1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samba Action Calculator

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by danton, Nov 7, 2012.

1. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Samba Action Calculator (iOS version)

I'm sure many of you are already familiar with elyoukey's web application, which helps you to calculate the probability of making various BB dice roll sequences: Samba Action Calculator

A while ago I asked elyoukey if he was ok with me making a native version of it for iOS devices, as I wanted to learn Objective C and thought it would be a good project for learning a new language, while also producing a useful free tool for the BB community. A short while ago, Apple approved it and you can now find it in the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/samba-action-calculator/id574482173?ls=1&mt=8

It's a Universal App, which means that it runs on iPhones, iPods and iPads and the interface for the iPad takes advantage of the increased screen size:

[​IMG]

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Most impressive! Will install soon.

3. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    that's really cool.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Damn I might have to get an Apple product then:p

5. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Awesome! Downloaded it now..

/SorroW

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys! For those that download it, please let me know of any suggestions or feedback that you might have. It's also interesting for me to know what devices you are using it on, because the iPad interface is very different to the iPhone / iPod one due to the screen sizes.

It's basically supposed to do what the original web based Samba Calculator does, so it would be useful to know if you find it as easy to use as that, better or worse in any way, etc.

7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
  8. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Good to know there is an Android one out there already. I'd be interested to know how my one compares to it in terms of the usability and the interface. One of the advantages of universal Apps on the iOS platform is that the same App can have a completely different interface for different devices, which is not something that the Android platform supports.

Tablet apps on Android, are basically just phone apps that are blown up in size, while iOS tablet apps can be much more customized to take advantage of the extra screen size.

9. Coach

Country Flag:
    I don't believe that is true and just apple marketing nonsense. You can design apps for android that scale up for different screen sizes. I don't believe that one will because it was released before there even were tablets, it will just stretch out though so should still work.

If designers want to though they can change the appearance of the same app as you've done for the idevices. Android apps can detect what device you are using and display the required version all from the same single app. This sounds like what you've done, though I understand there are also other apps for iOS that are separate versions.

For example from the guidelines: http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/quality/tablet.html

I should hopefully be getting a free Nexus 7 by the end of the year so I'll be able to compare.

10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I tested that one a year back, and found it had horrible problems, or as my review said:

"Great idea, but it can't count. Also using too few decimal points when calculating, giving compound errors when rolling series of dice."

It had serious problems handling skill rerolls, meaning if I did a reroll-less attempt of 2+ gfi then 2+ pass (with skill) I'd have more than 86% success chance for that. (94,5% according to another review) If I wrote them the other way around I think it would do correctly, but that forces me to perform logic gymnastics just to make it work, meaning I might as well approximate the lot myself.
    (It's been upgraded from 0.2.9 which I had to 0.6 now, so it might have been fixed by now)

11. Coach

Country Flag:
    Ah, I've not checked it for that kind of thing, think it was mostly the blocking choices I've used it for and even then not a great deal. That's somewhat disappointing.

All the more reason for Danton to do an android port!

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I'm not about to go and learn to program in Java, just so that I can do an Android port! ;)

From what I can read in the Android technical documentation, you can adapt your app for a wide variety of screen sizes and resolutions (very necessary given that Android runs on a very broad array of devices), but I don't think you get the same flexibility that an iOS universal app gives you.

Recent versions of the iOS SDK come with an amazing feature called "Story Boarding", which lets you graphically lay out your apps screens and connect the navigation flow, as if you were laying out a traditional movie story board. Universal apps have 2 story boards - one for iPhone / iPod and one for iPad, so your app can not only have a completely different UI for each version, it can be a completely different app! Once a user downloads or purchases that app, then they can use it on any of the iOS devices.

Just looked at the stats for the first day in the store and it tells me that 53 people downloaded the app, although 9 of those people were in China! :)confused:). If anyone has any feedback or suggestions I would very much appreciate it. Also if anyone is using it on both their iPhone and iPad it would be interesting to know how the two experiences compare. Thanks!

13. Coach

Country Flag:
    I guess posting about it on all the big national Blood Bowl forums aimed at tabletop players would be best (if you haven't already)

So France Blood Bowl, BB Foro • Página principal (spain), BB Forum (italy), ZlurpeeBowl.com - Index page (USA)

Also contact JonnyP from Zlurpcast as he is the NAF media officier and he can put it in the next NAF newsletter, they may even mention it on the Zlurpcast if you ask nicely.

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, have posted it in a few places, but should probably post it in more. I did also contact Chance of Three Die Block and he says he'll mention it on their next podcast, so that should help a bit.

15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys, just to let you know that I put out a small update to the App that fixes a couple of very minor bugs. If anyone else has any comments or feedback regarding the App I would very much appreciate hearing it. Cheers.

16. Garrick

Garrick New Member

Country Flag:
    I would really like to download this app to my iPhone but am struggling to find a download button on Samba Action Calculator on the App Store page, is it still available for download and if so am I just being thick?

17. reroll

reroll New Member

Country Flag:
    You are right Garrick - it says “The developer of this app needs to update it to work with iOS 11”

18. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    No longer available it seems.
    Danton - get cracking ;)