Cyanide Rusty needs You!

Rusty

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I'm planning on joining the Sturm von Stahl league for the next season (or else one of the pre-season tournaments, or else joining the waiting list). The problem is that I have far too many ideas for teams/races/themes swimming around in my head and it's hard to narrow them down. This is where you can help – using this thread to talk me into, or out of, choosing whichever team you think I should, or shouldn't, play would be tremendously useful!

The choices:

The Blight Fantastic (Skaven)
Pros:
Skaven are my favourite race
Nice team name/theme (players are named after epidemic diseases)
Cons:
SvS is apparently very violent. Skaven will die even quicker than usual
Not a great depth of player names, so they'll have to be reused a lot

The Sartosa Family (Human)
Pros:
Nice Mafia-style theme (Sartosa is a city on the Warhammer world's equivalent of Sicily)
Only played Humans 3 or 4 times, so they'll be new
Cons:
Only played Humans 3 or 4 times, so I'll be pretty bad with them
Humans aren't exactly an exciting prospect

Dis Degenerates (Chaos)
Pros:
My favourite theme ever, based on Dante's Inferno and the sinners/demons therein
Huge supply of player names
Chaos are fun to play (eventually) and mutations are awesome
Cons:
The stigma of being a Chaos coach, even when you don't go the mass-CPOMB route
Remake of the Dis Demons in CTA, rather than a brand new theme

The Sweet Nightmares (Dark Elf)
Pros:
Dark Elves are really fun to play
Can reuse Kraeth Darkshine as a reporter/commentator/coach for match reports (okay, this is a big pro)
Cons:
Everyone and their dog plays Dark Elves these days
Not a great theme... in fact barely a theme at all, I only have a vague idea about player names
(An alternative is remaking K.O. Corral from CTA, who have a Wild West theme... but see above for remakes)

Memento Mortus (Necromantic)
Pros:
Necros are possibly my second favourite race
Cool theme with Latin player names (“memento mortus” is a play on play on “memento mori” and means “remember we are dead” unless my dodgy Latin has failed me...)
Cons:
Remake of an old/awesome TT team, and if this iteration isn't as good I'll get sad...

Necrotising Fasciitists (Nurgle)
Pros:
Cool theme, with players named after infectious bacteria
No one ever seems to blog about Nurgle
Cons:
Yet another remake...
Same CPOMB stigma as Chaos

I think that's all for now. There are other ideas for team names (Smacked Orc is possibly my favourite) but they're not fleshed out and I think those above are the main contenders.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Hmm, some pretty good themes. I really don't know much about SVS other than it is highly "in character" as far as I'm aware - which should suit your tastes given your Courier output.

As to the more violence, perhaps - more than Crunch Cup I'd imagine, but not sure about OCC (we have fouling and killing awards in OCC so its encouraged there too).

Overall I'd suggest probably the Skaven or Chaos, as they seem to me to be the ones you will most enjoy. Of those, Chaos will survive better and can be built very flexibly, and to be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about the stigma, especially if your not intending on spamming massive quantities of Claw-MB-PO.

They are very different styles though, Skaven have the players and skills to get some early wins but risk getting battered in the long run, Chaos really will lose a lot of early games and need a long term perspective.

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I'd have to say Skaven or Necromantic. Skaven can be violent too, just gotta play them glass cannon style. After all, the best way not to get hit with skaven is to knock your opponent on their back. :D

G20

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
What's not exciting about humans? It's fun to win with a team that many players consider no good. Being competent at every aspect of the game means being able to vary game plans from game to game. Anyway, pick any of them but chaos. Chaos are just cheesy.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
What's not exciting about humans? It's fun to win with a team that many players consider no good. Being competent at every aspect of the game means being able to vary game plans from game to game. Anyway, pick any of them but chaos. Chaos are just cheesy.

While I agree on Humans, I have a blast with them even as Underdogs, I wouldn't say Chaos are cheesy, just that they can easily be made in a cheesy manner, and most coaches lack the imagination and vision to do anything more creative or subtle with them.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
How about some vampires? :p

SorroW

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I would go with Skaven. They rock! And as your fav race, they deserves to be played.

Also. Kicking concept!

/SorroW

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
If you are supposed to write reports then Dark Elves it should be.

And if there are many dark elves you can let your reporter explain why your Dark Elves should be the bestest of them all. :D

Barmution

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Barmution
Country Flag
Go with Skaven or Necro if that's your favourite teams. Always follow your heart, except when it's crushed by a series of 1s and horrible injures.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Sturm von Stahl is a fun league. One of my dark elf teams qualified to play in Div 1 there after winning a BBATTL major tournament a couple of seasons ago. Unfortunately I had to drop out in the quarter final of the play-offs at the end of the season though when my graphics card went on the blink and kept crashing randomly during every BB match.

I would like to play another season there one day with that team when I find the time for it. They like to make out that the league is extremely bashy, but in reality it's no more bashy than a league like the OCC.

as for your teams I vote for skaven!

Rusty

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks for all the replies, everybody. I've narrowed it down to either Skaven or Dark Elves. The former is slightly more fun to play, the latter slightly more fun to write about and report on. The next season sign up has just started so I'll need to choose soon.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Well, you could always impress Kareth into writing about the Skaven ("Why am I doing this again? Oh, poison antidote, yes, that's right") and see how the first season goes that way.