
    Lineperson - Wrestle
    Lineperson - Wrestle
    Lineperson - Kick, Guard, Niggle
    Lineperson - Block, Guard, +AG, Leap

3 RRs, 13 FF, Apo, for a TV of 2380 with 120k to spare in the bank.

4. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    WTF, I want to be you. :D

Congrats!

5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you. I had some great help from Nuffle, only a single double skull, for which I had a re-roll handy, and not a single double one. Meanwhile, my elves' armour seemed indestructible, the Troll, for example, knocked over the Guard, Kick Lino twice, but only managed stuns, despite the niggle and MB. I had three KO:s in total, and all three returned on the first try. Playing Orcs and still having two benched reserves at the end is awesome!

However, with all the luck I've had against the bashy teams the past two weeks, I fully expect to be completely out-CAS:ed by the High Elves next week. I took a pic of his roster, by the way, I'll post that tomorrow. He has an impressive lineup as well, weighing in at 2370 TV, and he's the ruling league-champ, and currently leads the standings with one point ahead of me, then comes the Lizards from MD1, another point after me, and then the Chaos Dwarfs I beat last week, he another point behind, but he hasn't played this week's game against the Humans I drew with on MD2. All in all, it's really close in he top and it looks like it'll be an exciting finish to the season. :)

6. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Here's the High Elf squad I'm up against next week:

Lineperson – Block, Dodge, Tackle
    Lineperson – Wrestle, Guard
    Lineperson – Block, Dodge, Guard
    Lineperson – Wrestle, Kick
    Lineperson – Rookie
    Lineperson – Rookie

Blitzer – Dodge, Guard, Side Step, +MA, Shadowing
    Blitzer – Dodge, Guard, Side Step, Niggling

Thrower – Sure Hands, Block, Fan Favourite
    Thrower – Dump-off, +AG

Catcher – Block, Dodge, Side Step, +MA, +MA
    Catcher – Wrestle, Tackle, Dodge
    Catcher – Nerves of Steel, Dodge
    Catcher – Block, Dodge, Side Step, Leap

4 Re-rolls, 14 Fan Factor, Apoth for a TV of 2370

So overall, as I said, a very impressive squad indeed. What I gather from it when comparing it to mine is that he doesn't have the really broken superstars that my team has been blessed with, he doesn't have a S4 Wardancer or an AG6 Catcher, but on the other hand, he has better Linepeople than me, and he has fewer injuries. Both of his Blitzers are brilliant, with Blodge, Side Step and Guard, and his MA10 Catcher makes for a very reliable 1TTD threat.

He only has two Tackle pieces, which is nice but not surprising, we're the only two Elf teams in the league as of now, and aside from our teams and a few Human Catchers and Goblins here and there, Dodge is scarce.

All in all, with no inducements either way, I expect a shoot-out of great proportion, I've spectated a few games by this coach before, and he likes to score TD's and so do I! :D SPP:s for all!

7. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Well, the season's first loss came in this week's game. It ended 3-2 to the evil elves, in a hard-fought battle for possession.

He won FAME and the toss and decided to receive. He picked up the ball in his half and sent a few receivers down my half, where I responded by marking them up and in my turn 3 or 4 blitzing the ball-carrier, knocking him over and getting the ball to my AG6 Catcher, who ran upfield, screened by a few elves. He manages to do a 3+-2+ dodge through the screen and down the Catcher, using a re-roll on the block. He then throws the ball downfield again and it is caught by a Blitzer who runs in he opening score.

It's still early in the half though, so I make a successful drive running in the equalizer with my AG6 Catcher. 1-1 at halftime.

However, disaster strikes a bit early here, I managed to start rolling a whole bunch of 1's. Thankfully, I have Sure Hands, Pass and Catch where it counts, but despite all that, I fail a Catch and he gets the ball for a defensive TD.

I make a more successful drive for a 2-2, again with the AG6 Catcher for the score. Meanwhile, my opponent seems to concentrate his 1's a bit more, rolling two double-ones in the second half. Disaster strikes, however, when I fail the crucial Catch-roll on a hand-off for the score, and the ball bounces in one of the two directions where it absolutely doesn't want to go, where the High Elves can reach it with one of their Throwers and GFI-dodge out of the marking TZ. He does exactly that, and a 3+-pass, a 2+-catch (with Catch), a 3+-hand off (without Catch) and two GFI's (no re-rolls or Sure Feet) later, he reaches the end zone with a Blitzer at the death of the clock.

Final Score: 2-3 (0-1 CAS)

The only CAS of the match was my S4 Wardancer, who CAS'ed himself on a GFI to beat up the non-Sure Hands ballcarrier, go figure. In the end, the dice were pretty fair, he rolled pretty weak armour rolls, and I rolled worse D6 than him overall, but had built-in re-rolls for most of it. The match could literally have ended in any way, since if I had scored a TD in my T16, I could've loaded up the LOS with Stand Firm and Side Step players, making a 1TTD in his favour extremely unlikely (would've had to roll a Quicksnap for his MA10 Catcher, since he lacks Sprint, and he was out of re-rolls).

No skill rolls, -10k in the treasury after spiralling expenses, -1FF in total.

8. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    A very tight game - rough ending, but at least it wasn't until T16 that it was decided.

9. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, well being a 35/36 chance away from beating the three-time reigning league champion isn't all bad, and I escaped without permanent damage to the team. That's a win in itself in my book, I'm sure you agree, as a fellow woodies coach.

10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    No casualties is half a win. A win is the other half. So.. a draw, I suppose. :p

11. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Played the last game of the main season tonight, and it was exciting as always against the league commissioner's human team. He had 120k to play around with, took an Apoth and I won FAME and the toss, choosing to receive.

The match started with a Blitz! event, and my opponent threw his killer MBPOTackle(+AGFrenzy) Blitzer, Sarevok, on my +AG Thrower, CASing him with a BH before I could even start my drive. It went downhill from here, and the Humen ran in a defensive TD on their turn 6, with me having the Tree and four elves left on the pitch. However, I make all four KO-rolls and together with the reserves, I set up 11 players on turn 7 for a two-turn TD, ending the half at 1-1.

The second had kicked off, with my opponent downing three of my guys in turn 9, KOing two and stunning one. Sigh. However, the Block, Guard, +AG, Leap Lino leapt his way to assist Gördel, the +ST Wardancer, in his assault on the +ST Thrower. Gördel outright killed the Thrower, but the Apo brought him back to life with an MNG instead. The ball was loose, nonetheless, so I was suddenly in command of the game and in the lead!

Deciding to continue the onslaught on the ball carrier, I was faced with a slight dilemma - my opponent's remaining Thrower recently picked up Hail Mary Pass as a novelty skill, but the coach in question has used it to great effect. I sent only the AG6 Catcher and a Lino down to threaten him with blitzing and Pass Blocking, forcing the HMP instead of getting caught with my pants down. Sure enough, my opponent aimed the HMP at Sarevok (AG4 at least) and Gary Oak, a Block, Side Step, Pass Block, Nerves of Steel, Jump Up Catcher, but the ball thankfully scattered away. I got the +AG Lino free and tried to pass the ball to Gördel, who dropped it, where Gary Oak could make a 4+ pick-up and a 5+ pass to the end zone, where Sarevok caught it for 2-2. On the way, however, Gördel had CASed a Block, MB, +MA Blitzer, giving him -ST, but the wandering apothecary fixed it by breaking the Blitzer's armour. It was 9 on 9 for the last two turns of the game, and I overload to go for a 2-turn TD, with no re-rolls to spare. My opponent rolls another Blitz!, and mark up all the guys on the left flank, including my two Wardancers, and he then tries to dodge Gary Oak through the line to get some Pass Block action on my Thrower, but he falls flat on his face. I thankfully make the pick-up all right and toss the ball to a Wrestle Lino on my left, with most all of his players (and mine) doing a tango on the right. In the final turns of the game, he sends another elf to the CAS booth BH'd, ending the CAS score in a tie, but I won the game 3-2.

Final Score: 3-2 (4-4 CAS)

So a rather shaky win to finish the season at four wins, two draws and a single loss. A decent result, especially considering my one loss was against the champ, and even then I had a real shot at winning. The win places me firmly in the top 4, for he play-offs and I'll end up third or fourth depending on other results this week. The Chaos Dwarfs are locked in for first place, since I was the only one to beat him, he won the rest of his games, and the High Elves take second if they win their last match, the same is true for the Lizardmen (they play each other). If they draw, I get second on TD difference, though both teams can overtake me in the standings. It's not that important though, I'm still locked in for the play-offs.

I escaped with no permanent injuries this time too(!), and Gördel caused no less than three CAS and scored a TD which means he's tied with Sarevok for the league's top hitter this season, with eight CAS in total, and he also levelled up to Super Star. I rolled a regular level and pondered Fend for a while, before picking Tackle. He's quickly outpacing Stefan Slemdunk, the other Wardancer and my team captain, as the premiere Blitzer of the team and I've missed Tackle on him for a while.

The team, post-season, in all its glory:

Wardancer - Tackle, MB, Side Step, Jump Up, Fend
    Wardancer - Strip Ball, Side Step, +ST, MB, Tackle

Catcher - Block, +MA, Side Step, Guard, -ST
    Catcher - Block, Side Step, Pass Block, +2 AG
    Catcher - Wrestle

Thrower - +AG

Treeperson - Grab, Guard, Multiple Block

Lino - Sneaky Git, niggle
    Lino - Wrestle
    Lino - Wrestle
    Lino - Kick, Guard, niggle
    Lino - Block, Guard, Leap, +AG

3 RRs, 12 FF, Apoth, 130k cash, TV of 2390

All in all, the team is great right now, plenty of Agility to play ball, four Guard players, 13 players in total and even some spare cash. Knowing Woodies though, that can change quickly, but I plan to enjoy every second of this while it lasts!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Shaky win, possibly. Still an awesome win and a magnificent team. :cool:

13. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Nice pair of wardancers you have there! Now on to win the final! ;)

14. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you, it has taken a lot of work. I think the AG6 is a great gift from Nuffle too, not to be forgotten here. Whatever balls the Wardancers whack loose, the Cather picks up, and he is both the league's top scorer and top-SPP collector, at 6 and 29 respectively. I have a shot to bring home the awards for top thrower as well (the Accurate Thrower above, with 12 completions this season), the only award we can't claim is top interceptor (no interceptions at all this season, so the spot is empty for now a least) and top MVP, the Chaos Dwar Mino will probably get that one with his 3, despite my ST4 Wardancer making sure he missed one of his seven games.

Free MVPs for all! :D

15. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Well, the Lizards beat the High Elves in the final game of the season, making the final standings after the cut this:

Chaos Dwarfs, at 18 points
    Lizardmen, at 16 points
    High Elves, at 15 points
    Wood Elves (me), at 14 points

The Chaos Dwarfs winnig isn't that much of a surprise, the team is solid, and the coach is talented, but three of his wins, half of his points, were given through walk-overs, one automatic, one against the Human team I drew 2-2 with and one against the Orc team I beat 5-0. This means that he came away with a heap of cash, and a bunch of MVPs, but with way fewer opportunities to level up the players that needed it - for example, I retired a Bull Centaur on his team after a -ST injury last season, and his replacement is still only on 3 SPP.

This is important, because I'll be playing the Chaos Dwarfs in my semi finals game, and his team is more or less unchanged from the season. The bad part is, his Mino is bound to get Fan Favourite, and I'll get a lot less inducements this time around, meanin no Wizard. I'll check out his roster and update tomorrow or so for tips on tactics to use against him.

16. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Played the semifinals against the Chaos Dwarfs today, and it was a tense and exciting game for sure. I only had 70k worth of inducements, so I decided to use the cash I won for getting the "Most TD's scored" and "Most SPP gathered" awards on my AG6 Catcher to get a 14th player on the roster, meaning we both rolled out with 2460 TV.

He won FAME and I won the toss and elected to receive in the fine weather. The kick was high and I managed to catch it with my 15 SPP Wrestle Lino, who unfortunatey failed to pass it to my Sure Hands/Accurate/Safe Throw/Leader Thrower, since I had to burn the re-roll on a double skull or something like that earlier in the turn. Nevermind though, I picked up the ball with the Thrower instead and threw a Long Pass down to the AG6 Catcher who handed it off to the S4 Wardancer who ran in the opening 1-0. By then the S1 Catcher was already in the CAS booth with some ouchies (god damnit).

He caged up for his own drive, but only with two Guards in front, so after marking up some things and Leaping in with my AG5/Guard/Block Lino, I could down the ball-carrier and run off with it again. I scored 2-0 on my turn 6, with three people in the CAS booth, one of them the S3 Wardancer, all with BH injuries.

He makes a desperate play, and in his turn 8, he manages to make a dice chain of GFI-blitzing my AG6/Pass Block Catcher, rolling a :bothdown::pushback: to Wrestle him down. This enabled the ball-carrying Hobgoblin to make a GFI, a 3+ Pass to a Bull Centaur who caught it, burning a re-roll on the 4+-catch, and the BC ran in the 2-1 at the end of the second half.

I set up 9 players for the second half, I think, and kick to him. He makes a very successful grind down the pitch, CAS:ing and KO:ing most of my team. I'm left with 5 players on the pitch when he runs in the 2-2 on his turn 16. The AG6 Catcher fails to return from KO and with only 7 players on the pitch, I was unable to attempt a one-turner.

Overtime starts, I win the toss again (thank Nuffle), with me fielding 8 players, against his 9 (overtime at our club is six turns, nine players on the pitch, new re-rolls). However, since he can't field more than nine players, he has to leave a few holes in his defense. I set up, planning to blitz with my S4 Wardancer and counting on getting his Stand Firm Dwarf down, he was the only one protecting the flank. He unfortunately rolls a perfect defense (damn...), and I am forced to switch sides. The switch is successful, and I can throw a Long Pass to the AG5 Thrower who caught it, and can actually stall for a turn before running in the 3-2 lead.

Unfortunately, I roll a Riot! when kicking to him, and the clock moves backwards, giving him four turns instead of three to equalize and engage another overtime half. He has troubles caging with only 9 players, however, so after blocking away a Dwarf with the Tree, I'm able to move in a Guard assist on his ball carrier and blitz him, :pow::pushback:, BH:ing him and nabbing the ball. He has a couple of turns left to try and get the ball and do a Hero Play Bull Centaur Long Pass (tm), but fails to do so and I run in 4-2 in my last turn of the game with the AG6 Catcher. He mangles my LOS in the last turn of the game, with no effect.

Final Score: 4-2 (1-7 CAS)

So yeah, a more typical elves vs. dwarfs game this time around, not like last time where I won the CAS war 4-3. All the CAS in the game were BH.

No skill rolls, unfortunately, both my Wrestle Linos are on 15 SPP.

The finals will be played against the Lizardmen team I played in MD1 this season, and I'll be giving him about 250k worth of inducements, so I expect to face a Wizard and an Apoth or Babes. He has a fouler on his team, but it's a Sneaky Git Skink, so I don't expect him to take a Bribe. He also has two AG4 Skinks, some Blodge Skinks and Sauri, and his Block, Break Tackle, Tackle, Grab Saurus recently picked up a second Niggling Injury, meaning he's even softer under that armour. :)

Red Rockets in the finals for the first time ever! Yeah! I expect a close match, we drew 2-2 in the MD1 match, but at least my team is fairly different now, with Tackle on both WD's (important!), and some more Guard.

17. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Go go Rockets! :cool:

18. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    It's funny, the entire club has personal vendettas against my AG6 Catcher (no wonder). I never expected him to live this long. My Lizardmen opponent in the final has plenty of Tackle and Diving Tackle (3 pieces and 2 pieces IIRC respectively), but no MB aside from the Krox, so I'm not awfully worried about getting outbashed the way I was against the Chaos Dwarfs. Let's just hope I am able to hit a Skink or two with my MB/Tackle Wardancers :)

19. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Best of luck and a nice win for you then (both past and future ;))

20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The finals were played today already, and before I go into any details, I just have to say that the match was broadcast live, not in its entirety though, by another member at the club. An archived version of the game can be found here:

BloodBowl G&B final | F00K | Bambuser

It's not much, the sound is skipping a lot due to the low bandwidth we had at the time of the stream, but you get to see our pitch and our teams, and if you're a Swede you might even understand a few of the words we say :) If you do decide to watch it, I advice you to let it buffer for a while, then it's actually watchable. Quite impressive if I may say so, since it was with an iPhone and live and everything.

In any case, my opponent had 240k worth of inducements after all, spent it on a Wizard and a Babe, and won both FAME (despite my FF being 13 and his 10, I snake-eyed the FAME roll, wtf?) and the toss and elected to receive in the Blizzard that had swept in across the field in time for the finals to be kicked off.

From thereon, however, it was all Red Rockets all the way. I rolled great overall, and my opponent rolled rather poorly at some bad moments - he managed to double-1 a hand-off to an AG4 Skink, for example. I double-oned a couple of rolls as well, but none that he could capitalise on the way I could with my team. I also rolled excellent kick-off results, two Blitzes and a Pitch Invasion where we both downed two players each, despite him having FAME.

I had decided beforehand that I'd much rather play defense than offense against this coach, since he's extremtly adapt at defending against agility teams. Thus, whenever it was my drive I scored in two or three turns and spent the rest of the game leaping into boxes and over screens, letting my S4 Wardancer and AG6 Catcher do most of the work. It paid off well, I was able to keep him away from my end zone and I could rely on my stars to do the work since his less-than-awesome armour/injury rolls meant that they stayed on the pitch for most of the game. I never set up with fewer than 11 players.

All in all a solid win for the team, though the game was far from as exciting as the semi-finals was, unfortunately.

Final Score: 5-2 (2-1 CAS)

The Championship Team, post-game:

Wardancer - Side Step, Tackle, MB, Jump Up, Fend
    Wardancer - Side Step, Tackle, MB, Strip Ball, +ST

Catcher - Block, Side Step, Guard, +MA, -ST
    Catcher - Block, Side Step, Pass Block, +AG, +AG
    Catcher - Wrestle

Thrower - +AG

Treeperson - Grab, Guard, Multiple Block

Lineperson - Sneaky Git, Niggling Injury, -MA
    Lineperson - Wrestle
    Lineperson - Wrestle, Guard
    Lineperson - Rookie
    Lineperson - Kick, Guard, Niggling Injury
    Lineperson - Block, Guard, Leap, +AG

3 RRs, 13 FF, Apoth, TV: 2500, 110k in the bank

As is apparnt of the roster, I got a -MA injury on the Sneaky Git Lino, caused by the Fireball, and that was the only CAS I had against me all game. Meanwhile, I BH'd a Skink (Stunty CAS) and outright killed a Saurus, although his Apoth saved him to BH.

Post-game I had only a single skill-roll, on the Wrestle Lino who killed the Saurus, and thus landed on 17 SPP, and he rolled 3+3 and I picked Guard, netting me no less than 5 (!) Guard pieces on the roster.

Overall the team is looking amazing right now, but I did go -30k in the bank due to spiralling expenses, so they are technically only one bad game away from imploding. Until then, however, they are a real force (how often do you see BB teams at 2,5 mil, let alone Elves?) and this Championship is a real jewel in their crown.