1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill allocation advice II

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Well due to popular opinion I went with Block, a bit boring but as Dionysian said, I don't really want to lock in to a dedicated ball handler yet.

2. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Ya, I'm not sure having two skills without block or wrestle would work. A beastman can go down any path with blodge. One of the nice things about Chaos is you can just start throwing block on everyone and then develop the way your team needs once they hit the next level.

I'd try to work in a wrackle one as well...

3. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    I have two lineorcs who stand on the LOS with the troll on defense. I was thinking of trying wrestle on one and DP on the other, but would two DPs tend to be more effective more of the time? Thanks.

4. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    DP on the LOS is 20k TV wasted on the LOS, 2 DP? 40k wasted

5. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    But that 20k wasted is liable to stand up and foul whatever the troll just knocked down. Assuming he got knocked down in the first place, which doesn't always happen. Besides where else is he going to fit DP in on defense?

Note I'm not the best player so my advice is suspect. Also I may be to keen on fouling.

6. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    and i'm opposed to gratuitous fouling :rolleyes:

7. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I use and like two DP lineorcs on the LOS. Not a waste - orcs don't go squish easily.

Also fouling is never gratuitous

8. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    I don't know about that Diomysian.

gra·tu·i·tous

1.uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted."gratuitous candy giving"

2. given or done free of charge.

That second definition I found sounds like gratuitous fouling to me. :D

9. pupkinus

pupkinus Member

Country Flag:
    HiE wlodge cather doubles

Dear all,

Here's my HiE team: http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManage...spx?rosterId=1528423&leagueId=8250&lang=en-US

and it is going to have a string of 6-7 matches against bash sides like chaos, chaos, khemri, necros, ogres.

My most developed catcher, who now has wrestle+dodge rolled a double.

I am torn between:

1. Guard. I only have one guard on the team. When trying to score, it will be handy for helping blitzing him free. On defense, it could help with getting the ball from the BC, with the catcher acting in a support role while one of the blitzers is doing the blitz.

2. NoS. This will make him a developed ProElf catcher, meaning easier TDs, but I don't think that I really need to bolster my attack, I think scoring is not a problem for HiElves. Defending and staying alive is a problem.

3. Boring option: side step - better positioning, safe on the sidelines, annoying if used to mark someone (although inadvisable due to AV7)

4. Boring option #2: fend - makes marking difficult, cancels frenzy, prevents piling on - excellent for survivability.

5. Crazy option: Leap. Good for ballhunting and for doing the crazy BS plays elves are famous for. Negatives: he is going to die on the first failed 3+ roll :D

Any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  10. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    He's going to be doing a lot of the blitzing so Mighty Blow could work, follow up with Tackle.

Otherwise Guard. You can never have too much Guard.

11. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hopefully you'll get responses to this from some of the top elven coaches, as I'm kinda curious about the consensus myself. I would auto-take Guard because it's just soooo damn good for elves, but I'm coming around to the viewpoint that you should try to fit a MB in somewhere to complement the guards.

12. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    It's a tough call since you only have one other guard on the team. Both my Dark Elf team here and my High Elf team in OCC have three guards and one mighty blow which is a real treat! Some guard is nice but it can be less useful when you're up against Chaos Warriors, Blorks, Tomb Guardians etc. that have more ST and guard. This is also an AV7 piece that you really don't want to have placed next to another. I think I'm inclined to take MB on him and make him your blitzer. Removing a player or two can really make defense a whole lot easier.

But you still can't go wrong with guard :D

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I play wood elves a lot. What is this about "not wanting guard on an AV 7 piece" you are talking about? :p

Question is easy - is this a (the?) designated blitzer? Then MB, else guard.

Guard guard guard.

And more guard.

14. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Skill advice question for my necro journeymen, the Sesame Creeps, currently competing in the Crunched Cup.

My Block\MB wolf has rolled a normal skill, but I'm not sure whether to go offensive or defensive.
    Offensive would be Tackle or Dauntless, while defensive options are Dodge or SS.

My only reservation about Tackle is we already have 2x MB\Tackle\Guard wights, and a Wrackle\SS ghoul.
    Dauntless would be great to get his claws into some stronger well-armour opponents... so long as there are any.
    Dodge would obviously give him some added protection and freedom.
    SS is handy for positioning and anti-surf, but i'd probably favour taking Dodge before it.

15. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    I do like dodge for defensive/survivability reasons, but also for getting away if that second frenzy blitz doesn't get a knockdown and you're next to some monster that you really don't want to be next to (and I assume that's who you would like to blitz with your killer)! I'd go dauntless next and leave the dodge/SS for the other wolf. Nothing better than ripping up Blorks, Nurgle and Chaos Warriors with MB/Claw wolves

16. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Kaz. Personally I like to snipe with my wolves. If you have dodge it opens up more claw/MB attack options as you can formulate an escape plan to get your wolf back to safety if frenzy pulls you close to someone you don't want hitting you next turn! I would prioritize that over side-step. You already have the important double, so keep him alive a bit longer and he'll be wracking up the SPP!

17. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Thanks gents, Dodge followed by Dauntless sounds pretty good to me, although I'll leave AG3 dodging to only desperate situations. :)

18. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I agree with the consensus - Dodge will help him live longer and run when he fails to knock down the blitz target. If your wolf had both MB and PO, I would advocate Jump Up over Dodge, but as things stand, I think Dodge is the clear winner. It will also make him a solid ball carrying option should you need to go that route.

19. pupkinus

pupkinus Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks everyone!!

Took MB on my HiE catcher.

20. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I think for a wolf Juggernaut out strips PO following MB on doubles, I would also consider a Blodge SS, Tackle, Shadowing, Diving Tackle combination if you were looking for something slightly different but very useful.

crimsonsun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.