Tactics Skill allocation advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubberson

Star Player
Cyanide Username
Chubberson
Country Flag
Yeah that was actually my gut feel Akirilus. Then Piling On about MD4 :) I'll leave it until the schedule is out before. If I face Smoked, You and Gusya three out of the first five it'll likely be Dirty Player, barring that, its MB. Best of luck up there Aki!!

20phoenix

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
20phoenix
Country Flag
Giving him sprint seems to have already committed him to the natural one turner role so sure feet. Otherwise sidestep

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Giving him sprint seems to have already committed him to the natural one turner role so sure feet. Otherwise sidestep

I play him on all drives since he's blodged up. If its all about one turner capacity leap is better I would think, assuming they set up in the standard line at the back, you only make 1 3+ instead of a 3+ and a 4+, plus I like the options leap opens up on the regular offence. Only thing about it is of course it means more dice to roll instead of more re-rolls but if I take leap now it synergizes well if he gets a double for VLL or 11 for agi whereas if I take sure feet now then a special role next level is much less useful.

Still not convinced I shouldn't go with ss though.

Last edited:

NieA7

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
NieA7
Cyanide Username
Under7
Country Flag
If you've taken sprint then it's a bit of a waste to not make 3GFI with him on a semi-regular basis, but there's only a 55%ish chance of passing those three rolls - I'd go for sure feet. Then again I wouldn't have taken sprint in the first place ;)

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
+Yeah yeah I know, none of you skill up hipsters would have taken sprint :p Hell I've avoided it myself in the past but with just one skill up you make it almost impossible to set up properly for a 1ttd attempt since you either make it easy for the Juan turner or for the other gutters on the team. That's easily worth 20k TV and it was instrumental and allowing me to score three times last game even when heavily outnumbered so I think this is one case where I'm going to go with mainstream.

Not sure the ability to score in one turn is worth 40k though, hence why I'm not keen on sure feet. Just because he has sprint doesn't mean he has to be JUST a one turner.

NieA7

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
NieA7
Cyanide Username
Under7
Country Flag
Sure feet's more useful in open play than sprint :p

Everblue

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I would take sure feet. Having a natural one turner makes a vast difference and is almost impossible to stop.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Sure feet seems to be the consensus and I probably won't regret it. I do want to emphasize again that the point of sprint is that threat of it is almost as powerful as using it but you lot obviously just don't appreciate my genius :D

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
For the Rat Sure Feet or sidestep. Surefeet makes a 1 turner that much more reliable (even with the backline placement it should be 3+2+ dodging, with dodge against a 3+ with no reroll for leap - which I think works out about the same success ratio without crunching the numbers). On the other hand for more general play then Side step will provide more advantage in normal time and will help keep it alive.

If you had rolled a double then two heads all the way as that turns your rat into a super rat, but as for leap I tend to consider it a skill that should only be given to ag5 players because otherwise the failure chance is just too high and it will eat rerolls.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Went with SS, but since this was a bit of a controversial one I thought I'd respond with some thoughts. As I say for me the MA 10 Sprint is as much about the threat as anything else, and having a back up plan. This was demonstrated in the last game when it forced Cram to set up with a line at the back and three on the LOS. I put mr Juan on the line initially but plan A was always to try to get Shoofly the pushes he needed as his two heads made the dodges much easier. Had I failed to get pushes I could have still tried with Juan but as it was I needed him to fill in a gap and Shoofly scored. Later in the game when I was down to 6 or 7 players with 4 turns to score having the one turn option was also invaluable (though in hindsight I should have stalled for one turn because Cram scored in 3 pretty easily and he could only have been hit by an unskilled hobo).

Still I think this example illustrates why I like to have the sprint and I think its easily worth 20k. BUT and its a big BUT, I don't want to use him as a specialized one turner, because one turning only comes up like 1/3 games (off the top of my head estimate) and even with a sure feet MA 10 the odds of succeeding are not that great (add two heads and it becomes a bit of a different story). So you'll score a one turner every 5 or 6 games or so unless you're specifically looking for one and for me that's a poor return on investment. But MA 10 is great in general and with blodgestep he becomes and awesome nuisance and offensive threat.

As for leap, I feel like Skaven have to have the threat. I've done without a leaper for a long time now but my win rate has not been all that great. Having the clawpomb does give you some kind of a threat to the slow cage grind, but it only works occassionally. 3+ leaps aren't that bad, Wardancers and Slann do them all the time and its great to have the option for when other things aren't working, I really think Skaven needs that. But this wasn't the player to take it on, I really need my dauntless wripballer to have it so that's what I'll do, once I've broken the BC scoring record with Laxepudding of course :). If a gutter dies I'm building wrestle, dauntless, leap as my next one to get the threat going a bit faster, tackle and stripbal are luxury skills for this player.

Anyway thanks for all the input.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
My niggled OFL fouling wood elf lino snagged another MVP and crossed the barrier to get a second skill..

Wrestle, Dodge or Sneaky Git?
(Can't afford to sack her anyway, so bloating it is)

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Well, sacking would put me down to 11 players and 80k inducements against Barmution and his Chaos Dwarves, which does seem like a poor place to be.

At least a niggled lino needs to be blitzed (or foul) before getting depitched. :p

JimmyFantastic

Star Player
Country Flag
Wrestle then if you must keep him for a game. 80k is indeed a crap amount of inducements.

Last edited:

Midros

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Hell Pit's main thrower and crowd favourite (gets half my MVPs it seems), has rolled another normal roll.

Jimmy has Block, accurate, leader currently.

Options seem to be, KOR, safe throw, fend or NOS.

I'm thinking KOR to possibly safe me a pick up roll/get it caged faster although as rats normally your faster than your opponent but useful vs elves especially.

I don't throw over people with Jimmy often for safe throw and he doesn't usually pass/catch in TZs. He does get on the field a bit on D if a runner is injured so fend could save him a bit.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.