1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice II

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Since the first thread went past fifty pages, here's a new thread to ask about what skill upgrade would be most useful for your player.

Minimum information is of course what the player is (race, position) and which skill (s)he already has, but giving some general idea about the rest of your team and the environment you are playing in (which league) can also be useful.

Link to old thread: http://bbtactics.com/forums/skill-allocation-advice-t759/

2. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    I guess I will kick it off.

I had two vamps make Veteran on OCC MD1. the support player with blodge that has been around forever accidentally killed a killer and was rewarded with a 10. The block/MB player took Pile One.

Today the POMB vamp scored his first points while the MA vamp leveled again. not a stat so I am thinking SS, Pro or Tackle since I only have two tackle pieces. though they are full of awesome goodness these tackle pieces.

I am leaning toward SS so he stays a true scoring machine but I have two SS players and only one pro to cut down on the lust. My thought is that on offence he will be using the team roll if he can score and pro is not as useful as it is on support players. any skills I am overlooking?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Sidestep could make him a some what reliable one turner, note the some what:powdodge: do you have any diving tackle or guard?

4. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    MA7 is not precisely top notch speed for a 1 turner... :D Silly one, but if you want him to have "reach" then what about Sure Feet? (possibly followed by Sprint next?) Anything that can save Vamps some RR when scoring is good. I agree that a scorer should not be relying on Pro.

Side Step is an all around reliable skill and a safe bet that will be useful in many occasions other than just scoring though.

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Pro is good if he has to make breakaway scores without a thrall in tow. If you lost the RR in getting the ball to him, it still makes him better at both catching and avoiding bloodlust to run it in.

6. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    This is why my +MA vamp has pro in her future however this likely will be after SS. Inevitably when two turning the vamp wont have a thrall to bite as thralls will struggle to keep up.

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    I´m not an expert in Vamps, but if I were I would probably do my utmost (in terms of skill development) not to have to rely on Pro to reroll stuff on scoring moves methinks.

8. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The way I see it, vampires rarely get to pick and choose when they are in a hurry.. ;)

9. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    I do have a diving tackle player complete with stand firm and jump up. I have a guard thrall and guard doesn't fit my play style with vampires.

Four pushes to one turn with SS is doable but I just like to make sure I can move 6 then 7 for the safe two turn score. Thralls get to the goal line with no problem, they aren't fast food, but fast enough. That's vampire comedy gold, kids, doesn't get any better than that.

If I lose the rr getting it to him I just need to roll lust, if there is lust and no thrall you always have a plan B negative. Comedy gold.

I think I am leaning toward SS and then maybe tackle or pro on another three games. Well I don't know who I play yet, maybe 4 games. I just cursed him to death, didn't I?

10. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    So my killer on my norse team, Sid Vicious rolled doubles....

He has the standard Frenzy, Block, JU on berserkers, plus MB, PO, and tackle. He regularly gets more CAS per game than any other player on the team, sometimes more than every player combined.

I was leaning towards Juggs before the double, but i don't know if the double is important enough to actually use! He already has JU, and he's rarely on his feet enough for dodge or guard or SF or anything.

The second problem is what to take on the following level if i take juggernaut and he rolls another normal skill (he averages nearly 5 SPP a game now, so it probably won't be too long, as he's only 20 SPP away!)?

11. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    Pro would help with both JU and Frenzy for those situations where you'd like a better roll but it's not a turnover. To follow it up (as if he'll live that long), Dauntless also has good synergy.

12. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    Those are both normal rolls. DT so that they can't get away from you!

13. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    On a Zerk you can take whatever you like after MB/PO/Tackle/Juggernaut/Dauntless. Those are mandatory. Dauntless is last just in case on the way there you roll the only double you take, sixes.

14. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    DT doesn't work well with a player who Piles On constantly.

15. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    I wouldn't mind dodge for some survivability. It'll be sad when he dies.... soon. Diving Tackle and then Stand Firm would be pretty cool too as it would be very annoying to the many (and I mean many) elves in the CC. It's not like you have to pile on EVERY turn, especially against elves where one more downed player can get you out of position.

16. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I'd be tempted to ignore the double. If you do want to take it then Side Step could be interesting. Of course Stand Firm serves a similar purpose, though SS has a couple of advantages over SF for a player like this.

For starters it's often harder to surf a player with SS than one with SF. Stand Firm is straight up countered by Juggernaut on a blitz, but Frenzy players can't take Grab, so it's harder to surf an SS player, unless he happens to be right up against the sideline and surrounded by lots of bodies. Of course Juggernaut is not taken that often, but at least SS will still offer sideline protection when you face some juggs, while Grab is harder to counter SS with.

SS is also useful for moving to a good spot to block, blitz, or use jump up from next turn and it's a combo that witch elves benefit from greatly. If you give him Fend at 76 then he has some decent protection, something that most berserkers lack! ;)

17. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    True but if he, heaven forbidn fails to knock them down then he makes it harder for them to get away on their turn. Or maybe he was out of position for the blitz so he's getting used to mark this turn.

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I read over at OCC about someone advocating dodge on all doubles for norse, to increase survivability and through it pitch control and killyness.

19. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    i love the suggestions...thanks to Doomy for mentioning pro and dauntless, i can't believe i forgot all about them.

SF/SS aren't a great option for me. I'm playing norse at a higher TV already than they're "supposed" to be good at, so i need to make all my skill choices with a view to the overall team in order to keep them competitive (if each skill is doing something all the time, or most of the time, i can compete with better statted teams). To that end, i already have a SF Ulfwerener for surfing, as well as a Blodge/SS/DT runner (the other one completes the SS part at 31 SPP) for sideline action. If i DO use Sid to surf with Juggernaut, its a blitz anyways so i'm either desperate and using both GFIs to hit him anyways, or i'll have the movement to get away after the hit.

Dodge on norse is terribly unappealing to me due to the necessity of guard on the team. All the strength access players tend to have, well, better things to do then stand around providing guard...i already have one zerker with only guard and he's not gained a single SPP since he hit 6 on my 3rd ever game. I've been lucky enough to roll doubles on linos twice (in a row!) for guard, and once more on my thrower for guard, so i'm already committed there. My 2 dodging runners are enough for me, and maybe eventually the MB wolf will get BT/Dodge, but i'm not holding my breath.

DT is just way too risky...Sid is the juiciest target on my team....period. ST3 and AV7 and his killing potential is massive. If he can be hit, he will be, pretty much no question about it. Using him to mark is asking him to die. If i fail the block (on a :Bothdown: for example) i either have to grit my teeth and take the hit, or i move guard players up around him afterwards to make a hit as undesirable as possible. Dodge has a similar problem....if i need to use it, i'm already playing riskier with my most valuable AV7 piece than i should.

I will end up taking juggernaut i think, secure in the knowledge that i have pro or dauntless to follow it up with....if he lives that long. Thanks all for the suggestions, i promise i did take time to consider each one (and honestly hadn't even THOUGHT of DT before this!)

20. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    The tale of my assassin continues. Double on first skill, multiblock. Just levelled up again... and rolled double 4s.

While I'm tempted to grab Guard (which'll give me two guards with one of my linos), I'd been planning to get some defensive boosts... thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.