1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill advice in Dungeonbowl

Discussion in 'Dungeonbowl and Variants' started by Nikolai II, May 4, 2013.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    So, Blood and Iron Inc. actually manages to produce a skillup after their second game.

Chaos Dwarf Blocker gets the MVP for having caused the teams first (and so far only) casualty.

Normally Guard is an easy first pick, but in DB the game seems to quickly devolve into a series of separate fights, so MB might be better to beat people up with.

On the other hand DB is also a lot about placement and about pushing people into things (traps, teleporters) so Stand Firm suddenly seems like a sensible first pick..

Any opinions?

2. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    A Guard can come in really useful in a massed fight, but you need to get him there first.

Mighty Blow is luck-based so results vary.

Stand Firm prevents progress down a corridor and depitching and is often very useful, sometimes essential.

It's mostly a question of personal style or philosophy, I feel. All have their uses, some are more finicky to use well.

3. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, even grab might make sense for the positioning aspect, even if it is probably more useful on ST4 fellows.

4. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    Grab also cancels the Side Step skill which many squishy players take to protect them on the pit edges. It's certainly worth considering especially once the league players start skilling up.

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Right, back for more development advice.

Team is:
    2 Bulls - one rolled a double five for skillup
    4 Dwarf Blockers - one with stand firm
    4 Orc Blitzers - one with guard, one with a normal skillup
    1 Goblin
    2 Snotlings
    4RR - Apo - 120 k

It's leaning towards "Block on bull, buy a black ork" but the blitzer could get guard, frenzy or even stand firm. (Or something else)

6. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    I won't comment due to massive conflict of interest as your next match is against me :). Even I myself wouldn't trust my advice in this situation.

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Block or Break Tackle on the Bull.
    Guard or Grab on the blitzer.

Frenzy allows more surfing opportunities but can also leave you in an awful position.
    Grab lets you set up the surfing chances without the bad positioning.

8. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Two heads is a solid pick for a Gutter runner:powdodge:

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Skilled up a goblin and a rookie bull, rolled +AG and normal - only the wrong way around :(

So I guess block on the bull, since I have plenty of carriers, and sidestep on the goblin to make him a "bigger snotling"?

10. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    Why not the +AG on the goblin and enjoy the easier dodging / ball snatching while he lasts? The +20 extra TV is no biggie in a league format and you'll lose him soon enough.

Bull block is a no-brainer like any ST4er, I feel.

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Because I rolled the +AG on the Bull :(

12. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    Ah, ok, sorry, I badly misinterpreted the "wrong way around" bit. Now I understand your question a lot better :).

Yeah, the +AG on the Bull feels very much like a waste of TV. Take it and hope for another +AG :p?

Sidestep is good on the goblin as it keeps him from getting depitched and keeps him annoying a marked player before getting hurt.

13. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Orc Blitzer rolls a 6+4.

Am I right in thinking I should just ignore the MV and get a normal skill such as Guard or SF?

14. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    Do you feel your team is too slow as it is? The +10 TV extra means nothing in a league so take the move if you feel it's useful for your playing style. Ignoring it is not a bad option either, IMHO.

15. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    hmm I would take +MA over Guard given the nature of the running around in a tight dungeon makes it hard to take advantage of guard. Stand firm is always nice but then again speed kills:powdodge:

16. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    so, having dabbled briefly in dungeonbowl, i'm wondering why any team with access to dwarven players would ever NOT take a deathroller, since secret weapons don't leave? I get that no-hands isn't desirable, but a deathroller can single-handedly hold up 2-3 opposing players.

17. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Well I do think that our dwarf coach have just gotten himself a deathroller:powdodge:

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Similarly goblin secret weapons are great, since they can get sent out KO/BH (fairly often due to stunty, low AV and special rules) and still get back in again.

19. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    Regen is cool too....doh he's injuried! Woohoo he's regened! Then warps back in the dungeon

20. Reed

Reed Member

Country Flag:
    If they want more of a challenge? If they don't like winning?

To me Death Roller is the strongest player in Dungeonbowl together with War Dancers. No hands isn't an issue, there are other players for ball handling. ST7 and Break Tackle make DR an amazingly mobile player and able to break almost any deadlock.

Together with all the other scrumptious skills the player has it's kind of ridiculous how strong DR is in Dungeonbowl. OP and easy mode, really.