1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf Retrospective write-up - make my team better!

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Purgatory, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    (Incoming wall of text, sorry!)

I've been having some issues deciding what to do with my team from now on. Right now it looks like this:

Wardancer - Strip Ball, Side Step, Jump Up, Tackle
    Wardancer - Guard, Stand Firm, -MV

Catcher - +MV, Block, Side Step
    Catcher - Block, Side Step
    Catcher - Wrestle, Tackle, Dauntless
    Catcher - Naked (been sittin in the KO box for most of his games :skull:)

Thrower - Accurate, Safe Throw, Dodge, Niggling Injury

Treeperson - Grab (11 SPP, go go another MVP please!)

Lineperson - Block, Dodge, Side Step
    Lineperson - Wrestle, Dodge
    Lineperson - +ST, Niggling Injury
    Lineperson - Block, -AV
    Lineperson - Kick, -MV, -ST

4 RRs, 2 Cheers, 2 Coaches, Apoth, 7 FF, 160k in the bank

Total value 2060 I think (this is from memory though).

This season, my overall was 2-3-2, winning against Slann and Vampires, drawing against Dwarfs, Dark Elfs and Chaos, and losing against Khemri and Skaven.

I survived my first round in the same league as the vets at the club, though my team is, as is evident from above, pretty beat up. I'd like to get rid of the two Linepeople who are quite badly injured, but that would leave me without a kicker for some time. The question is also what I want to replace them with.

In a week or so, I'll be playing a qualification game to stay in the A-tier league instead of dropping down to the B-tier, where I spent two seasons before this one. I have no idea what I'll play against, other than that it'll be either Skaven, Wood Elfs, Norse or Orcs.

It's obvious that the two Linepeople with bad injuries needs to go, but do I fire them now or after the qualification game? Playing another game without a kicker will be frustrating, especially if I'll be paired against Orcs or Norse, and AV6 won't hold much longer.

If I do fire them, what do I replace them with? I only have 160k, and I'd like to keep some money in the bank in case one of my Wardancers bites the dust. Firing both and hiring another Thrower is an option, but that leaves me with just one elf on the bench for the qualification round, and if I'm up against either of the bashy teams, it's gonna get tough.

Post-season, do you guys think this is a team worth keeping? I've been looking a lot at Underworld and they seem like a ton of fun to play, but I've also grown rather attached to my prancy elves, they do make a lot of TDs after all. On the other hand, I've made some really embarrassing choices when it comes to skilling up some of the players, and getting a fresh start wouldn't be that bad, perhaps.

My next league will contain Skaven, Khemri, Dark Elfs and Dwarfs for sure, and probably Orcs, another Skaven team or another Wood Elf team, Vampires and me. Quite the bashy environment I'd say, and the Av7 is clearly taking its toll.

Any sort of guidance, tips, ideas and overall flames much appreciated.

2. Geoffv

Geoffv New Member

Country Flag:
    I would keep the kicker until you have something to replace him with, maybe hire a new lineelf and skill him up quick, or give Kick to the one of your developed lineelves when they skill up. After all, your kicker is just there to kick the ball and maybe provide some assists, so it should'nt matter that he has low STR and MV.

By the way, I like how you've developed your wardancers, one with strip ball and tackle to free the ball, and the other with Gaurd to leap in for the assist. They must be awsome on defense.

3. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for your reply, the big issue with the kicker is that I already have four other S2 players on the team, who tend to get slapped around quite a bit when I'm on defense. I'll fire the other lad for sure, and get a new player to replace him, a Lineperson or a Thrower. I'll keep the kicker for a while, thanks.

And yeah, the Wardancers work very well in tandem, both on offense and defense. When I'm on offense I usually begin and move in with the Guard one, then Blitz with the other, and all the little catchers follow along like a line of ducklings :)

4. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    4 2 str players. Thats why my woodelves only carry 2 catchers.

I would fire the kicker. Yes kick is important but he is likely to spend most of the game in the injured/ko box anyway and is not much use on defence.

Fire this bum and get a new lineman. There is a fair chance you will get enough winnings to buy a wardancer anfter next game anyway.

5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    It is true, the four ST2 players are sometimes a liability on the team, though with skills like Dodge, Block, Side Step and Wrestle respectively they actually get hit a lot less than you'd think - even though almost any player can blitz them with two dice, I make sure to never leave them in adjacent squares to opponents when on offence and to mark with assists when on defense.

The fifth ST2 player, as you can see, has no such skills, and though it feels very frustrating to fire two players with 15 and 14 SPPs respectively, I guess that's the way it goes in this game.

Thanks a lot for your advice! :) I guess the decision to fire the kicker will depend on who I play in the qualification round - if I'm up against WE or Skaven, I'll fire his ass, but if I'm up against Orcs or Norse I might keep him. It depends... :skull:

6. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    It turns out I was paired against WE, fired both the badly injured players and bought a new Lineperson.

I won the game 3-1 too, so all is well right now, I get to play with the big boys for another season. :pow: