1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice III

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Since the second thread has also gone past a thousand replies, here's a new thread to ask about what skill upgrade would be most useful for your player.

Minimum information is of course what the player is (race, position) and which skill (s)he already has, but giving some general idea about the rest of your team and the environment you are playing in (which league/which kind of league) can also be useful for getting good advice.

Link to old threads:
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/skill-allocation-advice-t759/
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/skill-allocation-advice-ii-t3098/

2. Merihim

Merihim Member

Cyanide Username:
    Merihim
    Country Flag:
    Just played Street for MD4 S5.

Despite losing an MA 8 block accurate thrower,

My SS Block Gaurd GR has rolled snake eyes. Not sure what juicy treat to take on him next, and if it should be a mutation or just an off catagory skill.

Thoughts?

3. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    hornshornshorns (DP) horns

4. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Maybe Two heads?

It makes 1ttd easier (where guard helps, too, in getting the necessary 2d blocks, and SS is good anyway), plus it helps getting the guard where it is needed.

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Two heads is probably best, to get the guard in to where you want it (and helps on oneturning, which sidestep makes easy anyway)

Foul Appearance is the outlier pick, since he will go in and mark up people a lot to get his guard in, but unless you already have a move 10 ag 5 runner then two heads is probably better.

6. Merihim

Merihim Member

Cyanide Username:
    Merihim
    Country Flag:
    Unfortunately my MA 10 Sprinter was maimed and forcibly retired. I was thinking Two heads as well.

7. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    Two Heads would be my pick, for the reasons above.

Though I could see an argument made for Big Hand or Extra Arm if you want to go after the ball with him more often. As in, picking it up when you aren't able to knock everyone else off the ball first.

8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah you could give big hand a go, 20p swears by it.

9. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Rookie zombie on my Big Crunch Undead team took the mvp in his first two games and then rolled 6+6 on his skill-up. I guess the only choice is take the Str or Guard. The team already has 7 guards with a rookie mummy bound to pick it up soon, so I guess he's taking the the Str, unless someone can convince me it's too bloaty on a zombie?

10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like his first step towards becoming a mummy..

11. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I think the +ST is worth it on a Zombie. I've got one on my BC Necro team as well, and though I was a little hesitant at first, I'm starting to like him quite a lot. He requires more dedication to take down, and that's all I ask of a Zombie: draw attention away. With ST4, he's much better at it than with ST3.

12. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    @danton
    I suppose another 'annoying' option for 20k less could be SF, but I think I'd probably take the +ST too.

13. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Pixel Mafia have two level ups I need a bit of help with.

Here's the team (there's a dead blitzer to be replaced before you mention it ;) ):
    [​IMG]

Lineman #14 Sir Arthur has rolled 6+4:
    My only Dirty Player, so I guess I ignore the +MA or +AV for bloat reasons.
    I guess the obvious one is more Fend?
    Is a 3rd skill on a Dirty Player already too bloaty?

Blitzer #6 Solid Snake has rolled a normal skill:
    Tackle goes well will the MB, although we have 4 tacklers already.
    Stand Firm may reduce him as a target slightly because if he doesn't go down he's next to you with MB.
    Dauntless & Strip Ball are other traditional 'blitzer' picks.

Or, do I lean towards the AG5 aspect of his stats. In a pinch the thrower can hand off to him and he currently throw on 2+2+3+4+. Strong Arm would make that 2+2+2+3+. Too marginal?

Remaining matches this season are 2x Orc, Nurgle, Ogre, Uwd.

14. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think Strong Arm is a non-starter on a human Blitzer, even an Agi 5 one. What you'd really want, imo, is to give him either Dodge or Leap, but you need doubles for that, so it ain't happening. With that in mind, you know what I am going to say. Tackle. Yep - helps MB, helps marking, helps bringing down ball-carriers if you decide to cage-dodge. SF would be useful as well, but my hesitation is that almost by its very nature SF requires you to be in base contact to get mileage out of it, and being in base contact won't do any favors to Solid Snake's life expectancy. Similarly, I wouldn't take Piling On, because of Guard. Strip Ball is a great skill that almost never gets used unless you have Leap to go with it. Otherwise, without Leap or Dodge, it's still a 4+ roll to get into a cage, even with Agi 5, and assuming the very basic cage setup (without extra layers). Dauntless would be much better on Max Payne, imo.

Anyway, that's just my thinking. As boring as it sounds, I would probably take Tackle, but SF is not wrong either, and helps him double as a receiver - he can stand on the sideline without worrying about being surfed, and he can never be pushed out of scoring range, except by a Juggs blitz.

P.S. Also, for what it's worth, both Orcs and Uwd are very likely to have Sure Hands carriers. Nurgle maybe (depending on how the Pests are developed), and Ogres almost certainly not.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  15. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    AG5 Blitzer? I'd still go with Tackle. Yes yes, it's dull and boring and you've got 4 already. But it's one of those skills which you can't really have enough of. That said, if you plan on having Solid as a receiver but also cage-corner, Stand Firm will work fine. So either of those two would be my choice, with a first pick of Tackle.

As for your Dirty Player, he's kind of bloaty with that 3rd skill, but since you have yet to get Crash Bandicoot a skill, I'd give Sir Arthur Fend and then cut and replace him when Crash gets a skill and takes DP (ignoring doubles/ stats).

16. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I'm going to present a different view on both pieces, Ging, to make it easier for you :)

Blitzer: I like Stand Firm, because it allows you to mark on the sidelines with him, giving you an opportunity to apply pressure if you get caught on the sides. And he can't get "marked out" there easily, either, because with AG5, he can just dodge out through tackle zones if the action shifts elsewhere again.

DP Lineman: I really like +MA for this piece. First of all, setting up the most juicy gang fouls often requires a lot of movement, and I have personally often been in the situation that I needed GFIs in the end with the fouler, in order to get the most assists. Secondly, he's got Wrestle, which means he spends an above average time on the ground, so +MA again increases his fouling radius a bit. I don't think it's bloaty if it gets the job done ;)

17. Durango

Durango New Member

Country Flag:
    Hello,

I'm playing a human team in a private league, with 2 games to go, both against vamps + the 2 playoff games with most probably vamps, lizards or necro.

My blitzer leveled up with a normal roll, he already has guard. I was thinking MB, tackle or strip ball. At the moment in the three opposing teams above only one ghoul has sure hands, but I'm not sure if strip ball is that useful on him.

The rest of the team:
    Ogre, guard
    Blitzer, tackle, dodge, MB, (-av)
    Blitzer, +ST, MB
    Blitzer, dodge, guard
    Thrower, +AG, strong arm
    Thrower, block
    Catcher, +MA, block
    Catcher, guard
    Lineman, wrestle
    + 4 rookie linemen

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

18. PimpWizard

PimpWizard Member

Cyanide Username:
    PimpWizard
    Country Flag:
    So I keep rolling doubles on my Big Crunch team - I've had seven players level up and six of them have either got a stat up or a double. I'm now unsure what to take on my Gutter Runners.

The first two levelled up and got +ST and +MV, then the next two levelled up and one got a straightforward double (I gave him Guard) and the other rolled double 5s. So I can either give him +MV or pick any skill.

Opinions? I'd normally definitely pick +MV but I've already got a +MV Gutter Runner who I'm going to give Sprint to next to allow 1-turn touchdowns, then build him normally. Do I actually need more +MV on the team? It almost seems like a waste of a skill at this point. I rarely find myself thinking in a game "if only my players could move further".

I'm leaning towards Guard as it gives good utility given how easily they move around the pitch and I've already got the +ST Gutter Runner to blitz with deep in the enemy half if needs be. Two Gutter Runners with Guard to assist him could make him even more effective.

So would you guys advise two +MV gutter runners on the team or two with Guard? Or something else entirely?

19. Marms

Marms New Member

Country Flag:
    PimpWizard would you go with big hand, so when you +strength and guard GR's, get a 2 dice on the ball carrier you can easy jump in, pick up the ball (in a few tackle zones) and then (hopefully) pass to you're +Mv GR who will run the ball out of there???

20. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ging - the only AG5 aspect I'd consider on your blitzer is sure hands.

Either if it is raining and you play against fast teams - or to capitalize on loose balls. (Or save spilled balls)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.