1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice III

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claaaams

claaaams Member

Country Flag:
    Great points, all. Thanks Boffa!

2. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Take Block. It will make your TG live longer, and he'll be able to throw the occasional 2d without worrying (too much) about eating a RR or turning over.

3. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Nope, no Strip Ball yet. The Woodie team is newer than I thought, neither of the War Dancers have a single SPP yet.

After going back and forth I do think I am going to take Sure Hands first though.

As for the Zombie I think I am going Dirty Player. The only two teams I am really afraid of are the Woodies and a Skaven team that may not make the Elimination Round. If the DP Zombie can make either of those coaches do anything they wouldn't otherwise do it will be worth it.

No love for Kick on Zombies?

As for the Block on the Zombie, it isn't a huge oops but I was previously wanting Kick and DP on the first two to level, then I was going Block on everyone else. So more a matter of timing than a bad skill.

4. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    That's debatable because committing against a Strength 5 Guard player is risky especially against a team with 8 str4+ players on its roster.

5. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    So take Guard and don't ask for advice then.

6. akirilus

Country Flag:
    True, although teams with 8 Str 4+ players are not the norm (unless you are in the OCC, in which case it's every tier 2 elf team).

My reasoning for Block was that in a "normal" setting it discourages people from targeting that particular TG. If I have a Str 3 killer, or even a Str 4 one, I still need 2+ assists to get a 2d block against a TG, assuming I have enough Guard to get it done in the first place. If I am committing that many resources to a TG hit, i want to maximize the potential impact, so I will almost certainly target one who does not have Block - it gives me a 75% chance to get him on the ground. I would even seriously consider throwing a 1d block against a Block-less TG, and -2d to move him out of position (30% turnover vs. 25% KD vs. 45% pushing him away) is a decent end-of-turn play. But if the TG has Block, all those options go out the window. A 33% KD chance on a 1d block doesn't excite me, and a 55% chance to do nothing or turnover on a -2d suddenly becomes worse than staying put or trying to dodge away on a 3+ (or even 4+). I mean, in a pinch most aggressive coaches will try these things anyway, but in the normal flow of game, taking blocks with a 33% chance of positive outcome is generally not the way to go (unless the positioning really just doesn't matter in that situation).

I do see your point - I just think Block for a TG is a gift from Nuffle, and is arguably THE skill to have (everything else you can get on a normal level up, which imo would be Guard, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm and Break Tackle in the order of your choosing).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Yeah I know your right, the whole point of my post was to see if I could convince myself to ignore the double in favour of Guard but I really don't think I can justify it though I'm going to be looking to put touch downs on that Guardian to get it up to 16spp asap!

8. akirilus

Country Flag:
    You can definitely talk yourself into taking Guard - I just don't think you should :) .

TG TDs are awesome - I hope you get a couple!

9. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    I think that's the right call. Failig to pick up the ball against Woodies or Skavens can easily cost you the game.

I like kick for zombies, but the problem is where to put the player on defense? You already have 3 on the LOS. So generally my kicker must also be my DP, because I don't want either a kick player or DP on the line.

10. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Ok I got a superstar pro elf lino :confused:

He's got block, dodge, kick, +ag and a normal skill.

Sure hands or leap basically. Thoughts? (team has no leap/sure hands on anyone else)

11. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Leap or Strip Ball.

12. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Maybe Tackle? Leap is probably better, but if you are light on Tackle I'd consider it on a Lino.

13. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Don't think i would go sure hands on the kicker. Tackle sounds nice. Tackle, strip ball or leap all sound like they could be usefull.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    AG 5 = Leap. Shame he got kick before it but nvm.

15. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    That made me drop off my chair and burst out in laughter :D

Boffa, take leap. That kinda player messes your oppo's mind all the time even if you don't use him.

16. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    Fend maybe?

17. Midros

Midros Member

Country Flag:
    So my skaven SV, Hell Pit killer Archon rolled 11 on his level up.

Already has clawpomb and tackle.

I don't see the need to take agi, although it would be somewhat useful a normal would probably be just as useful and less bloat.

So I was thinking the main options I would consider are grab, dauntless and juggs.

Juggs to deal with SF and wrestle elves.

Dauntless to deal with high str characters (horns would be nicer but hes not going to level again anytime soon).

Grab to deal with SS and to also give me the option of PO without having to follow up to see the armour roll.

Question with juggs tho as I don't have it very often. Can you use it to cancel wrestle and hence use block to knock them down or just turn the both down into a push?

Cheers, Mid

18. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    horns is another option Mid. Juggs is ment to cancel wrestle but I'm not sure how it works with cyanide.

19. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Juggs does cancel wrestle so you can knock them down on a :both down: though its a bit fiddly. You have to turn juggs on in the block box (green tick) the say no when it prompts you about using juggs, try it in hot seat.

I'd go juggs, horns if it was a double but since it isn't..
    Good arguments to be made for agi 4 but I'm on a real efficiency kick these days...

20. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    oh right not underworld.. I'd go juggs to its a pain for wrestlers and cancels fend which is nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.