1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignStrike

SovereignStrike Member

Cyanide Username:
    SovereignStrike
    Country Flag:
    I was going to pick frenzy but then I saw the Cyanide proposed skill is dauntless. Quite a bit of strength teams coming up, anyone with experience on this kind of piece with dauntless?

2. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    It depends, imo. First of all - those are insane gutter runners, and grats on having them :) . But second - how do you envision using the STR 4 / Horns guy? If my math is right, this is his 5th skill, so he's essentially done (until he gets Legend in 20 games, perhaps). He obviously makes a superb blitzer, but you have a different GR better suited for cage sacking. You might also have a good SW (I haven't seen the rest of the squad) who makes more sense as a "damage dealer". Since you only get 1 blitz per turn, I am not sure what the STR 4 guy's role will be. If he is going to carry the ball, then Side Step is probably the best choice. If he is going to play safety, then Tackle or Frenzy. I would give preference to Frenzy because he is a legitimate threat to surf stuff, and unless you are fielding a Rat Ogre (which I bet you aren't), this guy becomes your sideline patroller. That would be my suggestion, at any rate - I am basing this more on theory and the options I like having rather than any practical experience playing Skaven.

P.S. Because he blitzes at effective STR 5, with Frenzy he is 2 assists away from throwing 2x 3d blocks against anything with normal strength. That's nice.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  3. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    I guess Cyanide ignores STR and Horns when suggesting Dauntless. It's quite useless here.

Go with Frenzy or Tackle. (If you get another double, take Claw...) Frenzy lets you surf anywhere on the pitch, Agi 4 and MA 10 are amazing for that. Tackle is more defensive for getting that key player down; but they say that Frenzy is a poor man's Tackle anyway.

4. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Frenzy seems good. A range super surfer...nice. Can't go wrong with tackle though as well.

Doubles next would be Jugger for me.

5. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Trying to rebuild my experienced Underworld team -- by which I mean, both of my blitzers got killed last season and I need to train up a pair of rookies.

At this time, the only really skilled players on the team are one of the throwers (Block/Aim/ExtraArm/KOR), the troll (Block/Tents/Claws/SF/FA), and one of the goblins (DP/+1AG/BigHand). Some of the other gobbos have 2 Heads (one also has Wrestle) and one linerat has Dodge.

One of the blitzers managed to level last season and got +1 AG, which I took while gritting my teeth (I had wanted to rebuild a pair of killers).

Today both blitzers leveled up at the end of our match. The rookie rolled nothing special and took Mighty Blow, and should be developed ordinarily as a killer (which is fitting as he's killed two opponents already, despite one being saved by apothecary). The +1 AG blitzer (Zeem Warpfire) rolled doubles!

Now I had been expecting to just take MB on Zeem and develop him as another killer, just a bit more slowly and with the advantages of high agility. However, the doubles roll opens up the possibility of Dodge or Jump Up.

I'm leaning towards Dodge, as it would be useful now as opposed to Jump Up which wouldn't really shine until Zeem got MB, Claw, and PO (all normal roll skills for him). However, that means basically cutting a killer from my team.

BUT, it also means adding a pretty cool player, comparable to a gutter runner with Block, +1 STR, better armor, and... well, a couple of smashed ankles.

My questions are:

* Should I go Dodge, Jump Up, or plain old Mighty Blow with this guy?

* If I go Dodge, how should I develop him after that? I thought of taking Sure Feet to make him even more of a grunner wannabe. Seems like he'd be a real receiving threat. Remember, he can take mutations on normal rolls.

* If I go Dodge and develop Zeem as something other than a killer, what do people think of me trying to develop my other (near rookie) thrower as a killer? At level 2, he has Block, could take Claw on a normal roll, and only needs one double to take Mighty Blow.

6. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    Either Dodge and make him into more of a utility, or Sidestep and make him into a surfer by picking Frenzy. As for developing the thrower as a killer, it's not a bad idea, though obviously it'd be easier to develop each within their own specialties as opposed to mixing it up. Just my two pence.

7. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'd go dodge yeah, gives you a pretty good receiver who doesn't need to worry about animosity.

As for the thrower I'd roll the double for mb before I'd invest in claw as its not that good without it.

8. JimmyFantastic

JimmyFantastic Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah Dodge seeing as you have +AG. Pity he wasn't MB Claw though eh?

9. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Dodge it is. I agree, TS, a lot will depend on what that thrower rolls on his next level up -- but I have a hunch it'll be a double.

10. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    My +AG Thrall rolled doubles. It's Dodge, right, or am I missing something obvious?

11. SovereignStrike

SovereignStrike Member

Cyanide Username:
    SovereignStrike
    Country Flag:
    Dodge seems like the obvious choice. (Unless you want to play a passing game, I guess. And even then... dodge does wonder for a passer's mobility.)

12. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    A Rat like that is going to be a huge target, and unlike most Runners is good enough you really want him to live. I'd go for maximum survivability, especially since you've got the ball sacking angles covered by other Runners, which means Sidestep so you can avoid chained blocks. Sidestep also dovetails well with him being great at carrying the ball for those times when you don't want to score too quickly, and for marking when on defense.

For the last skill (should you ever get there!) I'd take either Fend for even more survivability, or Diving Tackle or Shadowing to make him better at marking. Probably Shadowing so you can't be left open to a foul if they Dodge away.

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Just to rub it in: Dauntless would be used by a ST4 horns player only when..
    A) Blitzing St6+
    B) Blocking St5+

Ain't all that common for a Mv9 Ag4 player to be locked up there.

I like the frenzy option now that it is on the table. It beats all the options.

14. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I took frenzy - I like that it gives the team an extra dimension. I'm not too worried about protection skills at this point - its a cup team so longevity isnt a concern. My motto with gutters and skaven in general is, live fast, die young.

15. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    Thick skull is amazing on thrall doubles.

(Ducks and runs away)

16. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    :D I personally advocate taking Multiple Block - Thick Skull is arguably fairly useful while I doubt the same can be said about my pick.

17. SovereignStrike

SovereignStrike Member

Cyanide Username:
    SovereignStrike
    Country Flag:
    Well, I was in reality talking about my normal strength definitely not horned High Elf blitzer :)

18. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    For ST2 players who can get it on normal skills, or ST3 players on teams with no ST4+ (non-big-guy) players, dauntless does have it's definite uses.

19. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Pass for that AG4 thrall. His job is to retrieve the ball and pass it to a vampire ASAP. (subject to risk management considerations ofc :D)

20. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'd agree with this..... Or leader.... Cheap reroll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.