1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Nikolai II, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Guard, two heads, or horns right? That much mobile guard would be tough to stop, but I do like having two gutters that can blitz STR3 players with only 1 assist. But if you don't start rolling more +AG having two heads is really important to getting gutters safely out of the boxes they get put in by your opponent... So all 3!

2. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    When a Block/Tackle/Side Step Witch Elf rolls normal, should she get Fend? The other alternative is Leap - but that's more to make impossible scores possible rather than to help her do what she does (which is a little bit of everything). So maybe Leap is a good choice. Not sure which one to go with, but leaning towards Fend.

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Given she's one of your few av 7 pieces I'd take fend, its good for long term survival.

4. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    If you want to keep her around Fend, if you're not that bothered given 4 levels and no stats or doubles then Leap will be more fun, not too difficult to skill up a new Witch if she Leaps into trouble.

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd go for Fend on the witch.

I went for 2 heads on my wrestle gutter. Horns would be nice but he can get dauntless later. Running through screens on 2+ seems more important.

6. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    A rookie Zombie on my BC Necro team rolled a 6+4 (Alan Greenscale reincarnated, btw). The team, if you don't know it, is quite high level (2100k TV), if slightly beaten up. Hardly any rookies, so this Zombie is definitely LOS material. There are three things I'm considering (and I probably overlooked some options as well):

- Block; can't go wrong with Block on the LOS, and it definitely works well with the Stand Firm / Side Step theme the team's got going, as the general game plan is to prevent the opponent from moving anything.
    - +AV; Zombies are great at getting knocked down and then getting up again, and +AV increases the reliability of that plan.
    - Kick; I don't have anyone with Kick on the team at the moment. On the other hand, I don't think there's any room for that, I usually have to sit a Ghoul out on defense as is.

So my main question is: Do you think +AV has any value over Block for an LOS Zombie?

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    No block is better than AV.
    However I would go for wrestle.
    It reduces the number of hits taken on the Los as a BD result with block means someone else usually gets to hit you as well.
    It also means you can stand up and foul or mark the player who wrestled you down.
    I consider a zombies main job is to stand next to a Bob or Warrior to stop them moving.
    Wrestle does this better than block as if the bob/warrior has to stand up he is not hitting you so can't break armour.

8. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Definitely agree with Tys that you shouldn't take AV+. I've seen AV9 zombies - and I'm not impressed. Yeah, they are harder to stun on a normal hit, but the truly dangerous things have Claw, and you are also increasing the odds (to be more correct - you are not decreasing the odds, given that this zombie is now level 2 and worth 50% more TV than before) of an armor check by forgoing Block or Wrestle.

My personal preference is Block, because I want the zombies to take up space, if possible. What tys says is 100% valid, however - Wrestle makes them more annoying "big guy markers". I don't think you can go wrong with either. They are both clearly superior to AV+ in my book.

Also, consider taking DP - a level 2 zombie is a superb candidate for that, if you don't have one already.

I personally wouldn't take Kick because now that zombie has to line up in a spot normally reserved for a positional. But you could - Necro have the speed to benefit from a well placed kickoff, especially if you get a Blitz! or Perfect D to go along with it.

9. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    If you're on the LOS against a developed bash team then I like wrestle over block. As Tys said, not giving them two or three chances with Claw/MB can be important. And most bash teams hate their line getting wrestled down, and they may even use a RR to keep it from happening. For newer teams I prefer block over wrestle.

10. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Two quick questions whilst I wait for my game to be validated. Not particularly tricky questions, but I am feeling impatient so want to ask to put my mind off waiting.

My Underworld team are in a mostly heavily armoured but lower TV division this season:

My Claw/Stand Firm troll has levelled. Would Guard be the next best choice on a normal? I think it would. I’d take Tentacles if there were more mobile teams about, but there aren’t.

My -MA PO/MB/Jump Up Storm Vermin has levelled. It has to be Claw, right? I can’t think that a double would be worth it either – he needs to get Claw-Tackle-Horns, I think.

11. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    @lawastooshort
    Both sound sensible picks for individual player progression, given the heavily-armoured opposition.

12. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
    Couple of skill choices for my BC humans, Pixel Mafia.

Team Roster:
    [​IMG]

#5 Usagi Yojimbo (blitzer currently Block/MB)
    He's (hopefully) going to be the killer and was going to take PO next, but he's rolled 1+1. Should I postpone PO for another 14 SPP and get Jump Up instead?

#9 Wizball (catcher currently +MA)
    Normal roll, so its either Block or Wrestle.
    Usually I like to have one Block/SS catcher (#7 Sonic III) and one Wrestle/Dauntless/StripBall catcher.
    Should I still stick with the Wrestle route here for Wizball, or does his +MA make him also more suited to a Block/SS route?

13. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I would take the Jump Up while you can and probably the Wrestle, it just means he can reach further. However, I am not a humans expert.

Also, thank you.

Nice Blitzer name by the way :)

14. Ikoma

Ikoma Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ikoma
    Country Flag:
    I would say the +MA makes him more suited to the Wrestle route. Standing up (w/o Jump Up) takes 3 movement. So a faster catcher can Wrestle someone down and the get up next turn and move further.

Oh, and take the Jump Up on the Blitzer. It combos so perfectly w/ the Piling On. And it's still useful now. Free extra blocks even after he's knocked down? Nice. Not paying the 3 MV to blitz or mark someone? Super nice.

15. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Hello again,

My +AG, Pass Thrall has rolled a normal for level 4.

Block to live, or Sure Hands to do his job better?

16. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    SH - he shouldn't ever be getting hit

17. mrt1212

mrt1212 Member

Country Flag:
    Bet he dies in a stupid way like failed dodge or GFI. Leveraging the AG4 to save a reroll for vampires is huge. You generally don't want to use your vampires to carry Surehands as a skill because there are so many better skills available all the time.

18. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    I would give him block to be honest. Yes he shouldn't get hit, but vampire teams collapse from time to time and occasionally he'll get punched.

19. Ging

Ging Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ging
    Country Flag:
  20. Arthur Wynne

Arthur Wynne Member

Country Flag:
    Got a wealth of SPP from the last match with my Dark Elves, and leveled 4 players!

The Witch Elf rolled normals and didn't have Block, so that was a simple decision, but the others are slightly trickier:

- The only skilled Lineman on the team (Wrestle/Tackle) was going to get Dodge, but then I rolled doubles. I guess the conventional wisdom is Guard, but is one Guard (it would be the only Guard on my team) that useful, especially on someone who's developed to be more of a sacker? Maybe I should get Dodge anyway, or is there another good Double skill?

- Rookie Assassin rolled normal. I was thinking Dodge but Block, Side Step and even Diving Tackle are all in consideration.

- Finally, the +ST -MA Blodge Blitzer rolled +ST again! I was going to take Tackle, but I guess I can't turn down Nuffle's gift of an AG 4 no-drawback Big Guy, even though his cost would be a whopping 220. A double might be worth taking though - Guard or Mighty Blow probably.

Edit: To clarify, because on its face taking +ST on a Blitzer looks like a decision nobody should need advice to make, I was having second thoughts about the utility of ST 5 over ST 4 - they're the same when attacking ST 3 players, after all. The benefits are mainly in blocking other ST 4 players, and in defense. They are far from insignificant, but I'm not sure if they're worth the cost over a good double pick.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.