1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Rockets aim for the sky!

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Purgatory, May 4, 2011.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Might as well replace that niggled -Move lino now then, as the last thing you do with your money.. ;)

(Sacking without replacing is an option you could explore. Rebuying when it seems beneficent TV-wise)

2. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Grats! :)

Clearly there aren't enough killer players or gang fouls in your league! :p

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Coming from the guy with two super star Witch Elves on his roster ;)

In all seriousness I've been blessed with few injuries this season, and the Apoth has done his job well - the Tree for example has shrugged off both a niggling injury and a very serious case of the death in the past five games :)

4. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Two super star witch elves you say? You conveniently failed to mention: 4 dead super star blitzers; 2 retired super star runners; 1 dead and 1 retired emerging star witch elf and so many dead and retired linos that I lost track of them a long time ago (probably somewhere around 20 by this stage)!! Also around half of my current team are carrying injuries! ;) :p

Not many leagues as bashy as the OCC, especially the top 3 tiers! :rolleyes:

5. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    The past is gone.

Always in motion the future is.

Only the present counts.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    You may have a nice team now viajero, but it's only a matter of time before half of your players are bloody smears on the astrogranite!

Unless of course you just keep them out of harm's way in the holding league! :p

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Lol, you talking like you are the only one being a poor soul having received tons of injuries in the past, or do you think that we all just have our current lonely OCC team in our portfolio? :rolleyes:

My previous post still applies anyways. Elves are always one game away from retirement, nobody is arguing that, and that certainly includes the Ladies. In the mean time you have what you have, and arguing about who has received more injuries in the past, specially among elf coaches is a bit ... meh. That was my simple point.

Besides... if you think what you got is "harsh", my dear cry baby :p , please plan to play woodies or pros in OCC for a few seasons and then we talk again ok? :D Until then I rest my case!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    No one is crying mi querido viajero! Simply pointing out to our Swedish TT comrade, that one does not magically acquire 2 super star witch elves without making a lot of sacrifices to Khaine along the way! ;)

Also, most of my team is now Av 7 thanks to the injuries they've taken, so that answers the second part! :p

9. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Lol, thats true! :) One thing I give you... perseverance!

10. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Found out today what my prize is for winning the championship, 100k worth of Gold, and a special team perk called "The Wizard", which gives me a 20k discount on induced Wizards. Our league has all kinds of prizes - the winner of the Chaos Cup got one of three extraordinary skills chosen at random on a single random player on the roster - which led to the league's first ever High Elf Catcher with Stab :D The Lizardmen team I beat in the finals won the past season, the Spike Magazine Trophy and has a discount on induced star players. Fun times! :D

All of this said, 210k in the kitty means I can actually play another season with the team, but do I want to or should I swap to another team - I have Slann at 1780, Undead at 1800 (both Wights on 0 SPP at the moment though), and Underworld at 1880 waiting in the wings.

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    1880 Underworld?? What is in that team?

Hmm.. although checking things out, our biggest UW team in the TT league is 1980 TV right now..
    StockBowl
    (And if one removes the +ST on the two blitzers, they'd be 1880 as well ;))

12. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I have 15 rostered players :)

13. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    As much as I am enjoying this blog I must say I would not mind a Slann blog around here. Havent seen one for ages. It is a race I am looking forward to play (... but no, not in ugly fumbb if i can avoid itl! :D This is one of the main reasons why I joined the Cyanide based OFL league actually) so any good read about someone else´s exploits with Slann would be fun! btw, would you mind posting your current roster there?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  14. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I'll try and get Slann running then, it'd be a lot of fun. The Slann roster at the moment is, from memory:

Linefrog - Wrestle, Guard
    Linefrog - Wrestle, Tackle
    Linefrog - +ST
    4 Linefrogs - rookie (anywhere from 0 to 5 SPP)

Catcher - +AG
    Catcher - Guard
    2 Catchers - Dodge

Blitzer - Block, Dodge
    Blitzer - Block, +AG

Froxigor - Break Tackle

4 RRs, 6 FF, Apoth

I'd like to get a few more skills on the team before the league starts, I'll try and grind the open league this weekend. Guard on both Blitzers and the Krox would be sweet, and some more Blodge on the Catchers.

15. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Cool!

Which open league is this? Fumbbl Box?

16. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Nah, it's our clubs open TT-league.

Lost a game vs Darkies today 2-3, but won the CAS war 4-3. Levelled Block on the AG5 Catcher and Kick on an unskilled Linefrog. Another 2 SPP Linefrog got -AV and the boot, and I won enough cash to get a third Blitzer. Overall neat game :D

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nice that you have an open league for grinding - that explains how you can have so many high TV teams. :)

18. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, especially now when we only have 7-8 coaches each season. Imagine re-rolling into a TV1000 roster and playing against the 2,5 mil Red Rockets.

19. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Almost five years later, the Red Rockets reanimate into the all-new Red Hot Chili Rockets! I'm playing a new Wood Elf squad in a local league run by myself and consisting of me and five of my oldest and truest friends.

I started with 2 Wardancers, 2 re-rolls and a Thrower.

Teams in the league
    Wood Elfs (myself)
    High Elfs
    Orcs
    Human
    Norse
    Lizardmen

None of the other coaches have any TT experience before, several have played the video game(s).

Matches so far:
    R1 vs. Lizardmen - 2-0 (1-1 CAS)

Fun game, lots of ball-handling from the Sauri, strangely enough. They picked up bouncing balls at two times (!) and one of the Sauri even managed a completion, without spending a re-roll (!!).

R2 vs. Orcs - 2-1 (2-1 CAS)

Another fun game, I managed a defensive touchdown early in the game, and killed his Thrower to boot, and then soundly out-punched his Orcs with insane armor rolls. He, on the other hand, out-elf'd me in the closing turns of the match by managing a long streak of ball-handling 3+ rolls in order to score.

Tomorrow is round 3 vs. Human, and it's been the bashiest team in the league so far - apparently the coach in question is fouling every chance he gets. I'll stick to my original five year old plan of "If I dodge away with everything every turn, the most he can manage is 16 CAS". We'll see how effective it is.

My team right now
    Stevie Slamdunk, Wardancer - Mighty Blow, Tackle
    Tommy Thunderwood, Wardancer - Strip Ball

Action Jackson, Catcher - naked (newest recruit)
    "Magic" Mike Johnson, Thrower - Leader

Simon Seaman, Lineman - Kick
    5 naked Linemen, all with 1-2 SPP:s
    Journeyman

2 RR:s, 2 FF, TV a cool 1200.

The first level of the team was #1 Stevie Slamdunk who rolled a double, and the sensible thing to do would be to take Guard, but since most of the league is green as grass so far, and "It's dunkin' time!", I decided to go with the fluff-based route and pick Mighty Blow.

Red (Hot Chili) Rockets away!

20. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    MD3 was played on Sunday, and it was a solid win for the squad. The coach in question has made a name for himself as the most violent player in the league, mostly aiming to do damage to the other team through fouls etc., rather than going for TD's. This has him at the last place currently in the league, but he's new and learning the game. I gave him some tips throughout the game, but didn't want to bother him too much, and I also found that learning by doing (even mistakes) was very helpful for myself back in the day.

There was a Blizzard going for much of the game, which was really annoying, especially for my opponent who was frustrated trying to deal with my MA8 pieces. I, on the other hand, had "one of those games" when I couldn't fail any rolls. I didn't suffer a single turnover through the entire match, and for almost all my failed rolls I had built-in re-rolls. Meanwhile my opponent had good block dice, and twice downed my Wardancers on 1D blocks, but failed to break my armour much. The only two CAS he cause on my team was on my Thrower (BH) and on a Journeyman.

My new Catcher ran in all four TD's and thus got a level (Guard), and the MVP fell on a Lineman with an SPP, so he also got a level (Wrestle).

Final Score: 4-1 (2-2 CAS)

Squad post-game:
    Wardancer - Mighty Blow, Tackle
    Wardancer - Strip Ball

Catcher - Guard

Thrower - Leader

Lineman - Wrestle
    Lineman - Kick
    Lineman - -MA
    Lineman - Naked
    Lineman - Naked
    Lineman - Naked
    Lineman - Naked

2 RR:s, 4 FF, Apoth for TV 1260. 80k in the bank.

Only a single Lineman has 0 SPP, so I'm running out of LOS fodder. If I roll well for winnings, I'll try and scratch together for a tree, if I don't suffer injuries on WD:s. I like the Tree, it's a cool piece, and it might help me in my semifinals, where I'll be facing either Lizardmen or Orcs, if the league standings stands.