1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Dungeonbowl and Variants' started by Nikolai II, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yes it is true, the wizards are hooked on Dungeon Bowl and once again they will sponsor trips to their underground battlefields. So now is the time to sign up and be ready for random traps, random behavior and random deaths.

Like last time; Underdog get to choose the map being used, must be an official map. First there will be a round robin, then some will qualify for a play off and at last we will have a winner:D

--

The league will probably start at the beginning of October, to not collide with the Stunty Crunch Cup that just started. (Dungeonbowl games ain't much time-consuming though. Fewer players and never more than one drive, even if it can be a fairly long one)

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Is it new teams or can I use my old one?

3. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Since any team can pretty much beat any team, I think we should be able to keep the old teams and still be fair to any newcomers. So current plan is to allow historical teams as well. (They ain't that many games ahead anyway).

Six team minimum to get the league running.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    What is your take on the problem with AV9 standfirm and just wait for the opponents team to zap out first if you are lucky enough to get a few cas more than your opponent?

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Hmm.. I've only had one game where that was close to happening, but I've had a couple where SF ended up being way to useful, mostly due to the narrow paths.

And while one can play a team with wardancers or get some juggernaut (star player or not) I suppose the best way could be to limit arena choices to three or four pretty open dungons, so there ain't too many chokepoints. Perhaps even build a special BBT dungeon?

(As long as one can try to dodge past them without falling out of the game, there's still hope) (And if they can build walls over all your approaches, they have enough numbers advantage that they could do it even without AV9SF)

One final option could be to always go for rookie teams, sure.

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    From what I remember there is one dungeon where a couple of SF guys can totally block up the path to the endzone.
    The rest all seemed OK.

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    There are several, IIRC, depending upon how many constitute "a couple", but there are also a bunch that should work out nicely.

By the way, @Netsmurf , no trust in the "underdog decides" idea? (Of course, the underdog might be below with 10 TV and be the one with all the SF guys..)

8. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    I have Dungeon Bowl, but had never really played. Consider me as a very strong "maybe".

9. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'd like to give dungeonbowl a go too

10. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I will play

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    So that's five potentials so far. Looks like this might possibly happen.

I'll look through the available dungeons before final calls, and I expect to list 4-6 "legit" ones, as in "multiple paths, and three squares wide in most places, maybe some occasional two" to make it more available for AG4 dodging/leaping or stunty/titchy runs, so that there's at least some way to get around the SF crowds. The "multiple paths" one will probably be the biggest issue, but I remember at least two valid courts, and worst case I'll have to start designing some of my own. :p

12. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    How often will you have matches, and how many matches total for the season? I have the DungeonBowl Knockout Edition on Steam but I've never actually played it (and don't even know the dungeonbowl rules). But I might be interested in learning the hard way.

13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I think the last tourney we had was 1 match every 2 weeks and you played everyone once.
    If Nik is thinking of the same again and there are around 6 of us it should finish in December.

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Maybe ten day weeks then, but basically that. Most important rule change is that you only have one drive so Secret Weapon is a skill that doesn't mean anything. ;)

15. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    So, anyone would be up for a friendly match? I figure I need to get my feet wet and see what the game is all about after all.
    Who would like to play with a n00b and show the ropes?

Also, what would be the best/safest roster to start with?

16. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I can give you a game at the weekend or before 21:00 GMT most evenings.
    It has been a while since I played though so I will need to remember everything as well.

As for rosters the Deathroller is way better than anything else as there is only 1 drive.
    The rest are fairly even though from memory the human/halfling one is the worst.
    Also the space is restricted so it is harder to get assists and the drives are long so rerolls are less use.
    As a result I tend to take as many expensive players as I can and have few rerolls/lineman with stunty making up the numbers as they can dodge around to lend the assist and block off squares so you can push players into pits.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The human halfling one has plenty of wood elves too, no? That one is great - but you need to play for speed, while the other teams can remain more thoughtful.

Rerolls are 50k for all teams - even after team creation, so no need to start with a lot.

18. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    I've only just noticed these relatively fresh postings in the cobwebbed & dusty DB sub-forum.
    I could probably chuck a team in, perhaps my previous one, to help pad out the numbers.

19. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Darn, I nearly forgot about it! Going to install it now and make a team.

20. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Why is it happening, are we doing this?