1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice III

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Thanks both!

In fact the Wood Elves are TV2030ish, and yes, I have a considerable violence related advantage. I just beat TV1800 Pro Elves 2-1 to get to the final, with the same general strategy as Borke suggests. I’m not terribly confident it will work as well against these even more skilled Wood Elves though.

Not definitely sold on PO just in case I bring the team back in a season or three (which is possible as I really do like this team/Underworld generally) – I will regret not having ST4 MB Claw every time I don’t play Elves. But then the next level is only… 10 casualties away?

Will definitely take Wrestle on ST4 Paul Simon though.

2. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    So one of my OCC Tomb Guardians just rolled a Strength increase.. now he does not have block but already has Guard and MB and I have 3 Strength increases on the squad already so its more about making the team too strong to challenge than actually blocking with him.. Not sure on this however I'm not even thinking there is a right choice.

3. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    OCC Nurvana:

Str 4 block pest rolls normal. Surfer, pseudo-warrior, BC, utility?

Other pests:
    Walda: MV7
    Lysa: Block, Tackle
    Yarasha: Block, MB, JU, PO

4. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I take the STR

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    That depends on your plans for the MA7 pest.

Is he going to be your ballcarrier or your safety?

I'd be tempted to make the ST4 the ballcarrier and the MA7 a wrackler.
    If you want the extra MA on the ballcarrier then go the utility route.
    ST3 and horns is good enough for a surfer.

6. Morris1927

Morris1927 New Member

Country Flag:
    Hello All

I've just roll another double on my Kroxigors for the second time. I took block for the first skill and I haven't a clue what to take on the second double.

Any thoughts please?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Pro, Sidestep or Tackle

8. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Forget sidestep as Stand Firm is better on a prehensile tail and that is a normal roll.

I'd take Pro but Tackle or Dodge are also good.

9. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    In a league take Guard Dodge Tackle Pro or Leader depending on personal preference and what else is in the league.
    In MM, Leader by a mile.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  10. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Dodge I reckon. Useful now, only get more useful as he gains regular skills like guard, stand firm and break tackle.

11. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Dodge. By a mile in my opinion. Tackle is useful for hitting things, but Dodge makes him truly great at the one thing a Kroxigor excels at - just stand there and be annoying. Add SF and Guard to that guy, and he becomes a nuisance... with MB, who cannot be gotten rid of, and penalizes you for dodging away :) . Leave Tackles (and hitting) to your Sauri.

12. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    You could consider Diving Tackle if you are in a dodge-heavy league. Together with Prehensile Tail it makes dodging away really dangerous.

Tackle is a compromise between hitting and not letting elves dodge away.

Pro has the advantage of rerolling failed boneheads just as well as normal rerolls.

Dodge is a long term option, most useful once he gets Break Tackle (which could be late since he should get Guard before that and maybe Stand Firm, too). Before BT, dodge is only good for staying upright, which is not so great a challenge with STR 5 in a STR 4 team. Of course it also adds up quite nicely with SF.

So it depends on the league you are in if DT is worth it, otherwise Pro, Dodge and Tackle are all decent choices. I would not say taking a normal skill like Guard or SF is wrong either, since development is slow often for big guys.

13. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    Eh, I'd personally take Pro or Tackle.

Pro is Pro - it's a good out-of-the-box skill on a Big Guy, no matter what kind. Having that back-up option just in case your Krox decides to Bonehead or that "second" reroll if a block doesn't go your way again that turn is something that every coach would love to have on their team.

Tackle is more to stop my favourite tactic - namely feeding the opposing Big Guy a bland replacable player while they focus their attention on lone Saurii or on your Skinks. That or they place a Wrodge player next to the Krox, forcing you to either attempt to get away from them or throw and hope you roll a :pow:.

Dodge is fine, but development on a Big Guy is slow-going at the best of times, and unless you plan to use Break Tackle a heck of a lot you aren't going to get a huge amount of use out of it. And until you actually get Break Tackle, which might not be for quite a while, all it is doing is making your Krox slightly harder to knock down, but most opposing coaches will probably just mark or surround your Krox as opposed to actually hitting it if you have Skinks on the pitch still.

Just my two cents; hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  14. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    I like using the krox to mark two or three other players at the same time, making it quite easy to knock him down - getting blodge on the sucker would make a huge difference.

15. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    It absolutely has to be dodge. I think you would be mad to take anything else.

16. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Pro if you use him a lot for blocking, but dodge guard stand firm is an excellent future career path.

17. Chubberson

Chubberson Member

Cyanide Username:
    Chubberson
    Country Flag:
    I have a rookie with a level pending in Pit Machine's squad, I don't need more guard but some piling on defence in the form of a Dirty Player would be handy. ATM I am tossing up between, MB/Kick and Dirty Player. This season he could really come on quick with the amount of low to average armor about which is my argument for MB. Kick, nice but I can't really take advantage of it. What say you forum??

18. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Take Pass Block!

But seriously - probably MB. I am a fan of skills that are reliable and get used often - you will use MB every time you throw a block successfully, and with tons of AV7 and 8 players in the division, you'll get some mileage out of it. Your hits are already as reliable as it gets, with Block and Tackle for free. I say this as one of the AV8 owners you will face next season :) - MB is one of my least favorite skills to see on the opposing team.

P.S. Perhaps a bit out-of-the box suggestion, but you could also consider giving him SF. Since Dodge isn't readily available, he is already as resistant to hits as he is going to get, and nothing derails an elf drive faster than a failed hit against a SF player guarding the sideline (and now your guy is stuck next to someone with Tackle, and you have to decide if you want to risk burning the RR or risk having your player punched next turn, as the elf coach).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  19. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    What should I take for my MA 10, Sprint blodge gutter? Leap, Sure Feet, SS, something else. Leaning towards sidestep then leap or least likely sure feet.

20. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Depending on his role. If he is mainly the 1TTD threat sure feat or leap. Otherwise SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.