1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolai II

    Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    12,230
    Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Since the third thread has also gone past a thousand replies, here's a new thread to ask about what skill upgrade would be most useful for your player.

    Minimum information is of course what the player is (race, position) and which skill (s)he already has, but giving some general idea about the rest of your team and the environment you are playing in (which league/which kind of league) can also be useful for getting good advice.

    Link to old threads:
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/skill-allocation-advice-t759/
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/skill-allocation-advice-ii-t3098/
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/skill-allocation-advice-iii-t4304/
     
  2. Ging

    Ging Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,838
    Location:
    Brighton
    Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the responses on this in the previous thread.
    I guess the choice of SF or SS will come down to whether I think I'll get better value out of him being able to mark 1 player really well, like a ball carrier (SF), or being more generally annoying and able to reposition with SS. Hmmm...
     
  3. JimmyFantastic

    JimmyFantastic Member

    Messages:
    241
    Country Flag:
    SS keeps him alive better too, which could be a factor for a wimpy human mans.
     
  4. Ging

    Ging Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,838
    Location:
    Brighton
    Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Keeping blitzers alive is something we've definitely struggled with.
    We did have a Tackle/POMB/JU guy about 4 seasons ago, but since his death by fireball we've never been able to get a replacement beyond 16 SPP.
    The two exceptions are the two Superstars though, but neither are killers.
     
  5. tys123

    tys123 Courier Staff

    Messages:
    2,833
    Country Flag:
    Guard gutter runner rolls a double at level 3.
    Block , 2 heads or another mutation.

    Team has only played 6 games so no other players really relevant.
     
  6. TravelScrabble

    TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    7,191
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada (UTC -4)
    Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    2 heads is really nice for getting that guard where it need to be, you can probably wait on block
     
  7. Znarx

    Znarx Courier Staff

    Messages:
    2,559
    Location:
    California GMT-8
    Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Wood Elf team. The only Catcher I have on the team has Block + Dauntless, and just rolled 12. If I got the strength increase first, I probably would have taken Tackle or something else instead of Dauntless, but I still should take the strength, right? My division has very few teams with players that are STR 4 or higher, so ST 3 Dauntless players aren't very good in my division. (But this is a Crunch Cup team, so it could be more useful in the playoffs or in future seasons).
     
  8. crimsonsun

    crimsonsun Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,793
    Location:
    Kent, Uk
    Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    +Str, block, tackle, fend, KoR Throw Ra achieved Legendary status.. What should I give him??
     
  9. notafunhater

    notafunhater Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,218
    Location:
    Utah, USA
    Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely take the +str. To do otherwise angers Nuffle. Now he can help hit 4str players as well if needed. And it lets you field more catchers than you normally would as you don't have such a strength disadvantage.
     
  10. notafunhater

    notafunhater Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,218
    Location:
    Utah, USA
    Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    All right here we go with the end-of-season levels for my dark elf Disciples in the OCC.

    Lanys T'Vyl - dodge, frenzy, jump up + +1 str, wrestle, MB has rolled a 6+4. I was probably going to give her sidestep or tackle before, but I'm thinking the movement will be key. A 5+5 would have been Pile On but I'm not sure if tackle would be better than movement.
    Dragoon Tsanne - block + dodge, guard, sidestep has rolled a normal. I'm trying to decide between tackle, fend, or jump up.

    Any other suggestions?

    Here's the rest of my roster:
    [​IMG]
     
  11. Street

    Street Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,620
    Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Id say pro, give you some free chances to reroll pushes into knockdowns, also could be used to try and help with dodging or recieving a hand off in a pinch when out of rerolls / used a reroll for the half.

    Stripball could be nice as well, but that depends on the rest of your team and if most other teams you face use sure hands players or not.
     
  12. tys123

    tys123 Courier Staff

    Messages:
    2,833
    Country Flag:
    Not much that throw-ra needs.
    If he wasn't a ballcarrier I would go for Frenzy but that means he can't blitz to push someone away before moving.
    Strip ball or Leader I guess.
    I don't like using Pro to reroll pushes as double skulls come up way too often.

    As for the Darkies take +MA on the witch and tackle on the blitzer.
     
  13. crimsonsun

    crimsonsun Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,793
    Location:
    Kent, Uk
    Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I went with strip ball as I already have a strength 4 frenzy juggs blitzer and my Killer uses Pro to improve his blocks or reroll jump ups but I generally only use this guy as a last resort for blitzing because with av7 I lose a LOT of Throw Ra's. While Leader was an option I don't feel it should be used on a str4 tackle players slot as adding to his tool set seems to me to be more important than providing a team reroll, generally I dislike leader in on going league situations but I do acknowledge that for Khemri to remain competitive we need to find ways to lessen our natural handicaps so Tv optimisation is one such method and I do put a lot of thought into optimisation in this regard which is why I wont take +ag on players other than Throw Ra's for instance.
     
  14. TravelScrabble

    TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    7,191
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada (UTC -4)
    Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Not sure about this, going from strength 2 to strength 3 is pretty questionable for 50k especially when you already have dauntless and dancers to do most of the work attacking ball carriers, guard might be a better option. Not saying you shouldn't take it but its not automatic for me.

    If you do go for the strength ss then dt next is what I'd recommend.
     
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. tys123

    tys123 Courier Staff

    Messages:
    2,833
    Country Flag:
    Can someone unsticky Skill allocation advice III and put this one in its place.
     
  16. Nikolai II

    Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    12,230
    Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Someone can and should really have done so already.
     
  17. Borke

    Borke Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,327
    Location:
    Hamburg
    Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    So, it's been a while since I really faced a skill conundrum, but this one really is a puzzle, and he deserves a picture:

    [​IMG]

    Usher Rabid III is a very special Gobbo, he doesn't do normal rolls, and so for his latest roll he conjured up another double. I've already posted this on the OCC forums, but I need to collect more opinions, as the crowd is divided between Horns (ignoring the double) and Tackle (to satisfy Nuffle, for general Gobbo awesomeness and to eventually have the ultimate Gobbo with his next skill, assuming it comes up normal).

    Here are some numbers I put together, to give perspective to the two options:

    Wrestle/Strip Ball + Tackle
    - vs. ST3 Block/Dodge/SH: 25% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of turnover.
    - vs. ST3 Block/Dodge: 69% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of turnover.
    - vs. ST3 Block/SH: 25% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of turnover.
    - vs. ST4 Block/Dodge/SH: 25% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of turnover.
    - vs. ST4 Block/Dodge: 69% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of turnover.
    - vs. ST4 Block/SH: 25% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of turnover.

    Wrestle/Strip Ball + Horns
    - vs. ST3 Block/Dodge/SH: 33% chance to pop the ball lose, 17% chance of a turnover.
    - vs. ST3 Block/Dodge: 83% chance to pop the ball lose, 17% chance of a turnover.
    - vs. ST3 Block/SH: 50% chance to pop the ball lose, 17% chance of a turnover.
    - vs. ST4 Block/Dodge/SH: 11% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of a turnover.
    - vs. ST4 Block/Dodge: 69% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of a turnover.
    - vs. ST4 Block/SH: 25% chance to pop the ball lose, 31% chance of a turnover.

    What should I do? What would you do?
     
  18. TravelScrabble

    TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    7,191
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada (UTC -4)
    Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Tackle, build the ultimate gobbo and also because even at str 3 you're going to be looking at -2d blocks a when blitzing the bc a lot of the time (hell most of the time) unless you have an equally awesome guard goblin but I'm guessing you don't.
     
  19. St Cloud

    St Cloud Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,228
    Location:
    Germany; GMT+1
    Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    I agree with TS. Tackle is to good to turn up i think.
     
  20. Nikolai II

    Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    12,230
    Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Another option would be dauntless. A bit worse against ST 3 carriers, a bit better against ST4+ ones.

    But tackle is probably better. Put guard on your next twoheaded gobbo to roll doubles and hilarity ensues :p
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.