Tactics Skill allocation advice IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Due to recent time constraints I haven't been particularly active on the forums, but I need some advice for the OCC Necro team.

A terrible start to the season notwithstanding (3 games in I'm sitting on two points), Snaps at Fleas the junior werewolf caused enough damage to hit level 6, and promptly rolled 3+3, which from memory is literally the only type of double my wolves ever manage. Still, it's a double, and opens up interesting possibilities. Here's what the wolf looks like:

Snaps at Fleas - Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Dauntless, MA-, Frenzy, Claw, Regeneration

There are two choices here that are both really good. The obvious one is Piling On. The slightly less obvious but very desirable one is Juggernaut. Any advice? I am leaning slightly towards Juggs atm. The division I'm in is full of elves, but of course this is OCC, so I have no idea what it will be like next season. Also, I've already played 3 out of 5 elf games on the schedule, so juggs won't help me against those wrestlers any more. My other wolf is a killer:

Hides in Bushes - Block, Dodge, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Jump Up, Frenzy, Claw, Regeneration

My wights are exactly what you would expect them to be:

Anton the Unstoppable - Guard, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Block
Inon Zur the Malevolent - Guard, Block

I don't think the ghouls or golems factor much into this decision - one ghoul is a dedicated carrier, the other is a 0 SPP rookie; both golems have Block and Guard, one also has Grab.

Thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Arthur Wynne

Super Star Player
Country Flag
@Filadeus -Dodge. Easily. Guard might be better for the team in the short term, but Mighty Blow and Guard are both normals for him. He can get those later. Blodge AG 4 is super good -take it from an elf coach.

NieA7

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
NieA7
Cyanide Username
Under7
Country Flag
@Aki, normally I'd say Juggs over PO for a wolf but Snaps is already slightly gimped by the -MA and well kitted out for taking out bashers with dauntless - I'd be tempted to take PO and use him more aggressively than Hides.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Juggernaut is a nice thing to have to shift or surf those heavy standfirmers.

PO is for killing big guys, which is less certain but might be more scary for the opponent.

Znarx

Courier Staff
Cyanide Username
Znarx
Country Flag
On my Wood Elf team, I have a War Dancer who rolled 5+5, so I have a choice of +MV, +AV, or the double roll. He already has Strip Ball, Tackle, and Mighty Blow. The other Dancer has Strip Ball, Tackle, Side Step, and Diving Tackle. I have no +MV on the team. 2 players on the team have Guard. The only other noteworthy player on the team is a ST3, Block, Dauntless catcher.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Go PO if you are feeling crazy.
Guard is a reasonable call.
However I would go for the MA.

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I ended up embracing violence and going PO on the secondary wolf, mostly to double the number of threats. He is not quite as effective after he POs without JU, but it makes him better at stunning and removing nasty things. Juggs will have to be the purview of one of the Wights, if they ever level up.

Borke

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Borke
Country Flag
Znarx, I feel that you cannot ignore the +MA. Juggernaut is an interesting skill, but better killing is not how you win games as Wood Elves. Also, longer reach also increases the killing range ;)

SovereignStrike

Veteran
Cyanide Username
SovereignStrike
Country Flag
What Juggernaut does is that if they don't have sure hands, 5/6 chances of popping the ball loose on a 1D block. Could also help oneturning against pesky stand firm players.

lawastooshort

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
lawastooshort
Country Flag
An admin win just levelled up three of my UKBBL Underworld players! I thought these were all obvious, but I’m not 100% about the two linerats.

One rookie linerat rolled a double. My first thought was Guard, but 1/ he’ll die soon (I don’t think any of the linerats on this team have lasted beyond their first skill in four seasons) and 2/ I didn’t give my second stormvermin Guard yet because I probably don’t need more Guard than on the Troll, or do I? Two headed goblins usually help out with assisting very well. So then I thought Dodge, which seems the right choice, except 1/ some Wrestle would be useful, 2/ he’ll die soon and 3/ I’ll probably need to buy another rookie goblin (see next point)

The other rookie linerat rolled +AG. It seems stupid not to take this.

The main problem is that (he’ll die soon and) because I’ve got 4-5 levelled up Goblins, for the last season or so the linerats have often stood on the LOS to spare the levelled Goblins. I can’t really put a +AG or a Dodge linerat on the LOS, so I’ll need to get another gobbo or two to do it, and so increase my TV even more (without getting the Wrestle I’d like for ballcarriers yet). It’s around 1650 at the moment I think, with 14 players after the last game.

I’m very slightly tempted to just take Wrestle/Wrestle for immediate and cheap utility… But I am sure I shouldn’t.

Any thoughts? (got to choose by tonight…)

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
I'd go for MB on the double. It will get him to level 3 quicker for block and can then get claw to become a 3rd blitzer at level 4. You will however need someone else for the LoS.

+AG is less useful as 2 headed gobbos dodge better , big hand picks up in tz's better and the throwers can pass better. It just means he can do a bit of everything when what he really needs to do is hit stuff.

lawastooshort

Super Star Player
Cyanide Username
lawastooshort
Country Flag
Thank you

I don't know why I didn't think of MB, when I've done that before on a different team... I think it's because he doesn't already have Block. I'll probably go for that.

Favouring Wrestle over +AG at the moment.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Soo, beginning my new adventure as UW I just got my first 2 skills: blitzer and thrower.

Blitzer got MB
Thrower rolled double: what shall I give him?

Tjorne

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
.marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
Country Flag
As someone who has little UW experience I would recommend Dodge for the Thrower. You can get Two Heads next or after Block.

But of course you could always wait for some better founded advice. ;)

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
It is really between Dodge and MB.
One of your 2 throwers wants to be the main ballcarrier.
Dodge would be followed by Block , Extra Arms and 2 heads
The other option is to make this the 2nd choice ballcarrier.
MB would be followed by Block , Claw and then whatever skills you are lacking.

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
In a my golden shoes are too tight situation, one of my ST4 Amazon Blitzer just got her 2nd skill up and rolled a double. Now so far I am short of Guard and Tackle with only 2 Guard and no tackle but I am tempted by Side Step. It will delay her development and the teams development but would start her down the path of a truly great player. Can you guys think of something else? I would chose Guard if it's not an double skill just because I am a Guard fan boy.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Sidestep and Stand Firm are similar skills but I actually prefer SF to SS on zon blitzers.
I would go for Guard and MB before either of them though.

Jump Up however is worth thinking about. It increases her range and allows a block from the ground by a player that is unlikely to need a guard assist. I probably wouldn't take PO though just Guard, MB , Tackle or SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.