Rookie Humans Viable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
I'm thinking about starting up a team of rookie humans for the next CC. I'm wondering if this is one of those teams that really need a few extra games or if they are fine just out of the box? My team makeup would be the 4 rr human team Coach has posted, maybe subbing a catcher for a thrower.

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Gallows Bait is playing many human teams... so he can answer you better.

I think all teams can benefit from a few games... a few level up helps the positionals. A little extra cash goes a long way too.

Hoverdog

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I think they can play as rookies very well, they have all the basic skills (block, sure hands, dodge&catch if you take catchers). Of course, leveling up so that blitzers have guards is a viable option.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Rookies are viable - there are always some rookie teams applying to CC, and your skill advantage as human should carry you well. (Use team setup 1 in that case)

Advantage of playing games to skill up is that you can start with team setup 3, and work hard at skilling up your blitzers with guard, while earning enough money to buy an ogre. (And maybe play him one or two games and see if he has time to get a skill as well)

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
I like them as a rookie pick, they come with strong starting skills and are reasonably priced if things do go wrong.

For CCVII I went with a rookie team in one of the rookie divisions and was able to qualify for the play offs. It was a challenge - Humans are a slightly sub-par team, but not majorly disadvantaged.

It does depend partly on how many other teams in the rookie divisions have good starting skills - I faced a lot of Undead, which were tough due to their own flexibility, but with rookie Chaos and Vampires in the division, I was pretty comfortable in terms of having the skills to play well in other games.

For me I was both lucky and unlucky in places - MD2 saw me lose 3 players, which delayed my development quite significantly. But I was able to win MD3, 4 and 5, despite this blow - I won't deny some favour from Nuffle was involved. But Nuffle turned against me more with MD6 and 7 on the dice, so it evens out.

In either case I qualified 4-0-3, but lost my play off versus Norse as I was pretty much beat up in the second half - my armour just wouldn't co-operate, but that can happen to any team sometimes.

Most of all, however, I enjoy Humans for their flexibility and slight underdog nature. They can gear up for most things and stand a good chance, but aren't the best at any one thing.

Similar teams I'd probably suggest Undead or Necromantic too, but there's plenty of those about lately. They start with less key skills though.

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
Well, with the 4 reroll format I put together the Standard deviations team of mathematicians. Just need to get the money so that I can recruit the 'heavyweight' Isaac Newton

RogueBanshee

Star Player
Country Flag
I did rookie humans in CC6. My season started out with a crushing 0-3 start. Some of that was me, and some was the dice. After that they seemed to catch their footing, and I never lost another match. I still only finished 1-3-3, but all of those ties were close fun hard fought matches, and almost all had a single failed die roll that would have gave me the win (a failed GFI in the endzone for example). By the end of the season I had some confidence in them, and it was not an easy choice to decide if I wanted to run them again or not in 7.

RogueBanshee

Star Player
Country Flag
I like them as a rookie pick, they come with strong starting skills and are reasonably priced if things do go wrong.

For CCVII I went with a rookie team in one of the rookie divisions and was able to qualify for the play offs. It was a challenge - Humans are a slightly sub-par team, but not majorly disadvantaged.

It does depend partly on how many other teams in the rookie divisions have good starting skills - I faced a lot of Undead, which were tough due to their own flexibility, but with rookie Chaos and Vampires in the division, I was pretty comfortable in terms of having the skills to play well in other games.

For me I was both lucky and unlucky in places - MD2 saw me lose 3 players, which delayed my development quite significantly. But I was able to win MD3, 4 and 5, despite this blow - I won't deny some favour from Nuffle was involved. But Nuffle turned against me more with MD6 and 7 on the dice, so it evens out.

In either case I qualified 4-0-3, but lost my play off versus Norse as I was pretty much beat up in the second half - my armour just wouldn't co-operate, but that can happen to any team sometimes.

Most of all, however, I enjoy Humans for their flexibility and slight underdog nature. They can gear up for most things and stand a good chance, but aren't the best at any one thing.

Similar teams I'd probably suggest Undead or Necromantic too, but there's plenty of those about lately. They start with less key skills though.

Not a good day for you, I remember at least 2 of the players you sacked due to the injuries were positionals, a thrower and blitzer I think. You were sure that your CC7 was about over after the loss, but still took them into the playoffs.

Well done!

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Good memory, yes, Blitzer and Thrower were out, along with a dead Lineman I believe. And indeed I was pretty confident that it was going to leave me out of contention, yet 3 wins followed, largely due to Nuffle I must admit.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
humies work good out of the box. i would maybe trade a reroll for an apo though. nothing like losing a blitzer or ogre 1st game! once developed humans can get away with 3 rerolls too.

ideally u would want to play a few games though. a mb blitzer, guard on a blitzer/ogre, kick on a lino, all really improve the team.

FAButzke

Veteran
Country Flag
...and almost all had a single failed die roll that would have gave me the win (a failed GFI in the endzone for example).

Don't you hate those???
When I GFI I always have this single thought on my mind:

"This SOB is going down, is going to get killed and the ball is going to scatter all the way to my half of the pitch right beside an opponent with surehands"

Never fails...the premonition.

If "negative thoughts" attract negative things, then BB is the game for positive people... :D

Tergara

Star Player
Country Flag
That might explains my sometimes insane moves with my team. I am a bashy risktaker. I love to knock people over then toss a pass to the guy on the other side of the field.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Since I couldn't find the "humor" thread, I figured I could use this thread to show an illustration about how humans play bash - or what happens when rookie humans play norse/dwarves. :p

pvp20100909.png

Sure, he doesn't call it bloodbowl, but I think it is pretty clear what is going on ;)
(Link if piccy doesn't work: PVP - First and d20 )

Status
Not open for further replies.